ADVERTISEMENT

Just how much did HOF Coach Roy Williams know about the UNC academic scandal?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
IT DOESN'T MATTER how much he knew about the scandal. If he or any other coach or athletic administrator knew if there were athletes playing that were not eligible to participate then just like at any other school the programs should pay the price by whatever the standards that has been set in the past with other schools no matter if you are UNC and the ACC commissioner is John Swofford who is an UNC alumni and the athletic directer at UNC during most of the scandal. Period. OFC

Sure he and Swofford knew it, they had to have known. Speaking of Swofford, how did he get to be commish, and when will the other members of the conference vote him out? I want to see an ACC network, and not with his son running it . Swofford went with the Tarholes to an NCAA hearing when they go caught cheating in football some years back. Wonder if he will try some under the table dealing this time to get them off lightly this time as well??

Reactions: skysdad
The point I'm really trying to make is that even if HOF Coach Roy Williams or anyone else knew NOTHING it is no excuse for The University of North Carolina not to be penalized in the proper and standard manner that any other university would be. They are not entitled to anything just because they are The University of North Carolina. OFC

The point I'm really trying to make is that even if HOF Coach Roy Williams or anyone else knew NOTHING it is no excuse for The University of North Carolina not to be penalized in the proper and standard manner that any other university would be. They are not entitled to anything just because they are The University of North Carolina. OFC

This one basic fact continues to escape unx fans and the majority of NC-based sports media who defend 'em. It doesn't matter that Roy's name isn't all over Wainstein , Martin or the NOA. If he didn't know , he SHOULD have. But he DID know. The refrain is , "Roy pulled his guys out of the clustering in AFAM." Yes. Yes , he did. Immediately , however , they began to "cluster" in COMM which proves that Williams wasn't nearly as concerned with "clustering" as he was with "clustering" in a department that was being publicly outted as the "Ground Zero" for athletic eligibility at unx. Carol Folt has continually promised that unx would be "transparent." Most of the time , she's been lying. The most "transparency" that has come outta the flagship in the last 4+ years was Roy having Wayne Walden migrate his team away from AFAM into COMM. Watch what people DO not what they SAY.

I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think he didn't know the deal with those classes and that department.

Roy knew something was going on. Maybe he didn't know specifics and kept his distance, but I don't think anyone really believes he had no idea about what was going on. If he truly didn't then he's really more disconnected from his program than anyone could have imagined.

Did he know? Really? During his tenure at UNC -- no player, coach, trainer, staff, student, student advisor, tutor, alum, teacher, professor, dean, the chancellor, the president, the athletic director, parent, teacher's aid, janitor, or grounds keeper NEVER said something to him? Anything? Really? During his tenure at UNC -- not in one meeting with staff, 1:1, team meeting, 1:1 player's meeting, committee meeting, departmental meeting, AD meeting, cocktail party, dinner, lunch, breakfast, prayer meeting, briefing, walk down the hall, walk across campus no one mentioned something? Really?

That just seems weird to me. If something seems weird, it is weird.

Now does it matter? Only to the extent that a blemish on UNC hurts the ACC and it hurts our rivalry -- which will end up hurting Duke. Just need to get this mess straighten up. UNC needs to get its house in order. If Duke fans are salivating for UNC to stumble then they are just trying to figure out a way to hurt themselves.

I agree with everything but Swofford will sweep this under the rug because Meeks will be a junior and dominate the NCAA next year and win UNC their 6th title.

I agree with everything but Swofford will sweep this under the rug because Meeks will be a junior and dominate the NCAA next year and win UNC their 6th title.

The 7th. Helms Trophy, Helms Trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT