ADVERTISEMENT

G-League

Is the G League owned and operated by the NBA? If so, I wish that they could implement a baseball-type situation where if you don't go pro right after high school you had to wait 3 years. The NBA could even increase their draft to 4 or 5 rounds to use the G League as their true minor league. Some of you that follow the NBA ( I just a casual NBA watcher) could probably tell me why that wouldn't work. I would be interested to know.

true but the same could be said of the G League. At least if you're in college you can come back until this plays out. They could still do online classes. I don't know.
Yeah. I would think the Virus would possibly even impact the kids to choose school over the G-League. Because if everything is cancelled...at least you get some college credits taken care of instead of getting paid $0 to play in a cancelled G-League.

We should have all known years back this was coming. K has called out the NCAA MULTIPLE TIMES for having zero plan on how to keep the elite athletes in school, and we will now see the trickled down effects it has on the sport we all passionately follow.

The NBA owns the G-League. There will never be a "baseball" rule because that hurts the NBA. If a freshman in college is good enough to play in the NBA, the NBA wants that kid, they don't care what effect this has on the college game. It sucks but it's the reality we will live in. The best possible thing a school like Duke can do is start grabbing some lower tiered 5 star (upper 4-star) kids like a Henry Coleman for example and cross your fingers hoping you get at least 2 years out of a prospect like that.

So Top 3 prospect Jalen green has decided to skip college and go straight to the g league. Supposedly he’ll make like 500,000.

is this the beginning of a huge new trend?

Reactions: skysdad
This is going to be great for some kids, but is going to backfire on others and they will likely be stuck in the G-League for a long time..

I hope this doesn’t become a BIG trend though and we start losing players that have already committed to Duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This is going to be great for some kids, but is going to backfire on others and they will likely be stuck in the G-League for a long time..

I hope this doesn’t become a BIG trend though and we start losing players that have already committed to Duke.

That's the problem I see. A kid commits to a program and you have your team filled then he decides he wants to give the G-league a shot. If two or three recruits decide that then the program is shot. There are gonna be some changes. The NCAA has some thinking to do. That's the mai reason I wish right now that the NBA and NCAA would get together and immediatly let high school players go straight into the draft or if they opted for college it would be like baseball and football. You have to three years. That would take care of the problem. The top coaches would still get the best players left and it would still be college basketball and we would love it. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
That same problem exists if players can go directly to the NBA draft from high school. I don't know how to deal with it. Recruit two players for every position of need and hope you have enough scholarships?

I think this will also hurt the NBA to some extent. The marketing that is provided free of cost for young players should not be discounted. Zion's one year st Duke sold way more seats and merchandise than would have been the case if he skipped college. I think the college game helps the NBA in many ways.

I think this will also hurt the NBA to some extent. The marketing that is provided free of cost for young players should not be discounted. Zion's one year st Duke sold way more seats and merchandise than would have been the case if he skipped college. I think the college game helps the NBA in many ways.

That’s the advantage of being a Duke or UK, though. Maybe now UNC, too. For some some guys you weigh the pros and cons and it just makes more sense to start collecting checks.

Lastly, the marketing is nice for these kids, but I’m sure they’d rather collect a check. Zion made nothing off his likeness in college....but Duke reaped benefits off Zion. That’s also a reason college is losing these young players. What’s in it for them when you lay the pieces side by side?

Another potential issue i also see is when eventually ESPN or whoever starts covering and promoting G-league games on tv in direct competition to college. NCAA better get their head out of their ass and quickly.

The NBA is not interested in working with the NCAA. They want them in the G-League for a year. This will help them build up the G-League making it more attractive of an option and for attractive to the "one and dones".

He may never attend any college. It is a smart move, because it opens up a spot on a college team for an athlete that wants to get a college education.

In a perfect world, I wish things stayed just like they are. Call me crazy, but I loved every second of watching Zion play in college, even though I knew it was only gonna be for 1 year. Ditto for countless other Duke freshman.
Now, could certain fringe guys stay in school longer and then college basketball becomes a better product?? Of course. I think that's what is killing college basketball, the guys who leave (and go undrafted) should stay in college and be an All-American. If the NCAA stepped up and did something, maybe those fringe undrafted guys would stay, maybe Cassius Stanley gives us another year?

But the way things look now, we may never see another Zion in college basketball, and thats gonna suck for us, and suck for the NCAA.

Reactions: RHFD
Another potential issue i also see is when eventually ESPN or whoever starts covering and promoting G-league games on tv in direct competition to college. NCAA better get their head out of their ass and quickly.

The movement that may slow up the exodus of players is now you open the borders for more foreign players. There are 15 slots on 30 teams in the G - League. There will be plenty of competition and a hesitation to jump in the minor leagues.

Marketing and TV exposure will predetermine a whole lot.

Not for nothing, Duke made Zion millions In his one year. If he won Duke the title, it would have been even more. That money was just deferred one year. Oh, and he had the best year of his life too. Not too shabby.

I think Zion did right by Duke, too. It wasn’t just Zion who benefited.
No doubt, but it was definitely mutually beneficial. Zion may not have made money off his likeness (although this needs to change asap), but there's no chance he gets the same buzz from the g-league that year.

My point exactly DJ and Tim. College hoops should and usually does benefit both parties. NCAA and individual schools can and should do better. Many players piss away the majority of the benefits. But, their is plenty of opportunity for all parties and and the G League wont change that.

College hoops will survive with or without OADs. Yea we might not see the Zions of the world but for us old timers we never saw Kobe, LeBron, and countless others that skipped college and went into the league. Really I believe the old rivalries will be back because players will live the rivalries for more than 1 year. This next year will be a perfect example when UNC and Duke play. Hardly any of Dukes players will even think about last year, but you better bet your ass Carolina players still remember getting swept last year and you will see the difference in the first game. College will be fine. It has and it will roll on.

College hoops will survive with or without OADs. Yea we might not see the Zions of the world but for us old timers we never saw Kobe, LeBron, and countless others that skipped college and went into the league. Really I believe the old rivalries will be back because players will live the rivalries for more than 1 year. This next year will be a perfect example when UNC and Duke play. Hardly any of Dukes players will even think about last year, but you better bet your ass Carolina players still remember getting swept last year and you will see the difference in the first game. College will be fine. It has and it will roll on.

Well put. I feel the same.OFC

How can they make it that they can go back to college? That doesn’t seem possible!
I’m pretty sure that it means that they’ll pay for players to back to college to finish their degrees or for players to go to college that went to G League out of high school but those players wouldn’t be able to play basketball if they choose to go back to college.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jnood
I’m pretty sure that it means that they’ll pay for players to back to college to finish their degrees or .org fog players to go to college that went to G League out of high school but those players wouldn’t be able to play basketball if they choose to go back to college.

thanks, I’m pretty lazy for having this much time on my hands!

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
thanks, I’m pretty lazy for having this much time on my hands!
Most of us do at this point. The only thing that I’ve done for the last month plus has been watching tv other than a handful of times that I’ve gone out riding around for exercise.

Recently, there have been high profile commits opting out to go to play minor league basketball. I see this as a potential problem for college basketball. Thoughts?
Recently, there have been high profile commits opting out to go to play minor league basketball. I see this as a potential problem for college basketball. Thoughts?
If the Jalen Green deal becomes common, the College game will be effected. I think we will see teams, especially the one and done schools, with upper classmen lead teams. Like the old days, the starting teams will be juniors and seniors. Teams like the Villanova team that won a NC a few years ago, will be the standard. When Duke plays unc and the players are mostly juniors and seniors, you won't be thinking of the one and done years !

Dashien Nix, a 5 star point guard expected to start for UCLA, announced he is going to the G League. Big blow for them.

dukiejay said:

sheyduke said:

I say good for them. The only issue I have is if they never get drafted to the NBA what was the point of skipping college?[/quote]

Even as a ‘secondary’ pro a lot of these guys can make pretty good money when you consider they’re 19 to 21 years old.

I get that but what is too gleague pay maybe 50,000. Your agent gets what ten percent and after taxes you get what 38,000? Now let’s say it’s 100,000. Your agent gets ten percent that’s 90,000. After they pay taxes let’s say they are at 75,000. Now let’s say the dont get drafted and their weakness prove to be more then the gleague finds wanting what’s their second year contract look like?
Not to mention the nba teams that draft players and send them to the gleague who do you think gets playing time over the regular gleague players?

I’m all for kids getting what they want and getting paid but I just am also a realist and don’t want to hear no one whining when they don’t make it to the league. Especially with covid-19 how does that work if the kid doesn’t play how does he get paid?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="sheyduke,

I’m all for kids getting what they want and getting paid but I just am also a realist and don’t want to hear no one whining when they don’t make it to the league.[/QUOTE]

Jalen Green is making 500K (Max) in the G-League this year.
Nix is rumored to agree on 300K.
Isaiah Todd has already agreed on 400k.

Those are the 3 2020 5-star guys that have chosen this route instead of college.

Reactions: christophero
With the affiliated salary bump (when this program started I think the salary was around 100K), this is definitely a viable and intriguing option for some high school kids. Luckily I think college is still a better option for most kids. The college option provides significantly more exposure and "branding" opportunities for kids in that year between high school and the draft, which translates into larger immediate endorsement deals. But the fact remains, the NCAA is going to lose multiple kids to this program every year.

With the affiliated salary bump (when this program started I think the salary was around 100K), this is definitely a viable and intriguing option for some high school kids. Luckily I think college is still a better option for most kids. The college option provides significantly more exposure and "branding" opportunities for kids in that year between high school and the draft, which translates into larger immediate endorsement deals. But the fact remains, the NCAA is going to lose multiple kids to this program every year.
Unless they pass the NIL clause that it seems is coming. If that’s the case then you can’t compete. There are other things I’d do, changing the curriculum being one of them for athletes who are likely to go pro.

I’m pretty sure that it means that they’ll pay for players to back to college to finish their degrees or for players to go to college that went to G League out of high school but those players wouldn’t be able to play basketball if they choose to go back to college.
To heck with college. The last thing we need in this world (other than more basketball players) is more graduates with degrees in "Communications" whatever that is or Sociology or Afro American Studies. If you want to give them anything, which I don't, how about an apprenticeship in a useful trade, like plumbing or electrician, or truck driving? Anyone out there still want to work for a living?
OFC

To heck with college. The last thing we need in this world (other than more basketball players) is more graduates with degrees in "Communications" whatever that is or Sociology or Afro American Studies. If you want to give them anything, which I don't, how about an apprenticeship in a useful trade, like plumbing or electrician, or truck driving? Anyone out there still want to work for a living?
OFC
If they wanted to learn a trade then they wouldn’t even consider going to college or the G League or the NBA. So I’m not really sure what your post about trade school has to do with this thread.

Droves of high school players will opt for G-league and bomb out within two years. At 20 they will have very few life options. Then media will rip NBA for not providing college type life development.

For every Lebron or KD there are tons of kids who never made it. Remember the NBA in 90’s, high school players washed out at an alarming rate.

As for me, glad OAD is over. Not fond of watching fundamentally flawed basketball. Want to see players develop.

NBA is going to become AAU basketball. It’s almost there.

Droves of high school players will opt for G-league and bomb out within two years. At 20 they will have very few life options. Then media will rip NBA for not providing college type life development.

For every Lebron or KD there are tons of kids who never made it. Remember the NBA in 90’s, high school players washed out at an alarming rate.

As for me, glad OAD is over. Not fond of watching fundamentally flawed basketball. Want to see players develop.

NBA is going to become AAU basketball. It’s almost there.
Part of their pitch is offering these guys a scholarship to attend college after playing. They’ve already thought that step through.

Part of their pitch is offering these guys a scholarship to attend college after playing. They’ve already thought that step through.

Which colleges will they send kids to? West Central State CC? Owners ain’t spending $ on players who get cut.

What I truly love is how the media is all in on this but Mike Greenberg, J-Will & Rose will be screaming about washouts with no education or life skills within two seasons.

Jaylen Green gets $500k, that’s one player. What does last pick get? What about others who don’t get picked? What about kids cut after first season?

J-Will said let these kids put themselves in the free market. That’s fine but Jay remember the decisions you made in your 20’s? For every Jaylen Green there will hundreds of washouts.

Saw three mins of a Greensboro Swarm game few years back, there are more fans at my kids middle school games. For me going to a major program would be the choice.

I think what makes the Nix/UCLA situation different is Nix had already signed his letter of intent.

There’s an awful lot of things for college basketball to sort out. The G league, one and done, athletes getting some kind of payment.

Personally, I think this has the makings of looking like a monkey humping a football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT