ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako

Also, why would you want a guy who doesn't want to be there?
Sometimes they’ll fight it if they try to stay in conference Message being if you want this to be quick go out of conf. The release would eventually be granted in most cases but not without headache

How 'bout if a school withdraws its scholarship offer, despite there being a signed "Letter of Intent?" Is that a "bad look" for the school as well? Is there EVER a "bad look" for some dopey kid?
OFC
It may look bad but no one has the balls to say it publicly

Privately I jokingly talked shit to my buddy about Mgbako being scared to fight for minutes against a 7 foot dorky white guy, but in reality these OAD kids get 35 games to show themselves with millions of dollars on the line. They want to - and they SHOULD want to - go somewhere they can really show out over those 35 games. If he didn't think Duke was the right place for him to do that, then who am I to second guess him? Good luck to him. Was looking forward to watching him progress all season, but this should be an enjoyable season with or without him.

How about Dickinson from Michigan ?
I’d say no. His game is too similar to Flips IMO, Flip is just a little better. We need a shot blocking, defensive center, someone who can crash the glass and throw down some nasty dunks.

Edwards, Holmes, or Shedrick are much better fits. Though an argument can be made that Dickinson is the best college player of any of those.

It's trending towards crazy talk thinking Duke could get Mitchell, Proctor, and Flip back, while bringing in five 5 star recruits, and think there wouldn't be any fallout. This is also without fully knowing what Roach will do. If he decides Duke is what he wants, there will be more fallout.
And on the subject of the center Duke is 'maybe' going after? Someone like Shedrick from UVA would mesh nicely. We don't need a stud. A serviceable, athletic big will more than do the job. The big from Michigan will be a clog.

Talent is needed, don't get me wrong. But not everyone can do the cooking. Someone has to wash the dishes.

It's trending towards crazy talk thinking Duke could get Mitchell, Proctor, and Flip back, while bringing in five 5 star recruits, and think there wouldn't be any fallout. This is also without fully knowing what Roach will do. If he decides Duke is what he wants, there will be more fallout.
And on the subject of the center Duke is 'maybe' going after? Someone like Shedrick from UVA would mesh nicely. We don't need a stud. A serviceable, athletic big will more than do the job. The big from Michigan will be a clog.

Talent is needed, don't get me wrong. But not everyone can do the cooking. Someone has to wash the dishes.
Well said. If we get a 3rd or 4th year 3 star 6'10 or taller center, that will be fabulous. Please do not Disrupt the Chemistry! Flip, Young, and Reeves are GOOD. Reeves is just the replacement for Lively! Sean and Powers will be good practice players and make opportunities for themselves when available.

Well said. If we get a 3rd or 4th year 3 star 6'10 or taller center, that will be fabulous. Please do not Disrupt the Chemistry! Flip, Young, and Reeves are GOOD. Reeves is just the replacement for Lively! Sean and Powers will be good practice players and make opportunities for themselves when available.
Not sure where everyone is getting this confidence in the fact that Reeves is going to be a big contributor next year. He didn’t do anything last year to make folks go “I can’t wait for Reeves to be our starting Center.” Getting Holmes or Shedrick would definitely solidify that front court and allow Young, Reeves, and Stewart the time and opportunity to play a big role as a sub. With Mgbako moving on, we will need Power to step up and be ready to go when Mitchell needs a break or has foul trouble. He’s the closest thing that we have to a SF outside of Mitchell.

Not sure where everyone is getting this confidence in the fact that Reeves is going to be a big contributor next year. He didn’t do anything last year to make folks go “I can’t wait for Reeves to be our starting Center.” Getting Holmes or Shedrick would definitely solidify that front court and allow Young, Reeves, and Stewart the time and opportunity to play a big role as a sub. With Mgbako moving on, we will need Power to step up and be ready to go when Mitchell needs a break or has foul trouble. He’s the closest thing that we have to a SF outside of Mitchell.
It’s really going to depend on match ups . You could go small at the 1-3 . Run Schutt in for a few minutes for Mitchell as well . I do think Mitchell returning is to improve his overall game as a hybrid 3/4 positional player. Powers actually benefits the most from Mitchell’s return especially going against him in practice. Reeves will play next season. Maybe not start but he will get minutes . He’s got the tools and talent .

It’s really going to depend on match ups . You could go small at the 1-3 . Run Schutt in for a few minutes for Mitchell as well . I do think Mitchell returning is to improve his overall game as a hybrid 3/4 positional player. Powers actually benefits the most from Mitchell’s return especially going against him in practice. Reeves will play next season. Maybe not start but he will get minutes . He’s got the tools and talent .

Reactions: sheyduke
Power generated a ton of buzz all summer that's for sure. Sounds like he can really shoot it which is refreshing for a 6'9 kid

Rumors floating around Duke approached him about leaving. Any truth to that insiders? Wouldn’t make much sense to me. Louisville and the Holes listed as top destinations right now.

I love seeing us play small ball, but don’t think that we will see much of it unless Roach comes back. Then, you will definitely see some small ball with Proctor or Foster, Roach, McCain, Mitchell, and Flip.

I'm hearing Kansas is making a big push for him.
For who? MgBako? Thought Louisville had him about wrapped up. On a different topic, Shedrick postponed/canceled his two only other announced OVs to Missouri and Kansas State. Think they were either scheduled this weekend or early next week. Only school he has been to on an OV is Duke.

For who? MgBako? Thought Louisville had him about wrapped up. On a different topic, Shedrick postponed/canceled his two only other announced OVs to Missouri and Kansas State. Think they were either scheduled this weekend or early next week. Only school he has been to on an OV is Duke.
Wow, that is very interesting. He's serviceable but as all the others said, he's plan C or D. However, his numbers aren't that bad.

I would like to know who is considered plan A,B, and C.
I think plan A was DeRon Holmes from Dayton, but he may not transfer, plan B was the center from UCONN that just declared for the NBA draft. Not sure who plan C was.

I think plan A was DeRon Holmes from Dayton, but he may not transfer, plan B was the center from UCONN that just declared for the NBA draft. Not sure who plan C was.
Exactly. I wonder if there is someone we are waiting for now not named Shedrick.

If we want Shedrick we might want to make him feel more wanted. "We really want you son; but only if these 5 guys say no." I haven't heard of any other good big man express interest in Duke. Sherick looks at least 25 pounds heavier than Lively, is a good defender and rim protector and decent scorer. And he has 2 years left. He fell out of favor with Bennett for some reason and he went with Vander Plass at the 5 this year. Shedrick was a 4 star in high school. I know Texas is making a push for him. We are reportedly the leader right now by a wide margin.

Last edited:
That’s because he wants Duke . It’s not saying Duke wants him .
Do you really want to see a big who basically is just like Young ? He wants Duke because he knows Reeves is coming off injury and they have only Young . Doesn’t mean he will be any better then a role player . I remember the same posters hyping Grandison and he wasn’t anything more then a role player at best .

Duke has reached out to him; they just haven't offered yet. And I hardly think Reeves and his 5 minutes of playing time this year is going to scare anyone away. I just explained why Shedrick is different from Young and how they can compliment each other. If Shedrick is willing to wait while we try to find someone better great but he may just go somewhere else. I get he's not a star but with Flip, Mitchell, Proctor and 3 5 star freshman we don't need any more stars. I'd be happy if we brought in a stud but I believe Shedrick is a great fit for this team.

Last edited:
Duke has reached out to him; they just haven't offered yet. And I hardly think Reeves and his 5 minutes of playing time this year is going to scare anyone away. I just explained why Shedrick is different from Young and how they can compliment each other. If Shedrick is willing to wait while we try to find someone better great but he may just go somewhere else.
And we didn’t learn that Reeves had ankle problems until last week . If Duke continues to settle for role players then your simply just recruiting over players already on the roster . I think this much Scheyer knows it’s also the reason why an offer has not been extended to Shedrick .
If he was truly a difference maker don’t you think an offer would have not already been made to him?

But it's no secret that we are reaching out to portal big men. So we are already recruiting over guys. We haven't replaced Lively. And with MM decommiting it opens up a spot. I admit Shedrick is not a home run; but he has 2 years experience playing in the ACC; started over 30 games for Virginia. He's also a big dude; he's built more like Flip than Lively or Reeves. At worst he's an experienced 6-11 240 pound body to throw in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsrule
I get your point about not seeing Reeves, however, why disrupt the chemistry? Flip, Reeves, and Young know the system and know what's needed for year 2 of the new staff. You bring in a kid demanding the ball more than Flip and Young, and there will be a problem. High Profile players are nice to discuss on paper, but in real time it can be a flaw instead of a piece missing.

That’s because he wants Duke . It’s not saying Duke wants him .
Do you really want to see a big who basically is just like Young ? He wants Duke because he knows Reeves is coming off injury and they have only Young . Doesn’t mean he will be any better then a role player . I remember the same posters hyping Grandison and he wasn’t anything more then a role player at best .
Now that's what I'm talking about Shey, A ROLE PLAYER. I'm praying the staff does not bring in a player wanting immediate touches. Reeves and Flip should be ready by the summer. Grandison, Young, Kale and Max played their roles. I want the same from the portal next season.

Now that's what I'm talking about Shey, A ROLE PLAYER. I'm praying the staff does not bring in a player wanting immediate touches. Reeves and Flip should be ready by the summer. Grandison, Young, Kale and Max played their roles. I want the same from the portal next season.
True dat. I don't think there's any reason not to trust Scheyer's judgement on this one.

The team needs roll players.
(yes I spelled that wrong on purpose)
Ryan Young was voted "best teammate" at the banquet, which is really cool.
I think everyone agrees but you can only play five on the court at a time .
We pretty much know Proctor, Flip and Mitchell are starters. McCain , Foster , Blakes and Schutt are all playing for time on the court and one starting spot in the back court should Roach not return . Then there is Stewart, Reeves, Young and Powers all playing for two back up front court spots and a starting spot out side of the bigs Duke is looking at in the portal.
Guess my question is , who’s moving to SF outside of Mitchell? Powers is the only other hybrid/stretch four and Flip I don’t see logging a whole lot of time at center( another reason why looking at bigs in the portal ) so why just look at Centers and not SF’s as well .

We pretty much know Proctor, Flip and Mitchell are starters. McCain , Foster , Blakes and Schutt are all playing for time on the court and one starting spot in the back court should Roach not return . Then there is Stewart, Reeves, Young and Powers all playing for two back up front court spots and a starting spot out side of the bigs Duke is looking at in the portal.
Guess my question is , who’s moving to SF outside of Mitchell? Powers is the only other hybrid/stretch four and Flip I don’t see logging a whole lot of time at center( another reason why looking at bigs in the portal ) so why just look at Centers and not SF’s as well .
I believe it's because of positionless basketball, that we are going for. And also I do not think the staff wants to push Stewart and Powers away with adding a wing player. Both are considered multi year guys, and that can hurt recruiting plans, future plans, and will have to change stuff up... the Center position is the most important.

Reactions: jamsession3
Actually, I think this is because of the number of scholarships. We currently have 11 players and if Roach comes back, you can only bring in 1 more player. In my opinion, the staff is thinking, if Roach comes back and we can only add 1 spot, where should it be? The easy answer is Center.

I doubt the staff wants to force Roach to go pro or transfer, because he could be a huge asset for us, if he returns.

Proctor
Flip
Mitchell
McCain
Foster
Blakes
Schutt
Stewart
Reeves
Young
Powers
Portal Center