ADVERTISEMENT

Lest We Never Forget-The UNC Cheating Scandal

gottagonow

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 14, 2010
Heres what I read on Wickipedia about the UNC Cheating Scandal. We should always talk this up as Dukies because they actually used inligibile players to defeat Duke in Basketball and other events as well as winning several ACC and two or three National Championships in basketball and various sports. We must continiously discuss this so that the young Duke fans just entering fandom fully realize how they cheated and just turned many blind eyes to it. Maybe a young unweaned unc fan will read it and have second thoughts about being a unc fan but instead choose integerity over winning at all cost.
  • University of North Carolina academic-athletic scandal – in a follow-up to the UNC football scandal, new accusations of academic fraud arose in relation to the university's African and Afro-American Studies department and men's basketball program, men's football team, women's soccer and other sports as well. The Wainstein Report, an independent report commissioned by UNC, revealed academic fraud that occurred over at least 18 years involving thousands of students and student athletes. Allegedly, thousands of student athletes were directed by the UNC administration to take "sham" classes in order to maintain eligibility. UNC avoided major NCAA penalties, mainly because said sham classes had been offered to the entire student body.

Heres what I read on Wickipedia about the UNC Cheating Scandal. We should always talk this up as Dukies because they actually used inligibile players to defeat Duke in Basketball and other events as well as winning several ACC and two or three National Championships in basketball and various sports. We must continiously discuss this so that the young Duke fans just entering fandom fully realize how they cheated and just turned many blind eyes to it. Maybe a young unweaned unc fan will read it and have second thoughts about being a unc fan but instead choose integerity over winning at all cost.
  • University of North Carolina academic-athletic scandal – in a follow-up to the UNC football scandal, new accusations of academic fraud arose in relation to the university's African and Afro-American Studies department and men's basketball program, men's football team, women's soccer and other sports as well. The Wainstein Report, an independent report commissioned by UNC, revealed academic fraud that occurred over at least 18 years involving thousands of students and student athletes. Allegedly, thousands of student athletes were directed by the UNC administration to take "sham" classes in order to maintain eligibility. UNC avoided major NCAA penalties, mainly because said sham classes had been offered to the entire student body.

Definitely need to keep this alive Gotta! Good post! It will be interesting to see how Mack Brown does in football at "The Hole," given he benefitted greatly in the 90s. Mack started awful (back to back 1-10s), then after Dean instituted AFAM EARLY '90s he enjoyed success.

Paper and/or fake classes no longer exist (we're told), so Mack apparently has no crutch.

#DeanStartedIt
#MackGotInOnIt
#RoyKnew

OFC

Way to go gotta. I really think unc fans think we're gonna forget about it. Most of them are trying to forget about it. But is a part of history. History is not forgotten no matter how much they try to forget it did happen. Watergate happened. No one has forgotten about it. JFK was assinated . It's in history books. We landed on the moon. It's in the history books. unc cheated for close to 20 years and it'seems in the history books. They cheated. Dirtiest program of college sports in history. It's not gonna change because of the 15 plus million dollars it took to get them out of the mess. It still happened. You can't change history. It happened and even if it'still never mentioned again it happened. OFC

What is beyond shameful is the corrupt NCAA not nailing them for a real probation. Should of been buried.

LH $$$$ talks,and that other stuff walks! Those old money Rams Clubbers pockets are SO DEEP, they can reach as far as needed to protect the outlaw program Dean started and Roy carried out....

Ha, I will never forget when Matt Doherty was asked by the Wainstein group (most thorough investigation of all) about basketball and academics. He replied El Deano and Bill Guthridge told him: "Don't change academics."
#TheCorruptSustem
#StartedByDean
#RoyKnew

OFC

Last edited:
The fans I know think they are not guilty because the NCAA didn't charge them with anything. That's what is hard for me to swallow. They can't conceive they are guilty since they weren't charged. They are guilty...guilty as sin. Just not an NCAA issue and proud they got away with it. I struggle dealing with their arrogance on this. The Carolina Way, yeah right. Take pride in avoiding the penalties they so richly deserve. That's the true Carolina way.
OFC

What’s amazing is either the Weinstein report or other interviews debunked some of the “it is for every student” thing. A lot of the classes were shown to not show up in the course catalog until much later after most students had picked their schedules. Also, the same class was handled much different for an athlete vs general population. But if it was for every student then they should have been hit harder by whatever education standard governing body there is in NC.

I wonder if there will be a book or documentary about the obvious BS that went on to make the scandal exist and ultimately be swept under the rug.

Reactions: skysdad
I have lots of family and friends who are fans of the tar heels. These are good and decent people. I know many who are unc alumni. They love unc just as much as I love Duke. Not the program they love is forever tarnished because of greedy people who wanted to win so badly that even though they got by with it the cheating still happened. No penaltys, no sanctions, no loss of scholarships, no wins taken away, no championships taken away. Nothing except the loss of jobs of a few scape goats. And to top it off hof coach roy williams had the arrogant nerve to whine about how the length of the investigation killed his recruiting. Go figure that out. In a way I do feel sorry for my family and friends who follow unc. I really don't say anything at all to them about the scandal. I feel I don't need to do so. It wouldn't prove anything. Maybe that's why I use the board to let out my obsession with it. Just so grateful I'm a Duke fan and even more grateful it didn't happen to us and hope with my heart it never does. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT