ADVERTISEMENT

Duke basketball 1960's through present.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I've been a Duke fan since 1960 and don't know a lot about Duke players before then with the acception Dick Groat, Hack Tyson and Bernie Janicki. What may be interesting is picking out your best Duke players decade by decade from the 1960's until the present year. It is entirely objective of course. I tried to go by position or players that were versatile enough to play more than one. I also know that most of you were not around during the 60's and 70's so you may have to go by reputation or from time to time us old farts talking about how good they were. Now just in case there may be a really old geezer or two that can remember back in the 50's feel free to list them.

60's
PG Bob Verga
SG Art Heyman
SF Jeff Mullins
PF Mike Lewis
C Randy Denton

70's
PG Tate Armstrong
SG Jim Spanarkel
SF Gene Banks ( yes I know he was considered a PF)
PF Bob Fleischer ( yes I know he was considered a C)
C Mike Gminski

80's
PG Tommy Amaker
SG Johnny Dawkins
SF Mark Alarie
PF Danny Ferry
C Alaa Abdenaby

90's
PG Bobby Hurley
SG Grant Hill ( don't care he could play anywhere except C)
SF Shane Battier
PF Christian Laettner
C Elton Brand

Here's where it gets tough because of early departures

2,000's
PG Jay Williams
SG JJ Redick
SF Mike Dunleavy Jr
PF Kyle Singler
C Shelden Williams

2010's
PG Nolan Smith
SG Grayson Allen
SF Jason Tatum
PF Zion Williamson
C Jah Okafor

OFC

Last edited:
So, we're playing without a center in the 2000s? ;) I think there's a Boozer and a landlord who could make a difference there buddy. Btw, just giving ya a hard time old timer.

Great list too, btw! I don't know who I would put on there just yet.

Reactions: skysdad
So, we're playing without a center in the 2000s? ;) I think there's a Boozer and a landlord who could make a difference there buddy. Btw, just giving ya a hard time old timer.

Yea I just left him off . Fixed it. OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I'm sure with more thought I would have some suggestions but that's a mighty fine list.

Take your time. I had to do a little research. It just didn't pop in my head and may some tough choices. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
It's so tough with the one and doners. No question that Kyrie was the most dominant player after Zion I've seen at Duke but for only 11 games. I think Brandon Ingram was equal to or better than Tatum in college. If you are including OAD's was Barrett more dominant than Grayson? Tough choices.

Take your time. It took me a while.

Ok let's try this. Take one player from each decade which gives 6 then add 4 more of your choice for Coach K's 10 man rotation. This will be a toughie. I picked some guys that could play a couple of positions.

60's Art Heyman postions 2 and 3
70's Mike Gminski position 5
80's Johnny Dawkins positions 1 and 2
90's Christian Laettner positions 4 and 5
00's Jay Williams positions 1 and 2
10's Zion Williamson position 4
At large
Grant Hill positions 1,2,3
Shane Battier positions 3 and 4
Bobby Hurley position 1
JJ Redick position 1

Starters
Jay Williams at the one
JJ Redick at the two
Grant Hill at the three
Zion Williamson at the four
Christian Laettner at the five

Rotate units every five minutes

2nd unit

Bobby Hurley at the one
Johnny Dawkins at the two
Art Heyman at the three
Shane Battier at the four
Mike Gminski at the five

OFC

OFC

Think I would put Jack Marin ahead of Denton.Didn’t Denton play one year in the seventies?If so put him ahead of Flesher who I loved

Think I would put Jack Marin ahead of Denton.Didn’t Denton play one year in the seventies?If so put him ahead of Flesher who I loved

Yea there were some crossovers of decades. I had a real hard to time choosing. Changed my mind several times. OFC

Because I am too young to speak on things before the 80s.

80s

PG Tommy Amaker
SG Johnny Dawkins
SF Mark Alarie
PF Danny Ferry
C Alaa Abdelnaby

90s

PG Bobby Hurley
SG Trajan Langdon
SF Grant Hill
PF Christian Laettner
C Elton Brand

00s

PG Jason Williams
SG JJ Redick
SF Luol Deng
PF Shane Battier
C The Landlord

10s

PG Tyus Jones
SG Nolan Smith
SF Kyle Singler
PF Zion Williamson
C Wendell Carter Jr.

This was tough.

Because I am too young to speak on things before the 80s.

80s

PG Tommy Amaker
SG Johnny Dawkins
SF Mark Alarie
PF Danny Ferry
C Alaa Abdelnaby

90s

PG Bobby Hurley
SG Trajan Langdon
SF Grant Hill
PF Christian Laettner
C Elton Brand

00s

PG Jason Williams
SG JJ Redick
SF Luol Deng
PF Shane Battier
C The Landlord

10s

PG Tyus Jones
SG Nolan Smith
SF Kyle Singler
PF Zion Williamson
C Wendell Carter Jr.

This was tough.

Good job and good teams. I really like your pick of Carter. Gave him so strong consideration. I guess I picked Jah because of the natty. I love this board when we can discuss things like this. I just have a hard time accepting the change in the board. I have a hard time dealing with change. It is a sympton of OCD which is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Never been diagnosed but I have several symptons of it. Miss the old days and some of the old posters that have left . OFC

Last edited:
Good job and good teams. I really like your pick of Carter. Gave him so strong consideration. I guess I picked Jah because of the natty. I love this board when we can discuss things like this. I just have a hard time accepting the change in the board. I have a hard time dealing with change. It is a sympton of OCD which is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Never been diagnosed but I have several symptons of it. Miss the old days and some of the old posters that have left . OFC

Yeah, I went back and forth between Carter, Jah, and Bagley. Ultimately, I went with Carter for his defense over the others. I feel like with him and Zion up front, who is going to score at will against those two? Jones, Smith, and Kyle all could create their own shots too. Plus, all 5 of that 2010s team could play the D and rebound. I really wanted to put Grayson on there too. But, I felt Nolan's ability to keep his emotions in check ultimately would make him a better leader and teammate on the floor. That said, if G's shot goes down against Kansas and Duke ends up with another title the next weekend he would be on there. The margin was slim in the end.

For the 2000s, I went back and forth on whether to put Carlos over the landlord. Couldn't do it in the end. Again, Battier and Sheldon up front together is a mismatch nightmare for most teams. Having Jason, JJ, and Luol makes that team so tough to guard on the perimeter too. Going through this led me to watching some highlight reels again that brought back so many great memories.

And the 80s and 90s were the easiest because I just think all those guys are the best we had at those positions during those years. Though there are some great players I love from those years, those guys just were the cream of the crop. Christian wasn't losing. Imagine the '92 team with Elton Brand? Wow.

Here's a thought, imagine that 2019 team with Tre, RJ, Cam, Zion, and a sophomore Wendell? Ooof.

Anyway, this was a great idea Sky! Loved your picks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT