ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FSU Out For CF Playoffs

I guess we will find out when Georgia and FSU play. (I think Georgia wins by 2 scores.)

Yeah the bowl games are meaningless, you can’t take anything from them. Georgia & FSU could each have 5 or 6 opt outs and then you have two very different teams. Not only that you can have coaches leave that got new jobs and the team has an interim head coach, OC or DC. These teams will be very different from the team that played the last week of the season. It stinks but it’s the reality.

So Uva should have advanced anyway? Because they were the “better team”? Too often in fb the better team is thought to be simply the one with the tradition and most NFL talent. It’s too much of a beauty contest anyway.
Everyone slobbers over uga but the last two games they beat Ga Tech by 8 and lost the last game. Not sure they are one of the best 4 esp with an injured Bowers and Mcconkey
Their def line is nowhere near as good as it has been. Missouri ran the ball well as did Bama. Michigan would as well as would Texas.
Ga hasn’t separated itself from the top 4. They had until the last two games
No of course not. But that’s not the equivalent. Georgia didn’t lose in the equivalent of the NCAA tournament. They lost in the equivalent of the ACC tournament.

I was commenting on the supposed “four best teams” making it in the playoff. You’re telling me a team that won 29 straight games goes from being the best team in the country to not even top 4 by losing 1 game by 3 to the SEC champion? Furthermore, is Alabama all of a sudden not “one of the four best teams” if they don’t complete that Hail Mary against Auburn? How can who the best team in the country is be determined by one play? Or one loss? And that’s why I brought up UVA. Not one person on Earth thought UMBC was a better team than UVA just because they beat them.

That was my thought regarding Georgia. It would be the equivalent of the basketball number one team being ranked 1 most of the year, losing their conference championship to a good team, and then dropping to a 2 seed. I think the issue was that Texas beat Alabama, which game them a compelling argument. Clemson being down probably hurt FSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dahntay#1
No of course not. But that’s not the equivalent. Georgia didn’t lose in the equivalent of the NCAA tournament. They lost in the equivalent of the ACC tournament.

I was commenting on the supposed “four best teams” making it in the playoff. You’re telling me a team that won 29 straight games goes from being the best team in the country to not even top 4 by losing 1 game by 3 to the SEC champion? Furthermore, is Alabama all of a sudden not “one of the four best teams” if they don’t complete that Hail Mary against Auburn? How can who the best team in the country is be determined by one play? Or one loss? And that’s why I brought up UVA. Not one person on Earth thought UMBC was a better team than UVA just because they beat them.
Good points. In college football though compared to cbb, the top teams only play three to five games they have a good chance to lose. I’d argue Michigan played three ( Ohio state, Psu, Maryland). Georgia four ( Missouri, Ole Miss, Tenn, Alabama). It’s just such a small sample size opinions can change quickly after just one game. Texas and Uga had comparable seasons but they wanted to put Alabama back n so Texas logically was in also due to head to head
I’m sure Texas’ inclusion had nothing to do with it being the second most populous state and they’re about to join the Sec. sheer coincidence

That was my thought regarding Georgia. It would be the equivalent of the basketball number one team being ranked 1 most of the year, losing their conference championship to a good team, and then dropping to a 2 seed. I think the issue was that Texas beat Alabama, which game them a compelling argument.
Like I alluded to in my previous post, basketball plays three times as many games. One loss shouldn’t affect you as much. Georgia has a good argument imho just not as good as Bama or Texas. In no universe would it make sense to leave Mich or Wash out

That makes sense. The committee should just say that the conference championships are the first game of the playoff. Lose; and you're out. No controversy.

When do you start looking at the teams they lost to’s losses? Texas lost to a two loss team while Georgia lost to a team with one loss that is in. I disagree with that puts Texas above Georgia.

When do you start looking at the teams they lost to’s losses? Texas lost to a two loss team while Georgia lost to a team with one loss that is in. I disagree with that puts Texas above Georgia.
This one is the least talked about...one loss in 3 seasons...by 3 pts..in the conference championship, reigning two time national champions and #1 or #2 all year..and then pushed to 6th!! ...absolutely laughable...and i am NOT a UGA fan..they got hosed.

Reactions: dukesince91
This one is the least talked about...one loss in 3 seasons...by 3 pts..in the conference championship, reigning two time national champions and #1 or #2 all year..and then pushed to 6th!! ...absolutely laughable...and i am NOT a UGA fan..they got hosed.
A lot of people seem to feel that way, but the playoff committee says all the time previous years aren’t factored in. Even more importantly this years Georgia team is no where near as talented on defense. Half the players on the Eagles defense seemingly come from Athens. They were also harder to defend with Bennetts mobility Beck isn’t a statue by any means but doesn’t often make plays with his feet and much easier to pressure.

Given the perceived Sec bias in most of the country along with the Sec’s mediocre non conference record this year, this wasn’t an optimal year to have two of the four teams from the Sec. When most of the year people were saying the Pac 12 was as good or better, I think the dogs suffered from that narrative as well.

What does previous season accomplishments have to due with this years team??

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I’m confident you don’t really believe this. Unless you think that UMBC was a better team than #1 seed UVA when they beat them in 2018.
So are you saying even though UMBC beat UVA they shouldn’t advanced in the tournament because UVA had a better seed/record? Or if you want to use college football as an example last year Michigan should have advanced to the championship game instead of TCU since they were really the better team they just had a bad day. That is not how it works. Texas & Alabama that got selected for this year’s CFP had the same record as Georgia why they are comparable. I stated before why I would choose the other two. Georgia is not one of the 4 best teams this year, even if the previous seasons they were undefeated or ranked #1 previously. They lost to a Bama team that is more deserving for the CFP.

Every team has a good beef. It is weird that Georgia falls from 1 to 6, and Texas (7) and Alabama (8) both jump up 4 spots.

It’s because both Texas & Alabama both won and Georgia lost. How would you still have Georgia a head of the team that just beat them in the championship game and they both have the same record. Could you imagine the uproar if Georgia got in over Alabama? If that’s the case throw out the championship games.

Reactions: MosesGuthrie
It’s because both Texas & Alabama both won and Georgia lost. How would you still have Georgia a head of the team that just beat them in the championship game and they both have the same record. Could you imagine the uproar if Georgia got in over Alabama? If that’s the case throw out the championship games.
I get what you're saying, but they aren't consistent. How did TCU make it in last season?

What does previous season accomplishments have to due with this years team??
One of the ESPN talking heads said it meant something. Talked about how the SEC has had somebody in every year so it has to mean something. I believe I also read that Boo's brother in law works for ESPN. They have spent so much money on the SEC, you can't help but get a fishy smell. May just be bad tuna, but it still looks bad.

The only thing I can think of is the records weren’t the same last year. TCU was 12-1 and Alabama was 10-2. The four teams selected were either undefeated or had one loss. Has there ever been a two loss playoff team?

Reactions: KDSTONE
FSU also had a month, if they are in the final 4, to get Rodemaker ready. He looked ok being tossed in after Travis injury so you gotta believe if they have that time to get an offense ready for him, it would make a difference.

One of the ESPN talking heads said it meant something. Talked about how the SEC has had somebody in every year so it has to mean something. I believe I also read that Boo's brother in law works for ESPN. They have spent so much money on the SEC, you can't help but get a fishy smell. May just be bad tuna, but it still looks bad.
I agree they weren’t leaving out a SEC team from the playoffs. But what you were commenting on was regarding Georgia and how they hadn’t lost the last two seasons.

Ignoring or dismissing the fact that the SEC is the most dominant conference in college football weakens any argument for other team's inclusion. 16-5 in the CFP..won the last 4, 6 of 9 etc....excluding them would have been idiotic. No other conference comes close...and yes, prior seasons and history matters....especially in the toughest conference in the country

Ignoring or dismissing the fact that the SEC is the most dominant conference in college football weakens any argument for other team's inclusion. 16-5 in the CFP..won the last 4, 6 of 9 etc....excluding them would have been idiotic. No other conference comes close...and yes, prior seasons and history matters....especially in the toughest conference in the country
It hasn’t been dominant THIS season That’s what most relevant. I’m pretty sure giving some credit to the Pac 12 this season as well as the Acc for good out of conf wins doesn’t equate to ignoring or dismissing the Sec.
Alabama doesn’t have a decent ooc win; they lost their only test. So did LSU. Auburn beat Cal by 4 and was blown out by New Mexico St.
Georgia beat Tech by 8.
Florida lost to Utah and FSU

Not a dominant conference this year.

It hasn’t been dominant THIS season That’s what most relevant. I’m pretty sure giving some credit to the Pac 12 this season as well as the Acc for good out of conf wins doesn’t equate to ignoring or dismissing the Sec.
Alabama doesn’t have a decent ooc win; they lost their only test. So did LSU. Auburn beat Cal by 4 and was blown out by New Mexico St.
Georgia beat Tech by 8.
Florida lost to Utah and FSU

Not a dominant conference this year.
100% agree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT