ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden announcement tomorrow?

I wonder how many Kentucky fans will be getting a 40-0 tattoo tomorrow once bolden announces.
There's no telling with Kentucky fans but I'll bet they'll be heading back to the tattoo shop hoping to get them covered up a short time later or maybe getting the words "what could've been" tattooed either above or below it lol

Bolden tweeted out the announcement -- "Signing at main gym tomorrow at 1:30PM Desoto, TX"

Unless he's going to play the 2 at UK, there's still a chance Duke can get him, but I still have doubts.

The only 40-0 tattoos they should be getting is if they want a reminder of the highest calculation in a Kentucky math book.
You do realize that UK has some of the top programs in the nation. When my sister chose to go there for pharmacy UK had the 3rd best pharmacy school in the nation.
Edit: when I say top programs I mean 5-7 doctorate programs ranked in the top 30.

Last edited:
There's no telling with Kentucky fans but I'll bet they'll be heading back to the tattoo shop hoping to get them covered up a short time later or maybe getting the words "what could've been" tattooed either above or below it lol
Any UK fan that gets a 40-0 tattoo because of Bolden committing to UK is an idiot. Even if Bolden chooses UK and Lee and Briscoe stay we will have a minimum of 5-7 losses next year. UK will have a pretty good chance of winning the whole thing next year if Bolden commits (as long as selection committee doesn't screw us over to hard).

Well I guess today is the day.

Civu77GXAAANrnl.jpg:large

Credit: @dukeofhoops on Twitter

You do realize that UK has some of the top programs in the nation. When my sister chose to go there for pharmacy UK had the 3rd best pharmacy school in the nation.
Edit: when I say top programs I mean 5-7 doctorate programs ranked in the top 30.

You do realize this is a DUKE message board where we make fun of our enemies right?

In Jerry Meyer's defense, he was the only one that picked Ben Simmons to LSU on the crystal ball. Lykins, Lawless, and Rowe had him pegged to Duke! I also like that fact that Meyer EXPECTS him to announce Duke tomorrow like he has heard something definite, but who knows. We shall see!

In Jerry Meyer's defense, he was the only one that picked Ben Simmons to LSU on the crystal ball. Lykins, Lawless, and Rowe had him pegged to Duke! I also like that fact that Meyer EXPECTS him to announce Duke tomorrow like he has heard something definite, but who knows. We shall see!

He basically said he knows lol so well see

I'd be a bit surprised if he comes here -- but Meyers certainly knows far more than me about this situation and recruiting generally. You never really know with these late-deciders who clearly did not enter this process with any strong favorite -- which is why they're late deciders in the first place. Anyone remember Wiggins picking KU out of nowhere.

I have no clue what the hell is going on! However I just took a stroll on a couple of boards and it looks like the tide is turning back to him possibly picking Duke..... Not sure I believe it, but I will just kick back and watch the show that will ensue.... Speaking of Show, where have you been?!

I love the feud UK and Duke fans have over academics - as if guys like Anthony Davis, Brandon Ingram and other one-and-dones, who attend Duke and UK, care about their majors or the quality of their classes. I doubt Bolden is really focusing on UK's pharmacy school or Duke's law school. IMO.

I love the feud UK and Duke fans have over academics - as if guys like Anthony Davis, Brandon Ingram and other one-and-dones, who attend Duke and UK, care about their majors or the quality of their classes. I doubt Bolden is really focusing on UK's pharmacy school or Duke's law school. IMO.

Okafor currently taking summer classes along with other former players. Would not surprise me if Ingram did the same down the road. This is part of Coach K's recruiting pitch. Cal's, not so much.

Lol. Not sure there's much of a debate about the relative reputations of the two schools. With that said, I would agree that it does not seem as if Bolden's decision is being driven by USNews rankings. Now, that's not always true. I think there are some elite recruits -- e.g., Jabari Parker, Frank Jackson, Tyus Jones, Grayson Allen -- who are partly swayed by our academics. But, Bolden's handling of his recruitment clearly suggests that he's way more concerned about roster fit, playing time, pathway to the NBA, etc. than he is about the academic opportunities at both institutions. And, frankly, that's not surprising or necessarily a bad thing. Regardless of how good Duke is as an academic institution, none of these kids are coming here if we offered anything less than a powerhouse program led by a legendary coach.

Last edited:
Okafor currently taking summer classes along with other former players. Would not surprise me if Ingram did the same down the road. This is part of Coach K's recruiting pitch. Cal's, not so much.
Several UK players have come back and finished degrees or taken classes, some have graduated in 3 years (Patterson and Poythress) - I'm sure Duke players do as well.

I've always balked at the notion that coach's shouldn't pitch academics when recruiting a likely one-and-done. Even if students are only around for two semesters, isn't a possibility that they want to get as much as they can academically out of the time period? I don't mean that in reference to any specific school, I just really like the idea that K pitches Duke academics to all potential players.

Love the Avatar of the beagle.Will it run a rabbit or just eat and sleep?

Thanks! She passed about 3 weeks ago, we live on a mountain and have our yard fenced in and she dug out and was gone for a day and the vet said she got into some antifreeze and didn't make it... But back to you're questions she mainly ate like crazy and slept lol she was a mess

I've always balked at the notion that coach's shouldn't pitch academics when recruiting a likely one-and-done. Even if students are only around for two semesters, isn't a possibility that they want to get as much as they can academically out of the time period? I don't mean that in reference to any specific school, I just really like the idea that K pitches Duke academics to all potential players.

(1) As much as we talk about OADs, reality is that, in any given class, there are probably only a handful of kids who are truly locks to be OAD from the day they set foot on campus. For most, NBA draft projections can fluctuate wildly during a season and many highly-ranked freshmen may find themselves in a position where it makes sense to stay for longer than 1 yr. Just look around college basketball this year. If you look at the top 20 players in the 247 rankings from last year, I believe only 7 are likely to leave -- and frankly a pretty valid argument can be made that at least 2 of that 7 are leaving despite seeing their stock take unexpectedly large tumbles (Labissiere and Diallo). For all but the elite of the elite, the smart move is to pick a school you feel comfortable attending for multiple seasons --- even if the hope / dream is to leave after one.

(2) For even the elite of the elite, I think the academic angle still has some saliency b/c it can be spun as a quasi-insurance policy against a catastrophic injury + a good way to start building a network of business contacts (e.g., through current students who will go on to have important roles in business + with Duke alums).

The only reason Cal is complaining about the academics / business side of the Duke sales pitch is because (i) it does matter to some potential OAD kids, and (ii) that's an important part of the Duke sales pitch that he really can't counter. This is really no different than Cal shedding crocodile tears over Coach K's involvement with Team USA.

Last edited:
I agree, there are lot's of kids who come to college thinking they are going pro early and it doesn't work out for whatever reason - I think of guys like Poythress and Thorton as examples. Duke has an excellent academic reputation - several of the attorneys at my firm graduated UK and went to Duke Law (and are UK fans etc.). I don't understand all the name-calling and fighting on this subject as UK and Duke have gone after many of the same players over the past 3-4 years in particular - seems Duke would only recruit kids who can qualify at Duke and if UK's recruits weren't capable of Duke's academic standards, they wouldn't recruit them. I remember a guy like Brandon Knight, all-American in academics and athletics.

One of the messages K preaches to everyone--even the likely OADs--is that coming to Duke will surround you with excellence in all endeavors and that that exposure can and will be beneficial down the road regardless of how long one stays at Duke, assuming one unpacks one's bags and is receptive to that excellence.

Some recruits are more receptive than others.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 16s17 seconds ago
After a couple of last minute conversations, I think Marques Bolden is likely to pick Duke...hopefully I end up wrong

Duke hater himself changes his mind now too! I still say Kentucky but now, I can't help but get a lil excited
At this point we'll just sit back and enjoy whatever the upcoming season has to bring. If bolden wants to join, great. If not, great. Hopefully he just makes the decision best for HIM, and not either fanbase

Saw Jerry Meyer on Twitter tweet a link but it kept redirecting to his 247 site...maybe it was because I was on a mobile device...someone check it out and see if it might be valid if you are on Twitter @jerrymeyer247

After a couple of last minute conversations, I think Marques Bolden is likely to pick Duke...hopefully I end up wrong

Duke hater himself changes his mind now too! I still say Kentucky but now, I can't help but get a lil excited
Cool! I was just getting ready to post that! I'm starting to get excited but I want to hear it from marques' mouth before I get really really excited.

For those that are really worried about his selection, whether it be Kentucky or Duke, just keep in mind that "It's gonna be OK"!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: twdukefan
What good are doctorate programs to undergrads that likely have no intention of going to graduate school?

The only way that this would make me more sick is if it were a decision between UK and UL. I think he picks Duke at this point. Congrats Blue Devils you should have a heck of a team next year.

The only way that this would make me more sick is if it were a decision between UK and UL. I think he picks Duke at this point. Congrats Blue Devils you should have a heck of a team next year.
And congrats to you as well. UK will be quite a force for years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT