ADVERTISEMENT

2015 class

Chis-nives

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 7, 2008
Cook- graduating
Okafor- declared
Jones- setting up meetings with agents, hasn't officially declared but that is a clear indication of where his head is at
Winslow- can't see him staying when he should be the first small forward picked (could go high as 3, should definitely be top 5)

1. C 40 Marshall Plumlee (Redshirt Senior)
2. PF 21 Amile Jefferson (Senior)
3. SG/SF 13 Matt Jones (Junior)
4. C/PF 34 Sean Obi (Redshirt Sophomore)
5. PG/SG 3 Grayson Allen (Sophomore)

Commits
6. PG/SG Luke Kennard (Freshman)
7. PF/C Chase Jeter (Freshman)

Prospects
8. SF Brandon Ingram (Freshman)- This seems like the guy to replace Winslow in our starting lineup. He's really improved lately and I thought he really played well in the burger boys game.
9. PF/C Caleb Swanigan (Freshman)- I think we got in a little too late with him. There's a lot of schools involved but even with multiple roster spots open there's a bit of a log jam at the four and five. We have a two deep already, and if we add Ingram he's another guy who could play the three and the four (much like Winslow). If he was okay with sitting a year, he would come into playing time just because Jefferson and Plumlee will be graduating, but I don't think he's up for that.
10. PG Derryck Thornton (Freshman)- is leaning towards reclassifying in this class. Duke/UL battle but with Tyus leaving he would be given the reins from day one.

I think we'll sign Ingram and Thornton and put a bow on this class. The following year could be a class much like our 2014 class (Tatum/Giles/Smith)

Antonio Vranovic (sp) is another name, but he would likely redshirt.

I still think Duke looks at the graduate transfer route for more depth. I don't see Duke going into the 15-16 campaign with just nine scholarship players.

Isn't Robinson's kid coming next year too? I think he's a "preferred walkon", whatever that means. I feel like maybe Melchionni did the same thing and over time became a contributor.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure Melchionni was actually a pretty highly-regarded prospect (like top 150) who had scholarship offers from a number of D-1 schools, and came with the understanding that he'd be given a scholarship as a soph. (i.e., once we had a free scholarship to give). While K was partly doing a favor for Melchionni's dad, it wasn't really a surprised that he eventually worked himself into being a contributor.

Genetic pedigree notwithstanding, I don't think Justin Robinson is really on the same level. I obviously think he can help as a practice player and who knows if maybe he can do something 3-4 years down the road (he's supposedly 6'7 and related to David Robinson), but I don't think he's anywhere close to being able to help us in the short term.

This post was edited on 4/10 2:51 PM by aah555

Get Thornton and Ingram and we have a pretty good recruiting class and a pretty good basketball team next year. Swanigan would have been nice but I like what we've got with Plumlee, Obi, Jefferson, and Jeter.

In the early 2000's they had this weird 5/8 rule. You could only sign 5 scholarship players from one class - and the max allowed over two years was 8 scholarship signees. That rule was later rescinded, and thankfully it was. It's kind of cumbersome rule when a lot of elite teams have a high turnover in players. Williams, Redick, Randolph, Dockery, Thompson were the 5 signees that already made the class of 2002 and Melchionni received a scholarship the following year.

Most of the public rumblings out there would seem to suggest Ingram to Duke, but I have personally never felt comfortable about going head-to-head with UNC for in-state recruits who wouldn't necessarily be predisposed to attend Duke for its academics (i.e., not a Ryan Kelly-type) just b/c there's inevitably going to be so many people in the kid's ear (including maybe parents) trying to push him in that direction. If Ingram was from anywhere other than NC, I'd feel very confident about our chances based on what I've read. However, when you combine that with the fact that Ingram's basically already admitted that he would have committed to UNC if he had signed in the early period, I just think Roy will eventually figure out a way to convince him to sign --- even if, down the road, Ingram learns that there isn't enough playing time for all or if the NCAA (or UNC ala Syracuse) drops the guillotine down on the program before next March. I'm sure Roy will probably say something like it's impossible to know, but this sort of thing drags on for years and we're now more than 3 years into the process - no reason to think anything would happen while you're here.

Originally posted by LetsGoDukies:
Swanigan is announcing his decision at 6pm today. All signs point to Cal.
Thanks for the intel.

Originally posted by Chis-nives:

Cook- graduating
Okafor- declared
Jones- setting up meetings with agents, hasn't officially declared but that is a clear indication of where his head is at
Winslow- can't see him staying when he should be the first small forward picked (could go high as 3, should definitely be top 5)

1. C 40 Marshall Plumlee (Redshirt Senior)
2. PF 21 Amile Jefferson (Senior)
3. SG/SF 13 Matt Jones (Junior)
4. C/PF 34 Sean Obi (Redshirt Sophomore)
5. PG/SG 3 Grayson Allen (Sophomore)

Commits
6. PG/SG Luke Kennard (Freshman)
7. PF/C Chase Jeter (Freshman)

Prospects
8. SF Brandon Ingram (Freshman)- This seems like the guy to replace Winslow in our starting lineup. He's really improved lately and I thought he really played well in the burger boys game.
9. PF/C Caleb Swanigan (Freshman)- I think we got in a little too late with him. There's a lot of schools involved but even with multiple roster spots open there's a bit of a log jam at the four and five. We have a two deep already, and if we add Ingram he's another guy who could play the three and the four (much like Winslow). If he was okay with sitting a year, he would come into playing time just because Jefferson and Plumlee will be graduating, but I don't think he's up for that.
10. PG Derryck Thornton (Freshman)- is leaning towards reclassifying in this class. Duke/UL battle but with Tyus leaving he would be given the reins from day one.

I think we'll sign Ingram and Thornton and put a bow on this class. The following year could be a class much like our 2014 class (Tatum/Giles/Smith)
Is there really a chance for that? WOWZers if true

Well, we can cross off Swanigan, he committed to Michigan State. I actually thought that was where he was going from the start. Like he said, and I quote "Once a Spartan, always a Spartan". To me, he just didn't have that Duke look. Anyway, I like the 4 we have, plus the 2 coming in.
Not sure if Thornton is going to reclassify to 2015 or not, and even then, we would need to beat out Louisville, which also wants him to do the same. If he does reclassify, I really like our chances.
Not sure about Ingram, still have a feeling he is North Carolinas to lose. I believe we will find out shortly after Justise declares for the draft.
Either way, you know "K" is on top of this.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Some interesting stuff in this interview/article on Kennard and the Tyus decision.

- Kennard pretty honest that "It kind of stinks..." the 3 freshman are declaring. I agree, but wasn't sure he would be so honest about it.

- Tells SNY.tv that Jon Scheyer reached out and told him to "keep working on that ball-handling" in preparation to play some point.

- He and Jeter are working hard to make up for missing on Swanigan by recruiting even harder for Ingram to join them next year.

*Apologies if this article/interview has been posted elsewhere and I missed it*

Jordan Brand Classic Interview with Kennard

The recruits will come, that is just how it goes at Duke. My advice to Luke would be to buy in to the program and dedicate yourself to improving each and every day. We may or may not have a championship caliber team next year, but I think we will have the guys by 2016 and Luke will be a major part of that if he does what he needs to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT