ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako

I believe it's because of positionless basketball, that we are going for. And also I do not think the staff wants to push Stewart and Powers away with adding a wing player. Both are considered multi year guys, and that can hurt recruiting plans, future plans, and will have to change stuff up... the Center position is the most important.
But wouldn’t the return of Young and still looking for another center push Reeves away given that’s his natural position ?

Reactions: jamsession3
Actually, I think this is because of the number of scholarships. We currently have 11 players and if Roach comes back, you can only bring in 1 more player. In my opinion, the staff is thinking, if Roach comes back and we can only add 1 spot, where should it be? The easy answer is Center.

I doubt the staff wants to force Roach to go pro or transfer, because he could be a huge asset for us, if he returns.

Proctor
Flip
Mitchell
McCain
Foster
Blakes
Schutt
Stewart
Reeves
Young
Powers
Portal Center
Roach
But are we sure if Roach returns One of Blakes or Schutt don’t hit the portal ? That’s six guards for only two spots .

But are we sure if Roach returns One of Blakes or Schutt don’t hit the portal ? That’s six guards for only two spots .
If Roach comes back, I could see that. I wouldn’t be shocked if Foster or McCain left either.

Duke could use three guards in a small ball lineup. Foster & McClain will play a lot next year even if Roach returns.

Reactions: ceilo77
I know I’m late but the whole mgbako decommit situation is stupid. Harry Giles couldn’t even do anything and was still a first round pick. The NBA will draft him regardless of what he does in college

I know I’m late but the whole mgbako decommit situation is stupid. Harry Giles couldn’t even do anything and was still a first round pick. The NBA will draft him regardless of what he does in college
Harry's situation is more comparable to Whitehead.

We shall see... deadline hasn't came yet. Hopefully not.
There’s a deadline when you can enter the portal ? Damn this is free agency . Can’t you enter it as well at Christmas break ( mid season )?

Reactions: Devilinside
I don't disagree with this, but Roach has to be the first domino. Jon has to and will keep at least 1 scholarship open for Roach, especially since he's no lock to be drafted. I'm not privy to what Roach told Jon, maybe he said, I'm putting my name in the draft and if I take my name out of the draft, I'm going to transfer. If that is what Roach said, then Jon will look at a Center and Small Forward.

But, since Jon has not been looking at the Small Forward spot, only Center, I assume that means Roach coming back to Duke is still possible. We will know more once the withdraw from the NBA draft deadline comes.

There’s a deadline when you can enter the portal ? Damn this is free agency . Can’t you enter it as well at Christmas break ( mid season )?
Yes, you can announce you are transferring as early as you want. There is a deadline date to announce a transfer, which is April 30th, I believe.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don't disagree with this, but Roach has to be the first domino. Jon has to and will keep at least 1 scholarship open for Roach, especially since he's no lock to be drafted. I'm not privy to what Roach told Jon, maybe he said, I'm putting my name in the draft and if I take my name out of the draft, I'm going to transfer. If that is what Roach said, then Jon will look at a Center and Small Forward.

But, since Jon has not been looking at the Small Forward spot, only Center, I assume that means Roach coming back to Duke is still possible. We will know more once the withdraw from the NBA draft deadline comes.
Mitchell, Powers and Stewart should be the sf/wf/pf for next year. Flip will be the 4/5. Reeves/Young will be the 5. A third center will be great, if he fits.

Actually, I think this is because of the number of scholarships. We currently have 11 players and if Roach comes back, you can only bring in 1 more player. In my opinion, the staff is thinking, if Roach comes back and we can only add 1 spot, where should it be? The easy answer is Center.

I doubt the staff wants to force Roach to go pro or transfer, because he could be a huge asset for us, if he returns.

Proctor
Flip
Mitchell
McCain
Foster
Blakes
Schutt
Stewart
Reeves
Young
Powers
Portal Center
Roach
On paper, if Duke gets what they want, which is Roach returning and a really good center, I don't see how everyone wearing a jersey going to be happy. I'm trying to think how a player might think, not as a fan.
We have Flip, Mitchell, Stewart, and Powers, all highly rated guys 6-8 or bigger, plus Young, Reeves, and the unknown good center that's not yet committed. ***Seven guys for 2-3 spots.***

Now throw in we have 2 returning good guards in Proctor and Roach. Plus 2 five star freshmen, Foster and McCain, to go along with Blakes and Schutt. ***Six guys for 2-3 spots.***

Maybe the offset is these guys will all make good enough money that sitting won't bother some of them. If that is the case, then carry on.

Harry's situation is more comparable to Whitehead.
Not really. Harry basically showed nothing at his time at Duke. Whitehead was able to show a knack for sinking 3s.

It doesn’t really matter though. The NBA doesn’t miss out on talented young prospects. If you have that kind of buzz you’re going to get picked up in the first round

On paper, if Duke gets what they want, which is Roach returning and a really good center, I don't see how everyone wearing a jersey going to be happy. I'm trying to think how a player might think, not as a fan.
We have Flip, Mitchell, Stewart, and Powers, all highly rated guys 6-8 or bigger, plus Young, Reeves, and the unknown good center that's not yet committed. ***Seven guys for 2-3 spots.***

Now throw in we have 2 returning good guards in Proctor and Roach. Plus 2 five star freshmen, Foster and McCain, to go along with Blakes and Schutt. ***Six guys for 2-3 spots.***

Maybe the offset is these guys will all make good enough money that sitting won't bother some of them. If that is the case, then carry on.
I completely agree with everything you said. I would agree that someone could/would transfer, I just haven't seen Scheyer go after anyone other than a Center, from the portal. That tells me he thinks that he will get a "starting" center and possibly get Roach back and roll the dice.

Now, if Roach comes back and someone transfer out because of it, then Scheyer might look at the portal for something other than a center, but I would doubt it. There will not be an impact player in the portal that will sit behind Proctor, Roach, possibly Foster, McCain, then possibly Schutt and possibly Blakes...that is if Scheyer looks at a guard in the portal.

If Roach comes back and someone transfers out, Scheyer could look at the small forward spot to back up Mitchell. But again, you could have the same situation. Would an impact player want to come and back up Mitchell or if we go 3 guards, back up McCain?

But it's all a guess at this point.

Reactions: DBM0828
Not really. Harry basically showed nothing at his time at Duke. Whitehead was able to show a knack for sinking 3s.

It doesn’t really matter though. The NBA doesn’t miss out on talented young prospects. If you have that kind of buzz you’re going to get picked up in the first round
Giles showed nice flashes, especially considering the sheer severity of his injuries.

Caleb Foster is 6-5. He can absolutely play the 3 at Duke.
So is Schutt . Does that mean he can as well ?
Duke would have to go small ball for that to work out leaving Proctor at 6’5”, Roach at 6’1” ( that’s at best ), Foster at 6’5”.
Problem with this is that Flip isn’t logging much minutes at center and it’s been mentioned that Mitchell will play more at his natural position which is the 4 . If that’s true then Flip is out longer then preseason .
Then if Roach doesn’t return that’s McCain at 6’1” or 2” and Foster at 6’5” starting so would Schutt still go to the WF spot at 6’5” in the case Roach doesn’t return ? Not to mention Blakes and Possibly McCain are your reserve guards at 6’1” at best .

Last edited:
Reactions: ioliva
I just don't think Flip came back to play center. Just not going to happen.
No he will be Dukes four with Mitchell back at the three. It’s one of the reason Mgbako wanted out . He only plays the 3/4 and those spots are locked at the starting position with Flip and Mitchell returning

Duke will run 3:guard offense flip at center.
Maybe in certain situations, but that won't be the game plan very often. If Flip played at Duke in the 90's, then yes, he would be like Laettner, but in today's game, Flip is a 4 and will play that 90% or more this season.

There is a little bit of a chance. But it would require us striking out in the portal or Flip and Mitchell making BIG jumps.

Last edited:
If Duke doesn't get a center in the portal, then it means Coach S didn't see anyone good enough to jeopardize losing Reeves.
I don't disagree with this, there is no reason just to take anyone. There are several reasons why I don't think that Flip will play a lot at center but one is his recovery from surgery. I thought I read somewhere that his recovery time could be up to 6 months.

If it does take that long, it will be around September before he's playing pick up games, so he may not be ready to play center early in the season. Duke has some tough games early in the season.

I don't disagree with this, there is no reason just to take anyone. There are several reasons why I don't think that Flip will play a lot at center but one is his recovery from surgery. I thought I read somewhere that his recovery time could be up to 6 months.

If it does take that long, it will be around September before he's playing pick up games, so he may not be ready to play center early in the season. Duke has some tough games early in the season.
I do believe a center is coming, but someone along the lines of the role Reeves played last year. I'm just praying for good health.

Reactions: christophero
A big may come but unless he’s a game changer especially while Reeves and Flip recover I don’t see the need .
Last season had growing pains so will next season but only so many players can get on the court .

A big may come but unless he’s a game changer especially while Reeves and Flip recover I don’t see the need .
Last season had growing pains so will next season but only so many players can get on the court .
Besides, we have had several really good teams, including national champs, without game-changing 7-footers. So, I am with you Shey. OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT