ADVERTISEMENT

Cassius Stanley

Dukie_4_life

Starter
Oct 17, 2008
saw where he added us back to his list and is visiting this weekend.

My question is what does this mean for Boogie and more importantly for AOC? I really was excited about Boogie as I think he is a really good bucket getter. K has never really played a deep bench, and I feel like someone would get buried on the bench between that group.

Just wanted everyone’s input or if you even think we have a shot with him.

saw where he added us back to his list and is visiting this weekend.

My question is what does this mean for Boogie and more importantly for AOC? I really was excited about Boogie as I think he is a really good bucket getter. K has never really played a deep bench, and I feel like someone would get buried on the bench between that group.

Just wanted everyone’s input or if you even think we have a shot with him.
Yea and we picked up some CB picks for him it looks like. I don’t know much about him to be honest. I thought he had eliminated us.

Reactions: Dukie_4_life
He’s not great offensively. Very athletic and they say he’s a pretty good defender. I think I’d rather have him now and build chemistry then get Rj in August. Really is a hard decision. But a good decision to have if you’re duke.

I mean the last time we got a player who “just dunks” it turned out pretty well. You don’t think..maybe...just possibly...it could happen again???

Yeah i don’t think so either

Reactions: dukehokie
He’s not great offensively. Very athletic and they say he’s a pretty good defender. I think I’d rather have him now and build chemistry then get Rj in August. Really is a hard decision. But a good decision to have if you’re duke.
I would rather have another good defender, especially with Moore, Boogie, and Hurt( if we get him) being good shooters.

I would rather have another good defender, especially with Moore, Boogie, and Hurt( if we get him) being good shooters.
Yeah i agree. I feel like our shooting next year won’t be a problem at all. I think he could be useful with our defense looking weak and we don’t have that one guy on the team next year who is just super athletic.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball

I hope we pass on him. He’s a FREAK athlete. I think he’s just as athletic as Zion, but Z’s athleticism for his physique is what made him unique. Problem is that this kid just wants to run people over..... it’ll be offensive-foul galore in Durham if we get him, unless he puts some finesse in it.

I hope we pass on him. He’s a FREAK athlete. I think he’s just as athletic as Zion, but Z’s athleticism for his physique is what made him unique. Problem is that this kid just wants to run people over..... it’ll be offensive-foul galore in Durham if we get him, unless he puts some finesse in it.
Yeah i get that. The thing i look at as a positive with him is that i don’t think he’s a for sure OAD. With that being said he might think he is and that’s all that really matters. But I’m just thinking we could possibly get 2 or 3 years out of him. With Rj we know we’re only getting 1

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Yeah i get that. The thing i look at as a positive with him is that i don’t think he’s a for sure OAD. With that being said he might think he is and that’s all that really matters. But I’m just thinking we could possibly get 2 or 3 years out of him. With Rj we know we’re only getting 1

Bad part about that is that next year’s draft is projected to be really weak. So if he has a decent freshman campaign, he’ll probably be lottery.

Don’t get this at all... then again I’m sitting in my office writing on this board and not on campus in the coaches room.

Well he is only consisting, he hasn't committed yet, so let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Apparently Stanley pushed back his announcement to the day after Hurt’s announcement. Stanley plans on announcing on the 20th.

I have never seen Cassius play or any highlights of him or anything. I didn’t think we were recruiting him and never bothered to watch his game.

Moore and Boogie both are excellent defenders... I’m ok with another good defender but not at the expensive of a prolific offensive player like Hampton.
I’m not really sure Hampton will be coming to Duke if he decides to reclassify. If he doesn’t reclassify then I could see getting him in 2020. Him and BJ Boston would be a fun backcourt.

Cassius is a poor man’s Scottie Lewis from the same class. The staff has wanted an athletic perimeter defender. Getting RJ pushed AOC out the door IMO. Stanley is not a sure-fire OAD candidate (aren’t they all though), meaning he’s not guaranteed 30-35 minutes a game.

There will be time to be had at the 2/3 for Wendell, Joey, Alex, Cassius and Boogie (and Goldwire). Boogie and Alex still offer something Stanley doesn’t and that’s shooting potential.

I still think Alex would get first shot at white team jerseys in practice.

I get why people want it to work out for AOC.....however he is a liability on defense and that does not seem to be changing, he has no interest in playing D........he has had his chances and then his guy scores 2 seconds in and then they score again while the guy is at the scorers table waiting to go in for him.

Give me a guy that can play D all day every day and Coach K can figure out offense. Tony B says hi!

I get why people want it to work out for AOC.....however he is a liability on defense and that does not seem to be changing, he has no interest in playing D........he has had his chances and then his guy scores 2 seconds in and then they score again while the guy is at the scorers table waiting to go in for him.

Give me a guy that can play D all day every day and Coach K can figure out offense. Tony B says hi!

His defense isn’t good but it’s not that bad lol. He passes up a lot of his looks. Which makes him useless. I really hope he has a strong off-season though, we could use some leadership.

Reactions: pisgah101
Give me a defensive minded guard who can rebound and drive to the basket . Alex and Jordan would not attack the basket this year.

Reactions: youngman42
The more i think about it the more i like it. He can play the 2 or 3 can probably defend 1-3 and possibly even smaller 4s and he’s gonna be a driver. Hopefully he’s a good passer and then we can sit somebody like boogie, Alex, or hurt in the corner for him

I was a bit concerned of the Stanley recruitment last week. First, I know he doesn't have a good reputation as a good shooter. He shot 22 for 86 from 3 (25.6%) in the EYBL/Peach Jam games last summer. Second, our bench could be a little crowded... but, I do like what I read here:

Of his improved shooting, Stanley said:“It was a mission of mine to work on my jump shot. I’ve spent hours and hours in the gym on my own, with shooting coaches, everything, to polish my shot. I’m still working on it.”

ESPN.com had this to say about Stanley in its scouting report: “Cassius Stanley might be the most explosive athlete to come out of Southern California in over 20 years and he has all the tools to be not only an electrifying athlete but also an established winning basketball player. Ultimately, he can be as good as he wants to be and his work ethic, focus, and passion will play a key role.”

I wonder how much his shooting has improved? I couldn't find his senior year stats. Hoping it's north of 35%. But I take it K sees a lot of talent in him - and given his athleticism, I take it he would be a stud on defense.

Interesting. Is Alex already gone? Are we choosing between a junior Alex and a freshman Cassius? If we get Hurt and Cassius someone is leaving. I'd say land Hurt and be done with it. This move only make sense to me if someone is leaving. Or more than one. We need some continuity. It's like we have one and done disease and can't stop ourselves. I don't want an entire team of freshman and one sophomore.

Interesting. Is Alex already gone? Are we choosing between a junior Alex and a freshman Cassius? If we get Hurt and Cassius someone is leaving. I'd say land Hurt and be done with it. This move only make sense to me if someone is leaving. Or more than one. We need some continuity. It's like we have one and done disease and can't stop ourselves. I don't want an entire team of freshman and one sophomore.

I believe Alex is out of here. He’s a rising junior and we’re still going after TWO guards in this class. Looks like we will be getting either one of them. If we get RJ then Alex need to just pack his bags. If we get Cassius, Alex better hope he doesn’t improve as a shooter. If he does Alex probably won’t touch the floor

Reactions: christophero
Just watched his videos and he reminds me of Sulaimon who also was not a good shooter.
If Alex make strides this summer on defense and ball handling he will get his minutes.

Reactions: youngman42
When Boogie signed he probably thought it would be him and RJ. Now Tre comes back and we are recruiting RJ and Cassius. Wonder what he is thinking.

Reactions: pisgah101
When Boogie signed he probably thought it would be him and RJ. Now Tre comes back and we are recruiting RJ and Cassius. Wonder what he is thinking.
If a kid coming to Duke isn’t an elite, he ain’t safe. Take this however you choose, but K is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.
The elites will get 30-35 minutes a game. How many minutes are out there for the others is dictated by how many elites are on the roster.

Either he will work hard to win his minutes or he won’t. As a 4 star who did not make McDonald’s team I think he will get 20-24 minutes a game and return for 2nd year. Early in the season before Coach shortens bench:
Jones 32
Ellis 22
Stanley 20
Moore 24
Hurt 28
Carey 28
Javin 15
Bolden 15
White 6
AOC, Jordan, Baker 10 combined
If Hampton signs instead of Stanley I believe he will play 30 minutes meaning less minutes for bench. I also expect Bolden does not return.

I like Boogie but 20 minutes a game sounds high. Oh just read your before coach shortens bench ha.

Honestly, we've had very poor bench production the last two years. O'Connell was sixth on the team in scoring at 4.4 ppg this year. Last year, Bolden was 6th at 3.9 ppg. Would love to have a solid guard like Ellis or Stanley come off the bench. Part of the reason why we've been so dependent on 2-3 guys, is we haven't had a whole lot of offensive firepower off the bench to relieve the pressure from the main cogs.

All I know is we're finally going to have an experienced bench. We have our chance. Let's see what they've got. They all contributed. They need to do it consistently, but they also need a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT