ADVERTISEMENT

How Many Around Here Watched ACC BBall in the 60's and 70's?

tate12

Starter
Nov 9, 2017
Kannapolis, NC
Just wondering how many of you are old-timers like myself that had the pleasure to grow up in the 60's and 70's with ACC Basketball? Those were fantastic years with every game being a war.

Reactions: skysdad
s
Just wondering how many of you are old-timers like myself that had the pleasure to grow up in the 60's and 70's with ACC Basketball? Those were fantastic years with every game being a war.
saw my first game at duke in '63 , I think, could have been '64. Listened to them on the radio and occasionally watched them on tv. Were not a lot of tv games that I remember then.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Did you guys watch the games on the internet back then, too?

I'm curious...did you have dish, Hulu or what?

Had 3 channels where I lived with a roof antenna. The clearest channel did carry the ACC games but for the most part there was only one game a week. Bones McKinney and Jim Thacker were two of the earliest broadcasters. It seems to me that unc was on more than anyone else. OFC

Started watching when Art Heyman was at Duke. Along with him my the first Duke players I remember watching were Jack Marin, Jeff Mullins, Bob Verga, Dave Golden and lots of others. I remember for unc billy cunningham , a guy named yogi poteat and then came bob lewis, rusty clarke, bill bunting, dick grubarb and charlie scott. The heels were on a lot. OFC

Had 3 channels where I lived with a roof antenna. The clearest channel did carry the ACC games but for the most part there was only one game a week. Bones McKinney and Jim Thacker were two of the earliest broadcasters. It seems to me that unc was on more than anyone else. OFC
Bones was a great guy, and coach. I remember him more when he was coach of the old Carolina Cougars. Plus he used to come to the opening of the tobacco market in W/S, if anyone else remembers that. I covered the cougars when I worked for the paper. He used to draw diagrams on the floor as well as standing on the sidelines and directing traffic. At least that is what he looked like he was doing. Duke had several players that played for the Cougars.

It was great watching:

Randy & Richie Mahaffey and Butch Zatezalo at Clemson.
Bob Verga, Mike Lewis, Jack Marin, Randy Denton, Dave Golden, Tate Armstrong, Banks,Gminski and Spanarkel at Duke
Jay & Tom McMillen, Will Hetzel and Jim O'Brien at Maryland
Billy Cunningham, Larry Miller, Bobby Lewis, Charlie Scott, Dennis Wuycik, Rusty Clark and Bill Bunting at UNC
Larry Lakins, Pete Coker, Tommy Mattocks, Eddie Biedenbach, David Thompson and Tommy Burleson at State
Gary Gregor, Frank Standard, Skip Harlicka, John Roche, Tom Owens and Tom Riker at South Carolina
Barry Parkhill, Marc Iavaroni and Wally Walker at UVA
Charlie Davis, Gil McGregor, Bob Leonard, Ronnie Watts at Wake Forest.

Great and colorful coaches such at Vic Bubas, Lefty Driesell, Dean Smith, Press Maravich, Norman Sloan, Frank McGuire, Bill Gibson and Bones McKinney.

Honestly, getting an occasional glimpse on TV of these guys and then listening to the colorful announcers with images in our minds what was happening. Then, to get the Semis and Finals of the ACC Tourney, with only the winner advancing was pressure packed. Rivalries and fights were everywhere and band boxes at Clemson and South Carolina up through the mid 60's were hell to play in. SUCH FUN!

i remember seeing Billy Cunningham on the Carolina Cougars and I think also Julius Irving on the Virginia Squires. There were more people on the benches than in the stands to see two all time greats.

Was there a company called CD Chesley that sponsored or showed ACC games? Just seems to ring a bell.

Of course, the world was black and white in those days, at least on my TV.

It was great watching:

Randy & Richie Mahaffey and Butch Zatezalo at Clemson.
Bob Verga, Mike Lewis, Jack Marin, Randy Denton, Dave Golden, Tate Armstrong, Banks,Gminski and Spanarkel at Duke
Jay & Tom McMillen, Will Hetzel and Jim O'Brien at Maryland
Billy Cunningham, Larry Miller, Bobby Lewis, Charlie Scott, Dennis Wuycik, Rusty Clark and Bill Bunting at UNC
Larry Lakins, Pete Coker, Tommy Mattocks, Eddie Biedenbach, David Thompson and Tommy Burleson at State
Gary Gregor, Frank Standard, Skip Harlicka, John Roche, Tom Owens and Tom Riker at South Carolina
Barry Parkhill, Marc Iavaroni and Wally Walker at UVA
Charlie Davis, Gil McGregor, Bob Leonard, Ronnie Watts at Wake Forest.

Great and colorful coaches such at Vic Bubas, Lefty Driesell, Dean Smith, Press Maravich, Norman Sloan, Frank McGuire, Bill Gibson and Bones McKinney.

Honestly, getting an occasional glimpse on TV of these guys and then listening to the colorful announcers with images in our minds what was happening. Then, to get the Semis and Finals of the ACC Tourney, with only the winner advancing was pressure packed. Rivalries and fights were everywhere and band boxes at Clemson and South Carolina up through the mid 60's were hell to play in. SUCH FUN!
That only one was never a good idea. I would like to see the regular season leader named ACC champ.

i remember seeing Billy Cunningham on the Carolina Cougars and I think also Julius Irving on the Virginia Squires. There were more people on the benches than in the stands to see two all time greats.

Was there a company called CD Chesley that sponsored or showed ACC games? Just seems to ring a bell.

Of course, the world was black and white in those days, at least on my TV.
I think the world was B&W for most back then. Strange, I don't remember Cunningham with the Cougars, but then, Duke players are more memorable . I remember something of the Chesley name also.

Castleman D. Chesley quickly put together an impromptu, three-station network when UNC made the 1957 Final Four. A huge deal in NC. Not everyone had a television in 1957 but people who did have them invited their neighbors over, department stores that sold TVs stayed up late, all the way through UNC's triple-overtime win over Wilt Chamberlain and Kansas.

It was so successful that the ACC contracted with Chesley to set up a conference TV network beginning in the 1958 season. One game on Saturday. But no other conference had their own network at that time and it was a boon for a new conference. Recruits loved it. Coaches loved it. Fans loved. Pilot-Life loved it.

I remember when Wake Forest was really in Wake Forest, South Carolina was in the ACC Frank Mcguire was UNC head coach and left to become South Carolina head coach. The year South Carolina left the ACC they were #1 the entire season with a point guard named Bobby Cremins. The only game they lost all year was to NCSU in the ACC championship game. They were independent the next year. Yes I am an OLD FART!!
OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I remember when Wake Forest was really in Wake Forest, South Carolina was in the ACC Frank Mcguire was UNC head coach and left to become South Carolina head coach. The year South Carolina left the ACC they were #1 the entire season with a point guard named Bobby Cremins. The only game they lost all year was to NCSU in the ACC championship game. They were independent the next year. Yes I am an OLD FART!!
OFC

Good memory Sgt Duke.....I remember that game they lost to State, set up by a steal and lay-up scored by Ed Leftwich of the Pack. IIRC, the Gamecocks played one more year in the ACC, and WON the ACC title game defeating UNC in the finals by two. (Remember guard Kevin Joyce outjumping UNC's Lee Dedmon for a tap to teammate Tommy Owens.) Owens laid in a snowbird to give the Gamecocks the title!

OFC

South Carolina was 14-0 in the ACC in 1970 but did lose some non-conference games.

Their star point guard--Cremins played wing--John Roche badly sprained an ankle in SC's semifinal win over Wake Forest. He shouldn't have played the next night but it was win-or-go-home, so Roche taped it up and tried to gut it out.

But he wasn't very effective and NC State won a slow-down game, 42-39.

McGuire was from NYC, of course, so he loved the NIT and gladly would have accepted an NIT bid.

But SC was hosting the NCAAs that year and an arcane NCAA rule prohibited any team hosting NCAA competition from playing in the NIT.

Cremins was so bummed that he went to Boone and hid out in the NC mountains for several weeks. I believe he had some serious summer-school work to make up for the absences.

Unfortunately, for the ACC, State went to the NCAAs and got blown out by Saint Bonaventure.

Good times.

Last edited:
I watched it in the 70's. The three teams I saw the most were NC State, of course, a bit of UNC (and I always became frustrated because of how people lauded Dean Smith who could not win a title in the 70s. That's where my animosity toward UNC began).

But the team I saw the most in the 70's was Maryland, with Tom McMillan, Len Elmore, and John Lucas.

It's unfortunate that only one team would go to the NCAAs. They were arguable one of the best teams in all of college basketball in the early-mid 70's.

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
I remember listening to the big 4 tournament in jr high class. Remember Wake had Rod Griffen and Gil Mcgregor. I listen to Bob Harris as Duke wasn't on TV much. I remember the southern conference showed a game on Saturday mornings usually Davidson.

Reactions: tate12
There were fights between teams at least a couple of times per year, except for South Carolina. Theirs were pretty much weekly. Randy Denton told me that in his fight with SC that the game was physical and then all of a sudden John Ribock just started swinging.

What great memories are these! The ACC in the '70s was such a dominant league. If 3 or 4 teams were allowed to go to the NCAA tournament from one league, the ACC would have had 2 or 3 teams in the final four each year.

Clemson had a really good team with Skip Wise and Rome (?) and I think Tree Rollins was on that team. Every team had a great player or two. Duke was competitive at home at least and pulled the occasional upset (UNC, Maryland, never State).

Reactions: tate12
South Carolina was 14-0 in the ACC in 1970 but did lose some non-conference games.

Their star point guard--Cremins played wing--John Roche badly sprained an ankle in SC's semifinal win over Wake Forest. He shouldn't have played the next night but it was win-or-go-home, so Roche taped it up and tried to gut it out.

But he wasn't very effective and NC State won a slow-down game, 42-39.

McGuire was from NYC, of course, so he loved the NIT and gladly would have accepted an NIT bid.

But SC was hosting the NCAAs that year and an arcane NCAA rule prohibited any team hosting NCAA competition from playing in the NIT.

Cremins was so bummed that he went to Boone and hid out in the NC mountains for several weeks. I believe he had some serious summer-school work to make up for the absences.

Unfortunately, for the ACC, State went to the NCAAs and got blown out by Saint Bonaventure.

Good times.
What ever happened to Holly Farms chicken? OFC
weren't they sold to Tyson? I used to see their signs everywhere when I went through North WIlkesboro, but I think Tyson is the name now. Holly Farms used to have a restaurant just off 268 in North Wtilkesboro. Slaw was great.

Reactions: skysdad
love it. Thanks for sharing. One day soon, those of us born in the 70's will talk about the Duke games in the early 90's although those are fairly well documented on media but still will be cool to talk about it as having been there. Hell, i'm sure there are some here already who didn't get to see Hurley throw up vs Vegas his freshman year ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT