ADVERTISEMENT

Duke football 2018 news

Coach Cut has been ranked the 16th best college football coach in the country by NewArena. Awesome. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
Surf, Cut says he's concerned about our "conditioning" at this point. Of course theres plenty of time to turn that around, but obviously it came mean difference in wins and losses, especially in 4th qtr. Hope this improves...OFC

Our wideout w/probably the best upside, Scott Bracey is hobbled somewhat by a strained leg muscle. Need this guy well- missed all of last yr w/hamstring injury...

OFC

also our best freshman ol will taylor popped his knee and had season ending surgery. this is the kid who was in the under armor all american game and got voted captain. was probably going to red shirt this year since we are solid at center but now he misses out on a year of practicing and drills. dammit

also our best freshman ol will taylor popped his knee and had season ending surgery. this is the kid who was in the under armor all american game and got voted captain. was probably going to red shirt this year since we are solid at center but now he misses out on a year of practicing and drills. dammit

Not a good start, and Cut is cracking the whip somewhat I hear as well because our conditioning is not where it should be. OFC

As someone that has popped both knees (one of them twice), I cringe reading that.

Reactions: hart2chesson
****Full disclosure...I cheer for both programs****

After thinking it would be a bit of a boring, rubber stamp verbal commitment to Notre Dame, those in the know are saying that the wind is now blowing towards Durham in the Kevin Austin sweepstakes.

Most national recruiting experts still have him picking ND. However, what is most telling to me is that a pair of Irish insiders have it foggy, with one going so far as to say that he has heard the term "surprise" associated with the current leader.

The 247 Crystal ball is of course 94 percent Notre Dame....But, I think we learned from the Kevin Knox situation that nothing is ever as automatic as it appears on paper.

If you are a Blue Devil football fan, my gut has me thinking you go to bed very happy tomorrow night.

Last edited:
think it really doesnt matter who he says friday. both schools will be going after him till the end. if duke has a strong year and nd struggles and brian kelly implodes then i think he ends up at duke. if duke struggles and nd has a good year i think he ends up there. think this one goes till he signs the paper. would be a huge get for duke where he would just be another cog in the factory at nd.

^Very good assessment of recruiting in general.

Even though I 100 percent concur that the only thing that matter is the signature in February, I just like the idea of having the verbal because if nothing else, it means we probably have the lead heading into signing day.

I think it better to have to lose the guy then it is to have to try to win him.

Of course, I've seen enough flips to know that all I probably doing is giving myself false confidence by putting any significance into the verbal.

Looks like I was dead wrong about the Austin announcement this afternoon.

However, as Surf eloquently and accurately stated, the race is not over until February signing day.

yeah he tried to manufacture some suspense by suggesting a surprise but all the insiders knew.
on to better news. coach cut in his conference call the other day had some good tidbits on our youth movement on the defensive front.
drew jordan and ben frye have been very noticeable on the field. both are at 255 lbs which is not bad for frosh de
victor nyembwe and chris rumph have shown ability at de. i think/hope at least one of these guys redshirts (along with chidi okonya who is struggling with a foot injury and really really needs to add weight)
axel nyembwe and derrick tangelo have size and force that they havent had at dt. need to work on conditioning but show some promise. i think that after a year of lifting and conditioning these two will be impact players for us.not surprising that a 300lb and 325lb frosh need conditioning.
we have four upperclassmen on the dline and they are two deep at dt. ramsay and mcswain being the starters with cerenord and ferguson backing them up
our de starters right now are tre hornbuckle and twazanga mugala with terrell lucas pushing them and danny doyle getting some time
the only senior in the front seven is ramsay.

okay so duke had its first scrimmage last night ao here are some tidbits
brandon hill banged up and did not dress
terrell lucas had a pulled muscle and did not dress
bryon fields could have but did not dress
chidi okonya did not dress due to foot injury
those are okay injuries that all teams have to deal with
the big news was quavon ferguson being on crutches and per cut out for a while. ouch!
on the field news
daniel jones was good and in control. the receivers however dropped six or seven balls that were put right on their hands. rahming dropped a beautiful bomb that dropped right in the bread box.
shawn wilson looked very good. marvin hubbard is lightning fast.
oline was good. the big surprise was jaylen miller playing at center with 2nd and 3rd team
defense looked much better. secondary was better and making the receivers work hard (which might explain some of the drops)
drew jordan is very quick at the snap of the ball
overall a good performance. they really havent been hard at it because it has been exam time. cut in his after scrimmage speech said this will be a big week for the team because they will be able to have regular practice schedual and is looking for improvement

okay so duke had its first scrimmage last night ao here are some tidbits
brandon hill banged up and did not dress
terrell lucas had a pulled muscle and did not dress
bryon fields could have but did not dress
chidi okonya did not dress due to foot injury
those are okay injuries that all teams have to deal with
the big news was quavon ferguson being on crutches and per cut out for a while. ouch!
on the field news
daniel jones was good and in control. the receivers however dropped six or seven balls that were put right on their hands. rahming dropped a beautiful bomb that dropped right in the bread box.
shawn wilson looked very good. marvin hubbard is lightning fast.
oline was good. the big surprise was jaylen miller playing at center with 2nd and 3rd team
defense looked much better. secondary was better and making the receivers work hard (which might explain some of the drops)
drew jordan is very quick at the snap of the ball
overall a good performance. they really havent been hard at it because it has been exam time. cut in his after scrimmage speech said this will be a big week for the team because they will be able to have regular practice schedual and is looking for improvement

Nice job surf, AS ALWAYS.... Great the running game looked so good and excited about the physicality of the defense. As you noted, the number of dropped balls was alarming, and clearly something we need to correct- Cut said Chris Katrenick (likely RS I assume) had number of drops as well. Harris played some reps at qb (Jones backup):"nothing special, nothing awful" according to Steve Wiseman. Sounds like Boehme is a mere afterthought at back-up, dont know if he even had any reps.

The passing numbers sounded like the dink-doink-dunk pass to the boundary was again popular, but again enthused about running game. We did hit a couple of 40+ fgs which was encouraging to say least. OFC

as to the kicking game austin parker handled the kickoffs and boots them far. he has that job locked down. he did miss his fg attempt wide right. a j reed missed his wide left. the best looking kicker was the walk on holmquist who did not miss.
did not mention but hubbard did break off a long td rush against the 2nd defense. he did fumble a kick off return however so stuff he can be coached up on
josh blackwell and jordan hayes both had interceptions

Great info guys... I have said it all along, until we establish a true playmaker at WR, our offensive play calling will remain the same. We desperately need a big time physical WR to compliment TJ.

Great info guys... I have said it all along, until we establish a true playmaker at WR, our offensive play calling will remain the same. We desperately need a big time physical WR to compliment TJ.

Agreed perhaps Bracey will be the man- certainly there is plenty of depth at wideout!

OFC

Jeremy McDuffie out indefinitely with a broken thumb. Surf and H2C, where does this leave our pass defense, at least for the first month of e season?

not really sure how it will affect the pass defense. they have been playing him closer to the line of scrimmage like they did with jeremy cash. more of a safety/lb hybrid to help stop run and blitz. just hate losing a player with some experience. glad it wasnt a season ender.

Jeremy McDuffie out indefinitely with a broken thumb. Surf and H2C, where does this leave our pass defense, at least for the first month of e season?

Devil after listening to Cut's post practice presser yesterday, I think he may be back in time for Central game. Its really not that bad according to Cut....OFC

so it is really slow news time in football news. however high school football has kicked in and a few duke recruits had impact games
gunner went 11/14 for 170 yds and a td in a 43-0 rout
tahj had 4 tackles and a tackle for a loss
taiyon had the big game with 2 interceptions and a 50 yd kick return
really looking forward to seeing these kids at duke

okay a couple of small tidbits. duke released the 2 deep chart and there were a few interesting things
strong de tre hornbuckle backed up by drew jordan
weak de victor dimukeje gets the nod as a true frosh over mugala and lucas
mark gilbert listed as starter at cb so looks like they worked out whatever the issue was
sooooo ready for the game saturday

okay a couple of small tidbits. duke released the 2 deep chart and there were a few interesting things
strong de tre hornbuckle backed up by drew jordan
weak de victor dimukeje gets the nod as a true frosh over mugala and lucas
mark gilbert listed as starter at cb so looks like they worked out whatever the issue was
sooooo ready for the game saturday

Pretty cool we've got Lucas 3rd on depth chart because thats a talented kid! OFC

yeah our de guys are young but really talented. i kinda think our defense might be a good surprise this year. still worried about the special teams though. have read they had open tryouts for fg kicking last week which you never want to hear opening week.

yeah our de guys are young but really talented. i kinda think our defense might be a good surprise this year. still worried about the special teams though. have read they had open tryouts for fg kicking last week which you never want to hear opening week.

Hate to say it surf, but agree its a DEFINITE CONCERN. Sounds like Cut might be playing Musical Chairs w/our PK's this year. Hoping for some separation there! OFC

okay here are some highlight stats
daniel jones was 19-25 for 213 and 2 tds. also 4-19 rushing and 1 td
britton brown 10 for 120 yds also looked good in pass blocking
aaron young 5 for 89 and 1 td breakout for him i hope
joe giles-harris 8 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack
dylan singleton 6 tackles, 1 for loss
tre hornbuckle 6 tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2 qb hurries, 1 forced fumble
victor dimukeje 4 tackles, 1.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks
so anybody else notice the youth here? we are going to be so much younger than the teams we play but these last couple of recruiting classes are showing up big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT