ADVERTISEMENT

Beach reading

Been getting Into historical fiction lately. Beneath a Scarlet Sky-WWII Italy was fantastic. Actually, that was a true story.

Those Who Save Us was very good and Kings of Broken Things-about baseball, immigration in the early 1900s, race, and politics was very interesting.

Love Clancy, Ludlum, and Koontz.

Reading does not interest me at all. I have never really cared for it. I have probably ready maybe 5 books my entire life that I didn’t HAVE to read. The last book I read was the one that @Willcampbell wife wrote about their dog. I did enjoy that one, but reading just isn’t my thing. I’d rather wait for the movie!

I do not do light beach reading. I just finished James Joyce's Ulysses and have just begun Kierkeggard's Edifying Discourses in Diverse Spirits.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm reading Ben Bova's Mars on my Kindle.

Been getting Into historical fiction lately. Beneath a Scarlet Sky-WWII Italy was fantastic. Actually, that was a true story.

Those Who Save Us was very good and Kings of Broken Things-about baseball, immigration in the early 1900s, race, and politics was very interesting.

If you like historical fiction,try Conn Iggulden,has a great series about Genghis Kahn

I do not do light beach reading. I just finished James Joyce's Ulysses and have just begun Kierkeggard's Edifying Discourses in Diverse Spirits.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm reading Ben Bova's Mars on my Kindle.

You had me scratching my head there for a minute.

Been lurking for a long time. Was on the board until 2AM during the H. Barnes fiasco. The reading list caught my attention: John Rain is a black mamba. Harry Bosch is a great character. Daniel Silva’s earlier works are best. Don’t miss Robert Craig’s with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. Pike is the an intriguing guy. CJ Box was good early. For the heavy reading highly recommend The Overstory which won the 2019 Pulitzer, the best I have read in years. Tom McGuane “The Longest Silence” for fishing and Jim Harrison who wrote the book and screenplay for Legends of the Fall. Looking forward to a Final Four this year.

I read a lot,mostly mindless fiction,Vince Flynn,Daniel Silva,Wilbur Smith,Lee Child and Karin Slaughter are among my favorites
Lee Child, James Patterson, John Grisham. Oops didn't mean to ruin the narrative bout UK fans and education lol ;)

Damn JC, I didnt know Grisham and Child started copycatting Patterson and started writing kids books too.

you guys are insane. For me beach reading is Jaws or Harry Potter or Star Wars. ;)

We have wonderful libraries in this beautiful state. My favorite library burned down. Burned all 3 books. Sad part was, 2 of them hadn't been colored in
You mean they allow you to use crayons? Dangerous

Reactions: JC CATS
I just finished a book that I have to share with you guys. Ghostman by Roger Hobbs. I listened to the audio book which had a great narrator. It's a riveting book by a young author who met a tragic early death. Can't recommend it more.

A couple years ago, we had an off season topic on books people were reading. Someone recommended C. J. Box. He writes about crime in wide open states like Wyoming. I took out one of his audio books from the library.
I have no interest in a game warden in Wyoming, one of his main characters, but the writing is great. Whoever recommended this writer, I just want to thank you.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Love Ludlum. Favorite was Bourne Identity. Also love Koontz. The Others, Odd Thomas, Frankenstein series, and many more.
Last couple of years been getting into Historical Fiction. Those Who Save Us, The Nightingale, were great. WWII.
Non fiction, Beneath a Scarlet Sky is fantastic. True story about WWII Italy, but reads like a Clancy or Ludlum book. Also liked Coffin Corner Boys (WWII bomber crews)

A few years ago I went through a number of Robert Ludlum books. They were all great. To me he's about as good a combination as I've come across in terms of riveting storytelling and outstanding writing (prose).

If I had to pick one, check out The Bancroft Strategy (published posthumously). That book is one of my all-time favorites, although the end was a stretch even by suspension of disbelief standards.
I read a lot of his many decades ago. These 3 stood out

Bourne Identity
Matarese Circle
Parsifal Mosaic

Reactions: bullettoothtony
Reading does not interest me at all. I have never really cared for it. I have probably ready maybe 5 books my entire life that I didn’t HAVE to read. The last book I read was the one that @Willcampbell wife wrote about their dog. I did enjoy that one, but reading just isn’t my thing. I’d rather wait for the movie!
If you are serious, I suggest giving audiobooks a try. The Audible free trial is an easy way to get started. You can also get audiobooks from most public libraries, if you don't want to spend money.

As mentioned above, all of the Michael Connelley books are incredible. Read them in order. They're great if you don't, but the 35 books build on each other. For beach or airplane reading, all of the Michael Crichton books are good. John Grisham's best work by far is " A Painted House ". It's not about lawyers. It's about sharecroppers growing cotton in Arkansas in the 1950s.

Sitting at the beach now, and I cannot imagine the idea of just getting onto a boat without modern technology and going to England. Like… what?! How the hell did they do it?
Always marvel when traveling through the mountains about how tough and resourceful the settlers were when they climbed these mountains by foot.

They had to be better at certain things, so, many were. Those who weren't just got plain lucky or died.
Still crazy though.

That f ing Flowers
Harlan Coben In the Myron bolitar series title character is a lawyer/mostly sports agent who was a basketball star at Duke in the early 90s drafted by the Celtics but suffered a career ending injury prior to his rookie season. The non Bolitar books are just as good if not better IMO pace and plot moves along nicely, perfect for beach read even after a few cocktails or whisky sours. Well written but not pretentious

Harlan Coben In the Myron bolitar series title character is a lawyer/mostly sports agent who was a basketball star at Duke in the early 90s drafted by the Celtics but suffered a career ending injury prior to his rookie season. The non Bolitar books are just as good if not better IMO pace and plot moves along nicely, perfect for beach read even after a few cocktails or whisky sours. Well written but not pretentious
I absolutely love his books. Really easy reading and they grab you immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE and Liftee
I read the Girl With the Dragon tattoo books when I had a broken toe. I would also rec. Skeleton Crew a collection of Stephen King stories from his early 80s peak years. Any King novel from 75 to 86, Carrie to It, is going to be great.

Last edited:
For spy fiction I'm going back through the Le Carre books (admittedly on audio books) and a guy named Alan Furst who wrote historical spy novels mainly based in Europe during World War II. He talks a lot about the French resistance. The great thing about these historical novels is it makes me curious about time periods I never knew much about. It's never too late to learn!

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Multiple award-winning novelest best known for his mysteries (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone...), this is brilliant historical fiction.

Set circa WWI, this novel has everything from Babe Ruth to anarchists to the molasses disaster of 1919 to the Tulsa massacre of 1921. And Lehane can write.

Last edited:
If you are a Seinfeld fan I would suggest Is This Anything. I'm reading it right now and my kids look at me like I've lost my mind when I just bust out laughing.

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Multiple award-winning novelest best known for his mysteries (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone...), this is brilliant historical fiction.

Set circa WWI, this novel has everything from Babe Ruth to anarchists to the molasses disaster of 1919 to the Tulsa massacre of 2021. And Lehane can write.
I picked up a few Dennis Lehane books. The first was fabulous. The second was terrible. I look forward to breaking the tie. I do appreciate the recommendation. ( I suspect that it wasn't awful. I was just amazed that it wasn't interesting at all to me after finishing the first one in a day)

Check out Barry Eisler's John Rain series. Rain is probably the most interesting character I've come across... an exceptionally intelligent but utterly ruthless assassin.

All the books in the series are excellent. Perfect beach reading.

I like to renew this thread when the season is over.

Someone once recommended the Joe Pickett series by C. J. Box. I have become a big fan even though I have no experience or real interest in the back woods of Wyoming. Now there is a series I think on Prime called Joe Pickett based on the books. I'm going to have to check it out.

I've really been enjoying books by Daniel Silva that feature the pretend head of Mossad named Gabriel Allon. Great spy novels focused on fighting terrorist cells throughout the world. Great reading.

I like to renew this thread when the season is over.

Someone once recommended the Joe Pickett series by C. J. Box. I have become a big fan even though I have no experience or real interest in the back woods of Wyoming. Now there is a series I think on Prime called Joe Pickett based on the books. I'm going to have to check it out.

I've really been enjoying books by Daniel Silva that feature the pretend head of Mossad named Gabriel Allon. Great spy novels focused on fighting terrorist cells throughout the world. Great reading.
I'm off to the used book store tomorrow. I'll pick up two Daniel Silvas.

In the last cj box book that I read, Game Warden Joe Pickett had to recover the body of a guide mauled by a grizzly. The bear was guarding the body so she and her cubs would have lunch tomorrow. No thank you

I'm finishing up THE FINAL DETAIL by Harlan Coben as I type. He has great ideas but I don't think that he uses an outline. His books take unnecessary turns at the end. Only a quarter at the used book store. The fictional main character is Myron Bolitar, a Duke basketball All American turned sports agent .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT