ADVERTISEMENT

Cassius Stanley

ESPN on Cassius:

Stanley is the most gifted athlete Southern California has seen since Corey Benjamin of Fontana (1996). His explosiveness is at the very highest level and he loves to display his incredible bounce in both transition and the half-court. He catches lobs, throws back tip-dunks, and can literally go over-top of contesting defenders with enough momentum at his back. He also owns an element of power to match his leaping ability which makes him a truly elite above-the-rim finisher. He's more than just a one-dimensional athlete though. There is an element of skill to his game as he's a capable ball-handler, creator, and open rhythm shooter. There's a physicality to his game when he puts it on the floor and he is also a willing and able passer off the dribble. His physical tools give him a major defensive upside as well and he already does a relatively good job of keeping the ball in front of him and is an excellent weak-side shot-blocker for a guard. He spends a large amount of time playing with the ball in his hands and long-term he has the potential to play and defend multiple perimeter positions.

ESPN on Cassius:

Stanley is the most gifted athlete Southern California has seen since Corey Benjamin of Fontana (1996). His explosiveness is at the very highest level and he loves to display his incredible bounce in both transition and the half-court. He catches lobs, throws back tip-dunks, and can literally go over-top of contesting defenders with enough momentum at his back. He also owns an element of power to match his leaping ability which makes him a truly elite above-the-rim finisher. He's more than just a one-dimensional athlete though. There is an element of skill to his game as he's a capable ball-handler, creator, and open rhythm shooter. There's a physicality to his game when he puts it on the floor and he is also a willing and able passer off the dribble. His physical tools give him a major defensive upside as well and he already does a relatively good job of keeping the ball in front of him and is an excellent weak-side shot-blocker for a guard. He spends a large amount of time playing with the ball in his hands and long-term he has the potential to play and defend multiple perimeter positions.

Is he like Gerald Henderson ? I haven't seen a lot of video of him?
OFC

Reactions: germantondevil
ESPN on Cassius:

Reading that makes me wonder why he isn't ranked higher. Is it because he hasn't been a great shooter to this point?

No idea how good Stanley is. But if he has a good year, he won’t be here for his sophomore season.
The exposure he’s about to get will be unlike anything he’s ever experienced.

It’s different playing for Duke.

Reactions: christophero
Since we just landed both Matthew Hurt and Cassius Stanley, if RJ Hampton decides to reclassify do ya’ll think he’d still commit to Duke or will he go somewhere else?

Reactions: christophero
I think the RJ ship has sailed, esp since we are now so crowded in the back court. I just want DeLaurier or Bolden back at this point.

Since we just landed both Matthew Hurt and Cassius Stanley, if RJ Hampton decides to reclassify do ya’ll think he’d still commit to Duke or will he go somewhere else?
Doesn’t sound like Duke if he reclassifies. The 5pointplay podcast from yesterday has a good segment on it.

@timo0402 and @dukehokie : I accept bitcoin and Starbucks gift cards for my not free marketing. :D

Hope he has the savvy of Cassius Winston
tenor.gif

Last one. Time for you to go away and come back in 6 months with a new troll account.

Shooting does not seem to be his forte. But him and Alex can split time at the 2.

It’s not his best attribute but he has improved. Quite honestly, him not shooting exceptionally well may be the difference between him going to the draft next season and sticking around.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say he doesn’t shoot the lights out. He still offers great defense and superior athleticism. Then he decides to stick it out one more season like Tre, and learn to shoot the ball for the league.

IMO, that’s best case scenario for Duke, because we do have other shooting guards who can hit from deep, and Cassius isn’t guaranteed 30 mpg. Because of that, the depth is more important and the team is more versatile. Now unlike last season, you don’t have a guy who can’t shoot taking up 35 mpg. That will benefit the squad more.

IMO, that’s best case scenario for Duke, because we do have other shooting guards who can hit from deep,. /QUOTE]

We do? Plural?

I believe the legal term is assuming facts not otherwise in evidence.

Hopefully, Hurt, Baker and a revitalized Jack White cab give Duke some front-court perimeter shooting. Because Moore, Stanley, Jones and Goldwire are all going to have to prove they can join O'Connell as perimeter shooters.

Reactions: dukehokie

I tend to speak positively. I feel the team has better shooting available than last season. Last season was an extreme anomaly. It wasn’t like that was a trend either. On top of that, the guys taking and missing the bulk of the shots are gone. I’m not sure what the issue is with what I stated...

Also you omitted Carey as an excellent shooter and he has done nothing to show that isn’t the case. In legal terms, that is equivalent to innocent until proven guilty.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
B
I tend to speak positively. I feel the team has better shooting available than last season. Last season was an extreme anomaly. It wasn’t like that was a trend either. On top of that, the guys taking and missing the bulk of the shots are gone. I’m not sure what the issue is with what I stated...

Also you omitted Carey as an excellent shooter and he has done nothing to show that isn’t the case. In legal terms, that is equivalent to innocent until proven guilty.

Perhaps on Carey. But he isn't exactly a shooting guard. Duke may well have a weird dynamic next season in which the front-court players are better perimeter shooters than the back-court players. I have talked to some people in the know who think that Wendell Moore has significantly improved his outside shot. He could be the break-out shooting candidate.

B

Perhaps on Carey. But he isn't exactly a shooting guard. Duke may well have a weird dynamic next season in which the front-court players are better perimeter shooters than the back-court players. I have talked to some people in the know who think that Wendell Moore has significantly improved his outside shot. He could be the break-out shooting candidate.

Jim I tend to AGREE with you about the "weird dynamic" next year. VERY POSSIBLE!

OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
Hope Cassius stays for a couple or 3 years and developes into one of these types players that vs one of the other schools get that we here like to talk about in terms of that we would like to have him at Duke and become an All -American after his sophomore year. I love those kind of players. OFC

B

Same here regarding Wendell.

And you’re right, the front court absolutely is going to be more productive offensively than the back court in a lot of statistical categories. I think that’s why K stuck with the 5 out as long as he could. He had a really great team who still had championship aspirations to work the kinks out for a season.

This season, I think he’ll be much more prepared to teach and run this offense and the “K doesn’t coach anymore” crowd can have something cheer about again. The personnel will help as well, as they’ll have to rely on teamwork. For the first time since maybe 2015, Duke presumably doesn’t have a one or two-man show out there on the floor. Teamwork and ball movement will have to hold sway, but that may play to K’s advantage in this case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT