ADVERTISEMENT

Beach reading

I like to renew this thread when the season is over.

Someone once recommended the Joe Pickett series by C. J. Box. I have become a big fan even though I have no experience or real interest in the back woods of Wyoming. Now there is a series I think on Prime called Joe Pickett based on the books. I'm going to have to check it out.

I've really been enjoying books by Daniel Silva that feature the pretend head of Mossad named Gabriel Allon. Great spy novels focused on fighting terrorist cells throughout the world. Great reading.
check out Paul Doiron. His protagonist is a game warden in Maine. His books are great page turners. Perfect for the beach!

check out Paul Doiron. His protagonist is a game warden in Maine. His books are great page turners. Perfect for the beach!
Thanks. I desperately need a new author. There are a million books to choose from, but habits are hard to break.

No Grizzlies in Maine. Sounds better than Wyoming. Also not 7,000 feet above sea level

Reactions: Liftee
Reading does not interest me at all. I have never really cared for it. I have probably ready maybe 5 books my entire life that I didn’t HAVE to read. The last book I read was the one that @Willcampbell wife wrote about their dog. I did enjoy that one, but reading just isn’t my thing. I’d rather wait for the movie!
Are you sure you are not a UNC grad???? :p

I'm off to the used book store tomorrow. I'll pick up two Daniel Silvas.

In the last cj box book that I read, Game Warden Joe Pickett had to recover the body of a guide mauled by a grizzly. The bear was guarding the body so she and her cubs would have lunch tomorrow. No thank you

I'm finishing up THE FINAL DETAIL by Harlan Coben as I type. He has great ideas but I don't think that he uses an outline. His books take unnecessary turns at the end. Only a quarter at the used book store. The fictional main character is Myron Bolitar, a Duke basketball All American turned sports agent .
Read a lot of Coben, particularly when he was writing sports theme mysteries at outset of his career. OFC

Boy those Grizzlies really shook you didn't they!
Probably more than I realized. I was camping in the Sierra Nevadas several years ago walking down a path with my niece. A giant bear stumbled out of the underbrush and was running straight toward us. There are no Grizzlies in that area, but the bear was huge and brownish yellow fur and I have a pretty good imagination... He veered off about 30 yards away. Probably only ran at us for 5 seconds, but it did shake me up

Reactions: Liftee
I think I put these on here years ago but CJ Box- joe pickett is a good series!

Going back to Harlan Coben, I always felt that his main character who was a former player living in New Jersey was patterned after Spanarkel. I may be reading too much into it though. I know Coben is from New Jersey.

I had somewhat recently read the Jack Carr (James Reece) books. Loved them. The 5th and final is to be mailed to my house later this month. I plan to read it on my flight to South Africa next month.

Going back to Harlan Coben, I always felt that his main character who was a former player living in New Jersey was patterned after Spanarkel. I may be reading too much into it though. I know Coben is from New Jersey.
One of the problems I have with Coben's Myron Bolitar character is that it doesn't feel like he really played for Duke. No recall of games played or going to Durham to search for clues.

It would be nice to feel that he was patterned after a player like Spanarkel. We know that he is tall, perhaps 6'7" and Jewish .

I enjoyed watching Spanarkel very much. He appeared to relish playing in games. There's one particular play that sticks in my head. Mike O'Koren was stalling the game a bit 35 feet from the basket guarded by Spanarkel. O'Koren laughed and Spanarkel smiled. They both talked about the moment after the game. They were friends and teammates at Hudson Catholic in Jersey City appreciating playing against each other

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT