ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s make new positions for basketball..

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
The game of basketball has obviously changed a lot over recent years, so lets make new positions for basketball now that C / PF / SF / SG /PG are mostly outdated.. here’s what I’m suggesting:

“PG” (Point Guard) - This is the one position that hasn’t really changed much and can stay.
Duke examples: Tre Jones, Tyus Jones

“CG” (Combo Guard) - This has became really popular lately with PG’s like Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, etc. being able to be main scorers for their teams. Includes SG’s that can run the point and small guards who play off the ball a good bit.
DUKE examples: Nolan Smith, Frank Jackson

“W” (Wing) - Basically combining old school SG & SF positions.
Duke examples: RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish

S4 (Stretch-4) - Everyone knows what this position is now.
Duke examples: Matthew Hurt, Ryan Kelly

P (Post) - This would be Centers and old-school Power Forwards.
Duke examples: Marquese Bolden, Jahlil Okafor

Here is how I think last year’s team would have been labeled with the new positions:

PG: T. Jones
CG: J. Goldwire (sometimes a true PG)
W: W. Moore
W: A. O’Connell
W: J.Baker
W: C. Stanley
W: J. White (sometimes a S4)
S4: M. Hurt
S4: J. Robinson
P: V. Carey
P: J. DeLaurier

..and of course there will be players that defy positions.. like Zion & LeBron, who play almost all positions... might need a name for those players.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeDenver
Speaking of J Will I'm watching Duke North Carolina in 2001. The one at Cameron. Did we win that one? I know we won the rematch.

Battier is the best Duke stretch 4 by a mile, maybe the best stretch 4 the NCAA has ever seen.
Generally a stretch 4 is associated as a taller guy that is too soft to fight down low but has a good stroke.
Battier was an elite 3 pt shooter, played the 4, and was 3 time NPOY.

Battier is the best Duke stretch 4 by a mile, maybe the best stretch 4 the NCAA has ever seen.
Generally a stretch 4 is associated as a taller guy that is too soft to fight down low but has a good stroke.
Battier was an elite 3 pt shooter, played the 4, and was 3 time NPOY.
I agree. I would also say Kyle Singler is in this category.

I always loved the stretch 4 spot. A lot of props go to Coach K there. I doubt he invented the idea, but he sure as heck popularized it in the modern era. Ferry and Laettner (both played center but really were 4a) started it, Battier and Singler were great at it, and even guys like Ryan Kelly, Brandon Ingram, and Jabari Parker played the position to some extent. It’s a huge part of the Duke program.

another position I see coming into the world of hoops (back in if you go back to the 60s) is the point center. Bigs like Jokic who run the offense, but not through dribbling to set up, but rather posting to set up.

Do I remember that hof coach roy williams once said leakey black could play all five positions if needed. I guess not. I don't even think the cheater coach could come up with that. But if so what position would that be called? The hybrid , like he plays the hybrid position.OFC

Do I remember that hof coach roy williams once said leakey black could play all five positions if needed. I guess not. I don't even think the cheater coach could come up with that. But if so what position would that be called? The hybrid , like he plays the hybrid position.OFC

Well we could call them at type of player a “Roy”, but that’s not fair to all the other positions he’s invented, which is a majority of them.
I would call someone who can legitimately play all 5, a “LeBron.” I don’t suck up to LeBron like some, but that dude is the only player I know that has at one time or another been the best player on his team at every position. Others can “guard 1-5” or “handle and create like a guard”, but LeBron can legitimately play any position better than most.

Reactions: skysdad
Lebron, KD and Giannis are unicorns. Their position is fluid but ranges from stretch 4 to pg.

I would agree, except KD can’t truly run PG or play 5 for a long time, and Giannis can’t run true PG either. LeBron is the only one who can truly do them all. Again, not a LeBron fan or anything, but it’s just what makes him special.

I remember that year Singlet was the 5. We built unc at the dome and Singler was absolutely incredible against their bigs, and Paulus hit a bunch of huge shots.

A nice thing about next years Duke team. We don't have many guys that are locked in to playing 1 position.
Roach is strictly a PG and Williams/Tape are strictly C's....and that's it.

Johnson is super versatile, same for Moore. Hurt should be able to play some 5. Coleman is a hybrid 4/5. Steward can play the wing, and handle the ball some. Goldwire has shown before he is effective next to a true PG or can play PG himself. Baker, if he can get stronger, can play some 4. Brakefield is a 3/4.
Long story short....we got a lot of flexibility next season.

Reactions: timo0402
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT