ADVERTISEMENT

Fifth year eligibility

topps coach

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
Lexington sc
Did NCAA give players another year of eligibility due to Covid.If so that means Goldwire could return next year

This means Joey Baker will have a chance to play 5 seasons.. I’m sure he’s happy about that, considering he’s well into his Jr. season and has just now played about as many games (38) as he would have in a normal freshman season.

Reactions: christophero
If Goldwire stays a 5th year, could he break the record for most games played at Duke? If we don’t get any more canceled games this season and a normal season next year?

I know nothing about Jordan Goldwire's future plans, what his major is, or whether he has aspirations to play overseas or for that matter go into business. I will say, that I have great pride in the way he has matured and his game has improved in 4 years. It is exactly what we have been missing in the OAD era, a guy who worked hard and is now a coach on the floor.

I am sure the coaches would LOVE to have him back for a 5th year. He would have the chance to get a graduate degree (assuming he is on schedule to graduate this year), and an audition toward starting a coaching career, if he is interested in that.

Whatever he decides to do, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for what he has done for the Duke program.

I know nothing about Jordan Goldwire's future plans, what his major is, or whether he has aspirations to play overseas or for that matter go into business. I will say, that I have great pride in the way he has matured and his game has improved in 4 years. It is exactly what we have been missing in the OAD era, a guy who worked hard and is now a coach on the floor.

I am sure the coaches would LOVE to have him back for a 5th year. He would have the chance to get a graduate degree (assuming he is on schedule to graduate this year), and an audition toward starting a coaching career, if he is interested in that.

Whatever he decides to do, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for what he has done for the Duke program.

For sure. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
If we plan on getting Keels then someone has to go. AJ and Paolo are locks to start. Then Baldwin and Keels may come.

If Steward stays, Keels doesn't come. that's how it's always been. Brand leaves Boozer comes. McRoberts leaves, Singler comes. I know Keels is good but I'd be happy to keep Steward instead.

I think if one of Baker or steward leave then Duke has a shot at Keels. Not so sure Baldwin will come just yet.

Do freshman at Duke who score 20 points in multiple games come back for a sophomore season? I think DJ is a late first, early second round pick. I'm hoping Roach and Goldwire return.

If Goldwire stays a 5th year, could he break the record for most games played at Duke? If we don’t get any more canceled games this season and a normal season next year?
Through the 7 games we’ve played this season Goldwire has played 99 career games at Duke. If/when the 2 ACC games that were postponed get rescheduled and we don’t have to cancel anymore games then we’ll play 24 regular season games this season. So if he plays in every remaining regular season game including the 2 that have been postponed then he’ll end the regular season with 116 career games played. So if he comes back next season and depending on how many games he plays next season then he could end up playing in the most games as a Duke player at Duke.

Last edited:
Does that mean that the pre season ACC player of the year for 2020-2021 will be back next? OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
Do freshman at Duke who score 20 points in multiple games come back for a sophomore season? I think DJ is a late first, early second round pick. I'm hoping Roach and Goldwire return.
He’s listed at 6’2” which means he’s probably 6’1” by NBA height (they now measure without shoes) and 160 something pounds.. I think he’s too inconsistent to be drafted right now.. if he was 6’4” 195lbs he would be a 2nd rounder though..

As was said upthread, it's not the draft position, it's how badly the player wants to leave college and start his pro career, at whatever level it is. Duval apparently didn't like college and he was leaving no matter what.

As was said upthread, it's not the draft position, it's how badly the player wants to leave college and start his pro career, at whatever level it is. Duval apparently didn't like college and he was leaving no matter what.

I agree. It doesn't matter if they are ready or not or what advice they get if they want to they are going to declare. That's one reason I'm ready for the players to be able to declare in high school. Of course we will not be able to see the best in college but it's going to still be college basketball and we are still going to be college bb fans. The best coaches will still get the best players left and we will love it. OFCQ

He’s listed at 6’2” which means he’s probably 6’1” by NBA height (they now measure without shoes) and 160 something pounds.. I think he’s too inconsistent to be drafted right now.. if he was 6’4” 195lbs he would be a 2nd rounder though..
I hear you, believe me. But imo the NBA looks 2-3 years down the road with young players. If Steward will likely bust out his second year and then be draftable, a team will take a shot at him this year for the potential. I hope he stays.

I hear you, believe me. But imo the NBA looks 2-3 years down the road with young players. If Steward will likely bust out his second year and then be draftable, a team will take a shot at him this year for the potential. I hope he stays.
I feel you on that. His weight bothers me more than his height. He’s going to have to be more consistent though, regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT