ADVERTISEMENT

Beach reading

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
Okay folks, I assume everyone is out there reading something! What’s on the docket for you?

I just finished the Saxon Tales series for like the tenth time... the Cornwell series about Alfred the Great and the formation of England, although very comic booky in feel... something about rereading a series like that is super satisfying. Just finishing “Legion vs Phalanx,” an analysis of the two dominant military formations of the time and some primary battles they engaged in. It’s okay, first half is better than the second. Halfway through “Touching the Dragon,” a book by a SEAL who was badly wounded and a look at the psychological journey back. Half the book is about his mental breakdown and recovery. Very different than “The Heart and the Fist” or “No Easy Day” or “The Operator”... a little bit more like “American Sniper” although with a lot less focus on in theater stuff. (Yes, there is a pattern to what I read:) )

So what about everyone else? Any good summer reading? Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeDenver
I read a bunch of American history written in narrative form. I get sucked into thinking about life before modern technology. It’s hard to imagine why humans acted the way they did. After reading a few hundred pages of a certain era, I start understanding why people did the things they did, e.g., sail for months with just the stars, willingly stand in front of enemy fire, etc.

I read a bunch of American history written in narrative form. I get sucked into thinking about life before modern technology. It’s hard to imagine why humans acted the way they did. After reading a few hundred pages of a certain era, I start understanding why people did the things they did, e.g., sail for months with just the stars, willingly stand in front of enemy fire, etc.

Sitting at the beach now, and I cannot imagine the idea of just getting onto a boat without modern technology and going to England. Like… what?! How the hell did they do it?

I like Flynn. I'll try Daniel Silva, always looking for a recommendation. Also like John Sandford. Good stories and good sense of humor.
John Sanford is great. Love his Lucas and Virgil books.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.
roughly 1860-1930
Historical fiction that details a forgotten chapter of Amer. history when thousands of abandoned children from the East Coast were sent to the Midwest to work on farms. Some ended up in loving homes, most probably did not. Story of resilience and courage, my mom passed it along to me, normally I read mindless thriller stuff, occasionally reach upward.

Reactions: Willcampbell
I don't remember how I found the Sandford books but I love his characters. I'd like to hang out with Virgil Flowers even if I am an old guy!

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.
roughly 1860-1930
Historical fiction that details a forgotten chapter of Amer. history when thousands of abandoned children from the East Coast were sent to the Midwest to work on farms. Some ended up in loving homes, most probably did not. Story of resilience and courage, my mom passed it along to me, normally I read mindless thriller stuff, occasionally reach upward.

Woof. Heavy shit!

I like Flynn. I'll try Daniel Silva, always looking for a recommendation. Also like John Sandford. Good stories and good sense of humor.

If you guys like these, check out the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. I cannot recommend these books enough. I've read Flynn, Child, Thor, Silva, etc. They're all solid too but I'd put the John Rain character above Rapp, Harvath, Reacher... all of them. And that's no knock on those characters, they're all great.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
If you guys like these, check out the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. I cannot recommend these books enough. I've read Flynn, Child, Thor, Silva, etc. They're all solid too but I'd put the John Rain character above Rapp, Harvath, Reacher... all of them. And that's no knock on those characters, they're all great.

Thanks! I didn't join here to be part of a Book Club, but this is useful stuff!

Also David Baldacci. I don't consider him a great writer, but his John Carr series is pretty good.

I don’t know any of these authors... what sorts of books do they write? They like a Clancy or a Grisham?

Each one has its own characters and style. Mitch Rapp is the loner assassin. Sandford takes place in Minnesota (and yet no Tre or Tyus Jones yet!) and is kind of funny. Baldacci, similar to Flynn. I'm sure others can add more.

Break it down for us - fiction or non-fiction? Crime? Mystery? Romance :)? What are your areas of interest? I read mostly business and psychology, a bit heavy but very interesting...everything from Rise of the Robots by Martin Ford ( a dystopian look at tech and the future) to anything Simon Sinek writes...personal philosophy. So depends on your preference for recommendations

Also David Baldacci. I don't consider him a great writer, but his John Carr series is pretty good.

Yep... read a lot of Baldacci. King & Maxwell series is my favorite, and my favorite of that series is Simple Genius. One ripping good yarn!

A few years ago I went through a number of Robert Ludlum books. They were all great. To me he's about as good a combination as I've come across in terms of riveting storytelling and outstanding writing (prose).

If I had to pick one, check out The Bancroft Strategy (published posthumously). That book is one of my all-time favorites, although the end was a stretch even by suspension of disbelief standards.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
I have to read all day at work so I tend to avoid it. When I want to dive into a novel I check out Gary’s posts on THR.

In all seriousness, I like Robert Ludlum.

A few years ago I went through a number of Robert Ludlum books. They were all great. To me he's about as good a combination as I've come across in terms of riveting storytelling and outstanding writing (prose).

If I had to pick one, check out The Bancroft Strategy (published posthumously). That book is one of my all-time favorites, although the end was a stretch even by suspension of disbelief standards.
The Aquitaine Progression is one of my favorite books.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
I just moved my fam to the beach - South FL and if I get anywhere near the water its going to be with an 11'rod and thick braided line hoping to hook jaws.

I'll check him out thanks

Carl Hiaasen; "The Downhill Lie" at present. Its hilarious about a middleaged hacker trying to make a comeback on the links.

Also enjoy mystery authors Stuart Woods and the late Robert B. Parker....Others are writing Parker's books now, same characters, same solid writing.

OFC

Reactions: bobcrane14
James Patterson is another good one. Those that like golf will really enjoy “Miracle on the 19th green.”

Reactions: hart2chesson
What a span of reading we do! From history to Hemingway to Christie to Patterson!

How about Michael Connolly? I've read every one of his Bosch series.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT