ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright leaving Villanova

I never in a million years could figure out why opposing fans come on our board to defend their team. I lurk on RR as it's active. Why would I defend Duke on there? I'd get slaughtered. Do I think they will say "oh you're right, we love K and Duke now. Thanks for pointing that out."
Give me a break.

One game

ranking of coaches:

1 Roy
2 Jay Wright
3 K
4 Self
Roy who? You put him first on the coach to pick if you had one game to win? Then Jay Wright, wow. Jay has been really really good, but have you seen his entire post season record? He went to the elite 8 in 2005/2006, a final four in 08/09, then took a while to even get out of the 2nd round. Then in 15/16 he hit his stride, but that was after 15 years at Villanova.

That list is interesting.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Roy who? You put him first on the coach to pick if you had one game to win? Then Jay Wright, wow. Jay has been really really good, but have you seen his entire post season record? He went to the elite 8 in 2005/2006, a final four in 08/09, then took a while to even get out of the 2nd round. Then in 15/16 he hit his stride, but that was after 15 years at Villanova.

That list is interesting.
It’s only interesting because it’s a dumbass hole fan. He can’t help it. Wrote the list on the ride home on the short bus.

From the ESPN article...."Wright said the current climate of college basketball, which now includes the transfer portal and name, image and likeness licensing deals, played a small role in his decision." So maybe not the deciding factor but part of the reason....

People are often so sensationalist. K was 75 years old. Roy was 71 years old. Call me crazy, but I'd prefer to not be working when approaching my 80's.

There were rumors about a week ago regarding Jay Wright possibly retiring. Most 60 year old multi-millionaires aren't going to want to simply enjoy life; I don't blame him. Think about how much work being a head coach is as well as how much travel it constantly involves.

Three coaches retiring around the same time that are 60, 71, and 75 years old doesn't point to some unknown for me. Now, should we start seeing a bunch of stories like Arkansas State's coach quitting to go take a sales job at Embassy Suites... then yeah that'd be different.

Reactions: hart2chesson
People are often so sensationalist. K was 75 years old. Roy was 71 years old. Call me crazy, but I'd prefer to not be working when approaching my 80's.

There were rumors about a week ago regarding Jay Wright possibly retiring. Most 60 year old multi-millionaires aren't going to want to simply enjoy life; I don't blame him. Think about how much work being a head coach is as well as how much travel it constantly involves.

Three coaches retiring around the same time that are 60, 71, and 75 years old doesn't point to some unknown for me. Now, should we start seeing a bunch of stories like Arkansas State's coach quitting to go take a sales job at Embassy Suites... then yeah that'd be different.
What do we expect these coaches to say, “I hate the direction of college basketball?” They tip toe around these topics. They don’t say what we do on a message board, and if I was in their shoes, I wouldn’t either. And I’m not sure anyone outside of their circle really knows the full truth.

Jay Wright gave off the appearance of a coach that did things the right way. However, I don’t buy NIL as the reason guys are stepping down. Players have been getting paid forever, whether that was under the table or now in plain sight. NIL is a good thing, college basketball is now returning stars. The transfer portal and the massive roster changes each year I think is what is driving coaches crazy. Adapt or move on, all good teams now need at least 1 quality transfer a year.

I also think Jay Wright is no different than any other high major coach when it comes to doing whatever it takes to win, he just looks cleaner in a suit.
Players didn't have a portal and werent getting paid millions.

Getting paid. Sure but not.millions offered from different programs

What do we expect these coaches to say, “I hate the direction of college basketball?” They tip toe around these topics. They don’t say what we do on a message board, and if I was in their shoes, I wouldn’t either. And I’m not sure anyone outside of their circle really knows the full truth.
I’m not saying NIL and all that isn’t a factor. But who are “these coaches?” If you’re talking about the likes of K and Roy, neither of them needed to worry about tip toeing around anything.

FWIW ESPN radio is buzzing with Jay Wright to the NBA rumors. Not sure which team, I really don't follow the NBA. Just speculation at this point. The 76ers maybe?

Speaking of the Big East, I just watched the Syracuse Georgetown game at the Dome from 1985. One of the greatest games ever. The talent on the floor was staggering. Pearl Washington hit a jump shot with 6 seconds left for a win over the Ewing led Hoyas. Not sure I've ever heard a crowd that loud before at a basketball game. John Thompson threatened to pull his team off the floor after an orange hit the backboard when Ewing was shooting a FT. Don't blame him; someone could have been hurt.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Big East, I just watched the Syracuse Georgetown game at the Dome from 1985. One of the greatest games ever. The talent on the floor was staggering. Pearl Washington hit a jump shot with 6 seconds left for a win over the Ewing led Hoyas. Not sure I've ever heard a crowd that loud before at a basketball game. John Thompson threatened to pull his team off the floor after an orange hit the backboard when Ewing was shooting a FT. Don't blame him; someone could have been hurt.
Loved watching Pearl play! I remember Pearl and Ralph "Stick" Sampson graduating high school the same year. Recruiting hype that year was wild! OFC

Reactions: christophero
Rony Seikaly was a freshman but he held his own (somewhat) against Ewing. Georgetown had Reggie Williams and David Wingate. They were loaded. If they had one more shooter they probably would have won several titles. If that team had one weakness it was shooting. It was certainly not defense. Other than UNLV they might be the best defensive team I've seen in college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT