ADVERTISEMENT

Excuses on THR

GTHC_ GTH!

All American
Oct 5, 2011
I posted the poll yesterday about the excuses on THR. Here is the recap.

One I didn't even think about adding to the poll was the clock manager. According to a thread over there, this was robbery and the clock operator did a terrible job and it should be expected at Cameron.

ANd of course the refs. They didn't call a foul on Winslow on Tyus' tying shot. Winslow shoved Paige into the second row and no call. They gave Duke 3 timeouts after Duke didn't have any left to check the clock and twice with Carolina going to shoot free throws.

No mention of just heart by Tyus and Duke.

I hadn't went there in ages. And they didn't let me down. Cook held Paige around the waist the whole game. They are the worst fan base I have ever seen. They never lose there is always an excuse of why it was taken away from them. The best was.Duke can do whatever they want.win as many games as they want. . They will NEVER be the program that unc is. Funny stuff. Now I know why I don't go there

My father in law, a UK fan, immediately started talking about the on-call on Winslow and how bad the refs were in Duke's favor. Funny because I've watched several UK games with him this season and he somehow never sees when UK gets away with things.

Yes, haha. I haven't gone over there, but I assume there isn't much discussion of the fact that the game really only turned when a highly limited Okafor returned to the game on a bad ankle -- and was basically a non-factor offensively, a significant liability defensively (particularly in transition), and incapable of rebounding balls that weren't directly in his area (no spring or quickness at all). UNC clearly played well, but I don't think we would have found ourselves down 10 in the 2nd half if Okafor was remotely healthy. It was really striking to see how limited he was on the boards -- where he couldn't seem to get to any of the balls he normally reaches.

And the refs discussion is just silly. The only points UNC did score in the final 1.5 minutes of the 2nd half were Brice Johnson's FTs after a clean block by Winslow -- which should have been called a jump ball or a travel.

I'm not saying the refs were perfect. But, as they've been all season, I think they were about as poor as they've been all season. We just cared more about what they were doing last night b/c it was a big game that came down to a couple possessions.
This post was edited on 2/19 9:48 AM by aah555

Rule of thumb: if any team playing UNC wins by anything less than 30, it's on the refs. And even then it's open to debate. You have to absolutely demolish UNC from start to finish for Heel fans to admit they simply lost. .

This post was edited on 2/19 10:03 AM by Neners

For the second time in four years UNC gave a game away to Duke, with a double-digit lead in the final minutes....but it's the refs fault? Honestly, would anyone expect anything less from them? That's the reason I love them so much.

As Ahh pointed out, Jahlil could hardly move and UNC wasn't void of a call or two down the stretch too. If you want to examine each and every trip down the floor you could have found fouls last night. It was a physical game. We've become accustomed to Jahlil getting pushed around every single game. Joel James played aggressive last night and I don't blame him....the refs were letting both teams play.

The bottom line is this....if UNC takes care of the things in their control the last two minutes probably don't even matter. They missed FTs, took poor shots, and had very costly turnovers.

But most importantly, we had Tyus on our team. They didn't.

Now they say it don't matter cuz they can't beat kentucky???? Whaaaaaa?! Lol what's that have to do with the game? Wouldn't they be better off saying WOW that's the best team we've played all year and we went to OT with them... Therefore they would be a GREAT team. Guess they can't think enough to say something like that. I kinda expect to hear them say "let's play football"

756 games lost because of poor officiating. I actually think they believe the refs cost the game every time the lose. OFC

My favorite is that UNC is better than they think because they went to overtime with a legit top 4 team and NC contender followed by.....Dukes not as good as we thought and not a threat for the NC......so uh....which is it?

Originally posted by K-oach Q:
My favorite is that UNC is better than they think because they went to overtime with a legit top 4 team and NC contender followed by.....Dukes not as good as we thought and not a threat for the NC......so uh....which is it?
UNC logic at its finest.

Originally posted by K-oach Q:
Yeah, that doesn't even make sense....but considering the folks it's coming from and the logic they use it makes total sense if you know them.

For them to think we should be worried about our team is kind of funny. We know we didn't play well last night. And you know what, I don't have an issue acknowledging that we probably shouldn't have won last night. That's basketball. And we do have issues and we could get upset in the second round again....but this Duke team is pretty damn good, and I'm pretty damn proud they found a way to win the game.

We've won five in a row...and four of those have come against pretty good teams. They've lost four of five to good teams....and two of them have been blowouts. Maybe I'm being biased, but I like our situation a lot more right now.

First off DJ, we've won 6 in a row... that only loss being the one at ND that we gave away. But, on that same note we probably stole two, so it evens out in our favor.

But you have to understand that 18-8 is better than 23-3, because, well, the five more losses and five less wins is because of refs giving duke wins and unc losses. in all 5 instances. and the clock guy. plus we're going to lose in the first round for the 3rd straight year. (this is something they've said).

Let me ask you, does losing in the first round suck? YEP. Does losing in the 2nd round suck too? YEP. IS there really any freaking difference? NOPE. you're both gone in the first weekend, so not sure what they're really hanging their hat on.

According to a few, Cook's defense was only good because the refs let him hold Paige the game.

Originally posted by timo0402:
First off DJ, we've won 6 in a row... that only loss being the one at ND that we gave away. But, on that same note we probably stole two, so it evens out in our favor.

But you have to understand that 18-8 is better than 23-3, because, well, the five more losses and five less wins is because of refs giving duke wins and unc losses. in all 5 instances. and the clock guy. plus we're going to lose in the first round for the 3rd straight year. (this is something they've said).

Let me ask you, does losing in the first round suck? YEP. Does losing in the 2nd round suck too? YEP. IS there really any freaking difference? NOPE. you're both gone in the first weekend, so not sure what they're really hanging their hat on.
UNC fans are without hope. I'd rather lose in the first round of the NCAA than be the NIT runner up. When was the last time Duke went to the NIT? How about UNC?

Every time a UNC or KY fan responds with that nonsense, I just say "Robert Morris" or ask UNC fans what tournament UNC played in the last time Duke won the national championship. They shut up real quick.

I just went over there to read that nonsense, and it's not all of them, just a few of their all-stars. this one happened to be Steat.

We should be worried about how we played and we'll lose in the first round. But they should be encouraged going forward because of how they played is pretty much how he summed it up.

That reminds me of the fans that chant "overrated" and then storm the court. Great logic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT