ADVERTISEMENT

Your Duke senior starting 5.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I know we've had variations of our favorite top 5 players in Duke history but I can't remember one that just had seniors. I do have an advantage because I've seen so many great seniors come through the program. There's been so many great players come through the program that it's just about impossible to pick the 10 best Duke players ever much less 5. I had a problem with picking 5 seniors and really I had about 12 that I could have put up. So here are mine. Remember guys. Seniors only.

PG My PG is Bobby Hurley. One of the most purist point guards to ever play the position in college. Would have been nice to see how he would have done if he hadn't been hurt. The thing about Bobby is that he didn't have to score to be very effective but could score. He was one heck of a defensive player also.

SG This was very tough but I'm going with Johnny Dawkins. As time goes by we tend to forget just how good he was. He actually played the point before Amaker came along. Was the man for Duke from the day he set foot on the court. He could D it up also.

C Mike Gminski. Hard call here but he came to Duke when he was 16 and was so mature from the get go. Was consistent all 4 years. Fundamentally sound center as I have ever seen in college other than Bill Walton. Great rebounder. Sound free throw shooter and did I mention he could play some D.

PF Christian Laettner. The best that ever wore the Duke Blue and White. He could do it all. Play three positions and was Duke nasty. Did i mention he could play some D. It's been over 25 years since he played and UK fans still haven't gotten over him. Yes he was an ass hole but he was our ass hole. OF

SF Grant Hill. My favorite player of all time . Talk about a well rounded player. I do believe he played at least 4 positions at one time at Duke. He could play D too. May make the Basketball HOF despite all the injuries.

With great admiration to the following seniors.
Gene Banks
Jim Spanarkel
Shane Battier
Shelden Williams
JJ Redick
Danny Ferry
Art Heyman

There could have been more. OFC

I know we've had variations of our favorite top 5 players in Duke history but I can't remember one that just had seniors. I do have an advantage because I've seen so many great seniors come through the program. There's been so many great players come through the program that it's just about impossible to pick the 10 best Duke players ever much less 5. I had a problem with picking 5 seniors and really I had about 12 that I could have put up. So here are mine. Remember guys. Seniors only.

PG My PG is Bobby Hurley. One of the most purist point guards to ever play the position in college. Would have been nice to see how he would have done if he hadn't been hurt. The thing about Bobby is that he didn't have to score to be very effective but could score. He was one heck of a defensive player also.

SG This was very tough but I'm going with Johnny Dawkins. As time goes by we tend to forget just how good he was. He actually played the point before Amaker came along. Was the man for Duke from the day he set foot on the court. He could D it up also.

C Mike Gminski. Hard call here but he came to Duke when he was 16 and was so mature from the get go. Was consistent all 4 years. Fundamentally sound center as I have ever seen in college other than Bill Walton. Great rebounder. Sound free throw shooter and did I mention he could play some D.

PF Christian Laettner. The best that ever wore the Duke Blue and White. He could do it all. Play three positions and was Duke nasty. Did i mention he could play some D. It's been over 25 years since he played and UK fans still haven't gotten over him. Yes he was an ass hole but he was our ass hole. OF

SF Grant Hill. My favorite player of all time . Talk about a well rounded player. I do believe he played at least 4 positions at one time at Duke. He could play D too. May make the Basketball HOF despite all the injuries.

Gene Banks
Jim Spanarkel
Shane Battier
Shelden Williams
JJ Redick
Danny Ferry
Art Heyman

Like all your picks but would put Bob Verga as SG.Can you imagine him with A three point line and Hurley setting him up.Our best shooter ever imo

I’m gonna stretch the rules a bit and pick 2 different senior starters lists. One of players from the 80’s/90’s and one from the 2000’s

80’s/90’s
Christian Leettnet
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Johnny Dawkins
Danny Ferry

2000’s
JJ Redick
Jon Scheyer
Kyle Singler
Shane Battier
Carlos Boozer

Last edited:
Like all your picks but would put Bob Verga as SG.Can you imagine him with A three point line and Hurley setting him up.Our best shooter ever imo

Like I said it could have been more. Verga, Groat although none of us saw him play, Singler, Langdon, Scheyer, N. Smith. Marin, Mullins and of course Grayson. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
Mine are all from K's era
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Johnny Dawkins

Dawkins over JJ because he was the main one to get it going for Duke under K

I misunderstood the thread title.....I thought we were putting together a "seniors" team.....I was about to recruit OAD for point guard!!! He's kinda crafty and would be good at that position!!

Reactions: skysdad and sgrooms
Now that I understand, here are my 5.
I'm sure if I mulled this over, I would want to make changes or second guess myself, but here goes:

Christian Laettner
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
JJ Reddick

Reactions: skysdad and sgrooms
Mine are all from K's era
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Johnny Dawkins

Dawkins over JJ because he was the main one to get it going for Duke under K

That’s the lineup that I was thinking. Put Laettner at Center and Hill at SF with Battier playing the stretch PF. Good luck scoring against those 5 players. Hurley, Hill and Battier were all elite college defenders and Laettner/Dawkins player some great defense as well.

Reactions: skysdad
Hurley, JJ, Grant Hill, Singler S. Williams.

Defense for offense and a rebounder and rim protector.

Looks like a lot of us chose the same 5....Laettner,Hurley,G.Hill,Battier,and Redick.....pretty simple for me,these are my 5 all time favorite players

This is basically mine too. I might swap Williams for Hurley, but can't seem to decide on that.

Reactions: PHXDukie
Gminski
Laettner
G Hill
JJ
Hurley

Bench..Dawkins, Battier, S Williams, Wojo, Langdon

Gene Banks
Jim Spanarkel
Shane Battier
Shelden Williams
JJ Redick
Danny Ferry
Art Heyman

Great list.

I'd be very similar but I would not be able to leave Battier out of the starting lineup. I'd put Laettner at center in place of Gminski. Then Battier.

G Hurley
G Dawkins. Slam dunk for me there.
C Laettner
F Hill
F Battier

OFC

PG - Hurley
SG- JJ
SF- Grant Hill
PF - Battier
C- Laettner

2nd Team
PG - Quinn
SG - Thomas Hill
SF - Brian Davis
PF - Boozer
C- Shelden

Extras - Zoubs, Duhon, Scheyer, Dockery, Wojo

Laettner is the greatest college basketball player of all time. I can’t fathom any scenario where he doesn’t start. And dominate.

I'll stick to people I watched play in their season (93-94 season and later) which obviously leaves out so many great players ...

Chris Duhon
Trajan Langdon
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
Shelden Williams

and if it were players i actually watched all four years (i only got one year of grant) then i'd sub Singler in for Hill

ADVERTISEMENT