ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Smith Commits to....

Ok folks let's get real and cut the bull crap about UNC basketball recruiting. HOF Coach Roy Williams has got everyone of the players he really went after hard. First of all he got his banger in 2015 PF in BIG LUKE MAYE. He will own the paint and to my understanding from a pretty sharp THR poster who is an expert in evaluating talent feels he has developed a pretty good mid-range jumper and has become a deadly shooter from the 3-point line. According to the same source freshman combo guard is pushing NPOY candidate for playing time. He can defense 3 positions and has been a vocal team leader. 2016 5-star recruit Tony Bradley may be forced to play the 3 position if expectations of BIG LUKE MAYE are true. Both Maye and Bradley are versatile enough to play the 3,4 and 5 positions according to the THR source. HOF Coach Roy Williams has his pg of the future. already committed so who needs Smith. That pg is legacy Jalek Felton and we know what kind of stock he comes from. UNC gets who they want and they wanted these recruits. There are two types of recruits. UNC type players then players who go elsewhere. We all should have learned that by now. OFC
Maye is the next Dirk, Jalek is the next Raymond; DSJ will be the next Sebastian Telfair, Tony Bradley will be the next Tim Duncan, and Harry Giles will be Scarecrow - Gary 10-3

Reactions: skysdad
99% of the premium sites had this kid going to State. Those guys need to check with their sources again to make sure they have a clue.

Reactions: pisgah101
Iamjericho with this gem:

"He would have sat behind Berry and that was never going to fly with him. I told you all that before."

Lmao. Dsj would start over Berry even with a bum knee.
If Smith Jr. is healthy, he starts anywhere he goes. Iamjericho knows this deep down as does anyone else who knows how good Smith Jr really is.

Congrats the NC St. This is huge for them!

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
But UNC was gonna have a top 3 class. I also find it funny how they are bashing players going to State and how they become failures. If memory serves me correctly, State had a hell of a team last year.

Last edited:
If Smith Jr. is healthy, he starts anywhere he goes. Iamjericho knows this deep down as does anyone else who knows how good Smith Jr really is.

Congrats the NC St. This is huge for them!
All you have to do is go through the last couple of pages of the "THR Quotes" thread and see how moronic he is. He talks in circles and has no clue- basically like all of them. He kept trying to tell me in that thread about how DSJ would not play ahead of Berry. DSJ is an ELITE player- and here's a little info for those who don't know- these ELITE kids- they're not worried about who's already there in terms of competition for playing time. They KNOW they'll play wherever they go, so that has very very little if anything to do with it.

Gary, DSouth, Jericho- you made your bed, now you have to sleep in it. You said he would go to UNC or was leaning that way and now you're backtracking. Own it.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Question: was Duke recruiting him much? I know we (UK) offered him but I don't know how hard they really tried and no one but a couple buffoons on our message boards ever gave us a chance in hades cuz we knew it'd be NC State. Was it kinda the same with you guys?

We were pretty hard after him early-on. I'm not sure what happened. I do know the staff really fell in love with Frank Jackson and seemed to really hone in on him.

But yes, State has been the team to beat for a long time. I think the only people who thought he may go someplace else were UNC fans.

Question: was Duke recruiting him much? I know we (UK) offered him but I don't know how hard they really tried and no one but a couple buffoons on our message boards ever gave us a chance in hades cuz we knew it'd be NC State. Was it kinda the same with you guys?

In all honesty our recruitment of him really ended when we preferred Thornton over him- thought he was a better fit and remember they were originally in the same class. Plan is that DT will be here 2 years so we basically moved in another direction. The stance was always- if you want to come here the door is open and we'll obviously take you, but you will not be the primary PG, rather the sell was to try and have him play off the ball. As it went- we started getting much heavier into Jackson, who just seemed like a much better fit all around.

State got an ELITE ELITE player yesterday. Congrats to them, DSJ is a hell of a talent.

"Yeah, good for them, but doesn't smell right. Gottfried can't coach, he is just a used car salesman. If Lutz ever gets another gig, Gottfried is screwed. If you are swayed but some stupid helicopter, then really don't want youanyways. $ is behind this."
A Car Heel saying something stinks? Check your soles, buddy.

"Yeah, good for them, but doesn't smell right. Gottfried can't coach, he is just a used car salesman. If Lutz ever gets another gig, Gottfried is screwed. If you are swayed but some stupid helicopter, then really don't want youanyways. $ is behind this."
A Car Heel saying something stinks? Check your soles, buddy.
Like I said in another thread, anyone who says their coach is not a salesman is a fan of a coach who is not succeeding on the recruiting trail.

Gottfried has recruited very well at NC St since he got there.

99% of the premium sites had this kid going to State.

Yep. Despite that , the holes thought he was a lock. What makes these recruiting misses even more painful for unx is that these guys are from NC. unx used to merely SELECT which players they wanted from this state. Not anymore. Just as well. The flagship can look forward to watching some great State/Duke match-ups in the future while they're sitting out their post-season bans. lol

carolina Meltdown‏@ICMeltdown

"I don't fully understand why a top point guard recruit would chose to attend NC State over a university legendary for PG play" #unc

unc Meme ‏@uncMeme

@ICMeltdown Post-season eligibility?

carolina Meltdown‏@ICMeltdown

"I don't fully understand why a top point guard recruit would chose to attend NC State over a university legendary for PG play" #unc

unc Meme ‏@uncMeme

@ICMeltdown Post-season eligibility?

Carolina Meltdown What a fitting nickname. OFC

Big miss for Duke here, but as has been said before, you can't get them all. Don't care for NC State and never have, but will make for an interesting game(s).
Personally, I have no regrets over not getting Smith because I really like the players we got, and the players already here.
"K" knows what he is doing, and getting Thornton and Jackson, I really don't feel a need for a "pity party". I'll take 2 Home Runs over 1 strikeout any day.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Big miss for Duke here... I'll take 2 Home Runs over 1 strikeout any day.
Nah, I disagree that it's a big miss. We had cooled on him a bit since landing Thornton. It's not an embarrassing miss, I should say. And if it's a strikeout, it's a late-inning strikeout while looking when you have a big lead and already hit two homers earlier.

Reactions: dbav
It's not a big miss or a strikeout bc we stopped recruiting him in April. But if you want to think that, by all means. There's a reason we were all in on Jackson....he was willing to play the 1/2 with and behind Thornton. DSJ was not- and there is nothing wrong with either of those. Both guys wanted different things and both will thrive.

Waiting on Smith to maybe commit and losing Jackson in the process would've been the miss. Questioning Duke's recruiting strategies is best done in private.

Reactions: skysdad
Waiting on Smith to maybe commit and losing Jackson in the process would've been the miss. Questioning Duke's recruiting strategies is best done in private.

Good post and I totally agree. We won't regret getting Jackson and that's not knocking Smith. I believe Smith will be a great player and give us fits while at State. I believe Duke nation will love Jackson and the way he plays the game. I'm not saying that we will have him 4 years but I believe we will have him longer than NCSU has Smith. OFC

These last few posts sum up the situation very well. Smith sounds awesome, but getting Thornton a year early and Jackson fulfilled Duke's needs a little better, and, with Duke getting Thornton and Jackson, NCS fit Smith's needs better than Duke probably could have.

And,...since NC already has Berry, they didn't need nor want Thornton, Smith, or Jackson. Glad there were some leftovers for us Duke fans.

These last few posts sum up the situation very well. Smith sounds awesome, but getting Thornton a year early and Jackson fulfilled Duke's needs a little better, and, with Duke getting Thornton and Jackson, NCS fit Smith's needs better than Duke probably could have.

And,...since NC already has Berry, they didn't need nor want Thornton, Smith, or Jackson. Glad there were some leftovers for us Duke fans.

And don't forget the have Felton on the way and according to one THR source he will be a top 10 recruit soon. It's amazing once a recruit commits to UNC how much better they become immediately. Must be something in that "nanner puddin." OFC

Big miss for Duke here, but as has been said before, you can't get them all. Don't care for NC State and never have, but will make for an interesting game(s).
Personally, I have no regrets over not getting Smith because I really like the players we got, and the players already here.
"K" knows what he is doing, and getting Thornton and Jackson, I really don't feel a need for a "pity party". I'll take 2 Home Runs over 1 strikeout any day.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC
Is it a miss if you haven't been recruiting him for months?

I would have loved to see Smith at Duke but it was not going to happen, for a while now. Duke went after Jackson and Thornton is going to be the PG.

Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but who is the "Bam" guy that UNC seems to covet, and whose recruitment seems to be tied to DSJ's?

Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but who is the "Bam" guy that UNC seems to covet, and whose recruitment seems to be tied to DSJ's?

If UNC gets him he is the number rated high school player in the nation. If UNC doesn't get him he's not who UNC really wanted I hope that helps. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Reactions: sgrooms
Thought his appearance on Recruiting Nation was really interesting. He said he is graduating early and will be eligible for State in January. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Also said the guy that's impressed him most in the class is Frank Jackson.

Yea I watched that, he was really complimentary of Frank.

Will his knee be OK by January?

Was wondering if he was going to decommit with his appearance on ESPNU. Didn't know whether he had signed his LOI yet.

Will his knee be OK by January?

Was wondering if he was going to decommit with his appearance on ESPNU. Didn't know whether he had signed his LOI yet.
They said they won't rush him back but the main reason he is going early is to rehab they said. I doubt he'll suit up after Christmas but if he's ready to go say in March ACC tourney time why not work him in a little

Bam Bam Adebayo. He is a guy UNC definitely wanted but he is going to State. He is a good player. He isn't particularly refined from what I remember (haven't kept up with him since UNC has been out of it for a bit) but would certainly help UNC and is a player they could really use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT