ADVERTISEMENT

Hard hitting

Curious as to how brad would recruit if at Duke?
He always had upper class men on his rosters at Butler.
He could use his NBA talent yet the Celtics core hasn’t exactly meshed especially Irving.

By the time Coach K leaves the one and done will be over. So it’ll be back to the old days. NBA superstars have egos. What the Celtics did in the playoffs last year was the worst thing that could happen honestly. Kyrie knows that they can win without him but he’s the franchise player so he has to put up his numbers to get that Steph Curry deal.

Curious as to how brad would recruit if at Duke?
He always had upper class men on his rosters at Butler.
He could use his NBA talent yet the Celtics core hasn’t exactly meshed especially Irving.
Couple of things...1) Brad has proven he doesn’t need elite talent to win both in the NCAA and NBA 2) Being at Duke he would have access to elite talent he didn’t have access to before 3) Irving has pretty much proven to be a malcontent both in Cleveland and now Boston...The Celetics where good without him and with him hurt...worse off with him..The Cavs stunk with him then got Lebron and then Irving became a problem...Quite honestly Irving seems like the kind of teammate you do not want on your team...

Sounds like a lot of "fans" are only fans because Duke is good. Which is why so many people are salty because they reIy on Duke to make their lives better. I bet half the people on this board wouldn't be Duke fans if we were a middle of the pack ACC team. Probably ban wagon jumpers from the early 2000s or so. I wonder if we actually face adverse years, who will stick?

I'm completely in agreement with your statement.

People who are embarrassed by the performance of the kids on this year's team need to check their priorities in life.

I'm disappointed we didn't win a title and I feel bad for the guys who were really part of a special team, but I'm in no way personally embarrassed by their performance against Michigan State or by the outcome and I'm not embarrassed for them. It's sports. Losses happen.

I'm completely in agreement with your statement.

People who are embarrassed by the performance of the kids on this year's team need to check their priorities in life.

I'm disappointed we didn't win a title and I feel bad for the guys who were really part of a special team, but I'm in no way personally embarrassed by their performance against Michigan State or by the outcome and I'm not embarrassed for them. It's sports. Losses happen.

Embarrassing loss

I can't speak for others just myself. But I am not at all embarrassed by the kids that played this year they were straight warriors and killers as Zion would say. I just think it's fair to criticize K when he doesn't coach up to the standards he himself has done before in the past. I'm sorry anyway you slice it this team K should have done more with. We kill Roy but over the last 5 yrs he has done more with less talent and to be quite honest it's not even close in my opinion. And I love Duke to death probably more than I should but hey that's my team always and forever.

Reactions: Quavarius
What should I tell her? How some internet tough guy got embarrassed by the on-court performance of a bunch of kids he doesn't know and then got triggered when someone called him out for sounding ridiculous?

What? I’m not personally embarrassed. Our program should be for lack of ships with elite talent

Reactions: appleberry2
If he made the F4 or won the national championship, everyone would be praising him left and right. People can say whatever they want but the fact that he only lost 2 games with a healthy roster is pretty impressive no matter what way you flip it. Does everyone expect an undefeated season? Hasn’t happened since the ‘76 Hoosiers.

1 basket away from a different perspective.

Also 1 basket away from a second round loss where he would be getting crucified by the media.

What? I’m not personally embarrassed. Our program should be for lack of ships with elite talent

It's no use arguing this lol. Some posters on here get defensive if you call out 1K for not using all his talent. 2 final fours in the past 15 years is disappointing in my opinion with all the talent coming through Durham.

2 first team all americans, the top 2 picks in the draft, and another top 10 pick in Reddish and can't make a Final Four? Almost lose 2nd round too...

I saw a meme with "8 McDonalds All Americans - 0 Final Fours"

I think our results the past 3 seasons with 3 Top recruiting classes is nice :: 2 Elite Eights and 2/6 ACC Trophies.

Solid but not great. I would negatively judge others programs for the same results.

Reactions: pisgah101
@pisgah101, I get that you’re mad and fed up and whatever else. This season absolutely deserves scrutiny and praise at the same time. But you seriously can’t hear any other opinions on the matter other than yours right now? Come on man.

Why be a complete jerk right now?

I saw a meme with "8 McDonalds All Americans - 0 Final Fours"

I think our results the past 3 seasons with 3 Top recruiting classes is nice :: 2 Elite Eights and 2/6 ACC Trophies.

Solid but not great. I would negatively judge others programs for the same results.

Solid results but disappointing with the talent on the roster and the talent on opposing teams. I'm more surprised about how this Duke team peaked first game of the year and can't really say anyone but Zion (maybe RJ) improved over the course of the year. Reddish certainly didn't.

@pisgah101, I get that you’re mad and fed up and whatever else. This season absolutely deserves scrutiny and praise at the same time. But you seriously can’t hear any other opinions on the matter other than yours right now? Come on man.

Why be a complete jerk right now?

A complete jerk? Haha ok. Where you at while an April fools post lasted all day directed at me? A whole lot of people feel the exact same way I do.

A complete jerk? Haha ok

Seriously. For the past 4 days, anyone who has offered even half an opposition to your thoughts you’ve been nothing but an ass.

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me, but it’ll look pretty silly next time you complain about people shutting down your “honest” comments. Just sayin’.

It’s cute though keep it coming.

A complete jerk? Haha ok. Where you at while an April fools post lasted all day directed at me? A whole lot of people feel the exact same way I do.

Ipsychosis doesn't seem like the sharpest dude but he did come pretty witty at you with that thread. You went in on him pretty hard in the Cam Reddish thread, if I recall, so maybe you had it coming from him.

Don't get so upset over everything.

Seriously. For the past 4 days, anyone who has offered even half an opposition to your thoughts you’ve been nothing but an ass.

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me, but it’ll look pretty silly next time you complain about people shutting down your “honest” comments. Just sayin’.

It’s cute though keep it coming.

Ahh got it now I’ve been an ass for sticking to my opinion? So I have insulted anyone on here besides not agreeing with their basketball opinion but yet you’ve called me two separate names now. When do I complain about people shooting down my opinion? I couldn’t care less if any of y’all disagree with me it’s a freaking board but I’m going to keep em coming. What’s cute is you picking your battles for random reasons. If you disagree with me great you can say something to me besides the way you’ve chose to handle this

Reactions: dukehokie
Ipsychosis doesn't seem like the sharpest dude but he did come pretty witty at you with that thread. You went in on him pretty hard in the Cam Reddish thread, if I recall, so maybe you had it coming from him.

Don't get so upset over everything.

Oh he’s not all there I’m not actually upset it’s just funny to me that that’s okay but basketball opinions aren’t.

Oh he’s not all there I’m not actually upset it’s just funny to me that that’s okay but basketball opinions aren’t.

Well, it did get locked after about 10 replies and I haven't seen him post since, so that's not exactly an endorsement of that type of thread.

Saying we were the most talented team is a real misnomer.
We would have been the most talented team if Cam played like a lottery pick. He didn't.
We would have been the most talented team if Tre shot 33% or better from 3. He didn't.
We would have been the most talented team if Jack played the entire season like he did early on. He disappeared????!
We would have been the most talented team if Alex could play D half as good as Jordan.
We would have been the most talented team if Jordan could avg 35% from 3 on wide open jumpers. Not happening this year.
We had the most talented player who wowed everyone and played like the most talented player. Amazing for a freshman. We had ARGUABLY the 2nd most talented player who played that way probably 1/2 the time. Damn good for a freshman, but not good enough. Based on performance throughout the year, we did not have the most talented team.
All we did was win 32 games.

Reactions: Quavarius and Jtre
Ahh got it now I’ve been an ass for sticking to my opinion? So I have insulted anyone on here besides not agreeing with their basketball opinion but yet you’ve called me two separate names now. When do I complain about people shooting down my opinion? I couldn’t care less if any of y’all disagree with me it’s a freaking board but I’m going to keep em coming. What’s cute is you picking your battles for random reasons. If you disagree with me great you can say something to me besides the way you’ve chose to handle this

So if I say, I disagree with some of your takes, @pisgah101. IMO, did this team underachieve based on talent alone. Sure. If that’s your only measure. But with some pretty major injuries stunting this team’s development for literally more than half of the season, is that such a shock? Absolutely not. To refer to this as K’s worst coaching, is to completely ignore what actually happened with this team. I’ll just start there.

If I say that, am I going to get yet another smartass answer? Or do we actually get to discuss. Asking for a friend.

Also, I hope this doesn’t affect whether you listen to the podcast this week. I’d truly be heartbroken. Truly.

Reactions: Quavarius
So if I say, I disagree with some of your takes, @pisgah101. IMO, did this team underachieve based on talent alone. Sure. If that’s your only measure. But with some pretty major injuries stunting this team’s development for literally more than half of the season, is that such a shock? Absolutely not. To refer to this as K’s worst coaching, is to completely ignore what actually happened with this team. I’ll just start there.

If I say that, am I going to get yet another smartass answer? Or do we actually get to discuss. Asking for a friend.

Also, I hope this doesn’t affect whether you listen to the podcast this week. I’d truly be heartbroken. Truly.

Well I didn’t say his worst but with two AA and 3 lottos it’s pretty lousy. And Depends on which friend you’re asking for

I think there's a difference here between sharing an opinion, sticking to it, and being open to discussion versus what is actually happening in some of these posts. You can share your opinion or response without seeking conflict. There are some well thought out, nicely drafted replies in this thread that have been met head-on with the same response.

And the word "embarrassing" takes away from the years of hard work that MSU players put in to make their win happen. For some, that may well be the highlight of their basketball careers. The dude who hit the go-ahead 3 for them was a walk-on 5th-year senior who turned down scholarship offers so that he could play for Izzo. Calling a that embarrassing cheapens everything that he ever worked for.

An embarrassing loss would be one where our guys gave up and didn't compete. I never saw that this season. This team (and staff) busted their ass in every single game.

Well, it did get locked after about 10 replies and I haven't seen him post since, so that's not exactly an endorsement of that type of thread.

Haha! That’s true he hasn’t posted since and 6 of the reply’s were himself LOL

Saying we were the most talented team is a real misnomer.
We would have been the most talented team if Cam played like a lottery pick. He didn't.
We would have been the most talented team if Tre shot 33% or better from 3. He didn't.
We would have been the most talented team if Jack played the entire season like he did early on. He disappeared????!
We would have been the most talented team if Alex could play D half as good as Jordan.
We would have been the most talented team if Jordan could avg 35% from 3 on wide open jumpers. Not happening this year.
We had the most talented player who wowed everyone and played like the most talented player. Amazing for a freshman. We had ARGUABLY the 2nd most talented player who played that way probably 1/2 the time. Damn good for a freshman, but not good enough. Based on performance throughout the year, we did not have the most talented team.
All we did was win 32 games.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a lot of this freak out comes from the fact so many have spent the last x amount of years saying John Calipari can't coach because he "only," has the one title at Kentucky and to say how much those teams underachieve.

After doing that year-in, year-out it's caused people here to apply the same logic to Coach K and Duke. The reality is, the people who said that about Calipari were wrong then just like they're wrong now.

Having the most talented player or couple players doesn't always equate to having the best talent and it doesn't always equate to having the best team.

I think we did have the best team this year. Unfortunately, one of our two losses as a complete team came on the last day of March. It sucks but it is what it is.

@dukehokie and any points you were attempting to make are thrown out when you call someone a jerk and ass. Nobody responds well to that unless you’re some beta

Well I didn’t say his worst but with two AA and 3 lottos it’s pretty lousy. And Depends on which friend you’re asking for

Asking for the one that saw a team that only had those two AA’s as consistent threats. Asking for the friend that saw K give everyone on this roster, including the redshirt guy a chance at providing some spark. Asking for the friend that saw 09-10 Kentucky, 05-06 Duke and 97-98 Kansas land two 1st team All-Americans, yet fail to make the final weekend, yet those squads are still referred to in reverence. Those are just a few thoughts.

@dukehokie and any points you were attempting to make are thrown out when you call someone a jerk and ass. Nobody responds well to that unless you’re some beta

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. Please don’t hate me.:( Next time I’ll say “like a jerk.” Or “like an ass.” That should soften the blow. Good advice.

Still not worse than what you’ve been doing to people for the past three days. I digress.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3

2017 was his worst. This was a close 2nd. 2016 may have been his best in awhile actually

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. Please don’t hate me.:( Next time I’ll say “like a jerk.” Or “like an ass.” That should soften the blow. Good advice.

Still not worse than what you’ve been doing to people for the past three days. I digress.

Keep acting like a smug prick it’s a good look on you

Reactions: dukehokie
2017 was his worst. This was a close 2nd. 2016 may have been his best in awhile actually

I’m going to wait before I put this with his worse jobs. Injuries play a huge part. Sorry, they do. This team couldn’t get better as a unit. 2016 got better because the guys few together. Grayson’s end to that season hurt the team’s potential. Losing Zion when we did helped remedy some things (Alex and Goldwire in particular) but losing Tre, Jack and Ques at times didn’t help. Ques went down right when he was at his best. RJ never got to truly develop his work as a distributor because there were no true scoring options for him.

Part of the story for this team will be did we run the right offense. K stuck to his guns with that 5 out, but it hurt a squad that couldn’t shoot well. It made their strength of getting to the basket more difficult to execute actually. So as we look back, we may absolutely say, “K should have done better with this squad,” but I don’t know that it’s one of his worst.

‘17 was also one shot away from a different feeling. Do you feel the same had Grayson made that bucket?

I’m going to wait before I put this with his worse jobs. Injuries play a huge part. Sorry, they do. This team couldn’t get better as a unit. 2016 got better because the guys few together. Grayson’s end to that season hurt the team’s potential. Losing Zion when we did helped remedy some things (Alex and Goldwire in particular) but losing Tre, Jack and Ques at times didn’t help. Ques went down right when he was at his best. RJ never got to truly develop his work as a distributor because there were no true scoring options for him.

Part of the story for this team will be did we run the right offense. K stuck to his guns with that 5 out, but it hurt a squad that couldn’t shoot well. It made their strength of getting to the basket more difficult to execute actually. So as we look back, we may absolutely say, “K should have done better with this squad,” but I don’t know that it’s one of his worst.

‘17 was also one shot away from a different feeling. Do you feel the same had Grayson made that bucket?

2016 team was the Ingram team. He did a great job with what we had after Amile injury. 2017 was just bad. It looked like no one had roles that year. I think we should’ve went big that year. Brought Grayson off the bench to be the spark plug. That could’ve been a really good defensive team. 2018 we just missed the layup. I liked that team. Offensively that was probably the best of the last 5 years.

2016 team was the Ingram team. He did a great job with what we had after Amile injury. 2017 was just bad. It looked like no one had roles that year. I think we should’ve went big that year. Brought Grayson off the bench to be the spark plug. That could’ve been a really good defensive team. 2018 we just missed the layup. I liked that team. Offensively that was probably the best of the last 5 years.

Ok gotcha. I had my years off. I didn’t think 16-17 was great, but he did a lot with what he had. Again, between Grayson and the injuries, he couldn’t make adjustments fast enough.

My only gripe with the OAD years has been a lack of a backup plan in case some of these dudes go out, which at this point, has to be expected.

Next year could shape up to be pretty deep, granted that means landing Hurt and/or Watford and keeping Tre or getting Hampton or Lewis to come in.

2017 we had no point guard because Thornton transferred and Jackson was a scorer. A true PG on that team would have been a godsend. We also played South Carolina in South Carolina, which was a joke of a draw. Politics forced the game to be moved, but that's another story. But there's no away a Junior Grayson was coming off the bench after having such a great 2016 season (although I think he should have left after 2016).

2018 we went cold from 3 (Allen and Trent were 4-19), and somehow Duval was our leading scorer that game. The block call on Carter was bogus, and Duval gambled on a steal that led to an open 3 for Kansas that either tied the game or gave them a big lead. Going to Grayson late almost worked out, but it reminded me so much of watching Trajan Langdon flail up the court to attempt the game winner against UCONN in 99. Our best player, Bagley, didn't touch the ball for like the last 5 minutes or something.

2019 we had a ton of just unforced errors. Our first possession of the game was a turnover because someone passed Javin the ball and he wasn't even looking. Zion threw an inbounds pass out of bounds. MSU's defense was good, but probably half of those errors we don't make all season.

2017 was in no way his worst. We were injury riddled all year, and Kennard and Tatum had bad/selfish attitudes all year. Hell our offense, which needed them badly, essentially boiled down to which of the two could take the worst, most off balance, deep jumpshot possible. It was a small miracle we made the tourney with a team so dysfunctional. What a lot of people who criticize K don't seem to understand is, in order for a team to be successful you need both the coach do his job and the players to buy in with coach and put the team before themselves. Before this year, we haven't a team of guys like that since 2015. I'm not saying K is perfect or all knowing or whatever, but, he is the best. One last thing, I see everyone giving 100% of the credit for the wins to the players, and 100% of the blame for all the losses on K. It's a two way street guys, if your blame him for the losses credit him for the wins, if you credit The Zions and RJ's of the world for our success, blame them for our failures as well. This post isn't just directed at you dachamp, it's for everyone bitching about how bad a job K did.

2017 was in no way his worst. We were injury riddled all year, and Kennard and Tatum had bad/selfish attitudes all year. Hell our offense, which needed them badly, essentially boiled down to which of the two could take the worst, most off balance, deep jumpshot possible. It was a small miracle we made the tourney with a team so dysfunctional. What a lot of people who criticize K don't seem to understand is, in order for a team to be successful you need both the coach do his job and the players to buy in with coach and put the team before themselves. Before this year, we haven't a team of guys like that since 2015. I'm not saying K is perfect or all knowing or whatever, but, he is the best. One last thing, I see everyone giving 100% of the credit for the wins to the players, and 100% of the blame for all the losses on K. It's a two way street guys, if your blame him for the losses credit him for the wins, if you credit The Zions and RJ's of the world for our success, blame them for our failures as well. This post isn't just directed at you dachamp, it's for everyone bitching about how bad a job K did.

"It was a small miracle we made the tourney with a team so dysfunctional"... What? Are we talking about the 2017 team who was preseason #1 (IIRC)?

I’ve always thought one of the worst years coaching by K was the Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood year...it was pretty bad..

I don’t think he did a bad job this year..but some of the in game decisions are questionable..I think he does a pretty good job molding the team actually..but his in game coaching and strategy at times makes little to no sense...I didn’t used to think that about K..

I’ve always thought one of the worst years coaching by K was the Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood year...it was pretty bad..

I don’t think he did a bad job this year..but some of the in game decisions are questionable..I think he does a pretty good job molding the team actually..but his in game coaching and strategy at times makes little to no sense...I didn’t used to think that about K..

I agree about the Jabari team. They were not handled well.

Like most coaches, he sticks to what he’s comfortable with, and occasionally he goes off script. He’s absolutely not infallible, but he’s not been degraded to the 5th or 6th best coach in the ACC (a comment I’ve seen quite a few times now). But I agree. His in game adjustments at the end of this season did not work. We just couldn’t put teams away. Not since February really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT