ADVERTISEMENT

At the end of the regular season, how does...

Duke's record stand compared to what you expected before the season started?

• Total voters

LetsGoDuke301

Cameron Crazy
Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Face value, not anything to do who they beat or who they lost to.

I am going with better than I expected. I really didn't have any crazy expectations and actually expected them to struggle more often than they did.

The good. - They swept unc. That's always good.

The bad. - They have a couple of really bad losses and some defensive struggles that are typically indicative of early exits.

The unexpected. - J Rob. His performance isn't as unexpected as his opportunity. This has to be one of the more suprising moves from K's career if he continues to get significant minutes.

I am going into tournament season with realistic expectations of 2 ACCT wins and a sweet sixteen trip. Would not be surprised if it was more or less. Let's just not lose our collective minds if it doesn't work out. This is a good team that can play great. Let's just see where they go.

Reactions: YNWA196
Better than expected! At the beginning of the season, I honestly thought we might have 8-9 or losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavar5150
I’d go with right where I expected being 6 losses. I would have thought things to go much differently though. Would have predicted our young team to lose some games early (definitely Kansas and at MSU) but that we would get better throughout the year.

Not saying we haven’t improved, we have. But we did not take advantage of a historically weak ACC and also having a favorable home/road ACC schedule. I thought we would, 17-3 seemed like a fair number for this team given our schedule IMO.

I am going with better than I expected. I really didn't have any crazy expectations and actually expected them to struggle more often than they did.

The bad. - They have a couple of really bad losses and some defensive struggles that are typically indicative of early exits.

The unexpected. - J Rob. His performance isn't as unexpected as his opportunity. This has to be one of the more suprising moves from K's career if he continues to get significant minutes.

I am going into tournament season with realistic expectations of 2 ACCT wins and a sweet sixteen trip. Would not be surprised if it was more or less. Let's just not lose our collective minds if it doesn't work out. This is a good team that can play great. Let's just see where they go.
Also the good- Duke beat a great Kansas team albeit at the beginning of the season, but nevertheless when u look at Kansas record, one of their three losses is to us. Beat a top ten Florida State team and beat at the time a good Michigan State team on the road. Also setting a record of beating 5 ACC teams by 30 or more was really cool. Having the ACC freshmen player of the year, conference player of the year and defensive player of the year is really cool. Remained in the top ten pretty much all year except these past two weeks in which we were still in the top 15. Being number one in the country for a brief stint was something I wasn’t expecting at all this season so that was good. All in all in what was supposed to be a down year, I’ll certainly take what Duke accomplished this season. Hopefully we can accomplish more in the post season, but that’s wait and see though.

Reactions: Quavarius
I’d go with right where I expected being 6 losses. I would have thought things to go much differently though. Would have predicted our young team to lose some games early (definitely Kansas and at MSU) but that we would get better throughout the year.

Not saying we haven’t improved, we have. But we did not take advantage of a historically weak ACC and also having a favorable home/road ACC schedule. I thought we would, 17-3 seemed like a fair number for this team given our schedule IMO.
Good points. This years down ACC and our favorable schedule in conference should have meant regular season title. Going to have to have some strong tourney runs to have something to be really proud of this year.

Reactions: jwill133

Yea no doubt. At the beginning of conference play, I thought there was a great chance to come out of the conference season with three losses at the most given how the team had been playing at that point. NC State and Wake game took a bit of the air out, but all in all I am pleased with how the season went. Could have been worse.

Been a fun season so far,aside from a couple head scratching losses5-6 losses for any team that's freshmen top heavy is to be expected,now on to the good stuff!

I expected a 13-7 or 14-6 conference record in the ACC and an overall record of 23-8 or 24-7. So this is slightly better than expected. The whipping we took at Moo U and the losses at Wake and Clemson bothered me. Louisville at home bothered me because of the effort in the first half. I thought we played into UVA's game there and still fought to have a chance to win. If Vern goes straight up we are at worst looking at two shots there. But, you learn from it and move forward. Plus, Louisville and UVA are teams that are capable of going deep in both tournaments, so those are losses I can take. The loss at home to SFA stings, but a little less when you look at what that SFA team has done since then. They're good enough to pull off a couple of upsets in the tourney and make the sweet sixteen as a 12 seed I think. Overall, this has been a fun regular season. Early wins in the champions classic against Kansas and then beating MSU at their place definitely had me riding high. Finally winning one in Blacksburg. That early preseason tourney win against Georgetown. The whipping we put on Notre Dame during the 7 game win streak. The comeback at the nose dome and then the turnaround win against Florida State really impressed me. Obviously, sweeping Carolina and controlling that final home game from the opening tip to the sound of the final horn is awesome. But for me, it's gotta be seeing this team come together through all the adversity and JRob's late season emergence that has been the best part of the season. Coach K, in my opinion, has really had one of his better year's. With all the different line ups, sets, and moves he and the coaching staff have made makes me feel like this team has really started to come alive finally. I credit the coaching and JRob's energy with being a big part of that. Moving forward, I am excited to see where it takes us. Look, I am a realist, I think this team has a ceiling of possibly winning the ACC and a sweet sixteen or elite eight finish in the tournament. Definitely believe they can get to the final four and win a chip with the right match ups. But, they've gotta bring it from start to finish, like Saturday, or it's an early exit in both postseason tournaments. Here's to hoping we get another few banners in March!

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Before the season: as expected
After the SFA loss: better than expected
Before the Clemson and Louisville losses: worse than expected
After the FSU win: worse than expected

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, the Wake loss is the one that really stings - both because of the competition and because it cost Duke a share of the ACC regular season crown. The only other loss to a non-tournament team is the loss @ Clemson, and that isn't so bad: they beat Louisville and FSU at home as well, and should have won more games than they did. The SFA loss stung at the time because it ended an impressive streak, but that team is now 28-3 and going to be a real problem for someone in the NCAAT. To me, Wake is the only really legitimately bad loss. Yes, Duke was favored in other games they lost, but that is the one that has bumped them down a seed line.

As far as overall record, I think they are around where I would have predicted.

Reactions: jwill133 and hpnole
Definitely worse than I expected, but is playing close to a complete game against UNC makes me a lot more hopeful than I was just a week ago.

This is kind of a tough one. On one hand, I thought there were going to be times this year where we struggled. On the other, going into conference play we looked pretty good.

I guessed two losses pre-conference, and four in ACC play. So by losses alone, it's about where I expected. That said, I had hoped we'd be a little farther along by this point. I think we're a dangerous team in more ways than....both good and bad. That scare me a little.

The record is very respectable. The problem is we start out strong every season, then either flatline, or regress. This team hit that lull at a time of year where you don’t want to.
We will see how it plays out for this team. Their story isn’t done yet.

I’d say the record was about as expected, but the way they lost a few of them was not.

I didn’t expect us to be this good with the guys we had coming in. Even with Tre coming back, I didn’t think they would gel as fast as they did, and despite a couple of tough stretches during the season, they have shown an extremely high level of play, at times, this year. So, I am hopeful and excited for tourney time!

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I thought we might lose about seven games with one against the cheating heels. I didn't expect Clem., SFA or WF. I thought we would beat UL at home and actually thought NCSU would not be a problem. I thought we would lose to Kansas and UVA could go either way. In the end we did control our own destiny. Upsets with UL and FSU by other teams opened the door for us but somehow we let NCSU snd WF beat us and we the door closed. Got a lot of faith in this team. If we play the ACC tourney like we did agains the last NCSU and unc cheater u game we will win the ACC tourney. cole anthony may think they are the team no one wants to play in the tourney but if the truth be known the heels don't want anymore of Duke this year. OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
I'd say right on par of what I expected. I really figured 5 to 7 Conference losses and of course to Kansas and MSU so beating those two really got my hopes up, Did not see the SFA loss but no ACC loss really surprised me. Overall these guys were fun to watch and really impressed me. Proud of the season we've had so far!

I thought we would lose 3or 4 acc games but of course no one knew how bad Cheaters University at Chapel Hill would be. I figured we would split with The Cheaters, split with FSU and Louisville and NC State. Still cant get over the WF loss.

Duke was favored in every single ACC game by more than 5 points other than @ UVA which we were 3.5 point favorites...that is insane and speaks to how bad the ACC is.

Imagine thinking this...we beat Kansas, we won at MSU, we won our November tournament, we swept UNCheat, we don't play at the 2 other best ACC teams...how the heck do we lose 6 games???

If we get a bad draw and get bounced in the Sweet16/Elite8 game based off of matchups, we got no one but ourselves to blame. That Wake loss was so bad, one of the worst Duke losses I can remember. Not only were we up 9 with less than 2 minutes to go, not only is Wake terrible, but the NCAA/ACC rolled out the red carpet for Duke to be a #1-seed and win the league. I can accept all of our other losses, even SFA, the Wake loss I'll never get over, unless we win #6.

DM me. Let’s figure out how to get you back up and running.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
DM me. Let’s figure out how to get you back up and running.
An earlier response. Copy an paste to the national board, if you want.
Whatever reason, I can't access the national board when signed in. I will eventually just start a new account, but been crazy busy lately and I was gone on vacation for a couple of weeks in January. Plus I am kind of irritated with Yahoo. They charged me a full year's subscription and I had only used 3 months of it. They are refusing to refund me and they haven't done a thing to fix the issue.

Also, reading some of the threads over there isn't really motivating me to start getting into those pissing matches. Afamu repping hard.

Like I said, I will eventually just start a new account. Just not much motivation to do so right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT