ADVERTISEMENT

Current expectation

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
I know we've had these through the year maybe even too many of them but now that we went on a big run and that streak has ended I want to see where you think we stand...

-I want to win the ACC tourney so bad I can't stand it! I think we have a good shot at making it and have a thriller with unc and we prob get to avenge an Lville L if we make the final!

- I see ultimately a 2 seed with 3 possible but I feel we sweep the heels and get a 2

- lastly I think we can win the ship but I honestly feel like 20 teams can I'll be happy with an elite 8 but would be extremely disappointed with anything less

Reactions: Dad2ze
This will probably sound bad, but I'm not even trying to be pessimistic.

I think we lose 2 of our last 3 regular season games and end up #5 going into the ACC tournament. Our tired legs from Wed put as at a disadvantage going up against ND on Thurs, leading to an early exit from the ACC tournament. We end up with a 5 seed in the NCAA in Kansas' region. We get out of the first weekend and lose a hard fought game in the Sweet 16.

I think we lose 2 of our last 3 regular season games and end up #5 going into the ACC tournament. Our tired legs from Wed put as at a disadvantage going up against ND on Thurs, leading to an early exit from the ACC tournament. We end up with a 5 seed in the NCAA in Kansas' region. We get out of the first weekend and lose a hard fought game in the Sweet 16.
Sadly this is far more likely of the two scenarios as it stands right now. I see very little chance of winning the ACC tourney having to play 3-4 days in a row with 6-7 guys.

This is really hard. I'll say I haven't completely given up on this group because I do believe they're incredibly talented. Having three players who have played and won at the Final Four, along with the potential ACC POY and a freshman who is one of the best in the country will always spring some optimism.

That said, clearly there's some issues. We're not a particularly good defensive team. We rely too much on the long ball. Our rotation makes it hard for a long, sustained run. Those are real problems. Can they be overcome? I suppose. Teams in the past have overcome with more issues....but it's not something you see often.

The biggest frustration I've had with this team isn't coaching, the rotation or even the defense....rather, I've been frustrated that nothing has come easy. And what I mean by that is having some lopsided victories. Every game is scratch and claw for this group. They've shown tremendous growth the last month in that area, but finishing and putting away a team hasn't been a suit at all, let alone a strong one.

Eh....

4 seed, s16. Win two ACCT games.

I think we beat FSU.

The rest I'm not optimistic.

I think we win 2...mayyyybe 3 of our final regular season games. Get bounced in the semis of the ACCT. Grab a 3 seed and win a big Sweet 16 game against the 2 seed. Ultimately go home after losing in the Elite 8.

1-2 in the next 3 games
1st round exit of ACC tournament
2nd round exit of NCAA tournament

Lack of passion is what does this team in. I have read a lot of articles where you hear Amile or Matt say "we just came out flat". You do not get a do-over in the tournament.
I hope I am wrong

I expect us to win every game we play. If we don't, I expect our kids to represent our school proudly. :)

Wow I'm really surprised at the low expectations after the Cuse loss. I still think we are a formidable team and according to the latest Bovada odds, we are the favorite.

Reactions: pisgah101
Everybody's message makes sense. I could see any of the above happening. Got to get Grayson back. Look how good Duke was when he played well. Grayson and our defense are the key. Both have been a roller coaster ride. He's playing 7 consistently, is that enough? I don't know, but I believe a little zone at times may help. As good as Kennard has been, and thank God he's been good, the team, when Grayson's on, seems to me to have more pep.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Everybody's message makes sense. I could see any of the above happening. Got to get Grayson back. Look how good Duke was when he played well. Grayson and our defense are the key. Both have been a roller coaster ride. He's playing 7 consistently, is that enough? I don't know, but I believe a little zone at times may help. As good as Kennard has been, and thank God he's been good, the team, when Grayson's on, seems to me to have more pep.

I think Mac called it better than anyone! "Rollercoaster ride" for certain. Yes, when Grayson is on we seem to hit on all cylinders! Its also true K would occasionally opt for a little zone to shake up things a little, and we havent seen it in a while.I somehow see us taking two of next 3, and making the finals of the ACC Tourney. As far as NCAA's go, I see us making it to the ELITE EIGHT.

OFC

One loss has everyone jumping overboard...?
My expectations were the same even on the 7 game winning streak. We are not a great basketball team, good (when the 3 is falling). Other than that we continue to be a poor defensive team without the ability to stop dribble penetration. That usually spells trouble in the tournament setting.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Nagging or hidden physical issues that we are not privy to are one factor that is hard to define. How healthy are those 6/7 players? Its seems to have been a consistent theme over the past 5+ years that our bench shortens towards the end of each season. It worked in 2015 but that may have been an anomaly based on talent and timing...every team is a bucket from losing or winning in the tournaments latter stages. Fatigue and depth are definitely factors in late season with the number of games over such a short period

My crystal ball, that is more opaque, we go 2-1 over the last 3, win 1 lose 1 in the ACCT , get a 3 seed in the NCAAT...scrape though the first week in more nail biting games and then lose the following week.

Off season we lose a couple of the current players to transfer, we all get hyped over our incoming recruiting class and we are back in this thread or one like in 365 days from now....groundhog day :)

^This. I have been and will say it to the end of the season, Grayson is the key. He takes this team to another level. "K" has to know he must get him healthy, but he is not willing to take the chance of setting him out for a game (tell you anything?). When this is all said and done, he may wish he had of.
I am still sick over the Cuse game, but you know, it is what it is, we have to move on. Maybe I'm just getting old(er), but I really like this team and refuse to give up. If I had to pick right now,I would go with the duhondukie post above. That makes me sicker!
So, that being said, I'm going to go with the ability of Coach "K" to right the ship, motivate, and Duke pride to come out of the players by the time the ACCT starts. IF we can get to the Elite 8 of the NCAAT, Duke will win it all. No matter how this ends, I'm going to live and die with them every game from here on out, and hope all of you do too!
Go Duke!
OFC
OFC

I think we're an elite 8 team with potential to be better than that. We might not like how 3 point dependent we are, but we have two of the best shooters in the nation so that's going to be a big part of our offensive game plan. We obviously need Grayson healthy for it to happen though.

This. Even during that win streak we just never looked great. Every game was close, defense was still subpar, not a ton of flow to the offense. Having 3 great scorers is the only reason we put up points. I hope they can get it together but realistically it's almost March and they still haven't so I really don't see us doing it. Just still in shock, a team with this much talent and K not only lost 6 games but lost to far inferior teams for the most part.

I definitely think we're an elite 8 team, from there it's who gets hot and lucky as most years. If we shoot good, we go far. If we shoot poorly, it will be an early exit. That's just who we are. I have never bought into the fatigue thing. When I was 18-22 years old, just give me a days rest or two and I was good to go. Heck, I need two weeks to recover now!

Just still in shock, a team with this much talent and K not only lost 6 games but lost to far inferior teams for the most part.

Like I said in another thread, I think all of us, myself included, just bought in to the hype too much. No one saw many of the issues this team has faced coming. And it's not even the injuries....because those happen every year. It's been the number of them, the timing of them, the head coach being out a month and Grayson being stupid back in late December. It's been a complete buzzkill. And on top of that, when things finally look like they're normal, the kids just can't put it together and find the right formula. It's maddening.

Put it this way....if you think we're frustrated, how do you think the staff and players feel? They're invested in it. We're just fans on a message board.

I definitely think we're an elite 8 team, from there it's who gets hot and lucky as most years. If we shoot good, we go far. If we shoot poorly, it will be an early exit. That's just who we are. I have never bought into the fatigue thing. When I was 18-22 years old, just give me a days rest or two and I was good to go. Heck, I need two weeks to recover now!
Yeah my buddy played golf the other day and said it took him 4 advil just to get thru the round. hahaha

I see some potential incredibly tough early match ups if we slide to a 4-5 seed. I don't see that happening. I would say 65% a 3 seed/ 25% a 4/ 10% lower then that. I think we have a good team and the piecses, I always assume K will get it done. The Cuse ending has me a bit gun shy, but I always expect a title. It is wide open this season. UNC is set to make a deep run. I would sharpie them into the final four at this point. I have Zero doubt K would beat Roy on the biggest stage. I guess the long and short..... we can beat anybody and lose to many. I still feel K has one more big adjustment in his sleeve for this squad

I know we've had these through the year maybe even too many of them but now that we went on a big run and that streak has ended I want to see where you think we stand...

-I want to win the ACC tourney so bad I can't stand it! I think we have a good shot at making it and have a thriller with unc and we prob get to avenge an Lville L if we make the final!

- I see ultimately a 2 seed with 3 possible but I feel we sweep the heels and get a 2

- lastly I think we can win the ship but I honestly feel like 20 teams can I'll be happy with an elite 8 but would be extremely disappointed with anything less

I expect we will win #6 even if we wear those nike black uni's but it's going to be easier with the Duke Blues when we are a lower seed. OFC

I refuse to do the roller coaster of expectations for this group. My honest opinion is I haven't the foggiest clue what to expect. Prior to the cuse game the majority opinion was that we would run the table (or 3-1) and make a serious run in the tournament. Did a miraculous buzzer beater change us from a national contender to early exit? For sure not.

This group is extremely talented offensively, we have 3 top tier scorers and a ton of personnel who could still do big things for us. I will say it is going to be tough if our rotation remains at 6-7 to win the ACC Tournament, it's just too grueling a task against far too many talented teams. Once we get into the tourney I think it all comes down to matchups. We can score with anyone and I don't think we'll be over matched in any game like we where against Oregon last year. But where does the season end? No clue, none at all.

I still expect to be in the elite 8. I want to say Final Four but we will get enough of test in the elite 8 that we will have to shoot good to win. If we don't, we will lose. I think the earlier rounds we can overcome not shooting good, as long as we don't shoot horribly.

The biggest factor here IMO will be if Duke is playing as team and if they are staying locked in on both ends of the court. Duke can be nearly unguardable when all 5 guys on the court share the ball. When they don't, like the last few mins against Cuse, they beat theirselves. A couple of the losses Duke suffered were due to not sharing the ball, imo. Tatum has made GREAT passes the past few games and that is encouraging. We need Grayson to get healthy so he can shoot again, or for him to not jack them up like he has recently and miss. I've seen enough out of Harry offensively and on the boards to warrant more playing time if he can handle it physically.

I would feel much better about getting out of the sweet 16 if we had Giles/Bolden/Amile/ Jeter playing alot of minutes and scoring in the paint. Without a bunch of dunks, layups, offensive rebound follow ups too much depends on the 3 ball falling. Too risky at the big tournament sites to count on. Think it is poor coaching to not be able to go inside when needed.

I refuse to do the roller coaster of expectations for this group. My honest opinion is I haven't the foggiest clue what to expect. Prior to the cuse game the majority opinion was that we would run the table (or 3-1) and make a serious run in the tournament. Did a miraculous buzzer beater change us from a national contender to early exit? For sure not.

This group is extremely talented offensively, we have 3 top tier scorers and a ton of personnel who could still do big things for us. I will say it is going to be tough if our rotation remains at 6-7 to win the ACC Tournament, it's just too grueling a task against far too many talented teams. Once we get into the tourney I think it all comes down to matchups. We can score with anyone and I don't think we'll be over matched in any game like we where against Oregon last year. But where does the season end? No clue, none at all.
You're exactly right about teams talent. The problem is squeaking by just about every game, then losing to Syracuse. They're not beating the other team into submission like we all expect and hope, and we've seen this movie before. The frustrating part with this team is they have all that you'd think needed to win it all: size, athletic players, and possibly depth. To me it's Grayson and defensive improvement holding them back

1-2 over the last three games hopefully.

Second round of the Semi finals of the ACC tourney

Second round of the NCAA tourney.

This team is just too unpredictable. The upside
3-0
ACC champions and
NCAA champions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT