ADVERTISEMENT

Help me hate

PixelDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2016
Not even mad bro
Uconn. I didn’t start watching Duke basketball until ‘07, and not seriously until ‘09. I understand that they took it from us ‘99 and ‘04. But because I wasn’t watching, I can’t know the feeling. I’ve always kind of liked Uconn, but if they’re to be hated I will do what I must. Help me hate.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Uconn. I didn’t start watching Duke basketball until ‘07, and not seriously until ‘09. I understand that they took it from us ‘99 and ‘04. But because I wasn’t watching, I can’t know the feeling. I’ve always kind of liked Uconn, but if they’re to be hated I will do what I must. Help me hate.
Sorry. Only hated Calhoun. And Hurley is a brotherhood-in-law.
OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil

I was too young in 99 to really witness it.. 04 I was in middle school and really getting into it as a fan. I was depressed for days.. however while that still makes me sick because I thoroughly believe we were better that year I’m actually ok with UCONN now I get the hate but Carolina’s the only team I guess I truly hate now

I love the 99 team as much as anyone, but Avery, Brand and Maggette didn't show up that night. Brand could hardly get his shot off over Voskill. Avery was completely outplayed by his high school teammate. Very disappointing after how dominant we were. And then we had to deal with our first mass exodus. Not fun. 2001 made up for it, but that one still hurts.

F*ck UCONN. The 99 game tore the arse out of me. Duke wins that game 4 out of 7. It was as disappointing a loss as any.

Go to Youtube, watch the full game.

Smdh

giphy.gif

I only dislike one team . That’s them baby blue turds eight miles down the road . Hate is a strong word so .. plus Hurley is a good coach and has his team balling . In the entire OAD era this season the older teams are showing out .

Last edited:
I only dislike one team . That’s them baby blue girls eight miles down the road . Hate is a strong word so .. plus Hurley is a good coach and has his team balling . In the entire OAD era this season the older teams are showing out .
Do you mean the UNC women or are you using your reference to females perjoratively? If so, can't you make your point without being demeaning to women?

I only dislike one team . That’s them baby blue girls eight miles down the road . Hate is a strong word so .. plus Hurley is a good coach and has his team balling . In the entire OAD era this season the older teams are showing out .

Hate is a strong word and it depends on the context we use it in. Most here who have seen me post know how I feel about cheater u and cheater u nation ,players, coaches and most of their fan base but I do not hate them. I prefer disdain. I hate losing especially when it's cheater u. I hate cancer, dementia , the fact that there abused children, sexual assaults etc. I hate the fact there are so many people in the word but their evil will be taken care of in due time. OFC

Do you mean the UNC women or are you using your reference to females perjoratively? If so, can't you make your point without being demeaning to women?
Huh ? I’m talking about the men’s team . I’m sorry I do not mean to offend any one ! I’ll say those baby blue turds then . Everyone knows me here I do not degrade or hate anyone . So SDevada if what I said offended you I’m sorry I really am .

In England they need riot police outside the stadiums during some soccer games. We are far less hardcore than them as fans.
Sorry it’s our nature lol. I had my cousin from Yorkshire send me a sticker for my hard hat . Irish temper with Welsh attitude .

Reactions: christophero
Funny. Shey apologized and acted like a mensch. It was the rest of you who are acting like children. If I could not take it, as you all seem, to believe, I would not have said anything since the attacks from the he-man women haters were wholly predictable. I am sorry you guys feel so threatened by a woman speaking up but it is the 21st century and it is time to stop with this need to make references to women as a way to demean men. There a ton of words out there you could use.

Funny. Shey apologized and acted like a mensch. It was the rest of you who are acting like children. If I could not take it, as you all seem, to believe, I would not have said anything since the attacks from the he-man women haters were wholly predictable. I am sorry you guys feel so threatened by a woman speaking up but it is the 21st century and it is time to stop with this need to make references to women as a way to demean men. There a ton of words out there you could use.
What if we called them pussycats? For example, those UNC players are a bunch of pussycats? According to the dictionary, a pussycat is a gentle, mild-mannered, or easy-going person.

No, there’s a lot of things to get worked up about, but what he said isn’t one of them. I didn’t think he had anything to apologize about.
I’m very surprised you’re a Duke fan, with the way K acted and spoke. Sure there were many, many moments where he said things to his teams that you would be appalled at.

Bottom line, get a life and quit whining about stupid, meaningless garbage. Better yet, go headbutt a wall.

Sorry. Only hated Calhoun. And Hurley is a brotherhood-in-law.
OFC
Duke and UConn go back to the early 90’s. Laettner hit the game winner against them in the regional finals in 90.
Laettner's sophomore season. Great play drawn up. Huskies held this bitterness for quite a while.

I tip my hat to Uconn, it's not an easy place to recruit and they were able to regroup from Calhoun's messy exit.

I was a freshman in HS for 1999 so remember vividly and ofcourse my postername. I tried to rewatch the game a couple years ago when I was really tanked but couldn't finish it.

1998-2000 were a number of brutal eliminations. But it toughened us for the Maryland rivalry and eventual crowning.

2004 we had a really good performance. We were able to match the Huskies enormous front line. Deng was a difficult matchup and we were very balanced with 5 double digit scorers in the game. Huskies had a 12 point run late. It did seem the refs all of a sudden started to call the game tight in a game featuring alot of muscle.

Vegas lines
1999: Duke by 9.5
2004: Uconn by 2.5

But time has healed my heartbreak. Huskies and Kansas are the only teams we haven't gotten revenge on, while carrying multiple late Tourney losses.

Just watch this and the screw job Duke received….

We fell in love with the 3pt after our Bigs started fouling out. We needed Duhon/Ewing to keep driving. Today we'd completely spread the floor.

Huskies started draining 3's though. Okafor stolen rebound from Horvath. Great play. We responded scrambling at the 3point line. Duhon's last game, bet he regrets not commanding late.

Bottomline: in 2004 we were outplayed early until Okafor had to sit. Then he outplayed us late. We can't play Ref card.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Uconn had the best player on the court in both games

Richard Hamilton vs Elton Brand
Ben Gorden vs Deng/Redick

Both were their greatest teams. Experienced and very strong defensively. Chip on their shoulder facing ACC Duke. Calhoun was great at selling this story line in that accent of his.

We fell in love with the 3pt after our Bigs started fouling out. We needed Duhon/Ewing to keep driving. Today we'd completely spread the floor.

Huskies started draining 3's though. Okafor stolen rebound from Horvath. Great play. We responded scrambling at the 3point line. Duhon's last game, bet he regrets not commanding late.

Bottomline: in 2004 we were outplayed early until Okafor had to sit. Then he outplayed us late. We can't play Ref card.
We had 3 bigs foul out, absolutely a fair “ref card” argument. Tell me how many other Duke games had 3 centers/PF foul out in regulation?

Okafor sat early but Williams sat more overall. Okafor only outplayed Duke once Williams was out.

We had 3 bigs foul out, absolutely a fair “ref card” argument. Tell me how many other Duke games had 3 centers/PF foul out in regulation?

Okafor sat early but Williams sat more overall. Okafor only outplayed Duke once Williams was out.
Remember Randolph transferred? That hurt.

This was a great CBB game. Possession flying forward. Guards challenging the bigs. '99 is the headline but this game was very well played.

JJ raining threes after the Kansas debacle. He was given the last opportunity and missed short. Wasn't this the famous Coach K get in shape offseason? He turned the corner in 2005.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT