ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako

Believe this coincides with a Flip announcement coming very soon. He didn't expect Flip & Mitchell to be back.

Reactions: christophero
To many forwards . Not enough spots on the floor. I think for him he does not want to play at the SF spot and with Mitchell and Flip back they are guaranteed to start .

I am completely fine with it and I respect the young man for doing it now. Dont even come if it is going to be an issue. Was probably a one year player anyway.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Mitchell could play the 3 or the 4 and Flip could play the 4 or the 5. Scheyer could tweak the offense to allow for this to accomocate all three of those guys and still maximize their offensive games imo. However, I get it.

Reactions: youngman42
Can someone please help an old guy out? What do "letter of intent" and "signed" mean? If you can define those, please move on to "commitment", "contract", and "loyalty." I'm really at a loss here.
OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
Can someone please help an old guy out? What do "letter of intent" and "signed" mean? If you can define those, please move on to "commitment", "contract", and "loyalty." I'm really at a loss here.
OFC
Word salad. None of it means anything anymore

I get that the kid want to make the league and thinks that PT and shots will get him there, but Antoine Walker scored like 8 points a game for Kentucky and was a lottery pick. There is something soft about not coming because you don't want to compete for minutes. I don't see the NBA full of soft willed players. But what do I know?

I understand his decision. Given our history he probably assumed at most one of Flip/Mitchell would stay. I can't wait to see 3 returning 5 stars who were thrown in the fire this year come back.

Reactions: sheyduke
You had to look at the make up of the current recruits and the roster to understand that Duke was loaded with forwards and still recruiting centers. Once Mitchell and Flip decided to come back I’m surprised it wasn’t Powers first but then again he can slide to the three if needed due to his shooting . Best of luck to the young man .

It did seem like a log jam of forwards, like we we had Chappell, James and Carrawell in one class.

The only thought on this one is that GG reclassed up and changed schools. Had he not reclassed, he may have had a much better season. But, who knows.
Fair, forgot about the reclass. Seems he definitely didn’t enjoy his time at sc

Fair, forgot about the reclass. Seems he definitely didn’t enjoy his time at sc
That was completely the case. I hoped that he would have reclassed and kept his commitment to UNC. It would have been great to see more meltdowns. Had he reclassed sooner, GG would have taken the PF position instead of Pete Nance.

All makes sense and overall best for all parties involved.

Personally, I was worried about how efficient Mgbako was going to be here anyways. I figured he was going to want a constant green light but was a low % shooter for his position (I think high 30’s, very low 40’s). Doesn’t get easier in college. Really gave me Chris Livingston vibes except UK never gave him a green light.

Plus like GAAP said, opens up another spot for the portal. Win-win

OFC
The school has to release you, which Duke does. You can fight it; but it's a bad look.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
The school has to release you, which Duke does. You can fight it; but it's a bad look.
Agreed, there is no way Jon will fight this release. He will grant it and be on good terms.

I remember a few years ago Jason Capel, while head coach of Appalachian State, tried to fight the release of the NLI for a kid that eventually went to Kansas (Devonte Graham), and it didn't go over well.

You had to look at the make up of the current recruits and the roster to understand that Duke was loaded with forwards and still recruiting centers. Once Mitchell and Flip decided to come back I’m surprised it wasn’t Powers first but then again he can slide to the three if needed due to his shooting . Best of luck to the young man .
Powers imo is a mult year guy. Mackenzie isn't. So their approach is completely different. Powers will benefit from not the Duke strength program, learning, developing and not having to be INSTANT production. Just two different outlooks to their potential career paths. And that's not a knock to Powers. Because he is a very good player.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Powers imo is a mult year guy. Mackenzie isn't. So their approach is completely different. Powers will benefit from not the Duke strength program, learning, developing and not having to be INSTANT production. Just two different outlooks to their potential career paths. And that's not a knock to Powers. Because he is a very good player.
I was just speaking in terms of the overall make up of the roster in general once Mitchell announced his return .

Agreed, there is no way Jon will fight this release. He will grant it and be on good terms.

I remember a few years ago Jason Capel, while head coach of Appalachian State, tried to fight the release of the NLI for a kid that eventually went to Kansas (Devonte Graham), and it didn't go over well.

Agreed. Was a really, really bad look. They got a lot of negative attention for that. It was on the ESPN front headlines. That may have even contributed to his dismissal.

Also, thought App State failed when they hired Capel over Matt McMahon (current LSU coach). McMahon played at App and was an assistant for 9 years. Capel was an assistant for 1 year.

I was just speaking in terms of the overall make up of the roster in general once Mitchell announced his return .
Gotcha. I bet this has been in play for at least a full week now. Both sides probably just didn't want to break the news early. Mackenzie will be recruited HARD by all the big name programs. I bet he ends up at Alabama... if that coach can sell him on being a good replica to Miller this year, that may be enough to see a commitment. I definitely could see that.

Reactions: sheyduke
How 'bout if a school withdraws its scholarship offer, despite there being a signed "Letter of Intent?" Is that a "bad look" for the school as well? Is there EVER a "bad look" for some dopey kid?
OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT