ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Don't give up, I'm seeing improvement. It's not gonna be the season we thought, we knew that before tonight.

Tough loss, tough season. Dogging Capel or Tatum etc isn't gonna help

I agree, WIDukie. Trashing players doesn't serve anyone.
Duke is not playing well, but we're working more players into the rotation, and I still think it'll come together for us. The season is not over imo.

OFC

I never would have thought K would recruit someone as selfish as Tatum. His game is not what Duke basketball is about.

I think we are 1-4 since K went out..

We are worst 2-2 in this stretch with him and probably 3-1..

Such high hopes this year...sigh

What do you think is the main culprit this year?

Injuries is the easy answer, inconsistent and overhyped freshman, Allen's distraction/underperforming, coach K being out, I mean there are a ton of things.

It's not our year..

So much talent on this team but there's just no chemistry. Some of the shots we're throwing up are just ridiculous. Calling the defense weak is a compliment.

I agree, WIDukie. Trashing players doesn't serve anyone.
Duke is not playing well, but we're working more players into the rotation, and I still think it'll come together for us. The season is not over imo.

OFC

Maybe not over but getting pretty darn close to it

Yeah the tournament is in question, what big wins do they have? How many bad loses are on their resume. Do you see the schedule coming up and after seeing how they are playing have confidence winning at UNC, UVA and other road games? Right now I don't see it.

Such high hopes this year...sigh

What do you think is the main culprit this year?

Injuries is the easy answer, inconsistent and overhyped freshman, Allen's distraction/underperforming, coach K being out, I mean there are a ton of things.

It's not our year..
Jason Tatum. Plain and simple. We are a completely different team without him.

This season isn't on one player or one person but the whole team and coaches.

I can't tell if it's Duke on the court or a junior varsity team at times.

Not one single person can fix this not even K! It will be all of them or all of them will sink. Then the real issues set in because this team has no heart

Tatum is talented, but he is a kid out there. He doesn't know what it means to be a winner. He had no business taking the rebound. He should've advanced the ball with a pass. It's time to sit him down and make him accountable.

Tatum is prototypical AAU player: athleticism & zero basketball IQ but Capel is married to him.

Hard to watch and hard to root for a team that is such a contradiction of what Duke Basketball is all about. I hope this season prompts a re-evaluation of recruiting multiple projected OAD's in a recruiting class and stats over character

Then you need to find another team to root for. I can't believe you posted that. A Duke fan is a Duke fan no matter what. Don't need Duke fans like that I hope this a spur of the moment post that you will regret. OFC

Two wide open drives to the basket and he misses!!!! WTH!!!! My 7 yr old daughter can hit that layup. That dude is not NBA bound. He's better off playing in the YMCA men's league.

Reactions: pisgah101
2-3. In the four before he went out we were 3-1....edging out Elon and Tennessee St. and getting blown out at Va Tech.

Yes but this was just the beginning of getting everyone back and limited practices with holidays and exams...and in some kind of shape...

Not a good indicator....

I think it's entirely possible we don't get in. I don't have confidence this team can get a road win anywhere regardless of where it is. The schedule is not going to get easier. The only good win we currently have is against Florida. If you're being objective, it's entirely reasonable to think they don't get in.

Tatum isn't the reason we're losing. Capel isn't the reason. Neither are the injuries. There's a lot of the them....but the most obvious is that this team just doesn't mesh well together.

Tonight Tatum was really bad down the stretch. But the moves that got him those shots were outstanding....he just didn't finish. If he makes those first two we probably win by 10.

State is the only bad loss at the moment. VA. Tech is a decent team.
Yet how many true road wins do we have?
There is no such thing as a good loss but hey Duke was ranked higher so we helped their resume in every loss we took.

Duke has at the least three more losses coming and that's giving them a compliment

Hard to watch and hard to root for a team that is such a contradiction of what Duke Basketball is all about. I hope this season prompts a re-evaluation of recruiting multiple projected OAD's in a recruiting class and stats over character
You have to remember OADs are a gamble just a few seasons ago Kentucky had the greatest class ever started ranked 1 and I believe they won the NIT title that year. Sometimes all that talent does not gel. Look at the talent UK and Duke have has since all these OADs started and they have only 2 titles between the both.

Then you need to find another team to root for. I can't believe you posted that. A Duke fan is a Duke fan no matter what. Don't need Duke fans like that I hope this a spur of the moment post that you will regret. OFC

No i dont.....didnt say i wasnt still a fan just that this season is really making it difficult to have the same passion as the past 25 years that have made me a Duke fan.

I'm not saying we are some juggernaut...we have our warts...but you will never convince me we blow this game tonight with K at the helm...

Capel really hasn't made any adjustment in any game...just hit on a lineup last game...it was magical but that stuff doesn't last...

Yep. We're all frustrated, but being a fan is accepting that the sun doesn't always shine on the same dog's azz all the time (same thing as life). Don't have to like it, but have to learn to put it in perspective.

OFC

The most shameful thing I see is, State is a very talented team, but refuses to use it unless they are playing Duke, and they will get blown out next game. Duke is an embarrassment right now, but oh well life goes on, bitching and moaning and the if game ain't gonna change anything.

Reactions: sheyduke
Two wide open drives to the basket and he misses!!!! WTH!!!! My 7 yr old daughter can hit that layup. That dude is not NBA bound. He's better off playing in the YMCA men's league.
OK, this is crazy talk. You're upset, but c'mon. Reel it in. He's NBA bound and will eventually be pretty good. River and Jabari had similar performances, and they're drawing big checks still. It isn't good news for us however.

I realize that everyone is upset at what we seem to have here but is it necessary to be vicious against our players? We just got beat by a team that played excellent and was not to be denied who was as hot as a volcano towards the end when it counted.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

Old school Duke fans have to admit the core principles of defense & fundamentals we used to preach are a thing of the past. Just look at our shot selection & back door points given up. Grayson gets back doored in lane coming out of timeout. So disheartening.

DukieJay you're spot on. Tatum was having his best game, sharing the ball and rebounding (9 rebounds which led the team), then he missed two lay ups with great moves. Everyone on here loves to play the blame game. I felt like Grayson was killing us. I would have liked to have seen more Bolden and Frank. Frank needs to play through his mistakes, I like to think that the coaches are taking him out and teaching him. State got a lot of offensive put backs and they had the best player on the floor, which usually leads to a victory in a close game. Oh well, let's get ready for Wake.

I realize that everyone is upset at what we seem to have here but is it necessary to be vicious against our players? We just got beat by a team that played excellent and was not to be denied who was as hot as a volcano towards the end when it counted.

NCST lost to Heels by 57, they are not a good team. Can't sugarcoat home losses.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
Jefferson is nowhere the player he was before the injury. He was fourth or fifth best big tonight and before the injury he would have been the best on the floor. We gave too many easy buckets inside.
I still think Duke needs to play a lot more zone. Jones could not come close to keeping Smith from driving to the basket.
Tatum needs to go back to shooting mid range jumpers and not try to be a Ben Simmons who can shoot 3 point shots.
No one excuse for not closing the deal tonight.

Tatum isn't the reason we're losing. Capel isn't the reason. Neither are the injuries. There's a lot of the them....but the most obvious is that this team just doesn't mesh well together.

Tonight Tatum was really bad down the stretch. But the moves that got him those shots were outstanding....he just didn't finish. If he makes those first two we probably win by 10.
He's thinking like a kid. We need a man. We're not going to get that from him unless he decides to open his mind. We need some coaching magic. I think letting some other guys eat some of his minutes is the right medicine. That and make him watch this game, play by play tomorrow, in front of the whole team. I feel like we have the curse of the Harrison twins right now.

It's ok when the blame can clearly be placed on someone's shoulders and everyone except like 2 will admit it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT