ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Bowden

Alaskan_Assassin_21

All Conference
Jan 19, 2014
Polska
Fellow ACC giant. Different sport, different school. For much of my fandom the two schools never overlapped. One dominated basketball and the other football.

Reports are stating Mr.Bowden is terminally ill. Thoughts? Where do you rank him and the program he built. From a female school to power of Southern football.

I actually grew up knowing i was gonna play baseball at fsu. Things changed over time and ended up elsewhere but i have a ton of love for the noles. My first love in sports. Bobby is a great man. Personable and funny, and was a fantastic story teller. Some of the old stories are hilarious. He made some mistakes...mainly in hiring his own son Jeff and refusing to see that was a huge mistake. Ultimately that decision led to Jimbo becoming the coach in waiting. I do think that it was time for him to go when he did, regardless if he was nudged toward the door. It started to feel like being held captive by a coach. He was a great man though. Kind of the anti Saban whom i think everybody regards as the goat at this point. Seems like he won without letting it steal his soul and really cared about his players. I would say he is on the mt. Rushmore of college football coaches

I actually grew up knowing i was gonna play baseball at fsu. Things changed over time and ended up elsewhere but i have a ton of love for the noles. My first love in sports. Bobby is a great man. Personable and funny, and was a fantastic story teller. Some of the old stories are hilarious. He made some mistakes...mainly in hiring his own son Jeff and refusing to see that was a huge mistake. Ultimately that decision led to Jimbo becoming the coach in waiting. I do think that it was time for him to go when he did, regardless if he was nudged toward the door. It started to feel like being held captive by a coach. He was a great man though. Kind of the anti Saban whom i think everybody regards as the goat at this point. Seems like he won without letting it steal his soul and really cared about his players. I would say he is on the mt. Rushmore of college football coaches
I can tell you watched many games. [Jeff Bowden Era. Rainbow Offense] Myself too. Jimbo coach in waiting was brilliant and struck gold.

I am of the belief FSU really screwed up with Jimbo. He wanted to make the football program their athletic (financial) focus but the AD disagreed. These women sports hang banners but they don't pay the bills. Sports have been X'd as a result of Covid effect on Football profits. Interesting angle.

Last edited:
I can tell you watched many games. [Jeff Bowden Era. Rainbow Offense] Myself too. Jimbo coach in waiting was brilliant and struck gold.

I am of the belief FSU really screwed up with Jimbo. He wanted to make the football program their athletic (financial) focus but the AD disagreed. These women sports hang banners but they don't pay the bills. Sports have been X'd as a result of Covid effect on Football profits. Interesting angle.
My grandfather was a deacon at Bobby’s church and, although a Gator, thought the world of him I had the honor of meeting him at a FCA banquet about ten years ago. What a kind, generous spirit with time for his family, friends and church.

Fellow ACC giant. Different sport, different school. For much of my fandom the two schools never overlapped. One dominated basketball and the other football.

Reports are stating Mr.Bowden is terminally ill. Thoughts? Where do you rank him and the program he built. From a female school to power of Southern football.
He definitely put FSU football on the map . They were doing nothing until he became coach. I kinda became an FSU fan when they came into the ACC and really brought big time football to the conference. I was on the FSU site for many years, they kept up with football recruiting as well as the quest for an ACC channel better by far than any of the other sites. Plus Bowden was a class act. Yes, he screwed up by bringing his son into coaching. At the expense of pissing of FSU fans, the people on Warchant, are the most fickle , hard to please of any site that I have ever seen . They pounded Bobby, then when Jimbo came on board they never seemed pleased with him either . So, look at the state of FSU football today vs Texas A&M..

Did Jimbo get fired or did he leave? The football program has fallen off a cliff since then. (the name Jimbo annoys me is he 5?)
The "fans" might have run him off. Plus, I think he went through a divorce, some of us know how that goes. At any rate, he might have become disenchanted with FSU for several reasons. Plus , A&M offered him a ton of cash. And no, he did not get fired. Has been a while since I kept up with this , so I hope I am telling you correctly.

Jimbo was not fired, Florida State was thrilled to see him leave, however. His offensive lines were horrible at the end. Fisher did divorce his wife, and his son has a severe medical condition. I'm sure that a change of scenery pleased him. He's faring better than I expected at Texas A&M

Jimbo was not fired, Florida State was thrilled to see him leave, however. His offensive lines were horrible at the end. Fisher did divorce his wife, and his son has a severe medical condition. I'm sure that a change of scenery pleased him. He's faring better than I expected at Texas A&M
He felt he didn’t have the admins full support esp as it pertained to facility upgrades and the like. He wanted a Dabo or Saban situation where he was given a blank check. Burn out as well as the divorce were key factors as well. Just needed a change of scenery He left Taggart some good skill people but the Oline was atrocious and the roster was littered with low character guys

Sorry to repeat some of what u said. He held on to oline coach Rick Trickett much too long. He was good back in the day, but his drill sergeant routine (former Marine) led to high attrition and difficult recruiting After Pruitt left after title year his DC Charles Kelly was a disaster as well

The "fans" might have run him off. Plus, I think he went through a divorce, some of us know how that goes. At any rate, he might have become disenchanted with FSU for several reasons. Plus , A&M offered him a ton of cash. And no, he did not get fired. Has been a while since I kept up with this , so I hope I am telling you correctly.
Spot on. Famous photo of a toppled over Christmas tree left in front yard he was so eager to get out of town

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Sorry if too many posts about Jimbo Fisher. I didn't like saying the son has a disease without knowing more so I googled. Ethan Fisher is 16 years old. He has Fanconi Anemia. He's doing well, but has to be extra careful about covid avoidance
I didn't want to pay for articles, but it appears that he's had bone marrow transplants. Without transplants, it's rare to live with Fanconi Anemia past age 20. His foundation has raised over ten million dollars for research

He felt he didn’t have the admins full support esp as it pertained to facility upgrades and the like. He wanted a Dabo or Saban situation where he was given a blank check. Burn out as well as the divorce were key factors as well. Just needed a change of scenery He left Taggart some good skill people but the Oline was atrocious and the roster was littered with low character guys
Jimbo was a good coach amd brought fsu back. However he was going through so much personally and obviously wanted more from the university. He also held them captive every off season with whatever high profile job was open at the time. Not really a good way to foster a healthy relationship. I honestly dont feel he is a good representative or leader or young men...great coach though

Like i said...it was my first love. I grew up in jacksonville in the 90s. I honestly appreciate jimbo for his time but he didnt want to be at fsu so i didnt want him there. Bobby loved fsu. I dont think jimbo ever did

I'm not super familiar with the Jimbo situation but it seems like he was being groomed to take over for a while. And then he just moved on after a few years. Seems strange, esp. as FSU is not exactly a mid major.

I'm not super familiar with the Jimbo situation but it seems like he was being groomed to take over for a while. And then he just moved on after a few years. Seems strange, esp. as FSU is not exactly a mid major.
Part of getting him to fsu as the offensive coordinator was giving him the coach in waiting title. Nobody knew exactly when bobby was gonna retire but it could only be a few years before jimbo would become the head coach. While at fsu jimbos wife was cheating on him. There are crazy rumors in Tally about who with. Jimbo looked tired and drunk half the time. He hated doing the stuff that coaches have to do like make booster appearances. In turn the boosters and administration hated jimbi back. Is agent Jimmy Sexton was constantly having his name come up in coaching searches every year to leverage a raise. Jimbo was a top 5 paid coach at fsu yet he never seemed satisfied. He actually was right about the current arms race but fsu isnt tamu and cant just give him a blank check. Once the chinks in the armor showed he bailed

Part of getting him to fsu as the offensive coordinator was giving him the coach in waiting title. Nobody knew exactly when bobby was gonna retire but it could only be a few years before jimbo would become the head coach. While at fsu jimbos wife was cheating on him. There are crazy rumors in Tally about who with. Jimbo looked tired and drunk half the time. He hated doing the stuff that coaches have to do like make booster appearances. In turn the boosters and administration hated jimbi back. Is agent Jimmy Sexton was constantly having his name come up in coaching searches every year to leverage a raise. Jimbo was a top 5 paid coach at fsu yet he never seemed satisfied. He actually was right about the current arms race but fsu isnt tamu and cant just give him a blank check. Once the chinks in the armor showed he bailed
Interesting info. Had not heard part of it before.

20091201-20091202-C03-SP02-FBCBOWDENp1.jpg

Play anyone anytime

It was hard to get teams to come to Tall. In 1981 they played five straight road games: ohio state Norte dame Nebraska LSU and Pitt (a natl power in that era) won three of the five iirc
If i remember correctly he had wins vacated? I hope they give them back.

If i remember correctly he had wins vacated? I hope they give them back.
Could be wrong but I think there were a seasons worth , perhaps hpnole could shed some light on this, but at some point there were some violations re an online music class some of the players were taking

Sounds familiar. They should have hired the same law firm as unc cheater did. OFC
If i remember correctly fsu self imposed a bunch of penalties. Cant remember if the wins were part of that. Fsu doesnt have nearly as deep of pockets as unc

I think the issue with the class was the were just recycling exams from previous years so the student athletes basically knew they were getting 1 of 2 or 3 of tests thay they knew the answers to. I was a lowly division 1 baseball player and i def had access to tests before they were given.

When I was in college, exams from earlier years were available. Professors recirculated the same questions. I had one professor for many classes. His multiple choice questions always were exactly the same: B, D ,A, C, C, A, B,D... I kind of stumbled upon the code. It was comforting when choosing between a couple of answers

Sounds familiar. They should have hired the same law firm as unc cheater did. OFC
Again, correct me if I am wrong, but, those vacated wins put Peterno ahead of him in wins. The whole thing stunk. Because of some players breaking rules, they had to sit those players , and lost a bowl game, vacated wins, etc. Then the Holes got caught for 18 years cheating -the whole damned school, and nothing happened. There was talk on the FSU site, about suing the NCAA to get the wins back, but nothing ever happened.

Reactions: skysdad
Fortunate years ago to get to see him and his son Tommy speak at an FCA dinner in Greensboro. Bobby told about the time Tommy played for him. He never played. In the stands his wife and sister in law started chanting “We want Tommy.” Soon the entire section was chanting.
Bobby said “I motioned Tommy to come to me. He grabbed his helmet, and ran to me. Yeah dad, Tommy said. How about running up in the stands and see what your mom and aunt need.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT