ADVERTISEMENT

My prediction :Joey Baker will be back next year.

Jon needs to work hard on either the transfer market or getting guys to return or his first year might be a long one. A bunch of top guys from this class have re classed like Duren and Bates.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
We could be very good on D and should be a good passing team. We should be a good shooting team too. If Schutt is ready, we have a really good shooter coming off the bench. That is a pretty good 6 to start with. Blakes not being overwhelmed would help a lot too. He has some ability.

Two guys from the portal would be huge a as would Keels or Wendell.

Reactions: christophero
Posts that start with "if so and so is a good shooter" usually don't end well for Duke lately. Maybe Schutt will be different.

Schutt is a good shooter. Question is, will he be ready year 1. This is more of a needing guys to contribute immediately due to 1 and done than anyone else.

Look at Tre Jones. We had questions about perimeter shooting and him specifically going into his freshmen year. Tre was horrible his freshmen year, but competent shooting from deep and good overall offensively his sophomore year. If he was as good offensively year 1 as he was year 2, we win it all. Easily. Just 1 year's difference.

Last edited:
Schutt will be good eventually. But where he's ranked probably not in year one. Blakes hardly sees the floor. We do this every year.

Schutt will be good eventually. But where he's ranked probably not in year one. Blakes hardly sees the floor. We do this every year.
I don’t pay any attention to rankings honestly. Look at the colleges with freshman making a scoring impact that weren’t in the top thirty . It’s all about how bad the player wants on the court.
Imo, Blake’s needs to catch up with his body .

I read on another site that Baker is thinking about coming back for a 5th year. Question-- is Theo John also due another year due to the pandemic.

Theo and Baker back. Yes please.
All due respect I love your dedication to Duke basketball Chris but we need to focus on Coach the next day or two. That magical 86 team that made us all fall in love with Duke. Christian fn Laettner. Battier Singler. Nolan Smith. Okafor. Winslow. Who gives a rats ass whether Joey Baker comes back or not? Let’s get focused

I can be excited for Coach K's last home game and want Joey Baker back next year. My brain is capable of those 2 separate thoughts. :) As for old games, have you seen the old games thread? I've been watching them all year, ha.

How unusual was it for Joey to not start on senior night? I feel like K always started whomever the seniors were in the past, right? Am I misremembering?

Don't see why he would come back. He hasn't improved enough in 4 years here and prob won't improve much next year playing maybe 10 minutes a game.

Gutted for the kid that he didn't get any time yesterday,...even from the tipoff. Very uncool. If i were him i would not return after that treatment
He should have been out there. He could stand around and watch Banchero as well as the others could

Reactions: Mac9192
A lot of chatter pointing to Joey being back. I'd love to have him on next year's team. Wish Theo had another year too.

Id love to have him back. But I couldn't blame Joey leaving at all if he decides to go. He was a top 40 recruit coming out of high school and he has yet to really have a chance to play college basketball.

If Im Jon though, no doubt Im recruiting him hard. Im telling him no doubt there will be 20+ minutes for him and when he is out on the court, we're going to be setting off ball screens for him to try and get him as many open looks as possible from 3.

Even with all his flaws, there is room for a 5th year senior who is 6'6 and can shoot it as well as he can. You find minutes and shots for someone like that.

And ya I would love to have Theo next year as well. I think he has been a fantastic backup big for us. But he has only gotten 10mpg and we have 2 7 footers coming in next year who are top 5 recruits. I dont expect Theo to be back.

Id love to have him back. But I couldn't blame Joey leaving at all if he decides to go. He was a top 40 recruit coming out of high school and he has yet to really have a chance to play college basketball.

If Im Jon though, no doubt Im recruiting him hard. Im telling him no doubt there will be 20+ minutes for him and when he is out on the court, we're going to be setting off ball screens for him to try and get him as many open looks as possible from 3.

Even with all his flaws, there is room for a 5th year senior who is 6'6 and can shoot it as well as he can. You find minutes and shots for someone like that.

And ya I would love to have Theo next year as well. I think he has been a fantastic backup big for us. But he has only gotten 10mpg and we have 2 7 footers coming in next year who are top 5 recruits. I dont expect Theo to be back.
I'd love to have Theo back too. I think Theo has been a big bright spot for the team this year. I kind of thought he'd get more minutes before the season started, but in hindsight I think we used him perfectly. He was so, so solid when he was in. Sure, he doesn't have Mark's ability to completely alter the game defensively, but he blocked his share of shots, he made things tough on the opposing big man, he didn't commit silly fouls, and he rarely took bad shots on the offensive end and he seemed to be a totally team-first guy. What more could you want from him? Would love to have a guy like him every single season.

Reactions: duke4life831
I'd love to have Theo back too. I think Theo has been a big bright spot for the team this year. I kind of thought he'd get more minutes before the season started, but in hindsight I think we used him perfectly. He was so, so solid when he was in. Sure, he doesn't have Mark's ability to completely alter the game defensively, but he blocked his share of shots, he made things tough on the opposing big man, he didn't commit silly fouls, and he rarely took bad shots on the offensive end and he seemed to be a totally team-first guy. What more could you want from him? Would love to have a guy like him every single season.
Oh ya I dont have a single negative thing to say about Theo. You cant ask for a better backup 5 than what he has given us this year. It would be great to have him next year with Lively and Filipowski. But ya I expect Theo will want to go somewhere he is going to get more than 10mpg. Its his last year of college ball, Im sure there wont be a shortlist of good power conference schools that can give him good minutes.

Reactions: DukeJim99
I think he would get 16-18 minutes a game. Lively 28 , Flip 30. and Duke goes small 4-6 minutes.

What we don't factor in is to what extent Joey or Theo want to get another year for free education at Duke. That may make it worthwhile right there for them.

Are we sure Theo gets another year? Wasn't this his 5th year, or did he have a medical redshirt, I don't remember.

Joey would be the 6th man next year and provide much needed leadership.

Are we sure Theo gets another year? Wasn't this his 5th year, or did he have a medical redshirt, I don't remember.
Theo doesn't have any more eligibility; He played four -- three that count, plus the COVID season -- at Marquette and one at Duke (obviously).

In 2022, trying to predict next years roster and depth chart before the middle of summer is essentially pointless, and this isn't just for Duke and the amount of guys that go pro every year, this is for just about everyone. All indications are that Joey will be back next year. If he does come back (not confirmed yet), than that speaks volumes to the type of teammate Joey is. Joey has talent, the problem this year at Duke is we just have a log-jam of big guards/wings (Keels, Moore, AJ) and Joey just isn't as good as those guys.
With Whitehead and Mitchell (both huge wings) next year, this isn't gonna change much, but maybe the 3rd spot stays open and goes to Joey.

I want Duke to get more aggressive in the transfer portal once the roster is close to set (how nice would a backup PG be on this years team for example) and we have seen it work magic for UK when they missed all their top recruits last year. But having Joey back for a fifth year would do more than help us on the court, it would help out the locker room too.

Just think how good Duke’s offense would have been running screens for AJ,Keels and even Baker . Kentucky got shots for Grady by doing that.

Duke is going to have a huge turnover next season and that no doubt.
who returns is key . Does Roach, Blake’s or Baker return? Is Duke looking at only having one player who contributed any meaningful minutes return?
I get the transfer portal but don’t see Scheyer going after anything but seniors. On a year to year basis it’s hard to say.
I know it’s time for a mixture of players on the court. This one year thing isn’t working especially after this year the only good thing is next year the class is entirely Scheyer’s first class.

Duke is going to have a huge turnover next season and that no doubt.
who returns is key . Does Roach, Blake’s or Baker return? Is Duke looking at only having one player who contributed any meaningful minutes return?
I get the transfer portal but don’t see Scheyer going after anything but seniors. On a year to year basis it’s hard to say.
I know it’s time for a mixture of players on the court. This one year thing isn’t working especially after this year the only good thing is next year the class is entirely Scheyer’s first class.
Our incoming class is so, so good, but does not include a PG unless I'm missing something. If I'm Jeremy Roach I'm thinking if I come back to Duke I'm going to be a captain and starting on a National Title Contender with a lot of guys who are going to make me look like an assist savant. I don't know what other option Jeremy has that can compete with that.

As for Joey Baker, I really hope he comes back. His career at duke didn't pan out as hoped so far, but he's seemed like a 100% duke guy from the moment he stepped on campus. We'll need his leadership and experience, even if he doesn't get lots of actual game minutes, and that leadership is more a locker room/practice kind of thing. But that's from a Duke fan's perspective, not Joey's. I'm not sure what's right for him and his future. What do I know, though? Maybe he gets 20 min a game, shoots 45% from 3, and becomes ACC 6th man of the year.

Our incoming class is so, so good, but does not include a PG unless I'm missing something. If I'm Jeremy Roach I'm thinking if I come back to Duke I'm going to be a captain and starting on a National Title Contender with a lot of guys who are going to make me look like an assist savant. I don't know what other option Jeremy has that can compete with that.

As for Joey Baker, I really hope he comes back. His career at duke didn't pan out as hoped so far, but he's seemed like a 100% duke guy from the moment he stepped on campus. We'll need his leadership and experience, even if he doesn't get lots of actual game minutes, and that leadership is more a locker room/practice kind of thing. But that's from a Duke fan's perspective, not Joey's. I'm not sure what's right for him and his future. What do I know, though? Maybe he gets 20 min a game, shoots 45% from 3, and becomes ACC 6th man of the year.
Duke will not be a national title contender next season. A lot would have to happen and you are putting a lot of stock on kids who have yet to play a college scrimmage.
I think Duke looks at the transfer portal for at least a combo unless Foster reclasses. Don’t forget Scheyer is high on Blake’s
Duke will be a top 25 team but with no upperclassman who have played meaningful minutes returning except probably Roach . They have a lot of question marks.
I refrain from making any predicament for next years team until I see them play their first real game against real competition.

Roach, Baker, Blakes and 2 transfers would be good. Hopefully no one transfers like last year. Moore or Keels back would be amazing but they are projected for late first round. Keels would first team AA if he came back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT