ADVERTISEMENT

Borden, Reeves, and frontcourt transfers...

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
If Bordon is able to contribute next year with a front court transfer, we may be surprised. Reeves is supposed to redshirt so that's good. DUKE needs at minimum either two front court transfers and/or Borden to provide at least 5 to 8 minutes a game.

I'm just guessing here, but I would think Reeves would be ahead of Bordon. I would like to get a PF transfer like Theo and a 6-4ish guard who can defend and shoot. Assuming Keels and Moore don't come back.

Borden I don’t think contributes and it will have to be a fifth year senior IMO . Duke looked at six shooting guard transfer last season and none showed interest . I’m sorry but for all the portal talk I think it will be hard for Duke to pull a player out the portal that will come off the bench and help unless they are a graduate transfer.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
But assuming we lose Keels, Moore and AJ that is a LOT of minutes. We got Theo to come last year, so we need that again. And Banchero, Williams and AJ are probably better than who we have coming in.

Last edited:
But assuming we lose Keels, Moore and AJ that is a LOT of minutes.
Not when you look at Whitehead , Mitchell, Roach . Blake’s , Schutts and possibly Baker. It’s not a whole lot of minutes when you look at Dukes bench rotation and minute distribution. Until the productivity or rather use of the bench changes that’s a hard sale on Dukes part with all the talent in the starting five .

Gonzaga got the Iowa State guard to commit with a 5 star PG, Strawther who is on mock first round drafts, and Nembhard. That guy averaged 17ppg for Iowa State. It can be done if you play guys. It's Jon's job to convince them.

In terms of minutes, we still don't know if Foster is going to reclass. I read on another site that he may make a decision this weekend. I agree that it might be hard to get a really good transfer with so many 5 stars on the way. I know that we would all like to have experience but that much talent might make it hard to sell to a transfer who wants a starting spot.

Reactions: jamsession3
Gonzaga got the Iowa State guard to commit with a 5 star PG, Strawther who is on mock first round drafts, and Nembhard. That guy averaged 17ppg for Iowa State. It can be done if you play guys. It's Jon's job to convince them.
Gonzaga plays their bench! Why you think it was so easy for the Florida five star Neimhard to commit. Duke has not shown a willingness to play theirs it’s that simple .

Reactions: geddoughton23
In terms of development Borden is ahead of Reeves.....
Who knows . There is tape on Reeves not so much on Borden just scouts saying he’s a long term possible prospect .

This was one year I didn't mind a solid 7 man rotation. It worked. It made sense. That being said, we need that veteran presence and consistent contribution. I'm grateful for that five star recruits and truly believe Joey and Roach's leadership will balance everything.

I believe Borden will play, but like Marshall, his best days are his junior and senior years.

Gonzaga plays their bench! Why you think it was so easy for the Florida five star Neimhard to commit. Duke has not shown a willingness to play theirs it’s that simple .
No they don't. Or they didn't last year anyway. They played 8 guys all year, and players 7 and 8 played very low minutes in their real games. Their average minutes look very similar to ours.

Right now, depending on Keels, Moore, and Foster, we have a starting 2 guard wide open. Lots of minutes to be had. We didn't have that to offer last year at this time.

Has Joey said what he intends to do? Our hopes had been high for him this year, and it looked for a while like he would be one of the first off the bench, but by late of the season it was clear that he was coming in only in an emergency or a blowout. I don’t see that changing if he returns. If I was him, I’d take my Duke degree and go play at a mid-major or Division II school, just to end my career with some legit PT. And I would wish him the best as one of our most loyal players over the years.

Has Joey said what he intends to do? Our hopes had been high for him this year, and it looked for a while like he would be one of the first off the bench, but by late of the season it was clear that he was coming in only in an emergency or a blowout. I don’t see that changing if he returns. If I was him, I’d take my Duke degree and go play at a mid-major or Division II school, just to end my career with some legit PT. And I would wish him the best as one of our most loyal players over the years.

Stay and be a leader for those coming in.

No they don't. Or they didn't last year anyway. They played 8 guys all year, and players 7 and 8 played very low minutes in their real games. Their average minutes look very similar to ours.
They do. Prior to Covid that’s what made Neimhard commit. I’ll restate this. Duke looked at six sg’s last season in the portal none showed interest back . It will have to be graduate transfers with a year remaining wiling to compete for a National Championship. Multi year remaining guards in the portal won’t come to Duke given the rate at which they recruit . There is one guard spot with minutes that’s Sg unless Roach leaves . Whitehead could easily slide in there with Baker should he stay at sf. This is why I think one of Proctor or Foster reclass with Foster being the better of the two since he can play off ball.

Reeves is very raw, like still learning the basics of the game raw.
I’ve read different. His redshirt is simply to put on weight and muscle and work on his shot to be able to compete at the college level . He has an old style big man game .

I’ve read different. His redshirt is simply to put on weight and muscle and work on his shot to be able to compete at the college level . He has an old style big man game .
Watch him play - he’s very raw.

They do. Prior to Covid that’s what made Neimhard commit. I’ll restate this. Duke looked at six sg’s last season in the portal none showed interest back . It will have to be graduate transfers with a year remaining wiling to compete for a National Championship. Multi year remaining guards in the portal won’t come to Duke given the rate at which they recruit . There is one guard spot with minutes that’s Sg unless Roach leaves . Whitehead could easily slide in there with Baker should he stay at sf. This is why I think one of Proctor or Foster reclass with Foster being the better of the two since he can play off ball.
Maybe they have in the past. They certainly didn't this year. And you would've thought the would with all the blowout games they play in that weak conference.

And again, last year there wasn't even a sniff of an open starting role or even heavy minutes off the bench. That doesn't seem to be the case this time around, unless one of Moore or Keels stay, or if Foster reclasses.

Maybe they have in the past. They certainly didn't this year. And you would've thought the would with all the blowout games they play in that weak conference.

And again, last year there wasn't even a sniff of an open starting role or even heavy minutes off the bench. That doesn't seem to be the case this time around, unless one of Moore or Keels stay, or if Foster reclasses.
Glad you brought up Foster. Read an article this morning from a day ago that he said it all depends of one of Roach or Keels staying if he reclassified. Also said Scheyer watched him Friday and it will be a decision made by him his family and coach Scheyer. Proctor is not reclassifying and it’s also on that same article he said it himself .

I'll take my lumps if I am wrong, but I've heard nothing that would suggest he's gone.
I’ve heard rumblings but that was before the tourney. This is Roach’s team next year . He’s the floor general it’s up to him if he wants to command the troops or not .

Reactions: jeffrey236
Assuming Keels is gone (which is a shame but inevitable), a backcourt of Roach and Foster is not bad but we need one more guard.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Shutt gets some PT next year, especially toward the end of the season. He could be a Grayson or Eliott Williams type who plays himself into the rotation in February. I just like his shot and his court awareness.

Assuming Keels is gone (which is a shame but inevitable), a backcourt of Roach and Foster is not bad but we need one more guard.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Shutt gets some PT next year, especially toward the end of the season. He could be a Grayson or Eliott Williams type who plays himself into the rotation in February. I just like his shot and his court awareness.
And this would go along ways in letting players develop. Let’s be honest we don’t need the bench players to give twenty minutes a piece but some minutes with keeping the game intact would be nice .

Blakes will be the backup. I believe he will be in Goldwire mold.

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke

I think Schutt is going to be a steal for us. Best pure shooter we’ve had since Kennard. And great court awareness. I think his challenge is going to be having to play defense against a much higher caliber of player than he’s used to seeing.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I don't think it's assured that Roach comes back. I think he will, but it might be 75 percent. Our guys all seem to catch NBA fever this time of year.
Roach needs to reach out to the guys from his recruiting class not named Jalen Johnson to see how they feel now about getting drafted in the late 2nd round or playing somewhere else other than Duke. Ask them how much publicity that they got at aTm, Ole Miss or a couple practice squads.

Roach needs to reach out to the guys from his recruiting class not named Jalen Johnson to see how they feel now about getting drafted in the late 2nd round or playing somewhere else other than Duke. Ask them how much publicity that they got at aTm, Ole Miss or a couple practice squads.
In all fairness Coleman was on sports center a lot and tv for AM. It would have to be a transfer if he was to leave Roach has to show his all around pg skills which he started doing during the tourney and could excel at it next season .

Reactions: jamsession3
In all fairness Coleman was on sports center a lot and tv for AM. It would have to be a transfer if he was to leave Roach has to show his all around pg skills which he started doing during the tourney and could excel at it next season .

Coleman had an opportunity and a good fit. Roach had an opportunity and a good fit. He got us to the FF. Roach will be our PG next year.

I just want the coaching staff to fill up the roster with quality. If Borden plays, great. If we get a solid, veteran BIG and combo guard through transfer... great!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT