ADVERTISEMENT

How Many Around Here Watched ACC BBall in the 60's and 70's?

There were fights between teams at least a couple of times per year, except for South Carolina. Theirs were pretty much weekly. Randy Denton told me that in his fight with SC that the game was physical and then all of a sudden John Ribock just started swinging.

There were several players from different teams during that time that were put on probation for fighting. I believe Denton was one of the Duke players but he wasn't going to be bullied or intimidated by anyone. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I remember one game during the late 60's or early 70's. The game was on T.V. and unc of course were on playing State. bill chamberlain was having a great game that day and was unstoppable . State had a player that came off the bench named Dan Wells. His nickname was"Dirty Dan" and he did his job well. There's a foul called and the players were all getting ready for a free throw and Wells enters the game and takes his place right beside chamberlain. All of a sudden Wells turns his head towards chamberlain and says something to him. chamberlain punches him and is ejected from the game and ends what was a fantastic game. Wells goes back to the bench and takes his place there. To be honest I can't remember who won the game but I scored it Norman Sloan 1 dean smith 0. OFC

I remember one game during the late 60's or early 70's. The game was on T.V. and unc of course were on playing State. bill chamberlain was having a great game that day and was unstoppable . State had a player that came off the bench named Dan Wells. His nickname was"Dirty Dan" and he did his job well. There's a foul called and the players were all getting ready for a free throw and Wells enters the game and takes his place right beside chamberlain. All of a sudden Wells turns his head towards chamberlain and says something to him. chamberlain punches him and is ejected from the game and ends what was a fantastic game. Wells goes back to the bench and takes his place there. To be honest I can't remember who won the game but I scored it Norman Sloan 1 dean smith 0. OFC

Remember it well....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I think Randy Denton would be a good power forward in today's game. He was 6'8 if I remember correctly. It's good to hear some of these names that I totally forgot. I haven't heard Redding, W Hodge, Melcionie (sp) mentioned

I think Randy Denton would be a good power forward in today's game. He was 6'8 if I remember correctly. It's good to hear some of these names that I totally forgot. I haven't heard Redding, W Hodge, Melcionie (sp) mentioned

Fleisher, Billerman, Shaw, etc...

OFC

He was about 6"10" I think. Mike Lewis was about 6"7" or 6'8" I think. You may be right and I may be wrong. Anyway both were tough as nails and just two of my favorite Duke players ever. Getting back to Denton and the Ribock South Carolina thing it seems to me that Roche , Ribock or some other Game Cock thug gave Dick Devenzio who was pretty small a real cheap shot and Denton stepped in. OFC

I must admit as much as I despised the Game Cocks in those days I pulled for Carolina when they played unc and that should give some indication of how I've always felt about the heels because of those who remember how much John Roche and his thugs were thought of back then they were in my book easier to pull for than them heels. OFC.

Back then you didn't see a lot of Duke fans in our area. We picked up some when Kenny Dennard chose Duke. Sky you were talking about The gamecocks they had a center Danny Traylor 7'0 that used to play at rec center with us. Not as talented as Roche and Raker.

Became a fan of Duke ftball first. 1961 Cotton Bowl. Duke 7 Arkansas 6.

Became a big basketball fan around 1962. Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, JayBuckley, Buzzy Harrison, Denny Ferguson and Hack Tyson.

Davidson under Lefty was also highly rated in the early 60's. Fred Hetzel was their star. Terry Holland was also on those teams.

Some of you remember Bill Bradley committed to Duke but never showed up. He backed out of his commitment so late that it also cost us getting Hetzel. Hetzel chose Davidson because he thought Bradley was Duke bound.

Imagine Hetzel an All-American teamed with Heyman and Mullins? That team would have probably beaten Loyola of Chicago who won the title in 63.

Became a fan of Duke ftball first. 1961 Cotton Bowl. Duke 7 Arkansas 6.

Became a big basketball fan around 1962. Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, JayBuckley, Buzzy Harrison, Denny Ferguson and Hack Tyson.

Davidson under Lefty was also highly rated in the early 60's. Fred Hetzel was their star. Terry Holland was also on those teams.

Some of you remember Bill Bradley committed to Duke but never showed up. He backed out of his commitment so late that it also cost us getting Hetzel. Hetzel chose Davidson because he thought Bradley was Duke bound.

Imagine Hetzel an All-American teamed with Heyman and Mullins? That team would have probably beaten Loyola of Chicago who won the title in 63.
I started listening to Duke football about the time Leo Hart was there. My brother was a State fan so I had to be different.

Back then you didn't see a lot of Duke fans in our area. We picked up some when Kenny Dennard chose Duke. Sky you were talking about The gamecocks they had a center Danny Traylor 7'0 that used to play at rec center with us. Not as talented as Roche and Raker.

Traylor I believe was from N.C and the heels were recruiting him big time also . unc fans turned on him when he went to Carolina. OFC

My first Duke football game was at Bowman Gray Stadium for Duke and Wake. Duke had Mike Curtis and Scotty Glacken and Wake had a guy named Brian Piccolo. He ran all over us that day.

Speaking of other old Duke names from the 60's, lets dont forget Ron Wendelin, Tim Kolodziej, Joe Kennedy, Fred Lind, Steve Vandenburg, Ray Kuhlmeier, Rick Katherman (The Manchester Rifleman), Dave Golden and Mark Crow.

Then there were those that came in but under Bucky didn't stay: Don Blackman, Dave Elmer, Jim Fitzsimmons, Jeff Dawson, Richie O'Connor and Ron Righter. Those led to some tough years (where my tate12 namesake came in, Tate Armstrong)

The South Carolina teams of Roche, Riker, et.al, were dirty players but the guys before them were pretty rough too. Gary Gregor, Skip Harlicka, Jack Thompson and Frank Standard. Bobby Cremins was a Sophomore then too. Small team but very physical. Gregor, at 6-6 was their tallest player. Al Salvadori was 6-9 and on the team but I believe he came off the bench.

The South Carolina teams of Roche, Riker, et.al, were dirty players but the guys before them were pretty rough too. Gary Gregor, Skip Harlicka, Jack Thompson and Frank Standard. Bobby Cremins was a Sophomore then too. Small team but very physical. Gregor, at 6-6 was their tallest player. Al Salvadori was 6-9 and on the team but I believe he came off the bench.

John Ribock was their tough guy. He's the one that slugged Lefty.

Reactions: skysdad
Then there were those that came in but under Bucky didn't stay: Don Blackman, Dave Elmer, Jim Fitzsimmons, Jeff Dawson, Richie O'Connor and Ron Righter. Those led to some tough years (where my tate12 namesake came in, Tate Armstrong)

Those were some REALLY SOLID players and its a shame they didnt get along w/Bucky. Most of those guys formed an awesome freshmen Duke team "The Blue Imps" as freshmen were not eligible to play in those days.

OFC

There weren't many Duke fans at all but where I lived we all knew who the Duke fans were. We were a special kind of bond and Duke fans here were all-sports Duke fans and were pretty well informed about our sports teams. I actually went to more football games than basketball back then. I actually saw two Heisman Trophy winners play at Duke , Tony Dorsett from Pitt. and George Rogers from Carolina. I do think it helped that we got a local in state player in Dennard What passion he had for the game. If he played today he would be a hated player from the unc fans. If fact he was hated anyway. With that said it was a major event when Coach K came along and started winning and kicking some unc rear. He brought another generation of fans from all over the country and that generation are now producing Duke fans. I feel this board would not even exist if Coach K had not come to Duke. What a blessing. How would i have got to know the best fans and best message board around. OFC

That is true and most televisions had about a 19" screen. I remember seeing ACC games and other sporting events in color. No where near the clarity and vivid as they are now. unc wussy blue however was just as ugly. OFC
LOL. Amen to that Sky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT