ADVERTISEMENT

My prediction :Joey Baker will be back next year.

I could actually see some scouts telling Keels to return to improve his over all game and show more consistency .

Reactions: christophero
Duke will not be a national title contender next season. A lot would have to happen and you are putting a lot of stock on kids who have yet to play a college scrimmage.
I think Duke looks at the transfer portal for at least a combo unless Foster reclasses. Don’t forget Scheyer is high on Blake’s
Duke will be a top 25 team but with no upperclassman who have played meaningful minutes returning except probably Roach . They have a lot of question marks.
I refrain from making any predicament for next years team until I see them play their first real game against real competition.
You don't think so? I felt like we were a national title contender the year we had freshman RJ, Zion, Cam and Tre. Didn't pan out, but that team easily could have been a final four team. Our top three incoming freshman are all top 5 - I think Rivals now has them as the #1, 2, and 3 prospects. And a fourth-year Roach has to be as good as a freshman Tre. Add on a top 15-prospect in Mark Mitchell, and possibly Joey Baker or Jaden Schutt knocking down some perimeter shots and... I'm excited for next year.

I think your bolded comments contradict each other a little.

You don't think so? I felt like we were a national title contender the year we had freshman RJ, Zion, Cam and Tre. Didn't pan out, but that team easily could have been a final four team. Our top three incoming freshman are all top 5 - I think Rivals now has them as the #1, 2, and 3 prospects. And a fourth-year Roach has to be as good as a freshman Tre. Add on a top 15-prospect in Mark Mitchell, and possibly Joey Baker or Jaden Schutt knocking down some perimeter shots and... I'm excited for next year.

I think your bolded comments contradict each other a little.
What bolded comments. Every year a fan says Duke is a national title contender I get it but they aren’t .
flip, lively, Whitehead, Mitchell or Schutt has yet to play a college game . Your going off high school rankings a lot of teams next year will be older and will have been together a lot longer not to mention this will be Scheyers first year running the show . Your putting a lot on Roach’s shoulders to lead a young team when he’s only been asked to be a contributor . There isn’t one player coming in with the hype of Barret , Zion or Reddish .
you get your hopes up I’ll stick with waiting to see.
Also they don’t contradict each other it reenforces the beginning statement.

This is the down side of having a new team each and every year. You can’t predict anything until they play games and see how they gel. Back in the day you could make bold predictions and be fairly close if you followed the program closely because you knew you had great players returning and mixing with a good freshmen class was exciting. But now it’s just hope and see! But I lost much hope when RJ, Zion, Reddish and that group didn’t make the FF. That team had it and still fell short to an experienced MSU team that had been through the wars! You just can’t beat that experience of the dance

I get what Shey is saying. Relying on one and dones is fun, and it assures that our talent level is good so that allows us to win a lot of games. But it is also frustrating and fool's gold in a way. We are good enough to almost get there and see what we are capable of but we are super young so we bumble things up at key moments. And it plays out similar every year and there is no learning curve because guys leave. Part of me thinks that if Zion/Tatum can't make the FF these young teams never will. We have had success yes; but seeing the ridiculous amount of talent that has walked through these doors the past 7 years we have also underachieved a bit. I am no super hopeful our final four drought ends this year or next, but hopefully they prove me wrong. This is our best team in 3 years so if we underachieve this year it will be very deflating. Winning the ACC is a good way to get this team back on track.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
We will be very, very young next year so I certainly agree with most of the points made by others. However, anyway you slice it, #1,#3,#5 and #13 is some elite talent coming in so I'm excited...even though it will come with bumps in the road. Keels coming back would be enormous, but not sure that happens.

Looking forward to shutts as he is more then likely to be around for two seasons and Blake’s should he return . I don’t doubt the potential. I doubt the lack of upperclassman to blend in .

I would take him back in a heart beat, but it's hard not to see all the minutes Goldwire and Coleman are getting and how that could appeal to Joey.

Honestly, I haven't seen Joey do anything that makes me hope he stays. Having said that, he hasn't been given the chance to develop. That's just who Duke has been since the OAD era and Duke's having leaned hard into it. Joey doesn't warrant playing time, imo; and while that is kind of through no fault of his own, that isn't going to drastically change in a year.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT