ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I respectfully disagree. I think his performance showed the exact opposite of mental instability. He could have let those misses and turnovers determine his performance. Aside from Grayson’s shooting and Wendell’s rebounding, Tre’s solid, steady play down the stretch is the only thing the team had at times.

Before the season, K said Tre hadn’t found his verve. I think he proved he had it tonight and then some.

I totally agree. While his shooting wasn't on, and he struggled to finish at times, he consistently made steals and great decisions in transition. Down the stretch, with the exception of an errant travel, he played well to finish some opportunities and run the show.

Shoutout to his quickness on defense as well. His combination of length, quickness, and anticipation is really stellar. His ability to create live ball turnovers helps a strength of our team, which is getting out in the fast break and finishing.

Reactions: Quavarius
Let’s talk about Tre for a minute. It has been a while since I’ve been hat proud of a Duke player. The kid killed it out there tonight.

- The length of this team is mentioned a lot. It starts with Tre. 6’2-6’3 with a 6’10 wingspan. That’s stupid length. Another Duke guard boasted measurable like that too.

- His shot is a work in progress, but he didn’t let his misses dictate his play. How mature is that?

- This is now 5+ point guards he has hassled into multiple turnovers and bad games. The dude is the truth on defense. We’ve had plenty of point guards kill us in the past. He might be our best defender at the 1 spot since Duhon.

- He went to the Kyrie Irving school of glass spinning. Layups in traffic against 2 or 3 defenders are automatic with him. He’s super dynamic.

Loving what Tricky has brought to the team. We said it before the season. There will be times he makes bad plays that create runs the wrong way, and there’s will be times his talent alone wins games for us. The latter was true tonight.

Great point about not letting the missed shots affect his game. They looked good when they left his hand. I think Dan or Jay mentioned Tre has huge hands as well. But yes, he is Kyrie without a jumpshot. I love this kid!

Reactions: dukehokie
He and Grayson we causing havoc at the top of that zone, and they could be aggressive because of the bigs playing behind them. Interesting choice for Coach K to go to it.

I would have too. Like usual, MSU can’t shoot. It’s no secret that the only Izzo team to beat K also happens to be probably the most guard heavy team he ever had.

I would have too. Like usual, MSU can’t shoot. It’s no secret that the only Izzo team to beat K also happens to be probably the most guard heavy team he ever had.

What's the last Duke team that could have handled a game that was that physical? Maybe our last two NC teams?

No disrespect to JJ, but I'd take Allen 8 days a week. He's a complete player and will lead these guys.
Why even start this? Seriously, it's just dumb and divisive imo. Both are all time greats and are completely different players. Honestly, it feels more like a racial thing more than anything else. Again, just dumb.

Reactions: Dattier
Tre definitely is a cool customer, which Tyus was. He doesn't get too rattled and keeps his composure, which helps our team. He has some weakness and didn't shoot it well from the field, but the fact that he really had a huge impact on the game says a lot about him as a cmoplete basketball player

Let’s talk about Tre for a minute. It has been a while since I’ve been hat proud of a Duke player. The kid killed it out there tonight.

- The length of this team is mentioned a lot. It starts with Tre. 6’2-6’3 with a 6’10 wingspan. That’s stupid length. Another Duke guard boasted measurable like that too.

- His shot is a work in progress, but he didn’t let his misses dictate his play. How mature is that?

- This is now 5+ point guards he has hassled into multiple turnovers and bad games. The dude is the truth on defense. We’ve had plenty of point guards kill us in the past. He might be our best defender at the 1 spot since Duhon.

- He went to the Kyrie Irving school of glass spinning. Layups in traffic against 2 or 3 defenders are automatic with him. He’s super dynamic.

Loving what Tricky has brought to the team. We said it before the season. There will be times he makes bad plays that create runs the wrong way, and there’s will be times his talent alone wins games for us. The latter was true tonight.
I am not really concerned with his shooting from the field we can live with that but his ft shot concerns me,especially since he will have in the ball in his hands at crunch time

I am not really concerned with his shooting from the field we can live with that but his ft shot concerns me,especially since he will have in the ball in his hands at crunch time

I am only mentioning it because teams will pack the lane if Gray and Gary are off. It’s less a concern and more of a thing that will make this team virtually unguardable.

What's the last Duke team that could have handled a game that was that physical? Maybe our last two NC teams?

09-10 could. 10-11 could. 14-15 could. 12-13 could. In the past 10 years, that’s probably it. That used to be a staple of Duke ball. This team is a throwback to the early 2000’s style of play.

The rest of the country is already scared. RR has 10 threads about Duke on their first page.

Yes. And they’re as classy as ever. I really thought Carolina had zero class(es) before I discovered Rupp Rafters.

“Anyone feel bad for the kid who cheated to get to college (and the NBA) a year early that just got poked in the eye and may not return this game? Anyone?

I wouldn't shed a tear if him or Duval went down...”

“I hope Bagley loses some eye sight in that right eye thanks to his team mate.

I dont feel sorry for # set for life”

Where is that quote from K earlier this season about playing zone in certain situations?

I really liked that all of our top players seemed to want the ball at the end of the game. It looked like the pressure brought out the swagger in them, and the confidence. I hope they keep that up. It's nice to have a team full of those players.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Yes. And they’re as classy as ever. I really thought Carolina had zero class(es) before I discovered Rupp Rafters.

“Anyone feel bad for the kid who cheated to get to college (and the NBA) a year early that just got poked in the eye and may not return this game? Anyone?

I wouldn't shed a tear if him or Duval went down...”

“I hope Bagley loses some eye sight in that right eye thanks to his team mate.

I dont feel sorry for # set for life”

Absolutely pathetic. Those particular posters are a waste of skin.

OFC

Yea I know u try not to have hate in you but my goodness it’s hard not to when you read stuff like that. I wish Kansas would pull away and beat them.

Yeah, I can't understand people like that.
Oh, and if UK can find a way to beat Kansas, they'll start printing those 40-0 t-shirts again.

OFC

This game is giving me flashbacks to that first game against Wisconsin during the '14-'15 season. My gut is telling me MSU's experience will give them the edge - but I said that 3 years ago and Duke came through in style!

The key is going to be poise. Grayson has a huge opportunity to set the tone and show who he is as a leader. Win or lose, we're going to learn a lot about where our team is right now.

You guys can just direct deposit my check for this win. No need to thank me. :cool:

Reactions: crazyduke3
I totally agree. While his shooting wasn't on, and he struggled to finish at times, he consistently made steals and great decisions in transition. Down the stretch, with the exception of an errant travel, he played well to finish some opportunities and run the show.

Shoutout to his quickness on defense as well. His combination of length, quickness, and anticipation is really stellar. His ability to create live ball turnovers helps a strength of our team, which is getting out in the fast break and finishing.
I’m really liking the way that Trevon is playing so far through the first three games of the season.

Points-13.3 ppg
Assists-10 apg
Steals-4 spg
Turnovers-1.3 topg

Racial? Maybe I'm wrong but JJ and Allen are both white?
Yes. Racial, not racist, per se. They're completely different players... yet they get compared to each other for SOME reason.

And the hate. Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, Collins, Wojo, JJ, Paulus, Josh, Zoubs, Kyle, 3 Plums, Kelly, Grayson... There aren't many Black Duke players in the K era who would crack that list for how much they were hated on by opposing fans.

I did. I'm not saying he's bad Show lol. I'm saying once he has it all together with more big games under his belt he's going to be special.
He’s special now, but I️ hear what your sayin

No disrespect to JJ, but I'd take Allen 8 days a week. He's a complete player and will lead these guys.
I don’t know. It’s a tough call to make. It’s always hard for me to go against what JJ accomplished at Duke! Grayson is a complete player and certainly had a JJ type performance and has a national championship and JJ should have at least one national championship, but what JJ did at Duke night in night out and all the records he broke while at Duke, I’m sorry and this is no discrediting what Grayson has done at Duke whatsoever , but I gotta go with JJ.

Last edited:
I agree with both of you.
JJ has had the better career so far (we'll see what happens this year), and he ranks higher on my list of all-time favorite Duke players.
BUT, if both are seniors and I need one player to come in and get the W, I'd probably go with Grayson. He just has a fire in him.

Reactions: PHXDukie
What a Win! May go back tonight and watch this game again. Allen was on fire.

We beat a possible Final 4 contender with the possible #1 draft pick out 3/4 of the game... let that sink in. I like how this team is playing so well together.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Why even start this? Seriously, it's just dumb and divisive imo. Both are all time greats and are completely different players. Honestly, it feels more like a racial thing more than anything else. Again, just dumb.
You need to put the glue down. The comment was made that Allen's performance was JJ like. I made my comment that I would prefer Allen over JJ, and no disrespect to JJ. You do realize both are white, or are you that dumb? JJ was great, but Allen to me is special. Please don't be an idiot.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Is white/caucasion not a race? It's seriously a lazy comparison. Both guys are white and both can shoot derp derp

A lazy comparison how?? Both are white, can shoot, scoreblike crazy, lead a team, improved over there freshman season. Coach K even compared the two last night before you derp derp me dummy

Yes. Racial, not racist, per se. They're completely different players... yet they get compared to each other for SOME reason.

And the hate. Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, Collins, Wojo, JJ, Paulus, Josh, Zoubs, Kyle, 3 Plums, Kelly, Grayson... There aren't many Black Duke players in the K era who would crack that list for how much they were hated on by opposing fans.

Okay I'm not disagreeing but it's my fault the black guys at Duke aren't hated. My thing was I don't believe comparing the two racial and I don't think anyone else does either. Both are white yes and a point of comparison but not near the only one. Give me a black player at Duke that is closer to Allen? Nolan maybe? But I think we all agree Grayson is better than him and more on the JJ level then him

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Not really. Their guard play isn't good enough to be a real factor imo.

You don't think MSU will be very good by March? Even without Bagley, Duke is a good team and we needed a player to drop 37 (!) points to beat them.

O'Connell wil be the next

You don't think MSU will be very good by March? Even without Bagley, Duke is a good team and we needed a player to drop 37 (!) points to beat them.
MSU IS a good team, and yes they will be better by March, but we beat them without arguably our best player , and we will be better by March as well. Will Grayson score 37 against them again? Maybe, maybe not. But with Bagley playing he probably doesn’t need to.

Player comparisions are inevitable, thats part of the enjoyment we as fans get w/our love of the game and more specifically Duke Basketball.

An innocent comparision and you're trying to stir the pot based on RACE? No way....OFC

Great win. I love this duke team and think they will win a lot of games. The only negative last night was the warm shirts....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT