ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is your favorite Duke player of all time.

Same here, hence my username.

Like Coach said about 2015 being his favorite team, though, I think it gets harder and harder to sustain a particular fondness as time goes by. It's still there as a loyalty, but it's less emphatic, like the way love might mature in a long-time relationship. If I had to complete a Top 5, Shane might be followed by JJ, Scheyer, Nolan, and... for the meteoric rise from 3-years-in-my-doghouse to his incredible play and leadership his senior year, maybe Quinn. And I've been following Duke since K's 2nd year, so all of the greats during his time are candidates and my list is still pretty heavily weighted toward the more recent players.

If I'm being all analytical about something, I tend to honor the "Hall of Fame" rule, where I can't evaluate something objectively until about 5 years have passed. If we're talking a more emotional response, though -- like a favorites' list -- the more recent has some natural advantages with me. It's a testament to Shane, then, that almost half of K's career later, he's still my #1. It is not, however, an insult to JD or Bobby that my affections regarding them may be a bit faded relative to Nolan, Quinn, or Tyus.
For sure. Particularly following a title run. There's just an afterglow you're hesitant to step out of, even for purposes such as this, where you can't really go wrong with your choices. Regardless of their tenure or distance from today, I do think some comparisons can be made between a player like Tyus and one such as Battier. Both seemed to have a certain confidence and will to succeed that you simply don't see, even in players wildly more talented than either. I tried to keep both aspects-the proximity to a title AND overall contributions and cumulative experiences offered to fans-in mind when choosing Tyus (subject to lots of disagreement, even from me) as my #1 overall. He was only around one year but I think in many ways, whether they were Coach's or any other fan of the program's favorite team, 2015 was a special group (and in no way am I intending to minimize the uniqueness of any other Duke team). It's certainly a privilege to be a Duke fan, any season.

With that said, from the season's opening tip, they offered (and Tyus especially) so many hints at their elite potential but nothing came easy for them either. Whether it was the early ACC struggles, Sulaimon being dismissed, or simply being that young (at least half of the team; I don't want to diminish the role played by the upperclassmen either) and playing with the Duke target on their chest twice a week, then carrying those expectations into a phenomenal and largely unprecedented tournament run. It was so fun and obviously I'm cherishing those memories because the team made one feel very lucky to be a Duke fan in 2015.

In all, I certainly acknowlege I wouldn't be gushing over a Tyus Jones if the Hill's, Hurley's, and Laettner's (and more) hadn't been there first to capture my imagination as a young basketball fan growing up in a medium-sized Midwestern city, where people tended (at the time) to default to KU as a rooting interest. And not that the Jayhawks are/were unworthy, but I'm certainly glad I resisted conforming in favor of the best basketball program of the last 50 years.

Love to hear the varied discussions, especially given how much more time some of you have evidently logged as Duke fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dattier
There's only one for me. Always has been...always will be.

Laettner-Shot-UK-gif2.gif

OFC

Same here. I was like in love with Christian Laettner. Lol. My ultimate man crush. So many others I have loved over the years too, though. Grant Hill is number 2. Hell, my main e mail account that I have had for like 15 years is Duke3332@hotmail.com. I think you all understand the "3332" part. Ha.

Every player that has been mentioned above with just a couple of exceptions. Man we have had some great players for sure.

OFC

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Many favorites, most already mentioned-Hurley, Hill, Laetner, JJ, Scheyer (best faces). My first favorite, and maybe of all time was Mark Alarie. He, and that team, is the reason why I became a huge Duke fan. Other, less notable include Brickey, Langdon, Strickland (dunk over Mourning) Koubek, I could go on and on.

I will have to go with Spanarkal with the G man a close second. Went through a lot of lean years till they hit the floor. OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Redick was decent player. He won't last a year in the nba thou. Can't dribble and doesn't play defense.
Haha...he's certainly diversified his game and is a testimony to players developing in college and beyond. The interesting thing about him is how many aspects of his game he polished once in the NBA. Anyone who thinks of him as a bust doesn't watch the NBA closely enough. He's still such a joy to watch play.

Richard Ford (brother)...Vince Taylor, John Harrell (local Durham guy), Mark Alarie (might be one of the most under rated ACC player ever), Dave Henderson, Robert Brickey...its just so hard to pick one.

Same here. I was like in love with Christian Laettner. Lol. My ultimate man crush. So many others I have loved over the years too, though. Grant Hill is number 2. Hell, my main e mail account that I have had for like 15 years is Duke3332@hotmail.com. I think you all understand the "3332" part. Ha.
Kellen you are a woman correct?

1. Chris Duhon ( made me a duke fan)
2. Kyle Singler ( The Iron man)
3. Shelden Williams

(honorable mention; Mason Plumlee)

Grayson is currently on the watch list, he could break the top 3, but some work is needed.

Im old enough to remember Art Heyman ('61-'63). No player tougher or that ferocious since then. He's my choice.

Laettner,Ferry,Dawkins,Alarie,Redick, I seen Mark Alarie and Len Bias guard each other in a exhibition game after their senior season. They both scored about 40 points.If not for the group of Alarie and Dawkins,Bilias and Henderson we may not have coach K and all this great history.

Too many and It changes all the time, but i think all time for me it's still JJ.

Shane Battier by far. Also loved Wojo. Grant Hill and Laettner were the reasons I fell in love with Duke in the first place. Recently it would have to be Scheyer and Singler.

Just as sure as I am a Duke fan' Big Kendall "Butter" Marshall fan I believe. He's going to be one of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time before he hangs up his Air Jordan's If he could just hook up with the Hornets. OFC

Many favorites, most already mentioned-Hurley, Hill, Laetner, JJ, Scheyer (best faces). My first favorite, and maybe of all time was Mark Alarie. He, and that team, is the reason why I became a huge Duke fan. Other, less notable include Brickey, Langdon, Strickland (dunk over Mourning) Koubek, I could go on and on.
Wasn't that Phil Henderson who dunked over Mourning?

I can't remember if Marin and Mullins overlapped 1 year or 2, but they were one of the best duos I've seen.

Don't see heralded duos much any more. Back in that same era, Wake had a pair (whose names elude me at the moment) and UNC had Lewis and Miller. All those duos were a lot of fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT