ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to you, Sky...and to all our fathers here.

I know you guys have heard it plenty of times before, but please don't let petty grievances, family quarrels, or just 'I'm too busy' get in the way of seeing or talking to your dad. They'll be gone before you know it, and you won't have that opportunity.

It's a sad Father's Day in my family. I'm getting ready to go to my son-in-law's fathers's funeral in about 2 hours. He wasn't that old...about my age, and he got sick very quickly. Our family is still in shock. And this comes on the heels of my other daugher's father-in-law dying about 6 weeks ago.
Don't have any regrets.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad

I know you guys have heard it plenty of times before, but please don't let petty grievances, family quarrels, or just 'I'm too busy' get in the way of seeing or talking to your dad. They'll be gone before you know it, and you won't have that opportunity.

It's a sad Father's Day in my family. I'm getting ready to go to my son-in-law's fathers's funeral in about 2 hours. He wasn't that old...about my age, and he got sick very quickly. Our family is still in shock. And this comes on the heels of my other daugher's father-in-law dying about 6 weeks ago.
Don't have any regrets.

OFC

Good post dirt. You never know what the last thing you may say to someone. It's better for sure if it is kind. Happy Father's Day to all. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Dirt I am so sorry to hear of the sad news of your children's In Laws. Sometimes there's just no fairness it seems.

Don't have any regrets.

OFC
Sorry for your family's losses. Praying for your son and daughter, and families.

With the horrific event from Charleston on my mind, I woke up Fathers' Day morning and said to my wife, "Let's visit a Black church today." We did. Had it not been Fathers' Day, I suspect she would have balked at it, questioned how it would be received, whether it was a misguided attempt to show support that was really about drawing attention to ourselves as "good" White people... We confirmed later that all of those thoughts were running through both of our minds as we pulled up, parked, and walked in. The walk in was filled with anxiety, wondering if it would be seen as an empty, self-centered gesture, etc.

It was a really wonderful experience, though. People were very friendly and welcoming, just as the 9 murder victims were to Dylann Roof, and the service was wonderful, very beautiful and inspiring. The overwhelming tone was one of forgiveness and grace, just like the victims' families demonstrated in their words to Mr. Roof in court. I hope we follow through on visiting again some time.

That afternoon, a stranger pulled in the driveway and introduced himself as a man who grew up in our house. We invited him to look around and shared how blessed we have been to call it home for nearly 19 years, how we've fashioned a lifestyle that has prioritized our family and how integral our home and property has been to that. (My wife farms our land, a choice that has allowed her to be home with all 3 of our kids.) This gentleman told us stories about his youth, and when we left, my wife and I recognized that hearing him and being there to hear his stories was the most important thing about the surprise visit.

Then steak.

So I had a really awesome Fathers' Day. I felt very blessed, and it was a reminder of how blessed I am even on the bad days. Hope you all had good ones, as well.

With the horrific event from Charleston on my mind, I woke up Fathers' Day morning and said to my wife, "Let's visit a Black church today." We did. Had it not been Fathers' Day, I suspect she would have balked at it, questioned how it would be received, whether it was a misguided attempt to show support that was really about drawing attention to ourselves as "good" White people... We confirmed later that all of those thoughts were running through both of our minds as we pulled up, parked, and walked in. The walk in was filled with anxiety, wondering if it would be seen as an empty, self-centered gesture, etc.

It was a really wonderful experience, though. People were very friendly and welcoming, just as the 9 murder victims were to Dylann Roof, and the service was wonderful, very beautiful and inspiring. The overwhelming tone was one of forgiveness and grace, just like the victims' families demonstrated in their words to Mr. Roof in court. I hope we follow through on visiting again some time.

That afternoon, a stranger pulled in the driveway and introduced himself as a man who grew up in our house. We invited him to look around and shared how blessed we have been to call it home for nearly 19 years, how we've fashioned a lifestyle that has prioritized our family and how integral our home and property has been to that. (My wife farms our land, a choice that has allowed her to be home with all 3 of our kids.) This gentleman told us stories about his youth, and when we left, my wife and I recognized that hearing him and being there to hear his stories was the most important thing about the surprise visit.

Then steak.

So I had a really awesome Fathers' Day. I felt very blessed, and it was a reminder of how blessed I am even on the bad days. Hope you all had good ones, as well.

Good post dat and thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us. OFC

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys. Losing loved ones is always hard, and death never takes a holiday.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Just caught up w/ your news, OAD. Very sorry to hear it. You're in a position to be a primary father figure to your son-in-law and daughter-in-law. I pray you'll be there for them first, but also for your own grieving process.

Just caught up w/ your news, OAD. Very sorry to hear it. You're in a position to be a primary father figure to your son-in-law and daughter-in-law. I pray you'll be there for them first, but also for your own grieving process.

Thanks, Dat...I'm going to do my very best.

With the horrific event from Charleston on my mind, I woke up Fathers' Day morning and said to my wife, "Let's visit a Black church today." We did. ...It was a really wonderful experience...
With the wonderful SCOTUS news on our minds, we're going to gay church tomorrow. :cool:

Leviticus 20:13.......nuff said

OFC

Maybe I should have added *sarcasm*. I am with you 100000% on this. I am honestly disgusted that our President can be in Charleston giving an eulogy at a church that despises gay marriage while at the same time lighting the White House as a Skittles package.

Yep, no coincidence that this country has really fallen into a moral sewer the past few years.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT