ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS LOUISVILLE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

No kidding? Thank you Captain Obvious, and it’s a pretty known concern. It’s not like saying the Earth is flat.

I would contend that it's not a very well-grounded statement. Sure, we shoot awful from deep, nobody is impressed when you shoot under 32%. But our 3-point field goal defense is 29.5%. You were making the same tired argument that we've heard all season long. And what you forget in the midst of your emotional distress, is there are many phases of basketball. Duke bet UVA at home shooting 2 for 14 from three. Sure, we can lose on a poor shooting night, but so can anyone. I would note that Duke shoots 58.5% from the field on two-point shots, which is #3 in the country.

You can't just beat Duke by out-shooting us. You have to have limit transition points, you have to rebound, you have to contain Zion and RJ, you have to deal with Tre Jones and a host of relentless ball pressure. It's not a guarantee that we'll win the title, or even make it to the FF. But, we are the favorite - and deservedly so. Shooting aside, there are no deficiencies on this team. We have a much, much higher margin for error with all the areas we excel in.

#1 in blocks per game
#1 in block percentage
#3 in steals per game
#1 in steals per possession
#9 in field goal percentage defense
#13 in 3-pt field goal percentage defense

#16 in Field Goal Percentage
#15 in Rebounding Margin
#2 in scoring margin (Gonzaga, which obviously doesn't have a comparable schedule)
#27 in turnover margin
#3 in transition points

#3 in KenPom Adj Offensive Efficiency Margin
#4 in KenPom Adj Defensive Efficiency Margin

So yes, when you're worried about our title hopes in the middle of a road game that sees us down by 20+ points, I might think you're being a little over dramatic. Especially considering we've already beaten more elite teams than anyone else in the country.

So for the record, I was more having fun with this. It's easy to overreact when you're filled with negative emotions. Wasn't trying to be douchey, even though it may have come off like that. Just about everyone in the country plays like crap at times, especially on the road. Michigan, for example, had two 20+ point losses last year. Sometimes teams are just off.

Glad we were able to correct our mistakes, but I think it's kind of amusing to see how easily we can lose hope. All is not lost. We are the best team in the country, IMO. We very well might lose another game or two, but I like our chances going forward.

I didn’t take it personal, nor did I think it was douchey.

I would contend that it's not a very well-grounded statement. Sure, we shoot awful from deep, nobody is impressed when you shoot under 32%. But our 3-point field goal defense is 29.5%. You were making the same tired argument that we've heard all season long. And what you forget in the midst of your emotional distress, is there are many phases of basketball. Duke bet UVA at home shooting 2 for 14 from three. Sure, we can lose on a poor shooting night, but so can anyone. I would note that Duke shoots 58.5% from the field on two-point shots, which is #3 in the country.

You can't just beat Duke by out-shooting us. You have to have limit transition points, you have to rebound, you have to contain Zion and RJ, you have to deal with Tre Jones and a host of relentless ball pressure. It's not a guarantee that we'll win the title, or even make it to the FF. But, we are the favorite - and deservedly so. Shooting aside, there are no deficiencies on this team. We have a much, much higher margin for error with all the areas we excel in.

#1 in blocks per game
#1 in block percentage
#3 in steals per game
#1 in steals per possession
#9 in field goal percentage defense
#13 in 3-pt field goal percentage defense

#16 in Field Goal Percentage
#15 in Rebounding Margin
#2 in scoring margin (Gonzaga, which obviously doesn't have a comparable schedule)
#27 in turnover margin
#3 in transition points

#3 in KenPom Adj Offensive Efficiency Margin
#4 in KenPom Adj Defensive Efficiency Margin

So yes, when you're worried about our title hopes in the middle of a road game that sees us down by 20+ points, I might think you're being a little over dramatic. Especially considering we've already beaten more elite teams than anyone else in the country.

294th In 3pt %
272nd In FT %

(But those don’t matter)

Again, the irony of you abusing the word dramatic when you have mental health challenges being around other fans; it’s a beautiful example so, thank you.

Now, I’ve stated and questioned shortcomings with long-range shooting during wins as well, but since you selectively use examples, it escaped your post. I’m glad you cited all of those well known stats, but it still ignores that overall, you can pack it in against Duke and make them struggle with jump shots. Will that work 6 games, well 4 really with pure talent mismatches in games 1 and 2)? Time will tell, but this isn’t an exceptional shooting team by any means, even factoring in their ability to get to the rack the first 15-17 games. It’s gone down some lately since teams have packed it in (outside of pressuring D opening up the fast break chances).

So, it’s a fair question, and only tired because you see it that way, even considering it’s asked quite regularly by haters and even those who are neutral on Duke (at least by appearance). Maybe the experts have it wrong though, and they should hire you giving they can provide psychotropic therapy to get that underlying, self-admitted anger in order.

Last edited:
I just can't believe it still:
The last 9 minutes of the game paced to 40 minutes would have been a 155-36 win. Stupid, but fun to imagine. 35 points in 9 minutes. People keep saying that it was more of a Louisville collapse than it was a Duke comeback. And they did shoot themselves in the foot a lot. But Duke still had to make their shots and create turnovers. 35-10 in 9 minutes is not just one team falling apart, it is the other team tearing them apart.

The last 9 minutes of the game paced to 40 minutes would have been a 155-36 win. Stupid, but fun to imagine. 35 points in 9 minutes. People keep saying that it was more of a Louisville collapse than it was a Duke comeback. And they did shoot themselves in the foot a lot. But Duke still had to make their shots and create turnovers. 35-10 in 9 minutes is not just one team falling apart, it is the other team tearing them apart.
So true Duke 301. I just watched SportsCenter and they mentioned something I didn't even think about. They mentioned how much confidence K has in Reddish to come up with the last shot against FSU and realized last night games, the last play had Cam with the ball in his hands again. That's why he's the GOAT and his players love him. The confidence he gives the guys is unmatched.

You have @skysdad and @OldasdirtDevil senior game from 1017?!?!?

I hope you two know I’m just messing around with the age cracks. If you’re ever offended by it tell me to shut up. I just know you two poke fun at your OFC status so I thought it was fair game,

I would guess with the invention of the OFC, they are ok with it!!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

I hope you two know I’m just messing around with the age cracks. If you’re ever offended by it tell me to shut up. I just know you two poke fun at your OFC status so I thought it was fair game,

Ha! Even after my first response, I still didn't notice the mistake you were pointing out!!

And I swear I haven't had a drop!!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

Senior game, FTB? I was the original one and done back in the year 1017...where do you think that OAD initialism came from?:D

I'm old, and as I told ISPY today, I'm proud of it (might as well be , the only way to stop it is to die:p)...BUT I'm not in the least offended at age jokes...I make them all the time...mostly about myself. If you could hear the jokes between my wife and me about our age, her stroke, my prostate, things I won't even mention on here, you'd probably be horrified...but we know a sense of humor is one of the most important qualities you can have...especially when stuff goes wrong. Now don't get me wrong, sickness and dying isn't a laughing matter, but we try to find the lighter side, if possible.

So fire away, I love a good laugh, and feel like I can give as well as take. The joking on DI is one of my favorite things...without it I doubt seriously I would have been around all these years.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT