ADVERTISEMENT

Duke football 2018 news

surfdevil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 19, 2015
wilmington nc
dont know what has happened to the other thread like this i started. just added to it but it did not show up.
duke scores again with TE Zamari Ellis from henderson nc
6' 4'' 245 lbs rated as best tight end in the state
offers include tenn, unc, wva, maryland, uva, wake, vandy and ecu
seems like he can also be a very good blocker which is something we dont have at that position right now.

so a really big day coming in a few weeks for us. on may 5 both blaine scott ol and ernest jones lb will make their choices.we are in the top group for both kids. fingers crossed
blaine is a 6'4'' 299 lb og prospect for us. 5.7 on rivals (boarderline 4 star on every board)
ernest is a 6'2'' 215 lb linebacker prospect for us 5.5 on rivals (higher on all other boards)

Reactions: matthew1
so a really big day coming in a few weeks for us. on may 5 both blaine scott ol and ernest jones lb will make their choices.we are in the top group for both kids. fingers crossed
blaine is a 6'4'' 299 lb og prospect for us. 5.7 on rivals (boarderline 4 star on every board)
ernest is a 6'2'' 215 lb linebacker prospect for us 5.5 on rivals (higher on all other boards)

In spite of a 4-8 year, the OVERALL culture of Duke football has evolved positively enough where we havent lost recruiting momentum!

OFC

Reactions: mbdfan and dbav
I am really looking forward to the season Jones has. It could be outstanding. Also will keep an eye Thomas Sirk down at ECU hoping he has a great season. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Surf, I know that football recruiting is much more fluid than in basketball, especially after a verbal has been obtained. In your opinion, are these all very strong commitments, or do you see a good possibility that they will change? Thanks.

I am really looking forward to the season Jones has. It could be outstanding. Also will keep an eye Thomas Sirk down at ECU hoping he has a great season. OFC

I hope Jones and Sirk have great seasons! I just hope for Cut's sake Jones doesnt falter, while Sirk flourishes! OFC

good question dbav. seems most people feel good right now BUT there is always a nervous tick involved. tajh seems to be very solid and is recruiting for us but what happens if we go 4-8 again and his hometown louisville cardinals go 10-2? thats what the cards guys are hoping for. taiyon is solid right now but a very curious situation involving his best friend t k chimedza. t k is a 4 star dt on most boards and they are childhood friends. has stated they plan on being roommates in college. well t k has said at multiple events that duke is his leader. the duke staff wasnt really recruiting him because they thought he was georgia bound. they have rescently reached out to see how real this is. could be great for us or bad for us. maybe 2 four star dt guys in one class OR maybe he takes taiyon to uga. duke has taken a step up in recruiting level but that also means more pressure till the end. the now approved early signing period in december will be a good thing for schools like duke.

good question dbav. seems most people feel good right now BUT there is always a nervous tick involved. tajh seems to be very solid and is recruiting for us but what happens if we go 4-8 again and his hometown louisville cardinals go 10-2? thats what the cards guys are hoping for. taiyon is solid right now but a very curious situation involving his best friend t k chimedza. t k is a 4 star dt on most boards and they are childhood friends. has stated they plan on being roommates in college. well t k has said at multiple events that duke is his leader. the duke staff wasnt really recruiting him because they thought he was georgia bound. they have rescently reached out to see how real this is. could be great for us or bad for us. maybe 2 four star dt guys in one class OR maybe he takes taiyon to uga. duke has taken a step up in recruiting level but that also means more pressure till the end. the now approved early signing period in december will be a good thing for schools like duke.

Surf thanks for all the scoop my friend! I think you really touched on a key point per our recruiting class and keeping guys in the fold:Our on-field performance next year.

Never thought I would get to the point in my lifetime I could say a 4-8 Duke season (last yr) was an aberration. Hopefully we bounce back this year, arent depleted by injuries, and the secondary isnt consistently giving up big plays. We also need to average more than 23 pts per game on offense! Lets go win at least 7 in 17!!!
#Devils4Life

bang bang the hits keep coming.
rocky shelton commits this morning. 6' 210 lb linebacker
rivals 5.8 4 star
espn 78 3 star
scout 3 star
247 85 3 star
offers include iowa, louisville, unc, auburn, florida state, illini, kentucky, lsu, maryland, michigan state, minny, mizzu, nc state, oregan, penn state, rutgers, syracuse, tenn, wva and wisky

Last edited:
so dont know what has happened but take this for what it is worth, 8 crystal ball picks for blaine scott to duke this morning. our number one ol want. cant wait till the 5th

so dont know what has happened but take this for what it is worth, 8 crystal ball picks for blaine scott to duke this morning. our number one ol want. cant wait till the 5th

What can you tell me about him Surf? Educate me my friend. :)

blaine is a 6'5'' 305 lb (per latest measurements) oline prospect from ohio. he is playing tackle but the staff and most people projected him as a guard. however he just keeps growing so who knows. last year he was 6'3'' or 6'4'' and around 280 per most sites. he is a boarderline 4 star on all sites.
espn is a 79. rivals a 5.7 247 at 87 and scout has him as a 4 star. the one question/knock on him is his competition. he plays in the lowest level in ohio. he crushes them.very quick first step and just drives the pile. how will he do against bigger and better competition is the question. look at his offer list and people seem to think he will be very good.
arkansas, michigan state, ole miss, rutgers, indiana, kentucky, miami, louisville, nc state, unc, northwestern, oregon, pitt, purdue, syracuse, temple,wandy, cincy, fla, illinois and penn state
think that list says all that needs saying.

Reactions: dbav
bang bang bounce back.
jeremiah lewis a 5' 11'' 180 lb cb from plano texas commits
247 at 82
espn has at 74
scout 3 star
rivals 5.7
good offers but not great. smu, bc, colorado, colorado st, kansas, la tech, nevada, northwestern, purdue, rice and southern miss are the best ones
also will be an early december enrolly

Last edited:
bang bang bounce back.
jeremiah lewis a cb from plano texas commits
247 at 82
espn unrated yet
scout 3 star
rivals 5.7
good offers but not great. smu, bc, colorado, colorado st, kansas, la tech, nevada, northwestern, purdue, rice ans southern miss are the best ones
also will be an early december enrolly

Thanks surf for keeping the updates. Looking forward to football season. OFC

Thanks for the update surf. The hiccup last week does not bother me one bit. Duke football is in good hands!

Bang bang again. WR Dennis Smith from Gaffney SC commits this evening. Huge get by the staff. 6'2'' 185 lb with offers from clemson, fla st, uga, indiana, northwestern, nc state
espn at 74
rivals at 5.6
scout at 3 star
247 at 86

Last edited:
So... Are we ever going to open discussion back up on the actual football forum? Or are we just going to have it here lol?

I will admit that as a football fan who as a little boy sat in Wallace Wade enduring season after season of futility, I have much more respect for Duke football fans, who I consider true Duke fans. Those who slide to another school during football season and tell me they don't really cheer for the FB team usually get a sarcastic remark from me related to fairweather fandom...

kinda been wondering the same thing. seems to me we should be able to reopen that board kinda easily. when guys left scout and went to 247 they were down a day or so but had new football/bball sites up in a day.

bang bang. according to his twitter account
jarett garner 6'3'' wr from harrisburg nc has committed
just offered yesterday
louisville, wake, ecu, odu, app, charlotte and the citadel were the other offers
he camped with us saturday night, offered yesterday and committed today.
coaches were very very impressed with him. check out his huddle film. he looks like a find

Last edited:
Nice. Very much looking forward to seeing the talent we've accumulated over the past few years get on the field.

Despite the losing record last yr Cut kept the recruiting strong. I think nationally televised WINS over Notre Dame on the road, and the one over the Tarholes at home were significant in that regard! OFC

Last year may have had more wins with Thomas healthy at qb, but I believe we will come to see a silver lining with the experience Daniel picked up as a freshman starter. Just wait, boys.

Last year may have had more wins with Thomas healthy at qb, but I believe we will come to see a silver lining with the experience Daniel picked up as a freshman starter. Just wait, boys.

Agree on your theory....The offense only averaged 23 pts per game last yr. Thats low for Cut offenses. We must score more pts this yr, and Jones should be even better. Hopefully the kicking game (FGs) as well!!

OFC

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
so a little more info on jarett garner has come out
last year was his first year of football. he is a basketball player who grew up a duke fan that his high school coaches finally talked into playing football also. his first season of playing he had 60 receptions, 1292 yds of receiving and 14 td. good numbers by any std and to think that was his first year. wow. has a 38 in vertical leap and 10' broad jump. very athletic. schools like clemson and unc were making contact with him. his high school coach says he has a great work ethic and says that watching him now that there is no comparison to last year he has developed so much and has put so much into practicing and getting better.
247 has rated him at 84 on last years film. expect rivals will probably do the 5.4 usual that guys they havent seen get think this kid is the real deal.

Reactions: dbav
Any chance he seeks to walk on to the basketball team as well?

so a little more info on jarett garner has come out
last year was his first year of football. he is a basketball player who grew up a duke fan that his high school coaches finally talked into playing football also. his first season of playing he had 60 receptions, 1292 yds of receiving and 14 td. good numbers by any std and to think that was his first year. wow. has a 38 in vertical leap and 10' broad jump. very athletic. schools like clemson and unc were making contact with him. his high school coach says he has a great work ethic and says that watching him now that there is no comparison to last year he has developed so much and has put so much into practicing and getting better.
247 has rated him at 84 on last years film. expect rivals will probably do the 5.4 usual that guys they havent seen get think this kid is the real deal.

Tremendous credentials!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT