ADVERTISEMENT

Love how RJ is playing....

2 skerz 3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2011
I believe he is playing as well as he’s played all season. I know he is “struggling” scoring wise (by his standards) but love how he has been a willing passer and he is playing well in every facet of the game right now imo. His growth as an all around player may just lead our team to #6!!

I believe he is playing as well as he’s played all season. I know he is “struggling” scoring wise (by his standards) but love how he has been a willing passer and he is playing well in every facet of the game right now imo. His growth as an all around player may just lead our team to #6!!
He’s been shooting a lot better from the line. That’s a good sign. If we can just get Zion shooting well at the line, then that will really go a long way in March!

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
I think he’ll find his scoring again, but his rebounding of late has been impressive. The thing about these freshmen that separates them from others Duke has had, is that they embrace every facet of the game. Not only that, but they lead the team in those respective categories. Leading rebounder, steals, blocks, assists, in the topnare freshmen. They lead the charge like upperclassmen.

I think he’ll find his scoring again, but his rebounding of late has been impressive. The thing about these freshmen that separates them from others Duke has had, is that they embrace every facet of the game. Not only that, but they lead the team in those respective categories. Leading rebounder, steals, blocks, assists, in the topnare freshmen. They lead the charge like upperclassmen.

His defense has been very good as well. It doesn't show because he plays with an elite defender in Tre, a near elite defender in Cam, and another dangerous shot blocker in Zion, to say nothing of the smart and high effort work that Bolden is putting on. RJ has been a very willing defender, and is getting more effective at it. Most frosh are worse than he's been, and most guys with a rep for scoring are much, much worse on D than RJ has been.

I wonder if RJ has a friendly competition with Zion. Seems that when Zion has a big scoring game, RJ hunts his shot more toward the end of the game. Other than that, RJ plays hard all the time. The intensity of the freshmen, including Cam, is fantastic and unparalleled.

His defense has been very good as well. It doesn't show because he plays with an elite defender in Tre, a near elite defender in Cam, and another dangerous shot blocker in Zion, to say nothing of the smart and high effort work that Bolden is putting on. RJ has been a very willing defender, and is getting more effective at it. Most frosh are worse than he's been, and most guys with a rep for scoring are much, much worse on D than RJ has been.
This is what separates our team imo. We are an elite defensive team which masks some of our shooting woes.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
He's seeing that he does not need to do it all,he's a great teammate,loves when the other guys do well,and he will do whatever it takes to win,whether that is him taking charge or deferring to the hot hand.

I thought RJ had great shot selection last night, I only remember one time he barreled into the lane when he shouldn’t have (though he did get bailed out with a foul.)

I think Duke is clearly at their best when RJ is in attack mode. I just think he needs to maintain the mindset of “let the game come to me, don’t force stuff early,” we got enough scoring options, RJ doesn’t have to always take 20 shots.

Another thing: has there even been a Duke guard that can rebound like RJ?? He is incredible, 14 boards against St. John’s. He has the Bagley-like get the ball on the rim and can just jump quicker than anyone else on the floor and go get it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT