ADVERTISEMENT

Next year predictions

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Okay, now that out class is likely done and everything is set where do u see us starting in the preseason polls and what's your predictions for the season? I felt before the two big signees we'd be a top 20 team with a top ten finish now I see us preseason top 5 with another shot at the title. Next year will be fun again!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Preseason = #4 (KU, UNC, and Michigan St. ahead of us).

Struggle early in the season. Hit a groove and really start clicking by the middle of January.

Reactions: dbav
Gosh, I'm not sure, Pisgah. A lot of talent left the elite teams this year. That's why so many people think UNC is going to be close to the top. I know they'll be good, but until they show enough poise to hold leads late in a game...I'm not completely sold on them being a championship team...at least I hope not.

But to get back to the subject of Duke, I think we're in the running for being considered with the best in the country. So, I'm thinking somewhere on the lines that you are...possible top 5, and with a real shot at getting back to the Final Four. That said, it's a long ways off, we're not sure how our players will mesh, and if the chemistry will be right. Still, have to believe that K and company will figure out a way. Hopefully we'll be in the 'Mix for Six'

OFC

Last edited:
Adding Thornton and Ingram really changes things for Duke heading into the 2015/2016 season. I believe they're a preseason top 5 team with the potential to make a deep run into the tournament. Duke will have solid shooters, depth, size, speed, and players who can attack the rim. Defensively, I believe Duke has a chance to be better than this past season, due to size and athleticism. Keep in mind this team will be one of the biggest teams ever at Duke. Other than Thornton, everyone is 6'4 and taller with great wingspans. Not only will this team be able to defend, but offensively Duke will be able to get out and run in transition and score a ton of points. If K can work his magic and everyone buys into their role, we could be marching right back to the Final Four next season.

No team scares me looking at it now for next year. Not saying we can't lose to many of them, but there isn't that fear of a loaded squad that I truly had of Kentucky this year. Not only because they were really good, but matchups for this year's Duke team, to me, were terrible. Looking at next year, that fear isn't there currently with any squad and that makes me happy.

I love the individual abilities that K has put together for next year. Each guy, on their own brings something that in my mind, when paired up with the rest should produce an amazing team that should compete for #6. That said, it takes that little bit of magic and a whole boat load of chemistry for a team to win it all each year.

A lot also to me rests on Thornton to be really, really, really good. Never underestimate that fact that almost all past champions of late have had great/elite PG play. You can win it without, but a PG, along with good defense, seem to be two of the variables that remain most constant in recent teams cutting down the nets. Thornton's play and health, especially without another true PG on the team, will be key to Duke making the run for #6.

Preseason - 5-7 range.
Midseason - Reaching #1 at some point.
End of year - Top 5 for sure, locking up #1 seed, and like this year even without possibly winning ACC reg or tournament title.
Tourney - Give K a 1 seed and buckle up. Good shot at F4 with matchups going our way and as good as chance as any of another championship.

I also think college basketball will be down next year and that'll bold well for our young teams. If we mesh together watch out

I am really excited that we got Ingram but I think next year won't have the same ending as this year. We have to remember that, one, all three freshman last year were better then all four freshmen next year. Two, all three of those guys had a really strong bond both on and off the court before they even got on campus. That is huge advantage when you're coming into a new system/new team. Lastly, while I love Amile and Marshall, the senior leadership of a starting combo guard like Quinn cannot be replaced. I predict we had a solid regular season, finishing behind Carolina in the ACC, and advancing to the sweet sixteen or elite eight. Remember, this isn't the first time we've had stud freshmen come to Duke before. We've had a solid 4-5 year run of getting a top 3 recruit and last year was the only one of those teams to come out of the sweet sixteen.

As usual under K...i expect a very strong regular season. The hardest part will be following a title run.

So many things went right for last year's team. Some luck...but the way they came together defensively is what won them the title.

I expect Duke to win 30 games or so and be an elite 8 team. Some bad luck we go out earlier...good luck we go further.

Reactions: pisgah101
I agree with the concept that no team as of yet scares me. Also that this team could/should be pretty immune from bad matchups with the depth and versatility.

Other than that...so many variable. Luck, injuries, bonding/chemistry, can they come together and be a great defensive team. Do Marshal and Amile step up their offensive games and surprise a little. Does Grayson really break out and become a star? Does Matt transition from a somewhat inconsistent, but in the end a really effective role player to a veteran, legit ACC starter? Are the Freshmen ready? Obi??!

In the end, I think easily top 10, probably top 5 unless bad luck strikes, with a good a shot as any to make the FF. Oh yeah, I thing UNC is being over rated. The team that almost lost to Harvard in the tourney lost one of their best players, their best defensive player on a weak defensive team, their most athletic player. Unless it is addition by subtraction, I see the same inconsistent team with similar results.

Next season is a "down" year by college basketball standards. And that's not a slight to any specific teams. Heck, 2010 was a down year and I'm not embarrassed whatsoever as to how it finished.

Talent-wise we're in the top 4-6 teams. But as we know that doesn't always translate to tournament success. We'll be capable of a Final Four run should everything come together, but the room for error isn't going to be as wide as this past season. Should be a lot of fun.

This team has it all...Talent...Depth...Leadership. I feel it will be about chemistry and putting the right guys out there in certain situations which we all know K will find a way to do like with the Jones Amile swap late in the year which proved huge. This team will take its lumps here and there during the season especially during conference play and especially on the road. While its hard to predict now what will happen when its all said and done you have to think with the talent they have and K as hungry as ever its hard not to see this team making a final 4 run.

I don't know really what to expect in the acc next year. There's carolina who returns everyone, but will they come with something to prove or just the same ol attitude, Duke has an outstanding roster on paper but will it translate on the court and with chemistry, there's Virginia who has a great coach and a great defensive team but lost a leader on the team. A lot of teams last year that were down were really young teams like Wake, BC, and GT that were very competitive most games but just couldn't close at the end, so you figure an extra year and they may be even better. The team I'm most worried about never gets mentioned and that's Florida St, they bring back most everyone, they play good D, have a huge Front court, and bring in an excellent freshman in Bacon. Syracuse may also be a lot better than people think but who knows, but I think the ACC is going to be extremely competitive from top to bottom.

I think it is very much wishful thinking to think that next year's group will have the moxy and will, and the complete inability to be rattled that the 2015 team had. They were special and older than their collective years in that department. That isn't to say that the 2016 team can't get there, but it is just such a rare thing, and even more so when you dealing with a team that is half new. The 2016 will also be made up half of players who have never played for Duke before.

Everyone will transfer but the stating 5. Just kidding. I think we will have some growing pains fairly early into the season after we start playing a tougher schedule. We may get upset by a team we were sure to beat but by the time the Christmas break goes by I think the rotation will be set and we should be well on our way to some consistent good basketball. It would make me very happy to sweep the Heels again but we shall see. The Heels should have everyone back including Tokoto and from what I understand from over at THR Luke May will be better as a freshman than Jah was which which mean Meeks should win NPOY because Meeks was better as a soph than Jah was as a freshman which means if May is gonna be better as a fresh. than Jah was as a freshman the he could be a candidate for not only ACCROY and NPOY unless Meeks, Johnson or Paige wins NPOY. I know it sounds complicated but I'm sure one of he guys over at THR could make a lot more sense out of it that I do. And like always I think we can win the NC next year. :rolleyes: OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
I think we end up with 30 wins next year. Not with the notion that we will struggle early, I think we get out to an early start like usual, and maybe hit a skid in February when the Freshmen hit the typical wall. Do not want to make NCAA predictions without seeing brackets, but I think we play in the second weekend at least. With luck and strides, we could make a run based on our D, Shooting, and coaching.

I like those odds, not too sure how kentucky will look though. I would bump Arizona and Maryland up just a litle though.

I wonder how UNC fans are going to react when they fail to win the title next year, as most of them are predicting. It's like they put their current recruiting failures and impending sanctions on the backburner and pegged all their hopes on winning it all next season. A cold dose of reality isn't going to sit well this time next year in Chapel Hill.

UNC should be very good next season, and IMO, they're at or near the top of the list when discussing 2016 favorites. But I don't think they're going to be "as" good as some of their fans might think. That doesn't really make sense, but my reasoning has more to do with college basketball being down and them still having some unanswered questions.

The key for them will be Paige's health, then the growth of Justin Jackson and Joel Berry. If healthy Paige is one of the top players in our conference and an All-American candidate. I wouldn't call his sophomore an anomaly, but I don't think he's "that" good either....even when healthy. If Berry becomes more efficient (and gets a chance) and Jackson grows on his last month of this past season then UNC should be the ACC favorites.

Like I said, I don't think Paige, Brice Johnson or K. Meeks make big leaps. They kind of are who they are. But if they get the boost from Jackson and Berry they can be really, really good. Even still, that's not a dominant team. It's a very good team, though.

UNC was dangerous this year, but they couldn't close games. I don't think I've ever seen a Tar Heel team that bad at the end game. So, I do think they'll be very good this year, but until they can prove they're able to finish teams off...I'm not sold on them being elite. Maybe experience makes a difference this year, but then again it may just be some of these guys aren't mentally tough. If they blow a few games early because of that, then I think it'll weigh on their minds...and if they do close some games early...it could propel them to a great season. We'll see.

OFC

I saw an article talking to the UNC players and all pretty much said they don't have a guy with a killer instinct. That's pretty crazy coming from then

kentucky loses out on a three star recruit to nc state, maybe calipari shud put a call into luke maye and try to get him from unc, he cud promise him he'll play in the nba next year lol

I saw an article talking to the UNC players and all pretty much said they don't have a guy with a killer instinct. That's pretty crazy coming from then

Things have been so dry there so long that they are thrilled and relieved to land the #82 recruit in the nation as their top 2015 get (he will pair with the #95 player in the nation, aka the next Sean May).

Things have been so dry there so long that they are thrilled and relieved to land the #82 recruit in the nation as their top 2015 get (he will pair with the #95 player in the nation, aka the next Sean May).
that guy the just landed is that low?? The one that they're like ingram who over?! HAHAHA!!! I didn't realize that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT