ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Lax in ACC Title Game

Mark Gastineau

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 26, 2009
We dominated previously #1 Notre Dame on Friday night and get a shot at revenge against Syracuse today. Game starts at 1pm EST on ESPNU. Everyone tune in to watch Coach Danowski lead our boys on another run to the title!

Great 1st quarter. Absolutely terrible 2nd quarter.

15-14 Cuse with 2 minutes left. Duke has the ball.

Tough loss, had their chances. Matheis had a good look but would've liked to have seen Myles get it on that last possession.

Reactions: dbav
Good game. Our guys played with a lot of heart. Looking forward to the NCAAs.

Reactions: Dad2ze
Not the result I wanted, but much more reassuring seeing us stay close with an elite Syracuse squad. I thought it was over after the 1st quarter. Hopefully our guys use this loss as motivation for the weeks ahead. They know they should have had that game, and after playing Notre Dame and Syracuse like that back to back, I have to think our players know they can beat anyone in the country.

Gear up for the tourney fellas. Time to 3-peat!

We can make the FF, not sure if this team can win it all. Maybe Tyus should give pre-game speech.

I think we can certainly win it all. We're peaking at exactly the right time. Also, we've looked great recently in the cage and at the faceoff X. Success at both is necessary for a title.

D and tending need to get a little tighter for the national tournament....Both Dunne and Fowler went to my alma mater....Great kids and I have seen what they can do when they play well. Just need to keep working in practice and fixing the mistakes.

It is important to remember that Duke has won the national title the last two years and neither time were they an especially high seed (I think they were #7 last year); they also never won the ACC title during that span. Hence, yesterday's loss, while disappointing for me on a personal level (I like seeing my friends wins), does not really give me much concern moving forward.

In agreement with others, I feel this Blue Devil squad is peaking at the right time and will be very dangerous...We have as lethal an offensive attack as you will find. Almost impossible to keep us below 12-15 goals....Much like the final 10 minutes of hoops, the key to our title chances will be the defense shaking off what has been a suspect season and rounding into championship form.

D and tending need to get a little tighter for the national tournament....Both Dunne and Fowler went to my alma mater....Great kids and I have seen what they can do when they play well. Just need to keep working in practice and fixing the mistakes.

It is important to remember that Duke has won the national title the last two years and neither time were they an especially high seed (I think they were #7 last year); they also never won the ACC title during that span. Hence, yesterday's loss, while disappointing for me on a personal level (I like seeing my friends wins), does not really give me much concern moving forward.

In agreement with others, I feel this Blue Devil squad is peaking at the right time and will be very dangerous...We have as lethal an offensive attack as you will find. Almost impossible to keep us below 12-15 goals....Much like the final 10 minutes of hoops, the key to our title chances will be the defense shaking off what has been a suspect season and rounding into championship form.
Hofman19, I think we were ranked pretty highly heading into the tourney last year. I want to say we were a top-4 seed.

In my opinion, the team I least want to see again is Denver. Their faceoff guy Baptiste makes me worried, even despite the fact that the Rowe brothers have improved greatly as of late.

I take it back....They were the #1 last year....It was 2013 that they won it all as a #7.

For some reason, I recalled ESPN saying earlier in the year that they were seeded low both years.

Either way, that error is on me for being lazy and not doing research.

It will also help to get Jones closer to full strength. They said he couldn't even get his glove on this week.

It will also help to get Jones closer to full strength. They said he couldn't even get his glove on this week.
And he still turned in a hat trick yesterday. Not to mention, our offense still looked great with him essentially playing a decoy all Friday night. Teams better be concerned when he's at 100%.

And he still turned in a hat trick yesterday. Not to mention, our offense still looked great with him essentially playing a decoy all Friday night. Teams better be concerned when he's at 100%.

Absolutely....Bruckner's smooth transition from middy to attack, coupled with the breakout freshman season by Guterding has kept the Blue Devil offense as potent as ever....Coming into the year, the graduations of Wolf and Dionne had me concerned that the "O" may take a step back....However, happy to see they have not skipped a beat in this regard.

If you look at the main components of our offensive unit, all of them are back next season with the exception of Scott and Keenan...Add in #8 overall recruit Joey Manown (A) and #19 Brad Smith (M) and you have every reason to believe that goals will continue to be plentiful in 2016.

Last edited:
Personally, I would love to see Myles Jones go out a 4-time national champion. At the very least, I hope our boys keep Coach Danowski's Final Four streak going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT