ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I think you are forgetting Matt Jones in 2015. I saw your comment about Grayson, but before they started playing him more Duke did have Sheed until January when he was kicked off the team. So really that year they had Tyus, Cook, Jones, Allen & Sheed until January. The other two years you are correct Duke wasn’t guard heavy but Dunleavy was pretty much a guard in 2001. Nolan & Jon team only had Dawkins as backup guard that came early. So they played pretty much a big lineup in 2010 and didn’t have much of a rotation except the big 4 front court players. Nolan, Jon and Kyle played almost 40 a game. Also Duke got very lucky no injuries happened in any of those seasons. Because they would have been no shot if one of those guards you mentioned went down.

Duke always has injuries, and most freshman are wildly inconsistant. We had 5 guards, now we have 2. We need one more guard and should get one.

Some of you guys all the sudden appear to have no confidence in any of the freshmen being contributors as guards. McCain was a freshmen, and a pretty decent one too. Is it possible one of the freshmen coming in can be of help there?

On the subject of getting another guard, how good should he be?

Reactions: bullcity gamer
I think you are forgetting Matt Jones in 2015. I saw your comment about Grayson, but before they started playing him more Duke did have Sheed until January when he was kicked off the team. So really that year they had Tyus, Cook, Jones, Allen & Sheed until January. The other two years you are correct Duke wasn’t guard heavy but Dunleavy was pretty much a guard in 2001. Nolan & Jon team only had Dawkins as backup guard that came early. So they played pretty much a big lineup in 2010 and didn’t have much of a rotation except the big 4 front court players. Nolan, Jon and Kyle played almost 40 a game. Also Duke got very lucky no injuries happened in any of those seasons. Because they would have been no shot if one of those guards you mentioned went down.
Good Points. Duke was very conservative on perimeter defense. You can do that with Miles, Mason, Lance and Zou.

Reactions: christophero
McCain was a guard not a wing. Not sure why this is a hot take Jon is pursuing portal guards.
No the hot take is this infatuation with getting a guard because of injuries. I get Duke has had their fair share, but name a team in the last 10 seasons that would have still won it all had a starting guard went down?

Do you think Evans, Harris, and Knueppel can’t play some as a guard?

Most teams would kill to be in Duke’s position as of May 1.

Look I am thrilled with Gillis and Brown
Just one more guard like that. I am not as enamored of the freshman as some. I am sure they are good but they are mostly skinny freshman. You need balance is all. McCain and Mitchell were the two I really wanted back, but that didn't happen.

Last edited:
No the hot take is this infatuation with getting a guard because of injuries. I get Duke has had their fair share, but name a team in the last 10 seasons that would have still won it all had a starting guard went down?

Do you think Evans, Harris, and Knueppel can’t play some as a guard?

Most teams would kill to be in Duke’s position as of May 1.
Evans yes, Harris & Kon spot minutes mostly due to defense against college level 2 guards. And I like Kon & Harris a lot, they are more suited for SF than guard at this time or from what I have seen. I hope they are will to develop into the players they should be at Duke.

Last edited:
Duke needs one more guard and they will get him. Someone will come in who will accept a small role who can step in for certain matchup, injuries, and foul trouble. Jon pursuing one last guard as depth is the right move.

I’m all for Duke getting 2-3 more players in the portal. It would benefit Duke for practicing purposes.

At the same time, Duke just needs one of the Freshmen between Knuppel, Harris, and Evans to fill the same role Dunleavy Jr./Dawkins/Allen filled for Duke’s latest NCAA Tournament Championships. I’m confident at least one of those 3 can. Duke is Fortunate to have Proctor and Foster leading the backcourt.

I'm all for getting one more guard who can handle and guard quicker players, but my god I've never seen a top ten ranked recruit so undervalued by his own future fanbase. I really think we just need an emergency player in case of injury. I fully believe Kon will be able to play good minutes at the 2 next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT