ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden

duhondukie

Cameron Crazy
Jan 12, 2010
Bolden played in all 3 games in Canada and did not score. He has got to figure it out, we need a big body down there to score between 8 and 12 points and grab some rebounds.

Boldens back to the basket game is suspect. and he’s doesn’t have that JD mentality, ability, athleticism, stamina, hustle, whatever . Like Show said, he just doesn think he’s suited for this team.. Hed have to be a Jahlil or Babley to demand touches on this team. And be able to run! Lol . I’m not giving up hope but man I’m close.....

With the incredible firepower provided by the freshmen it does not look like there is a need for much offense from others other than from offensive rebound second chance points or on the break. There will also be a need for a defensive stopper if the other team has a powerful inside presence.

Bolden is pretty bad, JD has been very good. He’s not a offensive player but he gets points via playing his role to a T. There won’t be any rim protection so having a good zone will be key

Reactions: hart2chesson
Bolden never seemed to bounce back after injuries his freshmen and sophomore year. His development looks as if it took a major hit.

These games should of been nothing but confidence builders for the young man, specifically since none of the teams had a big that had any buisness on the court against him, but instead it looks as if it was the complete opposite. Watching the end of the game Coach K turned and looked as if he was yelling at Bolden (or giving him some stern coaching) and Bolden just turned his head and looked off in the distance. Couldn't tell of he celebrated with the team at the final buzzer or not but i don't think the young man will make it the whole year at this rate.

My dad was a duke fan all my life. He passed in May from Liver cancer. I am a Duke fan and I would talk with him at length about the lineup and philosophy etc. One thing he believed was that these big guys and more importantly players that don’t see minutes the first couple of years need game reps to be better in games.
I remember Bolden being a big deal coming out of HS and feeling joy and excitement when he announced for Duke. Is he Elton Brand? No. Far from it. Is he Josh Hairston? Again, no. He is a very big very talented player. He has struggled and definitely underwhelmed these three games in Canada. So what. Three meaningless games in August don’t amount to diddly. The tendency is to put him down because when we sit on the couch and see Zion and RJ perform at an elite level it only makes sense that everyone at Duke should be elite. Bolden is going to be fine. Or he will sit and watch. But it’s more important to be a fan and root than take a dump on him for whatever reason.
I personally wish Jeter had stayed but I wosh him well at Arizona. Also, everything, as we all know, will be vastly different once Tre and Cam are healthy and playing meaningful games.

1. It is very early.
2. Lots of times certain bigs (Zoubek) are lost against smaller teams, even extremely inferior ones.
3. Hoping like hell that 1 and or 2 are the case with Bolden.

In person I was really surprised how inactive Bolden was today on both ends. JD is much more active. On a team that should score easily you’re better off using a guy who is high energy, will rebound and be active all over the court.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Bolden seems to want to play (his) game. And (his) game is not needed, and nowhere close to being good enough to play it....yet lol Imo. He needs to accept that JD type roll. Imo if he does, then he improves, if not, I don’t know what will happen.(if he even can!!) lol

Reactions: dukehokie
To think all this is being said with out the starting pg, Reddish and even Alex.

These are nothing more then scrimmages. Someone said it best,” we haven’t even seen the true starters hit the court yet together!”

My dad was a duke fan all my life. He passed in May from Liver cancer. I am a Duke fan and I would talk with him at length about the lineup and philosophy etc. One thing he believed was that these big guys and more importantly players that don’t see minutes the first couple of years need game reps to be better in games.
I remember Bolden being a big deal coming out of HS and feeling joy and excitement when he announced for Duke. Is he Elton Brand? No. Far from it. Is he Josh Hairston? Again, no. He is a very big very talented player. He has struggled and definitely underwhelmed these three games in Canada. So what. Three meaningless games in August don’t amount to diddly. The tendency is to put him down because when we sit on the couch and see Zion and RJ perform at an elite level it only makes sense that everyone at Duke should be elite. Bolden is going to be fine. Or he will sit and watch. But it’s more important to be a fan and root than take a dump on him for whatever reason.
I personally wish Jeter had stayed but I wosh him well at Arizona. Also, everything, as we all know, will be vastly different once Tre and Cam are healthy and playing meaningful games.
First I’m sorry for your loss. Yes it is to early to write off guys, and these games don’t tell you a lot but, it’s not seeing R.J. and Zion playing at a high level that’s making us think this lol . It’s Kinda JD! Or hell big Vrank! If it had to be somebody?? You watch what they’re doing , and wonder why Boldens not! They’re just hustling, making plays, etc. Bolden is just set on being this back to the basket center , and nothing more , all while not even being that back to the basket center at a high level!. Lol last nobody is taking a dump on him. It’s just honest opinion. Everybody is still rooting for him.

Last edited:
To think all this is being said with out the starting pg, Reddish and even Alex.

These are nothing more then scrimmages. Someone said it best,” we haven’t even seen the true starters hit the court yet together!”
It’s not about that imo... He doesn’t have the energy JD does period. I don’t think (the lineup) changes a dang thing for Bolden.....I hope I’m wrong....We know they’re scrimmages but dangggggg, can you show energy in a scrimmage???? Lol I’m just not like critiquing his game in these (scrimmages).....ITS HIS ENERGY!!!! :)

Last edited:
It just three games in the summer. Javin can run the court better and score around the basket even though he doesn’t have a great skill set, but he is extremely athletic. He can eat rebounds and score in the low post.

Bolden style may not fit modern basketball or at least this team that all about spacing and driving to the basket.

Zion and JD both can protect the rim with their leaping ability and their willingness to play defense.

Zion, Cam, RJ, Tre and Alex can all can take their man off the dribble and score in double figures. Zion, RJ and Cam could go for 30 plus on any given night. Jack, Joey and Alex all can knock down open shots and grab rebounds along with guard multiple positions.

It also looks like Vrank and has
Lost weight and seems to be more agile than in the past.

How many minutes he’s had means something....(with 3 guys out!)

Bolden showed flashes both his Freshman (comeback home win against Miami) and Sophomore year (loss at UNC), Duke just needs him to show up with a high energy motor game in and game out, if he can’t do that then DeLaurier and Vrank will take his minutes

In recruiting threads, I keep seeing people say Bolden is gone after this season. Like he's already informed the staff and they are recruiting with the expectation of filling his spot.

Is he planning on turning pro no matter how the season goes?

I’m afraid Boldens style won’t find a home here. We’re to fast for him. All he’s going to do is be in the way if we have so many giant bodies slashing to the basket. Javin will help way more because he’s mobile and fast enough.

In recruiting threads, I keep seeing people say Bolden is gone after this season. Like he's already informed the staff and they are recruiting with the expectation of filling his spot.

Is he planning on turning pro no matter how the season goes?
Don’t they every year :)

1. It is very early.
2. Lots of times certain bigs (Zoubek) are lost against smaller teams, even extremely inferior ones.
3. Hoping like hell that 1 and or 2 are the case with Bolden.

He’s a junior. He’s a bust, it happens.

In no way in my original was I bashing Bolden, I am just saying I was hoping to see a little more from him. At the point when K was coaching him in a stern manner the thought ran through my mind that he is checked out. He just looked off in the distance. Who knows, with this team we may be better off with him off the floor not clogging up the 3 second area.

I’m afraid Boldens style won’t find a home here. We’re to fast for him. All he’s going to do is be in the way if we have so many giant bodies slashing to the basket. Javin will help way more because he’s mobile and fast enough.

But Javin can't stay out of foul trouble, and he's undersized when guarding centers.

A pass first point guard who can drive and dish may change his whole dynamic, but he and K have butted heads on the court this whole trip. Not a good start for Ques.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
The OP is completely wrong. If we get 10 points from our C positions, from all possible players, it will be 10 unnecessary points. From Zion and RJ, to Cam and Tre, with a few other players, we'll score every point we need to win essentially every game.
I'm more concerned about defense and rebounding. I'd hoped Bolden finally understood how valuable those aspects were, but it seems he hasn't quite gotten that memo.
JD has. Hustle, defense, and rebounding. That is literally all we'll need form the C position this year. Plus, if JD will hustle and rebound, that will be good for 6-10 ppg, which is just gravy.

Reactions: sheyduke
I’ll reserve any critisicism of bolden until some games into the season. Let him go back and try and make some adjustments. We need him this year. We’re not cutting down the nets without quality leadership.

BINGO

The OP is completely wrong. If we get 10 points from our C positions, from all possible players, it will be 10 unnecessary points. From Zion and RJ, to Cam and Tre, with a few other players, we'll score every point we need to win essentially every game.
I'm more concerned about defense and rebounding. I'd hoped Bolden finally understood how valuable those aspects were, but it seems he hasn't quite gotten that memo.
JD has. Hustle, defense, and rebounding. That is literally all we'll need form the C position this year. Plus, if JD will hustle and rebound, that will be good for 6-10 ppg, which is just gravy.

Focusing on the pointless, irrelevant aspects of his play is willfully ignorant at best, and negative at worst.
Who gives a F if he makes shots. We don't need him to do that. Defense and rebounding is all we need from what ever C we ultimately play.
The season hasn't started: How do you know what the team needs him to do? When he was a freshman and sophomore defense and rebounding was fine, but he's a junior now, nothing wrong with expecting more. I love it when people label you ignorant because you don't agree with them

Reactions: QC Dukie
The season hasn't started: How do you know what the team needs him to do? When he was a freshman and sophomore defense and rebounding was fine, but he's a junior now, nothing wrong with expecting more. I love it when people label you ignorant because you don't agree with them

He doesn't ever need to do more than defend and rebound. Clint Capella and Rudy Gobert will make 9 figures based mostly upon their ability to defend and rebound.
Look, offense would be nice. And, sure, it isn't unreasonable to think that he'd be better at that aspect by now.
But it doesn't matter.
In today's game, bigs have to defend and rebound. Offense would be nice, sure, but it is ultimately unnecessary. For bigs, defending and rebounding is akin to shooting guards being able to make 3 point shots. It is a prerequisite of the job. It is THE (or are the, for the grammar fascists) main job skill today. Every top tier big is effective at defending and rebounding. The truly elites are great on offense along with the D and rpgs, but who is asking for elite.
We just need any big man to be a competent defender and rebounder. Given their size, length, and athleticism, either of Javin or Bolden can make poop tons of money by being plus defenders and rebounders, to say nothing of the near certain FF run Duke will have if either or both of our nominal bigs can defend and rebound.

I’ve said for a while that I think the freshman will benefit most by having a shooter around them over more size.

That being said...Bolden will have his moments this year...he’s just not likely to be a threat every night.

Just back from 2 weeks vacation,a couple observations...R.J.is the real deal.Zion is so much more than just a great dunker.Jordan Goldwire looks like he can be a solid back up point guard.Jack White and Javin are going to be good contributors,Vrank was very solid (albeit against weaker completion than they will see once our season begins),Bolden still looks lost out there,i'm beginning to wonder if he will be able to contribute or not,hopefully its too early to tell.and finally Jay Bilas rocked the Canadian trivia!

You’re being labeled that the same way you labeled Bolden and JD in the same sentence :)

How about all the open FTs R.J. missed ......;) whatcha got to say about that ? Curious

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT