ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VA TECH ACC FINALS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Look, K hasn’t evolved in-game in a long time. He’s been great at Duke, but it’s not crazy for some to look forward to him stepping aside for new leadership.

To me the most concerning parts of this team are:

- the sudden drop in D efficiency- it’s like they don’t know how or want to handle ball screens now.

- Keels at the 1. I get it, K loves NBA style play with no positions, but Keels isn’t a great ball handler, his court vision is avg at best, and he can’t get past people. Why isn’t Roach running things?

- Rebounding. This lacking really hurts considering how big this Duke team is. They don’t box out or crash the boards hard at all.

It’s a new season now, but based on how they’re playing so inconsistent, I’m not feeling bullish on their potential.

Only thig left to do is appreciate and enjoy the last ride. I just hope the last game isn’t a complete embarrassment in the end for Coach K….I’d at least like to see him go down swinging. After the UNC game he said no adjustment would of mattered because they wouldn’t listen….tells it all doesn’t it? He didn’t even try to make one….

This stretch where UNC embarrass us at home and VT pretty much handed us our butt in the ACC Championship doesn’t bode well for the end. It feels like these guys will get run off the court by some double digit seed and end Ks career. I hope when we go down it’s at least competitive at the end and feels like we have a chance.

Im excited to hopefully see something new and different but I’m not wishing for an embarrassment in Ks final act which these last couple games have been for him and the program. He deserves better….

K has been all time great coach, honestly game has pass him. It's been painful watching this team with more talent losing leads and k not making adjustments, looking forward
John taking over.

What killed us is they took Mark out of the game defensively. Pretty good gamelan .They made their shots and we didn’t.. Our D in my eyes hasn’t been that good all year and just skewed by teams shooting bad (especially from the perimeter) all year. When I hear or heard that we were the best perimeter defense in the Acc or one of the best in the country yada yada I laughed . Mark as good is he is down low for us on Defense is an liability for us in ball screens. Teams (with stretch 5s) will game plan the rest of the way and make him play on the perimeter. It is what it is . Maybe we’ll get favorable matchups😕

Reactions: Devilinside
K will say his usual bs about them being an “old” team.. well hear the same crap in a week after we get upset in the first or second round.
Pisg he did indeed make sure to insert the "they're old" quote in the pregame. I am convinced that's largely a CYA moment. So tired of hearing it.

Also, he had another alibi in the post game. Va Tech is "the type of team you need 2-3 days to get prepared for." SMH. Tournaments don't work that way coach.

Okay, venting over! K has given us an unbelievable ride!!!! However he's sunk pretty fast lately and excited for changing of the guard. It's time. Praying for a miracle rest of season.OFC

Last edited:
Whatever man. Like you could do better.
This is your response? You gotta be joking man. K has lost with superior talent for a long time, with no adjustments, and letting 18 yr old just trying out for the NBA dictate his team. you’d have to be blind or stupid to not see that. And you could bet your behind that if I was getting paid 8-10 million a year to coach you’d at least see some attempts at adjustments, we may not win but I wouldn’t let any nba wannabe laugh out of time outs or after a butt whopping against Carolina without getting a nice seat next to me on the bench. The idol worship you have of K is nuts, he’s been a great coach absolutely but not since 15 and that felt more like catching lightning in a bottle then good coaching

Quite a bit of trashing has went on here. And people who can't wait to see him gone. So, you'll get your wish soon.
When have I ever said ,”Can’t wait to see K gone?”
I haven’t even trashed a player but if you think this is Duke basketball by all means that’s your opinion.
I was watching game day yesterday and in K’s own words,” I have one last ride with team and then I’m getting the hell out of here!”
So so far on his farewell tour, twenty point loss to UNC in Cameron, a double digit loss to Virginia tech in the ACC Championship game and possible first round exit this will be how he goes out .
By the way did I mention some of the VT players came from Wafford.
Tell me year in and year out you see teams go deep and play good with unranked to three star players yet Duke can’t get players to stay. I get going with the best talent I really do and the results are as we see.
I’m hoping this being Moore’s first NCAA appearance he decides he wants to come back along with Keels they will be needed but I highly doubt it .

When have I ever said ,”Can’t wait to see K gone?”
I haven’t even trashed a player but if you think this is Duke basketball by all means that’s your opinion.
I was watching game day yesterday and in K’s own words,” I have one last ride with team and then I’m getting the hell out of here!”
So so far on his farewell tour, twenty point loss to UNC in Cameron, a double digit loss to Virginia tech in the ACC Championship game and possible first round exit this will be how he goes out .
By the way did I mention some of the VT players came from Wafford.
Tell me year in and year out you see teams go deep and play good with unranked to three star players yet Duke can’t get players to stay. I get going with the best talent I really do and the results are as we see.
I’m hoping this being Moore’s first NCAA appearance he decides he wants to come back along with Keels they will be needed but I highly doubt it .
Recruiting-wise, this team was not put together well. The importance of having reliable point guards was cogently put on display by Va Tech's Murphy and Perillo. Duke, on the other hand, has only one player, Roach, who even remotely resembles a PG, and he does not even start. Instead, we are forced to play Moore and Keels who have almost no PG skills, resulting in an offense which appears disjointed and fairly easy to defend. Defensively, we are slow to react and overly reliant on switch-offs which lead to things like Williams guarding Storm Murphy. Finally, after watching Va Tech, I will never believe that OAD is not a problem. I hope Scheyer has some significant changes is mind, which do NOT include starting 4 freshmen. I am not at all upset about this loss because we got beat by a clearly better TEAM. K so far has shown no inclination to make significant changes in a system which just does not work very well. Not looking forward to the NCAA's. First time I can remember saying that. OFC

Look we are all Duke fans with different opinions. Isn’t that the purpose of message boards?
Duke is going to have to reach deep and I mean deep to go far in the tourney .
no one is digging K or this team it is just concerning to see their up down play and excuses being thrown out! I’d rather see this team foul out then continuing letting their self’s get beat. How many players have fouled out a game this year ? Maybe three .
point blank , Duke has played enough games now that everyone can say the team you see is what you’ll have in the tourney .

Witnessed all three games in Barclays this weekend, simply put we are an AAU team. Very little defensive knowledge as help defense rarely occurs and automatically switch on screens. Can’t recall seeing one single hedge and constantly leaving our feet on ball fakes.

Offensively we play well in spurts but off ball movement rarely occurs. Not sure why we don’t run a secondary break. Could pump ball into post for Banchero or Williams and open up step in 3’s. We never get out on the break.

Oh well it is what it is. At least we are in tourney and every game will be an enormous challenge bc our confidence is shot.

Making Sweet 16 will be very difficult.

To be honest, I think the fix is as simple as making better coaching decisions. More specifically, be multiple with our defensive calls throughout the game, not just when the game is in doubt. Do we not practice some trapping and zone? I dont know if it would have resulted in a win last night but i would have loved an opportunity to find out. It felt like playing a video game where i figured out how to beat the man to man defense the computer was playing yet it continued with that defense.

Reactions: Mac9192
To be honest, I think the fix is as simple as making better coaching decisions. More specifically, be multiple with our defensive calls throughout the game, not just when the game is in doubt. Do we not practice some trapping and zone? I dont know if it would have resulted in a win last night but i would have loved an opportunity to find out. It felt like playing a video game where i figured out how to beat the man to man defense the computer was playing yet it continued with that defense.
Kept waiting for 2-2-1 to at least change pace a little bit but never came.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Kept waiting for 2-2-1 to at least change pace a little bit but never came.

Yes! I don’t understand. We did a little trapping late but why not go to that earlier when a team is clearly comfortable. We have good length too. Like where is the urgency. I would like to at least hear “Duke has tried everything but they have no answer.”

Like, remember the UL game two years ago, remember the J Will game vs Maryland in 01-02?

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I feel like I vented too much last night. I was upset at our effort in 2 big games this week. I do think the team as a whole need to improve for us to make a run. We can't stop anyone right now, the last 2 Saturdays were alarming. This team is capable of so much; let's get some favorable match ups and make a run.

I feel like I vented too much last night. I was upset at our effort in 2 big games this week. I do think the team as a whole need to improve for us to make a run. We can't stop anyone right now, the last 2 Saturdays were alarming. This team is capable of so much; let's get some favorable match ups and make a run.
I’d like to agree with you, and do hope we “find” it. However, we seem to have a tendency of looking like world beaters in November/December. The other teams seem to be working out their kinks, and then by January/February many of them start hitting their stride, while we have at least one key player that has hit a wall. Right now, that player is Keels. The problem is our bench has dwindled, and when someone like Baker is in, we all pray he hits a shot, or doesn’t get abused. He has one opportunity every game, and in the few minutes he’s in, if he isn’t productive, it’s back to the pine for the remainder of the game.

It also looks as if other teams have had time to prepare and plan for us, and know our weaknesses. And expose those weaknesses they do.

One of the things I laugh at is when K says we need 2-3 days to prepare….but people only need a couple hours to prepare for us.

Maybe our stuff is to simple and actually hot garbage? How hard is it to prepare to run a high ball screen for forty minutes on offense and stop isolation basketball on defense?

Anyone could prepare for us….

One of the things I laugh at is when K says we need 2-3 days to prepare….but people only need a couple hours to prepare for us.

Maybe our stuff is to simple and actually hot garbage? How hard is it to prepare to run a high ball screen for forty minutes on offense and stop isolation basketball on defense?

Anyone could prepare for us….
I can see possibly giving that excuse that we need a couple days but that team is in our division that we've already played. Give it a break K

Every offseason we hear about how “next years class is different”; “more skilled, bigger” whatever. But it’s the same story year in year out with these OADs: peak in November/December and then decline when they start thinking about the draft. Until we figure out that having 3-4 freshman in a starting lineup doesn’t work, we’ll continue to repeat this trend. Arizona doesn’t have a single OAD, Gonzaga has 1, Baylor last year had none. You need time/years to develop chemistry. We need to realize being a stop over for NBA “talent” isn’t as cool as winning national championships. Here’s to hoping we have a spark in us for the tournament and we can send coach out on a high note.

It is great that we are getting this talent. But if we go hard after the top 2-3 players at each position they are only going to be here one year, and there is a definite downside to that. Let's not pretend that is the only way to do things as others have mixed transfers and freshman talent. Getting the one and dones and playing them 35 minutes a game doesn't leave much room for a bench or transfers. I miss seeing good defensive teams.

Y’all know I’m a former drunken ranter, turned optimist ….I got nothin…This is on K! Solely! After the first 2 possessions of the game I thought maybe this would be one of them games in the past where we're asking is Mark hurt after the game … I don’t wanna hear no excuses about time to game plan..you played them before and on top of that either A Mark had to be able to defend or B we go small! Not this hardheaded stubborn insanity bs. Pretty easy preparation to me! And on top of that ALL his focus is just on coaching with Jon recruiting etc. Roach should have been our PG for better and through worse so he coulda developed you know around this time of the year when teams take their stride from…developing!! We stray away from our bench at the end of the year…then we get to the tournament in which you play 3 games in 3 days …makes 0 sense! 0!! All this “tinkering” bs throughout the year to play 7 guys in 3 days ? Y’all talk about trapping etc pressing !??? How ? You can’t playing 7 guys in 3 days!! You can’t do nothin but what you just witnessed . Other than zone lmao. K is the GOAT but he’s lost it, as every Goat does, at one point 🤦

Teams need defined roles this time of the year . Continuity! A bench! That’s why all these upsets happen to the “better” TALENTED teams. We have 1 or 2 and that be Baker coming in as a shooter.CAME!! What happened the last month ?! Where’s he? …Mann I’m so sick..When you just look at the entirety of the pan of action or whatever you want to call it , this years plan didn’t come close to making sense . throughout the year I’ve been bitting my tounge staying optimistic .. example , off the top of my head why play the starters so long in the Syracuse blowout ..for what!? I’ll tell you why becuase there was never a plan . Never any looking ahead and setting us in position for success later in the year ..Every move was short sighted! That’s why we stumble later in the year!And it’s been that way for couple years

And to really piss me off and top it all off Duke went down from a +1400 to +1100 to win it all so the bet for a miracle ain’t even worth it now! How the hell does make sense!!😂 peace

Reactions: geddoughton23
Same South Carolina team that was a hair away from playing Carolina in the championship game? They had a damn good team that year. But we all forget that. I'm ready for next year when you all complain about Jon. It's ridiculous.
Some take it too far but you’ve gotta admit we’re not getting better from Nov to Mar; other teams are which is why we’re getting dominated by teams like UNC and VPI

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT