ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K

dukesince91

Cameron Crazy
Mar 16, 2012
Do you remember some of the talk on here not long ago about Coach K not making adjustments and maybe he's too old? Where are those people now that kept complaining about his philosophy on defense? I just wanted to give the man some props. He is the G.O.A.T. And always will be. I love his defensive adjustment to that amoeba looking zone and how he's adjusted Grayson & Trevon on offense.

Do you remember some of the talk on here not long ago about Coach K not making adjustments and maybe he's too old? Where are those people now that kept complaining about his philosophy on defense? I just wanted to give the man some props. He is the G.O.A.T. And always will be. I love his defensive adjustment to that amoeba looking zone and how he's adjusted Grayson & Trevon on offense.

Amen! Solid post....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
He’s made an amazing defensive adjustment...and it’s about time...

There wasn’t any indication from any history of K that he would go strictly with a zone...he’s done it in spurts but never full on change like this...

We have some past teams that would have faired a lot better if he made this change with them also....

I’m super duper glad he made the change...I’m very happy to see him adapt...I said if we keep people under 70 we are going to be really tough to beat...while I’m not a huge fan of the zone...teams won’t hang 50 a half on us either...and that will be enough to give us a real shot....

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
He’s redeeming himself from last year. That’s fa sho
What in the world does he have to redeem himself for?He had a team that had more key injuries that I have ever seen in my life yet got them to win the ACC tournament.We lost to a team that was having a once in a lifetime run but that was K’s fault.You are out of your mind or have no clue at all about basketball.Take your pick

What in the world does he have to redeem himself for?He had a team that had more key injuries that I have ever seen in my life yet got them to win the ACC tournament.We lost to a team that was having a once in a lifetime run but that was K’s fault.You are out of your mind or have no clue at all about basketball.Take your pick

Last year he was terrible. His worse coaching job since being at Duke. Even he said it. Now step back and let him breath. That's his wife's job.

Reactions: JBsmoove2
And you are what you call a "Yes Man". Worthless to talk to someone like you. Coach can't do any wrong I see
Please explain what any other coach would have done dealing with the injuries that we had last year.We had more games missed than any other team in America last year and that does not even count Grayson’s problems while playing thru an injury that required surgery after the season.Have you played any sport st all

Please explain what any other coach would have done dealing with the injuries that we had last year.We had more games missed than any other team in America last year and that does not even count Grayson’s problems while playing thru an injury that required surgery after the season.Have you played any sport st all

Once again even Coach K said he did a poor job with the team last year by not developing a bench. I'm not going back and forth with you about that homeboy.

Once again even Coach K said he did a poor job with the team last year by not developing a bench. I'm not going back and forth with you about that homeboy.
One I am not your home boy.Two leaders always take responsibility for the people they lead.Again I ask what he could do to develop a bench when they are hurt and cannot play

I like the Zone Defense. But I don't really care for Jay Bilas calling us Syracuse South.

Reactions: dbav
And that my friend is huge. I’m old school in the sense that I love seeing Duke shut down opponents. You can still win games in the tournament even if you have an off night offensively when you shut your opponent down on a nightly basis. Love offense but defense wins Nattys also and having both,,,,well that’s another level then.

And that my friend is huge. I’m old school in the sense that I love seeing Duke shut down opponents. You can still win games in the tournament even if you have an off night offensively when you shut your opponent down on a nightly basis. Love offense but defense wins Nattys also and having both,,,,well that’s another level then.
Right you are

Once again even Coach K said he did a poor job with the team last year by not developing a bench.
Do you have an exact quote where he connects the lack of bench development w/ his own poor self-assessment?

There isn't a ton of evidence of an exclusively zone team being able to win a a championship outside of the Cuse run with Melo. But I think that is largely a byproduct of how few teams use it as their primary.

I really like it for this team. They are getting driven way less than they had previously, and the bigs are always around the rim. The opponent shooting percentages and the points allowed speak for themselves. They aren't going to keep holding people under 60, but this is just worlds different from the first 2/3 of the year.

I suspect they will work in some more man in down the stretch. The 2015 team used zone to refine their man principles, and then played exclusively man in March. I think this team is still going to spend the vast majority of time in zone, a Coach K first, but it is not going to be 100% I wouldn't think.

Reactions: germantondevil
One I am not your home boy.Two leaders always take responsibility for the people they lead.Again I ask what he could do to develop a bench when they are hurt and cannot play

I agree but let's stop the "bench was hurt" narrative. Harry Giles was hurt. Tatum was hurt for the first few games and was healthy for all of ACC. Grayson had an ankle injury and missed 2-3 games maybe. He was healthy enough to play 30 min. Those were the injuries. Jackson, Grayson, Kennard, Tatum, Matt Jones, and Amile is more than enough talent to do better than 11-7 in the ACC if we're gonna be objective. Team underperformed last year with the talent they had - ACC tournament title was sweet though... Lucky Bonzie sprained his ankle in that game too. Bench wasn't developed at all. Starters of Grayson, Kennard, Jones, Tatum, Amile with Jackson, Giles, and Jeter off the bench is very good - they were preseason #1 for a reason.

South Carolina defense was just too overwhelming on the perimeter and Kennard had an awful shooting night.

Maybe it's because I'm old just like Coach K but why in the world would a Duke fan won't Coach K to hang them up. When time comes Coach K will know it and he will tell the rest of us. OFC

When we were giving up 90 pts a game, it was pointed out by guys like me that we sucked at M2M and should go exclusively to zone. But some folks trotted out the GOAT label as an end to that discussion. So when Coach gives up on M2M, now those same folks are praising him for adapting. Can't have it both ways.

The last few years it has been painfully obvious that regardless of personnel, with the rare exception of the 2015 tourney run, this team sucks at playing Coach's M2M style. We've had several flame outs against lower seeds because of a refusal to acknowledge this.

So, better late than never, but let's not pretend this couldn't have happened 4 years ago.

edit: Another common complaint is lack of bench play. If Bagley hadn't gone down, Javin and White would still be nailed to the bench. They've both been revelations. So playing our bench - yeah, another area where Coach should be more adaptive.

Last edited:
"Lower your expectations of K" I believe was D#1 's advice. No thanks, I think he's an amazing coach myself. When he feels like he's not making the mark any longer, he'll retire.
Uhhhh yeah. Some think that because we are getting top recruiting class after top recruiting class that we are essentially a shoo-in to win another championship in the next few years. It's just not the case. Unfortunately, chances are K has already won his last NCAA title. It doesn't mean that he isn't an amazing coach though. Decent attempt at a straw man though.

Uhhhh yeah. Some think that because we are getting top recruiting class after top recruiting class that we are essentially a shoo-in to win another championship in the next few years. It's just not the case. Unfortunately, chances are K has already won his last NCAA title. It doesn't mean that he isn't an amazing coach though. Decent attempt at a straw man though.

So this years team and next years team are not likely candidates to win a title?
mCVb3zx.jpg

So this years team and next years team are not likely candidates to win a title?
mCVb3zx.jpg
You realize that he has coached over 40 years and has won 5 times right? He has lost in years with much better TEAMS than than this one. I don't know why anyone would think the percentages are in his favor to win another. I sure hope I am wrong but just being realistic.

You realize that he has coached over 40 years and has won 5 times right? He has lost in years with much better TEAMS than than this one. I don't know why anyone would think the percentages are in his favor to win another. I sure hope I am wrong but just being realistic.
I'd argue the only teams with more talent than this team were the 99 02 and 04 teams. One barely lost in the title, one in the final four, and one lost because of a missed free throw. And I think it's a fair debate to say that this team has more talent than those, it's close.

Sure, 5 in 40 is a low percentage...but let's classify K's teams in tiers 1-4, Tier 1 being the top teams....this team would definitely be a tier 1 team (next years should be too)....now where are we? 5 in 10?? 50%? I'll take those odds.

Percentage wise, I agree, but that's because the percentages are against everybody using that logic. 5 in 40 years is 12.5%
Izzo has 2 in around 24 years- 8%
Wright has 1 in around 23 years- 4%
Williams has 3 in 30 years- 10%

I don't think that's an accurate way to determine a coaches chances of winning a title. Tony Bennett is at 0%. What coach has a high percentage chance?

Reactions: Dattier
I hope coach K lives till he is 1000 years old and continues to coach throughout his life.

I'm with you jwill. I hope he coaches as long as he feels he can do it. He will know. His legacy and influence will last for as long as there is competitive basketball. His coaching tree has a lot of branches right now and it will keep growing. He has multiple head coaches on his bench right now that if they wish will be at the helm of a major college soon. OFC

Reactions: jwill133
I'd argue the only teams with more talent than this team were the 99 02 and 04 teams. One barely lost in the title, one in the final four, and one lost because of a missed free throw. And I think it's a fair debate to say that this team has more talent than those, it's close.

Sure, 5 in 40 is a low percentage...but let's classify K's teams in tiers 1-4, Tier 1 being the top teams....this team would definitely be a tier 1 team (next years should be too)....now where are we? 5 in 10?? 50%? I'll take those odds.
Again, we have a shot. No doubt. Especially the way Grayson is playing. There is also luck involved as well. I'd be willing to say the best team does not usually win the whole thing. If college basketball was determined by best of 3, K might have 12 titles right now.

Percentage wise, I agree, but that's because the percentages are against everybody using that logic. 5 in 40 years is 12.5%
Izzo has 2 in around 24 years- 8%
Wright has 1 in around 23 years- 4%
Williams has 3 in 30 years- 10%

I don't think that's an accurate way to determine a coaches chances of winning a title. Tony Bennett is at 0%. What coach has a high percentage chance?

I'm not sure if you mean active coaches only but we must recognize John Wooden. He has to have the highest. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT