ADVERTISEMENT

Zion is officially out for UNC game

I think one of the things we may be overlooking that is factoring into the decision is Zion’s size and the explosive way he plays. With it being a knee and Zion being 285 and given how how often he’s jumping 3 feet off the ground, he’s more likely to aggravate a non-100% injury.

It’s on to the next. I don’t think Zion returns until the NCAA tourney.

The ACC won’t be a cake walk with three games back to back if he did return he’ll be limited. I really hope it’s about his confidence in playing yet Marvin just went down with the same injury and had the same one in college and only missed two weeks.

If this Duke team didn’t get up against Wake at home on senior night I truly don’t see them getting up against UNC at their home on their senior night but I hope I’m wrong

We win and Joey Baker gets 30. I'd love to read this board tomm. if that happened.
He’d have to see the court first and if the staff was worried about bringing Zion back for this game I suspect they would be worried about Joey performing in only his third College game.

Reactions: christophero
Last game in Cameron was only 30 seconds of play before an injury in a game many consider to be the funnest game in college basketball. And he never really gets to experience the Duke and UNC rivalry. If you all think you're more bummed than he is, you're crazy.

What does that matter? Does my opinion carry more weight if I post more? Don’t be so arrogant. I have a write up I am doing to recap an amazing trip I had to Cameron for the UNC game. Unfortunately, I had some really personal issues come up with my family that has had me MIA. I had intended to post more often so guys like you would respect me. Smh.

Hmmmm did you attend Elon?

I am missing the Elon jokes, but probably won’t get a reasonable response/explanation. Sorry for posting my conspiracy theory regarding MY thought on Zion. And the audacity to do it with my 13th post. My bad.

I am missing the Elon jokes, but probably won’t get a reasonable response/explanation. Sorry for posting my conspiracy theory regarding MY thought on Zion. And the audacity to do it with my 13th post. My bad.

Don’t sweat the petty! Pet the sweaty!!
This board is full of sanctimonious high horse fan boys. apparently, there’s an eligibility process that one needs to meet in order to post an adverse opinion as to not upset the echo chamber.

Listen up Peeps that are convinced that Zion's missing these games means that he's not playing in the ACC or NCAA Tournaments; the reason K is keeping him out of these games IS BECAUSE OF THE TOURNEY'S.

As far on the side of insanely frustrating this is for Duke fans, it's just as far on the side of a smart move for the team's chances of winning the National Championship.

Who ever remembers or cares about ANY games during the regular season when we have won the National Championship?! As bad as we wanna pound the shit outta those baby blue cheating assholes, anyone of us will gladly take a loss(or a sweep) if it means we win the Title.

Thank goodness Coach K doesn't make emotional decisions and is ALWAYS level headed and on the side of caution when deciding when to bring kids back, as maddening as than can be for us as fans.

When I make posts like this, please don't think I'm calling everyone else out, I'm making them for myself as well cause I don't always understand why K is so damn cautious, but when I put the pen to paper(or keyboard to message board post) it not only calms me down but it all begins to make perfect sense, and the big picture cancels out my emotions.

Zion will be back for the Acc Tourney...he's already making cuts and plays without thinking and without fear. Just have a couple contact practices and K will unleash him upon the tourney field. Be patient, the only thing we play for is the National Title and that is the only thing K is basing his decisions on.

I expected Zion not to play today if he was out against WF. Seemed pretty unlikely that the staff would bring him back @UNC for his first game back.

Listen up Peeps that are convinced that Zion's missing these games means that he's not playing in the ACC or NCAA Tournaments; the reason K is keeping him out of these games IS BECAUSE OF THE TOURNEY'S.

As far on the side of insanely frustrating this is for Duke fans, it's just as far on the side of a smart move for the team's chances of winning the National Championship.

Who ever remembers or cares about ANY games during the regular season when we have won the National Championship?! As bad as we wanna pound the shit outta those baby blue cheating assholes, anyone of us will gladly take a loss(or a sweep) if it means we win the Title.

Thank goodness Coach K doesn't make emotional decisions and is ALWAYS level headed and on the side of caution when deciding when to bring kids back, as maddening as than can be for us as fans.

When I make posts like this, please don't think I'm calling everyone else out, I'm making them for myself as well cause I don't always understand why K is so damn cautious, but when I put the pen to paper(or keyboard to message board post) it not only calms me down but it all begins to make perfect sense, and the big picture cancels out my emotions.

Zion will be back for the Acc Tourney...he's already making cuts and plays without thinking and without fear. Just have a couple contact practices and K will unless him upon the field. Be patient, the only thing we play for is the National Title and that is the only thing K is basing his decisions on.
Really and truly don’t believe this decision is being made by K. This decision is being made by Zion and his camp.
I still find it hard to believe one game is gonna be harder to play in then three games back to back and a third game will be just as hard fought against UNC as the previous two just my two cents.

Don’t sweat the petty! Pet the sweaty!!
This board is full of sanctimonious high horse fan boys. apparently, there’s an eligibility process that one needs to meet in order to post an adverse opinion as to not upset the echo chamber.

This has to be a joke

I 100% believe he plays in the ACCT.
K's exact words were that he was encouraged by the progress and that he will probably be ready for post season.
What happens today? Our guys fight their guts out and try the best to win the game. Who will win? I don't know....and that's better than knowing that we can't. And if we win #6, I couldn't care less if we lose today, and again in the ACCT.

Just a thought from an old fart who is sitting in his recliner trying to think of a post that may or not make sense. Since Zion is officially out maybe the team actually may be more relaxed than with Zion playing and by that I mean just about everybody but die hard Duke fans don't think we have a chance. The pressure now is on unc cheater u because with Zion out and it being sr. day they expect to win. Now hof coach roy williams for sure has addressed this and told his team that it's still Duke and the have to play well. But the pressured is now on unc cheater u. I've seen a lot of Duke/ unc cheater u games in my day that Duke was considered bigger underdogs than we are today and cheater u went home whining . OFC

Last edited:
Just a thought from an old fart who is sitting in his recliner trying to think of a post that may or not make sense. Since Zion is officially out maybe the team actually may be more relaxed than with Zion playing and by that I mean just about everybody but die hard Duke fans don't think we have a chance. The pressure now is on unc cheater u because with Zion out and it being sr. day they expect to win. Now hof coach roy williams for sure has addressed this and told his team that it's still Duke and the have to play well. But the pressured is now on unc cheater u. I've seen a lot of Duke/ unc cheater u games in my day thatnDuke was considered bigger underdogs than we are today and cheater u went home whining . OFC
Yes, I think this team will respond well tonight. I don’t know if we win, but it will be a battle. The first game was just bizarre when Zion went down.

Reactions: skysdad
Do not understand all the stuff about him shutting it down for the year.It sucks that he isn’t playing against the cheats but if you look up this type of injury it is a two to four week recovery.K contrary to the jerks on the other sites I’d not going to take a chances on Zions future by risking more damage to his knee

Another duke star to never really play in a duke unc game. Super disappointed, without Zion unc will sweep. There’s no reason that he can’t play limited minutes. This may be the only ever time he gets to experience a game of this magnitude and just like that it’s gone. Oh well. I’m going to root for this team as hard as I can but we don’t have a chance the way this team has been playing.

I would argue that’s he’s already played in 3 games as big as tonight by playing against UK to open the season and the two UVA games. Could also throw in the Gonzaga game in the finals of the Maui tournament. He will likely get another shot at UNC in the ACC semis since Duke and UNC will be the 2 and 3 seeds no matter what happens tonight.

BREAKING NEWS!

Zion is out for tonight's UNCheat game....but

Coach K has decided to burn another red shirt....

You heard it here first.....

THE MRI WILL BE IN UNIFORM TONIGHT AND WILL PLAY!

LET'S GO DUKE!

I would argue that’s he’s already played in 3 games as big as tonight by playing against UK to open the season and the two UVA games. Could also throw in the Gonzaga game in the finals of the Maui tournament. He will likely get another shot at UNC in the ACC semis since Duke and UNC will be the 2 and 3 seeds no matter what happens tonight.

Only the UK game is even close. Sorry, nobody really cares about UVA and the Zags.

Reactions: sheyduke
Last game in Cameron was only 30 seconds of play before an injury in a game many consider to be the funnest game in college basketball. And he never really gets to experience the Duke and UNC rivalry. If you all think you're more bummed than he is, you're crazy.
Nope. He's more bummed. But I'm very, very, very bummed for exactly the reasons you stated.

Reactions: Mpm277
Someone explain to me how there is some conspiracy theory going on? Sure if Zion never comes back there will be much debate. But please point me to one comment by the Duke program or K that committed to a certain timeline or committed to an earlier return. Just because it is much discussed and everyone has an opinion doesn’t mean there is a conspiracy. I want Zion to return more than anything but I also want Zion to return to shut some of our own up.

There is not game as close as Duke/Carolina. Every Duke fan I know would gladly change the Kentucky game to a loss for the win tonight.

Reactions: sheyduke
There is not game as close as Duke/Carolina. Every Duke fan I know would gladly change the Kentucky game to a loss for the win tonight.
There is no feeling then to be apart of the greatest rivalry in sports and actually play in it. The only thing that comes close imo would be the NCAA championship game.

Reactions: Mac9192
My question is, if he’s not able to play a few minutes tonight, will he be ready to play potentially three games in three days starting Thursday?

“No reason he can’t play limited minutes”. If he can’t even do a full contact practice how do you figure he can play limited minutes and risk further injury? I’m pretty sure he will survive not experiencing the rivalry since in the grand scheme of things it is a small blip on what his career and legacy has the potential to become. Kyrie Irving is doing just fine in life and career without the rivalry games and Zion will as well. K is doing the right thing and letting him heal so he can potentially be ready for a much more important run at a national title

Another duke star to never really play in a duke unc game. Super disappointed, without Zion unc will sweep. There’s no reason that he can’t play limited minutes. This may be the only ever time he gets to experience a game of this magnitude and just like that it’s gone. Oh well. I’m going to root for this team as hard as I can but we don’t have a chance the way this team has been playing.

Duke still has a chance at the 1 seed in the ACC Tournament if Virginia loses to Louisville and we beat UNC tonight. Louisville is up by 2 with about 15 minutes left in the game.

I know how important the Duke/UNC game is. Was just responding to the idea that Zion didn’t get the chance to play in some really big games. Not sure how anyone can argue how big the UVA and UK games were as all were basically #1 vs #2 or #1 vs #3 at the time played.

I’m curious to see if there are any second thoughts this evening about playing Zion if UVA ends up losing to Louisville. If that happens, it’s not only our biggest rivalry game but it’s for a ACC regular season championship.

Reactions: QC Dukie
What is with this ACC regular season championship these announcer keeps talking about with Va, and some of the post Ive seen for the last few days? Do everybody mean the 1st place finisher or what? Unless i'm crazy, I have never boasted about the regular season championship, because growing up, there was no such thing, except for fan bragging rights.

With some lurking douschebags sprinkled on top.
giphy.gif

And they always seem to come out of the woodwork when Duke is losing. It’s like they don’t realize we can see every post they’ve made and put two and two together. It’s kinda cute how hard they try though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT