ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Attack !

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
I like the way he gets pumped up during a game, very intense, kinda like when Westbrook gets fired up for a high level of play. Landing this kid was huge.

Not saying this in a bad way, but he's got an @$$holes demeanor on the court. I friggin LOVE that. This team lacks that other than Grayson and you could even say Brandon the past few games.

That attitude will be huge for the team next year, because Harry has the same fire. Frank will be a key player next year.

Wow, thanks for sharing that video. Didn't realize he had those hops! He looks bigger than before. Gonna fit very nicely at the 2 if Grayson goes pro (or even if he doesn't). Our backcourt is literally going to make people poop themselves next year.

Reactions: topps coach
Not saying this in a bad way, but he's got an @$$holes demeanor on the court. I friggin LOVE that. This team lacks that other than Grayson and you could even say Brandon the past few games.

That attitude will be huge for the team next year, because Harry has the same fire. Frank will be a key player next year.

Though, I would say -- a couple of his dad's comments about his alpha dog mentality do make me a bit nervous about how he will react if he doesn't get a lot of minutes next season. At this point, I think the strong odds are that we're returning everyone on the perimeter other than Grayson -- and even Grayson leaving isn't 100% lock by any means. That probably means Thornton & Jones starting on the perimeter and Kennard the heavy-minute backup scoring guard who's first off the bench. While I think Frank will play next year, not sure that he's more than a 10-15 minute guy (and even less on some nights) once you account for Tatum playing a majority of the time at the 3.

Though, I would say -- a couple of his dad's comments about his alpha dog mentality do make me a bit nervous about how he will react if he doesn't get a lot of minutes next season. At this point, I think the strong odds are that we're returning everyone on the perimeter other than Grayson -- and even Grayson leaving isn't 100% lock by any means. That probably means Thornton & Jones starting on the perimeter and Kennard the heavy-minute backup scoring guard who's first off the bench. While I think Frank will play next year, not sure that he's more than a 10-15 minute guy (and even less on some nights) once you account for Tatum playing a majority of the time at the 3.

He is the type of talent K will find floor time for. He was a PG. at one point so he'll see time behind Derryck at the 1 and Matt at the 2, maybe even some 3 should someone get hurt or a message needs sending. His role will resemble what we saw with Jason Williams.

Bottom line, Frank will play and it won't be token time. Grayson and Brandon are as good as gone if they keep up 75% of their current production with little to no fade. Grayson is being looked at as a Devin Booker type of draft pick and Brandon is starting to show why he's looked at as a tall, lengthy scorer. His D has looked decent enough for lottery speak too.

He is the type of talent K will find floor time for. He was a PG. at one point so he'll see time behind Derryck at the 1 and Matt at the 2, maybe even some 3 should someone get hurt or a message needs sending. His role will resemble what we saw with Jason Williams.

Bottom line, Frank will play and it won't be token time. Grayson and Brandon are as good as gone if they keep up 75% of their current production with little to no fade. Grayson is being looked at as a Devin Booker type of draft pick and Brandon is starting to show why he's looked at as a tall, lengthy scorer. His D has looked decent enough for lottery speak too.

I assume Grayson will leave b/c most of our guys seem to be leaving these days when they have a chance to make the jump to the NBA. With that said, as much as I like Grayson on this level, I really have not seen much to suggest that he's currently viewed as a potential lottery pick; let alone a lottery pick prospect on the level of Booker. The very big difference between Grayson and Booker is that Booker has prototypical NBA size for the 2 guard position (about 6'6 in shoes, 6'9 wingspan, and should grow into about 215) -- whereas Grayson is a bit undersized at the 2 (probably around 6'4 with a 6'6 wingspan and weighs only about 190). Nearly every projection I've seen to date suggests that Grayson's in the early 20s at best and, IMO, he'd clearly have to continue this level of production through the ACC season to catapult himself into the lottery conversation. Also, it's not an insignificant fact to NBA folks that Grayson's production is coming as a soph. -- not as a freshman.

Regardless of how BI plays this season, he's a vastly superior NBA prospect b/c he's got NBA dimensions / skill-level and clearly has a built-in explanation for any struggles he does have (i.e., weight). In a weak draft, Ingram's going to almost certainly going to end up a top 5-10 pick unless regardless of what happens the rest of the year b/c he just has so much more upside almost everyone who'll be declaring this season. Grayson, by contrast, has to play like a superstar just to get into the top 15-20 IMO. I think Grayson will end up having a good season, declaring, and getting drafted in the 17-25 range. However, his stock is pretty volatile and much more like Tyus Jones than Ingram. Regardless of what Grayson does, there are going to be a lot of people who have questions about Grayson's ceiling.

Last edited:
I assume Grayson will leave b/c most of our guys seem to be leaving these days when they have a chance to make the jump to the NBA. With that said, as much as I like Grayson on this level, I really have not seen much to suggest that he's currently viewed as a potential lottery pick; let alone a lottery pick prospect on the level of Booker. The very big difference between Grayson and Booker is that Booker has prototypical NBA size for the 2 guard position (about 6'6 in shoes, 6'9 wingspan, and should grow into about 215) -- whereas Grayson is a bit undersized at the 2 (probably around 6'4 with a 6'6 wingspan and weighs only about 190). Nearly every projection I've seen to date suggests that Grayson's in the early 20s at best and, IMO, he'd clearly have to continue this level of production through the ACC season to catapult himself into the lottery conversation. Also, it's not an insignificant fact to NBA folks that Grayson's production is coming as a soph. -- not as a freshman.

Regardless of how BI plays this season, he's a vastly superior NBA prospect b/c he's got NBA dimensions / skill-level and clearly has a built-in explanation for any struggles he does have (i.e., weight). In a weak draft, Ingram's going to almost certainly going to end up a top 5-10 pick unless regardless of what happens the rest of the year b/c he just has so much more upside almost everyone who'll be declaring this season. Grayson, by contrast, has to play like a superstar just to get into the top 15-20 IMO. I think Grayson will end up having a good season, declaring, and getting drafted in the 17-25 range. However, his stock is pretty volatile and much more like Tyus Jones than Ingram. Regardless of what Grayson does, there are going to be a lot of people who have questions about Grayson's ceiling.

Oh for sure. They can have all the questions they want, but he'll have a guaranteed contract should he enter. I can see one of two things occurring, he's either going to straight up leave, or he'll pull a Kyle and Mase and enter with the option to pull out. If he doesn't go now, I think he'll stay 4. But the current plan is to lose Grayson and Brandon.

Regardless, Frank Jackson is coming to Duke to play and he'll be hard to keep out.

Great post. I agree with everything you said except that Grayson will leave. I don't think its a forgone conclusion at all, even with an all-american award. For some reason I just have this feeling that he will stay through graduation (3 years). Don't know why I think that, its probably just pure, irresponsible speculation.

OH. MY!!!!!!!!!

That kid will be on the court

That's the forgotten recruit Tarhole nation ;) ;) ;)

I would pay good money to be at practice next year just to see our backcourt go at each other to earn pt. The competition is gonna be insane

This kid and Jayson Tatum on the wings is going to be offensive combo on one team in college in a long time. I thinking old school like Fat Lever and Alex English type numbers atleast I hope with more defense.

I'm going to make a bold prediction. I think Frank Jackson will be the best all around guard we've had in some time. The explosiveness and scoring style of J Will with the size and intangibles of Scheyer.

He'll play over Thornton in my opinion. He plays with a winners attitude. This kid scores. He's determined, explosive and relentless in a game.

He'll play over Thornton in my opinion. He plays with a winners attitude. This kid scores. He's determined, explosive and relentless in a game.

Very unlikely IMO. On next year's team, the role of the PG will be to play defense and facilitate the offense around the true stars of our team -- Tatum and Giles. Thornton's a much better true PG than Frank, and I've seen many write about how Jackon's far more of a 2 than a true PG -- despite having the body and ballhandling of a PG. I think being a PG is partly a mentality, and I don't think Frank is hardwired that way. He's a scorer first and foremost.

Also, I'd add that when the two were in the same class -- Thornton was always ranked ahead of Jackson. And, in fact, the margin was quite larger for much of their careers. Not sure many people who've seen them play in similar settings have come away thinking Jackson is better. Jackson's a nice player who's shown tremendous growth against high-level AAU competition. But those video appear to be mostly from high school or non-major AAU tournaments. It's very poor competition. The explosiveness is real, but as we saw with Semi (and, to be clear, I think he's better than Semi), there's a big gulf between what an elite kid looks against bad high school competition versus what they'll do at this level.

Thornton's been a bit hit or miss at times, but I really like his promise. Once he adds on some weight and strength, I think he's going to emerge as a star. I really love his skill-level and ballhandling and like how he's been the most productive in front of the biggest lights and against the best competition. A decent 7 pt., 3 assist performance against UK when he was thrust out there after Grayson's quasi-meltdown, 19 pts. & 4 assists against VCU on 7 of 11 shooting, 14 pts. & 2 assists against G-Town on 3 of 6 shooting, and 12 pts & 1 assists against IU on 4 of 5 shooting. If you really look at Thornton's numbers this year, his problems haven't been against the good teams. It's been against the bad teams. 1 of 8 against Siena, 2 of 9 against Bryant, 1 of 9 against Utah State. I view that as more of a maturity issue (i.e., not sure to bringing it every day) than an ability issue.

And not to mention that Thornton's going to have a year's worth of college experience when Frank shows up.

Last edited:
I think frank attack, is kind of a Grayson Allen in the sense that he does not get the pub that Harry and Jayson gets but he will be a force to be reckoned with before the season is over. He has that type of talent. No one notices because he plays out west and the competition level not as good. Once he gets to campus , and the team starts to practice, we will all know this young man is foreal. May take him three years or maybe one year but he will definitely leave a mark. But focused on this year and this team. Let's go duke.

Frank puts me in the mind of myself and my game....oh wait no he doesn't :)

It'll be nice to have someone like this as the first or second guy off the bench next year!

Frank has closed the gap on Derryck some, but Derryck should be playing over him and should be much improved next season. I know you're not high on Derryck this year, Show, but he will be a key cog to our season. The kid has some serious ability and once he gets comfortable hunting his offense, he'll shine.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
I think Jackson will get plenty of time and even get minutes at the 2. I can see he and Thornton in the back court at the same time.

His skill set is pretty unique. For a PG with that athleticism it will be awesome to see what he can do. Really a great combo guard.

But, he can also dish the ball. I don't think it's a guarantee that Thornton will be head and shoulders above him. It will be some very competitive practices I suspect. Thornton is smooth with the ball and looks to have better handle, but otherwise I think Jackson is better at other parts of the game.

Plus that intensity he brings will really be loved at Duke!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT