ADVERTISEMENT

Duke football 2018 news

okay here we go. more info out. he plays both dt and og. at the opening in charlotte he impressed as a dl guy. got a shout out as a head turner on the dl. his measurements there were 6'1'' 331lbs. maybe he is bound for the dline? no matter what he is a big trench guy for us.

Reactions: hart2chesson
okay here we go. more info out. he plays both dt and og. at the opening in charlotte he impressed as a dl guy. got a shout out as a head turner on the dl. his measurements there were 6'1'' 331lbs. maybe he is bound for the dline? no matter what he is a big trench guy for us.

I LIKE!! Mr. Versatility!!!! OFC

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
bang bang again.
maurice mcintyre 6'3'' 285 og from jville commits
was hurt for much of his junior year but had a good showing a few weeks ago at the opening in charlotte. was at duke this weekend and impressed.
Surf has the early signing period for Football been approved?

vegas thinks duke wont win more than 4 games. I'm definitely making that bet when i go this week

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
vegas thinks duke wont win more than 4 games. I'm definitely making that bet when i go this week

The vegas line I saw has it at 5 max. Its going to be tough....IMO, we must be 2-1 at worse headed to UNC-abysmal year otherwise

so on 247 maurice did an interview and said he was recruited as a guard. a little surprising to me but time will tell.
also scout has as a 3 star and rivals has him at 5.4
update espn comes in at 76

Last edited:
bang bang last night.
nate thompson 6' 2'' safety from sanford commits
88 on 247 high 3 star on scout 4 star 5.8 on rivals espn at 76
offers include south carolina, va tech, nc state, purdue, ucf, wake, appy and charlotte
i like that after 0 players last year that duke is getting nc kids this year. this now makes 5. this is how you start to build a local fan base.

Last edited:
bang bang saturday afternoon
mataeo durant 6' 183 lb rb from south carolina commits.
3 star on all boards.
offers from big running schools like ga tech, miss state, va tech, west va and wake.
ps for some reason i cant sign into rivals from my cell phone so sorry for the delay

Great news. Sounds like a pretty big (size) running back.

Keep up the great work Surf.

Durant a big addition....Surf what do you make of the shuffle at back-up qb, Harris moving ahead on the depth chart to behind Jones and Boehme #3??

Last edited:
okay not a lot happening right now so just some idle thoughts while i have time on my hands. duke media guide just came out. some interesting tidbits in it.
it is now confirmed, i think we all knew tariq shabazz was done but also now zach morris is also listed as an undergrad assistant and not as players. injuries suck!
our dline is getting larger these days which has been way overdue and one of the few knocks on cut. no longer are trying to grow linebackers into ends and ends into dts.
( sizes per the guide)
dt
edgar cerenord 6'1'' 300
quaven ferguson 6'2'' 305
trevon mcswain 6'6'' 275
mike ramsay 6'2'' 290 (the only senior)
axel nyembwe 6'2'' 320
derrick tangelo 6'2'' 305
these last two are freshman and huge.
de
tre hornbuckle 6'4'' 255
terrell lucas 6'3'' 235
twanza mugala 6'3'' 240
chidi okonya 6'6'' 225
victor dimukeje 6'2'' 260
drew jordan 6'2'' 255
ben frye 6'3'' 255
chris rumph 6'3''220
very very young group but probably as talented as we have had. kinda wonder to myself if they might not try to grow victor or ben into a dt. both have the frame to do it and would not have to put on much weight.

Surfdevil thanks for all you do keeping up with Duke football. Wish you would post a little about B.B. OFC

just got back from a light night of bar hopping in downtown wilmington (yes i know it is early but at my age you go out after work not late night). thought i would try to keep the conversation going. so after going from site to site it seems the general thought is that this class has grown and we are looking to add 4 to 6 more kids. think we want at least one more ol and two dl. we also seem to be waiting on a few "best" available guys. there does seem to be a nod to the fact that we missed on a class or two of offensive line guys. several of our upper class guys will not see the field and may move on after their fourth year. so here are who i think we would want and are interested in
kevin austin wr 4 star on everyboard. we are on his short list. huge get if happens
alim mcneil dt 4 star everywhere. huge local kid is a need position. tough get but.....
keldron smith cb absolute stud. plays two sports so never camps therefor not rated as high as his offers.. great get if it happens and #1 want
nicholas petit-frere ot 4 star everywhere dont think it happens but we are still in it
thomas booker sde 4 star most boards would be a huge get. i dont think so but...
jovaughn gwyn og solid kid out of charlotte. would be a pile driver
jarrett patterson ot another solid tackle who we made final grouping. would like
marcellus earlington sde great size and ability in a need position
elijah brown dt another solid big hoss out of charlotte. would love to get another nc kid
james mitchell te really good kid out of va. seems we have a shot here but the dark side of va tech is also strong with this one
also maybe some ole miss kids
blaine scott ot seems that wva is leading in this one
tre nixon wr we wanted him bad a year ago. does he transfer?

so we are looking at these kids. say we go for the large number of 6 who do you want?

Surf what do you make of the switch on the depth chart at qb? Harris to back-up and Boehme to 3rd string....Came as a surprise-

OFC

i think that there may be many things at play with the qb situation. my thinking is that this is a move for the future. we know what parker brings plus he is a senior. harris was by all reports very good in the spring practice sessions. we all want daniel to take the next step and become a top flight qb and if he does then who knows. did any of us think mitch was going to be a top pick in the draft last year at the start of the season? i think cut and the staff want to get harris as many reps and put him in as many game type situations as they can so if (and this is my thought and no inside info here) and i repeat if daniel explodes on the scene and the draft becomes an option then we have a qb who at least has 2nd team reps under his belt. of course we all want daniel to stick around for at least one more year and preferably two but if he does have that great season we all hope he does and climbs that draft board well then more power to him. this is a best case thought. but if he were to leave and parker had taken all the second team snaps and since he is gone we would really be starting over. i dont think the staff want to let that happen.

Reactions: hart2chesson
i think that there may be many things at play with the qb situation. my thinking is that this is a move for the future. we know what parker brings plus he is a senior. harris was by all reports very good in the spring practice sessions. we all want daniel to take the next step and become a top flight qb and if he does then who knows. did any of us think mitch was going to be a top pick in the draft last year at the start of the season? i think cut and the staff want to get harris as many reps and put him in as many game type situations as they can so if (and this is my thought and no inside info here) and i repeat if daniel explodes on the scene and the draft becomes an option then we have a qb who at least has 2nd team reps under his belt. of course we all want daniel to stick around for at least one more year and preferably two but if he does have that great season we all hope he does and climbs that draft board well then more power to him. this is a best case thought. but if he were to leave and parker had taken all the second team snaps and since he is gone we would really be starting over. i dont think the staff want to let that happen.

A very thoughtful and logical post. I certainly cannot disagree IN ANY WAY w/your hypothesis Surf. I was simply shocked because Parker has been very loyal, nearly brought us back vs UVA in a spectacular 2nd half on the road in '15 and clearly has more experience.

Daniel is THE MAN, no question and hope we can get him healthy this year. However Cut could have used Boehme EARLY last season in Daniel's struggles early, and perhaps we win one or two more. I recall Cut taking a Chronicle reporter's head off about not inserting Parker after the UVA loss at home last year. I hope Parker didnt fall out of favor for some other reason.... OFC

yeah i really wish he had played parker early in some situations last year also. that uva game was one that should have happened. i kinda thought he might transfer out and play his senior year somewhere else but he choose to stay so i hope he gets some burn.
ps seems mark gilbert is suspended for the first 3 games this year. per ben humphrey in his interview the other day. anyone have any info?

yeah i really wish he had played parker early in some situations last year also. that uva game was one that should have happened. i kinda thought he might transfer out and play his senior year somewhere else but he choose to stay so i hope he gets some burn.
ps seems mark gilbert is suspended for the first 3 games this year. per ben humphrey in his interview the other day. anyone have any info?

No info but thx for tip- you are usually on target. Gilbert contributed some as frosh last yr, starting for the injured Borders vs UNC. Not good news.

OFC

Surf, Gilbert had a full practice today is not hurt, but understand he's listed as RESERVE CB on Duke depth chart. All I can learn so far is "nothing has been determined for 1st game." May or may not be more to it

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Surf, just want to say that I appreciate the updates. Great stuff when it's hard for some of us to get the info. Keep up the great work.

Surf I agree please keep us updated my friend!!!
#LoveMyDukeFootball

OFC

little bit of news
duke has announced a walk on for this year that is interesting.
mason williams, an all ivy league cb is coming to duke. only a sophmore last year, he had 6 interceptions and 47 tackles. he will be a junior for us. wanted to move up in class and wont cost us a scholly..unless he earns one for his senior year. hope he does.
also jarrett patterson ot is announcing sunday. between us and tcu

Reactions: dbav
little bit of news
duke has announced a walk on for this year that is interesting.
mason williams, an all ivy league cb is coming to duke. only a sophmore last year, he had 6 interceptions and 47 tackles. he will be a junior for us. wanted to move up in class and wont cost us a scholly..unless he earns one for his senior year. hope he does.
also jarrett patterson ot is announcing sunday. between us and tcu

Is Mason eligible now Surf???? OFC

Which Ivy did he play for? I think I missed that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT