ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone else heard anything about nasar little and his playing time.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
This may be little (no pun intended) about nothing but coming home today I was listening to a local sports talk radio show. The guy said something about nasar little's playing time and speculation as to the reason. He stated that little is hof coach roy william's like 3rd one and done player since he's been at unc and how many that could have been stayed and it cost them. The guy wasn't really clear about it and kind of left everyone hanging. The host is an admitted tar heel fan though. He also added about a an assistant coach at a high profile program was warned to stay away from little. I don't really know and without more reliable info I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Maybe we need to check in with someone who knows. I wonder what guru gary - 7 is saying. Now if this was about a Duke player the fine folks over at thr would be saying where there's smoke there's fire. OFC

This may be little (no pun intended) about nothing but coming home today I was listening to a local sports talk radio show. The guy said something about nasar little's playing time and speculation as to the reason. He stated that little is hof coach roy william's like 3rd one and done player since he's been at unc and how many that could have been stayed and it cost them. The guy wasn't really clear about it and kind of left everyone hanging. The host is an admitted tar heel fan though. He also added about a an assistant coach at a high profile program was warned to stay away from little. I don't really know and without more reliable info I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Maybe we need to check in with someone who knows. I wonder what guru gary - 7 is saying. Now if this was about a Duke player the fine folks over at thr would be saying where there's smoke there's fire. OFC

I would GUESS Dave Glenn but he hasnt ever 'fessed up to wearing Tar Heel wear with his family in Kenan Stadium. True story btw....

Reactions: Dad2ze
I heard a repeat of the report on the same station by the same host. It was not David Glenn but the show after David Glenn. The host said something about the reason little isn't starting is because he is learning the 4 position because maye,williams and johnson are all wing players and are seniors. Once little learns the 4 he will start and maye will play the 5 like last year when Pinson played the 4. Didn't make a lot of sense to me but what do I know. I guess it's the carolina way. James Michael mcadoo bought it. OFC

Last edited:
I really have no idea how much he is playing, but if it really isn't much, I don't understand why. I have only seen him once and that was the McDonald's game. I thought he looked really good. Can't judge from just one game though. Especially one that doesn't matter

Reactions: DukeDenver
It is hard to reconcile the mindset of only staying a year and finding yourself not playing the minutes or position you want.

Hope the kid has either the maturity or patience to survive. I’m not seeing him in a position to thrive at this point.

I heard a repeat of the report on the same station by the same host. It was not David Glenn but the show after David Glenn. The host said something about the reason little isn't starting is because he is learning the 4 position because maye,williams and johnson are all wing players and are seniors. Once little learns the 4 he will start and maye will play the 5 like last year when Pinson played the 4. Didn't make a lot of sense to me but what do I know. I guess it's the carolina way. James Michael mcadoo bought it. OFC
So Little is learning to play the 4 because Maye is a wing but once Little learns to play the 4 he’ll start and Maye will play the 5? Yeah I agree with you that it doesn’t make sense. If Maye is a wing then why would he play the 5 once Little learns to play the 4 and starts at that position? lol

Reactions: skysdad
So Little is learning to play the 4 because Maye is a wing but once Little learns to play the 4 he’ll start and Maye will play the 5? Yeah I agree with you that it doesn’t make sense. If Maye is a wing then why would he play the 5 once Little learns to play the 4 and starts at that position? lol

For sure. I'm not a basketball guru by any means but I'm still scratching my head about this one. When we play them the match ups should be very interesting. OFC

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
I look for his playing time to increase dramatically when UNC plays Duke. Little is the Zion stopper. As you can see here (McDonald's game) he made a 'great' defensive play (fouling the chit out of him), and got a bonus thumb injury to boot. Yep, Roy will unveil Little around Feb.

Zion-Hacked-by-Little-with-injury-gif.gif

OFC

Well Ol Roy has history of keeping possible one and dones around for at least three years. James Michael and Justin Jackson come to mind.

Wanted Reggie Bullock to stay longer but when he went pro after two Roy badmouthed him in the media.

Limited big man Tony Woods playing time a couple years ago when it was obvious he should have been playing more. When he went to pre-draft camp Ol Roy was there hanging around trying to talk him out of leaving.

Limit their playing time and providing impermissible benefits seems to work. Might be taking pay cuts to go pro in some cases.

Ol Roy always seems to use the “my NBA sources tell me you need to stay” line. Deano used to use it to. Case in point Vince Carter. El Deano had told him his NBA sources had told him he needed to stay. Mamma Carter checked with NBA sources and Vince turned pro.

Well Ol Roy has history of keeping possible one and dones around for at least three years. James Michael and Justin Jackson come to mind.

Wanted Reggie Bullock to stay longer but when he went pro after two Roy badmouthed him in the media.

Limited big man Tony Woods playing time a couple years ago when it was obvious he should have been playing more. When he went to pre-draft camp Ol Roy was there hanging around trying to talk him out of leaving.

Limit their playing time and providing impermissible benefits seems to work. Might be taking pay cuts to go pro in some cases.

Ol Roy always seems to use the “my NBA sources tell me you need to stay” line. Deano used to use it to. Case in point Vince Carter. El Deano had told him his NBA sources had told him he needed to stay. Mamma Carter checked with NBA sources and Vince turned pro.

Good stuff. OFC

Well even though he got all the pt he wanted hof convinced hanstravelfloppergetsfouledalotbuutneverfouls to stay 4 years and look what an outstanding NBA career he had. But on second thought hof coach roy williams might have even right about him not being ready for the league because he knew old psyco t wouldn't get by with the crap he did at unc. By the way what is psych t doing these days? OFC

If Roy is going to play his five best players, then I do think Little probably finds himself playing the four, and thus, UNC playing small again.

UNC will lose Kenny Williams, Cam Johnson and Luke Maye for sure. Despite his struggles so far, I still think Little puts together a good season and leaves. He’s going to be a lottery pick whether he plays a lot or not. If Coby White leaves too....well, then UNC could be really, really thin next season. It would make Cole Anthony an absolutely must-get. But, one would have to wonder....does Anthony really want to play with what’s returning?

David Glenn is a UNC homer!!! Listened to him one day and a guy called in who was a Duke fan. He made DG look like an idiot on his own program and the call magically got dropped.

The guy's ego is beyond belief.....His UNC sunshine pumping and self- promotion make it DO NOT LISTEN for me.

OFC

Reactions: Dukeman and skysdad
Little looked good in the Mickey D game because Zion got hurt and wasn't in it. That broke thumb saved his ass from getting poster dunked.

Well even though he got all the pt he wanted hof convinced hanstravelfloppergetsfouledalotbuutneverfouls to stay 4 years and look what an outstanding NBA career he had. But on second thought hof coach roy williams might have even right about him not being ready for the league because he knew old psyco t wouldn't get by with the crap he did at unc. By the way what is psych t doing these days? OFC

Could be in Ubekistan with Joel.

I really have no idea how much he is playing, but if it really isn't much, I don't understand why. I have only seen him once and that was the McDonald's game. I thought he looked really good. Can't judge from just one game though. Especially one that doesn't matter

This may be part of it. He was visibly going all out in McD's game. Testicles to the wall. RJ was going about 80%, and Cam, Zion, and Tre were clearly just effing around. Effort and hustle are things that are, too often, over valued at the HS level. If a kid has to go 100% to dominate, game in and game out, at the HS level, that isn't a good thing. Because there is no upward trajectory in college. No one can give 110%. 100% is the max, mathematically. Now, as a player's body and skill improve, the overall level of that 100% can go up. But Little's body is fine. He was more physically developed than either RJ or Cam. And in better condition than Zion. His ball handling needs a lot of work. His shooting is spotty. There is a chance that neither one improves dramatically.
But Little went all out to look marginally better than guys who were barely trying. RJ's 80% effort was solely when he could shoot, not in all aspects. Little went all out on both sides of the ball, which rarely happens in all star events.
BECAUSE THE GAMES DON'T REALLY MATTER. Effort and hustle are important. But only when the games really matter. Little cannot up his effort any more. RJ, Cam, and Zion had more room to amp up effort, and they have, now that the games are more important.
Fans and pundits talk about wanting max effort all the time, but that is a fallacy. If our guys can't dominate vs E. Michigan on about 40% effort, we are in trouble.
I think Little may be more like James Michael McAdoo. JMM was a guy with near elite size, near elite athleticism, and very good skill. Coupled with high level effort, he dominated HS. But he didn't have much room to improve his conditioning or athleticism in college. His effort couldn't improve. Guys that he had dominated for years caught up physically, improved their own skills to a comparable level to JMM, and amped up their own effort.
Little may be the same. He was trying harder than his peers in HS. Now that the peers have amped up their own effort, he's SOL.

PY, generally I find your posts to be insightful and informative. Somehow this one above makes zero sense to me.

The guy's ego is beyond belief.....His UNC sunshine pumping and self- promotion make it DO NOT LISTEN for me.

OFC
I heard his 2 hour show where he was talking lawyer talk abut why UNC shouldn’t be punished. I stopped listening to him after that but not before I won a contest off his show.

I look for his playing time to increase dramatically when UNC plays Duke. Little is the Zion stopper. As you can see here (McDonald's game) he made a 'great' defensive play (fouling the chit out of him), and got a bonus thumb injury to boot. Yep, Roy will unveil Little around Feb.

Zion-Hacked-by-Little-with-injury-gif.gif

OFC

OAD, I totally agree that Roy will turn Little loose on Duke, although he should be doing it now. Very good player that should be on the floor the majority of the time.
Don't know what is going on, but I saw Roy pull him out of the Gonzaga game, and Little pretty much blew him off on the way to the bench. Roy seemed to be trying to talk to him, but he wanted none of it?. Too bad!
Go Duke!
OFC

PY, generally I find your posts to be insightful and informative. Somehow this one above makes zero sense to me.

He was great in the MCD's game, but he was playing much harder than everyone else. Despite trying much harder, he only looked marginally better than the rest of the players. Once his opponents matched his effort, he was going to be less effective. He was giving 100% in the McD's game, unlike everyone else. He simply cannot raise his effort beyond what did in HS. His opponents can, and have, upped their own effort level.

OAD, I totally agree that Roy will turn Little loose on Duke, although he should be doing it now. Very good player that should be on the floor the majority of the time.
Don't know what is going on, but I saw Roy pull him out of the Gonzaga game, and Little pretty much blew him off on the way to the bench. Roy seemed to be trying to talk to him, but he wanted none of it?. Too bad!
Go Duke!
OFC

No SG should go to UNC. Roy won't showcase them. White is a nominal SG, but gets to operate as a PG, meaning he gets the ball immediately and can shoot whenever he wants.

I'll admit that before Saturday evening, I hadn't watched the Heels much, save for their game against Michigan. Based on what I've watched/seen so far of Little, he looks pretty disjointed. The Heels offense stops moving once the ball finds his hands. You can tell his 'burst' is pretty electric, but I think he's trying to find himself so much right now that he's forcing. In 21 minutes against the Zags, he had a very pedestrian seven points on 3-of-7 shooting with two turnovers.

Whether or not it's a Heels problem or Little problem, it's noticeable enough to opposing coaches and potential recruits. That it's being pointed out and used against them, whether it's partly on the Heels or not, is of little concern (no pun attended) to me. Basically, what I'm saying is....I'm completely ok with it.

I hope he never starts for unc. The longer on the bench the better OFC

I agree 100%. If Roy goes small and plays Nassir at the 4 while moving Maye to the 5, UNC will be tough. If he continues to play his current lineup, teams will continue to exploit there weaknesses. To be honest, Luke Maye is fools gold and really hurts UNC defensively. Just imagine if Maye has to guard Zion at the 4, Zion will drive past Maye at will and exploit his lack of foot speed. Look at the teams that have beat UNC and you see they’re pulling Maye out of the post and just driving to the basket.

Best not ask Roy about it, if you know what's good for ya, gol' dern it!

There are times I wish K was less military-style "that's classified," like he sometimes will in very exclusive rooms (so I've heard and sadly, only heard). Aaaaaand then there are times when Roy roys and I take it all back.

The funny thing is that I totally accept his explanation*... but I also accept the question in a way he clearly doesn't. It's noteworthy that a player of Little's caliber is playing this li-, er, this many fewer minutes than similarly touted peers. That Roy so frequently gets impatient and frustrated with such questions is a bonus.

(*I should say, I accept the general idea of some 5-star freshmen developing at a different rate and therefore getting limited PT. When Roy starts using Cam Johnson as part of the explanation, though, I start rolling my eyes yet again over how stupid and stubborn he can be about strict positions.)

I'll admit that before Saturday evening, I hadn't watched the Heels much, save for their game against Michigan. Based on what I've watched/seen so far of Little, he looks pretty disjointed. The Heels offense stops moving once the ball finds his hands. You can tell his 'burst' is pretty electric, but I think he's trying to find himself so much right now that he's forcing. In 21 minutes against the Zags, he had a very pedestrian seven points on 3-of-7 shooting with two turnovers.

Whether or not it's a Heels problem or Little problem, it's noticeable enough to opposing coaches and potential recruits. That it's being pointed out and used against them, whether it's partly on the Heels or not, is of little concern (no pun attended) to me. Basically, what I'm saying is....I'm completely ok with it.
Roy and Jay Wright dipping their toes in the 1 and done water and now dealing with some of the difficulties that come along with them. Jay's guy on twitter bitching about playing time and Roy's guy not fitting in his system and ruining his draft stock. Will be interesting to see going forward.

I didn’t see any jabs at Duke but maybe I’m missing something from that article.
He said he would rather go to a program that wants to win rather than go to a program that just wants to showcase. It’s not in that article I don’t think. It was like a month ago when he said it.

He said he would rather go to a program that wants to win rather than go to a program that just wants to showcase. It’s not in that article I don’t think. It was like a month ago when he said it.
Ahh yeah you’re referring to Little i thought you were talking about Roy taking a subtle jab in that piece Dat posted. Little absolutely did at the start of the season. It wasn’t even subtle.

Nassir draft stock just keeps going down. Lol! And after the shot and subtle jab he took at Duke, I couldn’t be more than happier!

I think Nassir returning for a 2nd season is becoming more likely. It’s amazing how Roy can take these type of players and keep them several years. Hopefully, Nassir doesn’t fall for Roys BS draft stock feedback.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I just don’t think Little will be back. He’s different than some of these kids they’ve had in the past. He’s going to be a top 10 pick whether he plays another minute or not. He’s be stupid to return.

Cam struggles some and starts.
Nassir struggles some and sits the bench.

One coach is happy in the positives.
One coach is irritated explaining his benching philosophy.

Thinking that UNC will be struggling in its recruiting of 5* for another season or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT