ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I think you are forgetting Matt Jones in 2015. I saw your comment about Grayson, but before they started playing him more Duke did have Sheed until January when he was kicked off the team. So really that year they had Tyus, Cook, Jones, Allen & Sheed until January. The other two years you are correct Duke wasn’t guard heavy but Dunleavy was pretty much a guard in 2001. Nolan & Jon team only had Dawkins as backup guard that came early. So they played pretty much a big lineup in 2010 and didn’t have much of a rotation except the big 4 front court players. Nolan, Jon and Kyle played almost 40 a game. Also Duke got very lucky no injuries happened in any of those seasons. Because they would have been no shot if one of those guards you mentioned went down.

Duke always has injuries, and most freshman are wildly inconsistant. We had 5 guards, now we have 2. We need one more guard and should get one.

Reactions: jwill2287
Some of you guys all the sudden appear to have no confidence in any of the freshmen being contributors as guards. McCain was a freshmen, and a pretty decent one too. Is it possible one of the freshmen coming in can be of help there?

On the subject of getting another guard, how good should he be?

I think you are forgetting Matt Jones in 2015. I saw your comment about Grayson, but before they started playing him more Duke did have Sheed until January when he was kicked off the team. So really that year they had Tyus, Cook, Jones, Allen & Sheed until January. The other two years you are correct Duke wasn’t guard heavy but Dunleavy was pretty much a guard in 2001. Nolan & Jon team only had Dawkins as backup guard that came early. So they played pretty much a big lineup in 2010 and didn’t have much of a rotation except the big 4 front court players. Nolan, Jon and Kyle played almost 40 a game. Also Duke got very lucky no injuries happened in any of those seasons. Because they would have been no shot if one of those guards you mentioned went down.
Good Points. Duke was very conservative on perimeter defense. You can do that with Miles, Mason, Lance and Zou.

Reactions: christophero
McCain was a guard not a wing. Not sure why this is a hot take Jon is pursuing portal guards.
No the hot take is this infatuation with getting a guard because of injuries. I get Duke has had their fair share, but name a team in the last 10 seasons that would have still won it all had a starting guard went down?

Do you think Evans, Harris, and Knueppel can’t play some as a guard?

Most teams would kill to be in Duke’s position as of May 1.

Look I am thrilled with Gillis and Brown
Just one more guard like that. I am not as enamored of the freshman as some. I am sure they are good but they are mostly skinny freshman. You need balance is all. McCain and Mitchell were the two I really wanted back, but that didn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwill2287
No the hot take is this infatuation with getting a guard because of injuries. I get Duke has had their fair share, but name a team in the last 10 seasons that would have still won it all had a starting guard went down?

Do you think Evans, Harris, and Knueppel can’t play some as a guard?

Most teams would kill to be in Duke’s position as of May 1.
Evans yes, Harris & Kon spot minutes mostly due to defense against college level 2 guards. And I like Kon & Harris a lot, they are more suited for SF than guard at this time or from what I have seen. I hope they are will to develop into the players they should be at Duke.

Last edited:
Duke needs one more guard and they will get him. Someone will come in who will accept a small role who can step in for certain matchup, injuries, and foul trouble. Jon pursuing one last guard as depth is the right move.

I’m all for Duke getting 2-3 more players in the portal. It would benefit Duke for practicing purposes.

At the same time, Duke just needs one of the Freshmen between Knuppel, Harris, and Evans to fill the same role Dunleavy Jr./Dawkins/Allen filled for Duke’s latest NCAA Tournament Championships. I’m confident at least one of those 3 can. Duke is Fortunate to have Proctor and Foster leading the backcourt.

Reactions: jamsession2
I'm all for getting one more guard who can handle and guard quicker players, but my god I've never seen a top ten ranked recruit so undervalued by his own future fanbase. I really think we just need an emergency player in case of injury. I fully believe Kon will be able to play good minutes at the 2 next year.

I'm all for getting one more guard who can handle and guard quicker players, but my god I've never seen a top ten ranked recruit so undervalued by his own future fanbase. I really think we just need an emergency player in case of injury. I fully believe Kon will be able to play good minutes at the 2 next year.

Some of us like undervaluing the blue devils like Flip the last couple of seasons haha.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
In my opinion, You can never have enough. I don’t have as much faith in the high school evaluations for their impact at the college level in their freshman year. Do I think there is better data? No. However, Jon will not know what he truly has with incoming freshman until they start practicing. Just because they have 5 stars beside their names does not mean they will be good, stay healthy, or have immediate impact as freshman. Examples just off the top of my head: Duval, delaurier, chase jeter, Harry Giles, Joey baker, tj power, Sean Stewart, bolden, j Johnson. I hope all incoming freshman come in as advertised and 4 are oad. The odds of that happening are not realistic for me. Jon will start having pressure to get to a final four this year. If it was my 3rd year of replacing the greatest coach of all time, I would not be complacent and I would bring in as much talent as I possibly could. If there are not enough minutes because everyone is really good, that is a better problem than the opposite.

Last edited:
In my opinion, You can never have enough. I don’t have as much faith in the high school evaluations for their impact at the college level in their freshman year. Do I think there is better data? No. However, Jon will not know what he truly has with incoming freshman until they start practicing. Just because they have 5 stars beside their names does not mean they will be good, stay healthy, or have immediate impact as freshman. Examples just off the top of my head: Duval, delaurier, chase jeter, Harry Giles, Joey baker, tj power, Sean Stewart, bolden, j Johnson. I hope all incoming freshman come in as advertised and 4 are oad. The odds of that happening are not realistic for me. Jon will start having pressure to get to a final four this year. If it was my 3rd year of replacing the greatest coach of all time, I would not be complacent and I would bring in as much talent as I possibly could. If there are not enough minutes because everyone is really good, that is a better problem than the opposite.
OUCH! I will say that some kids had the talent, but the system did not benefit or display what they could do. Furthermore, the lack of maturity for a 18 and 19 year old when they do not get pt is usually negative. This is not the case when there is a CLEAR understanding of their role and what Hard Work looks like.

The list is longer of top 10-15 ranked kids coming to Duke that have had success. Duke has had a very good track record of freshman coming in a having a huge impact from day one. I agree with some that have said we may be undervauling some of our freshman coming in, but getting one last veteran guard is the right move.

Reactions: dukecorey
Duke always has injuries, and most freshman are wildly inconsistant. We had 5 guards, now we have 2. We need one more guard and should get one.

This!

Come on Coach, get us one more serviceable guard with some experience who is willing to be a role player so Chris and I can rest easy until November!

Look I am thrilled with Gillis and Brown
Just one more guard like that. I am not as enamored of the freshman as some. I am sure they are good but they are mostly skinny freshman. You need balance is all. McCain and Mitchell were the two I really wanted back, but that didn't happen.
Harris isn’t skinny by any means . His build is like Trent’s . Harris and Knup can play guard . A combo guard is for insurance and is smart but I don’t see Duke getting a top five combo out the portal unless all the players buy in to something bigger then them .

I’m puzzled as out of the names you mentioned as having an impact and the rosters that were built around them . Delaurier, Baker, Power, Bolden were all four stars and were said to need time to adjust to the college level . Giles was coming off double Achilles injury and no one knew when he’d play again but the staff stuck with him , J. Johnson pretty much quit on that entire team and was said he never fully was committed to college . He didn’t even show up to campus until the last moment . Duval had an impact but wanted to be more of a scoring guard then pg which hurt him going into the draft . The “immediate impact “ is attached to freshman by fans more then recruiting experts . Last year a lot wondered why Power chose Duke given the make up of the roster and him being a small forward .

Harris isn’t skinny by any means . His build is like Trent’s . Harris and Knup can play guard . A combo guard is for insurance and is smart but I don’t see Duke getting a top five combo out the portal unless all the players buy in to something bigger then them .
Skinny isn’t the issue with either Harris or Kon, I believe Chris was more talking about Evans built. I think the only issue for Harris & Kon playing the guard spot would be their athleticism and being able to guard college SG’s. I’m all for them coming in and being capable of those minutes. I’m very happy to have both Harris & Kon on the roster. They are both very good players and are very good shooters and high basketball IQ’s. That is my only worry are they capable of guarding the SG position? Evans being on the skinny side shouldn’t be a problem playing some SG because he is athletic and quick enough plus he has great height.

Last edited:
The list is longer of top 10-15 ranked kids coming to Duke that have had success. Duke has had a very good track record of freshman coming in a having a huge impact from day one. I agree with some that have said we may be undervauling some of our freshman coming in, but getting one last veteran guard is the right move.
Agreed, but my point is that you can’t assume all of these freshman are going to have an impact from day one. Therefore, you should not be complacent and not bring in transfers because of the fear that it might take min from someone else.

This Ivy-Curry guy averaged 17ppg off the bench and 5 rebounds. Yes please. Bring him in and close the barn door. 6-3 senior. If he is good with that role he is perfect.
Per the article..."with the Blue Devils needing an experienced guard to play behind Proctor and Foster"
Stewart's father is supposedly demanding a starting position in the portal for SS, causing Michigan to back off. He may end up at Georgetown.

Last edited:
I've got no issue with Jon going after another guard. As long as whoever is on the team puts Duke first, whether they play 35 minutes a game, or 5.

Jon has made an effort to bolster the roster with some experience and toughness, blending it to fit around a kid 6-9 that is considered to be a can't miss prospect. But some here are acting as if Flagg won't be that good simply because he's a freshman. It is comical, almost to the point that it seems like some would trade him for a 23 year old that played 4 seasons at Hofstra.

This board is now as whacky as the portal is.

Mac there's some middle ground between "generational talent" and 4 year guy from Hofstra. I'm sure Cooper will be very good. :)

Reactions: Jjallen
Ivy-Curry is exactly what we need. Plus he is used to coming off the bench. We need a microwave type scorer who can get hot. Schutt could have had a role on this team IMO or Blakes though he isn’t the scorer we may need.

I’d rather load up with our remaining scholarships, maybe one of the freshman decommit but that’s the game today. Players don’t have any loyalty.

I’m puzzled as out of the names you mentioned as having an impact and the rosters that were built around them . Delaurier, Baker, Power, Bolden were all four stars and were said to need time to adjust to the college level . Giles was coming off double Achilles injury and no one knew when he’d play again but the staff stuck with him , J. Johnson pretty much quit on that entire team and was said he never fully was committed to college . He didn’t even show up to campus until the last moment . Duval had an impact but wanted to be more of a scoring guard then pg which hurt him going into the draft . The “immediate impact “ is attached to freshman by fans more then recruiting experts . Last year a lot wondered why Power chose Duke given the make up of the roster and him being a small forward .
Great Point. We as fans look at the rankings, but do not acknowledge THIS IS DUKE! Sometimes you have to stand in line and wait. Sometimes you have to play your role. And then, there are times you think your ranking actually satisfies the requirements to compete as a Blue Blood player in the ACC.

Bolden would've been a #2 option at most schools with the right amount of touches. Javin was a good mid - major that learned his role at a Tier 1 School. Power and Baker were redshirt candidates. Giles never achieved his potential. Duval had an ego. J. Johnson should've played in the PAC 10 or at a school with vets for leadership.

Going to the right school is just essential.

Reactions: sheyduke
I've got no issue with Jon going after another guard. As long as whoever is on the team puts Duke first, whether they play 35 minutes a game, or 5.

Jon has made an effort to bolster the roster with some experience and toughness, blending it to fit around a kid 6-9 that is considered to be a can't miss prospect. But some here are acting as if Flagg won't be that good simply because he's a freshman. It is comical, almost to the point that it seems like some would trade him for a 23 year old that played 4 seasons at Hofstra.

This board is now as whacky as the portal is.
Exactly Mac!
Some even think Jon might be building for the future and not trying to win a championship. Talk about crazy. You come to Duke to win a championship. We don’t rebuild, we reload and I think Jon is doing a great job with the additions he’s bringing in. Losing Mitchell is not as bad as many are suggesting. He killed our spacing offensively.

I’m puzzled as out of the names you mentioned as having an impact and the rosters that were built around them . Delaurier, Baker, Power, Bolden were all four stars and were said to need time to adjust to the college level . Giles was coming off double Achilles injury and no one knew when he’d play again but the staff stuck with him , J. Johnson pretty much quit on that entire team and was said he never fully was committed to college . He didn’t even show up to campus until the last moment . Duval had an impact but wanted to be more of a scoring guard then pg which hurt him going into the draft . The “immediate impact “ is attached to freshman by fans more then recruiting experts . Last year a lot wondered why Power chose Duke given the make up of the roster and him being a small forward
Shey, regardless of why those kids did not work out, they did not. That’s my point. My philosophy is to get as much talent into Durham as possible because we can’t rely on every freshman to have “immediate impact” because they won’t. That’s why I want to see Jon continue to be aggressive in the portal.

Great Point. We as fans look at the rankings, but do not acknowledge THIS IS DUKE! Sometimes you have to stand in line and wait. Sometimes you have to play your role. And then, there are times you think your ranking actually satisfies the requirements to compete as a Blue Blood player in the ACC.

Bolden would've been a #2 option at most schools with the right amount of touches. Javin was a good mid - major that learned his role at a Tier 1 School. Power and Baker were redshirt candidates. Giles never achieved his potential. Duval had an ego. J. Johnson should've played in the PAC 10 or at a school with vets for leadership.

Going to the right school is just essential.
I agree with some of this as well and it’s exactly why I’m skeptical that all 6 freshman work out for us this year. How are yall certain that none of these players also have egos, will be immediate contributors, or won’t get injured? Y’all are missing my point. Bring in as much talent as possible.

This Ivy-Curry guy averaged 17ppg off the bench and 5 rebounds. Yes please. Bring him in and close the barn door. 6-3 senior. If he is good with that role he is perfect.
Per the article..."with the Blue Devils needing an experienced guard to play behind Proctor and Foster"
Stewart's father is supposedly demanding a starting position in the portal for SS, causing Michigan to back off. He may end up at Georgetown.
I mention this early in this thread . It was more than playing time with Stewart .

Reactions: timritterus
Shey, regardless of why those kids did not work out, they did not. That’s my point. My philosophy is to get as much talent into Durham as possible because we can’t rely on every freshman to have “immediate impact” because they won’t. That’s why I want to see Jon continue to be aggressive in the portal.
But he’s not being aggressive he’s being selective . Duke isn’t getting top notch transfers unless they only bring in one to two star freshman . Only one team can win it all and all these teams stacking up on portal players don’t bother me . Only five players can be on the floor at one time .

I agree with some of this as well and it’s exactly why I’m skeptical that all 6 freshman work out for us this year. How are yall certain that none of these players also have egos, will be immediate contributors, or won’t get injured? Y’all are missing my point. Bring in as much talent as possible.
You're right, we don't know how all six of the freshmen will be, or if any of them will get injured. On your point about talent, if you're talking about talent that fits, then I agree. But it will fail, and fail miserably, to just simply sign as much talent as possible. There's one basketball to be shared by multiple guys.

The 17-18 team may have been the most talented team K had during the oad era. Talk about egos. They may have made the Elite 8, but they couldn't spell team, much less play like one. Duval gets the bad rap, but he was far from the only one on that squad that had issues. I bet a few of them walked around with a mirror in their pocket, and I bet if you hooked K up to a polygraph, he'd admit it was one of his least enjoyable teams.

I was glad when that season was over.

Last edited:
I know we seem a bit off-balanced with a lot of small forwards, and not many guards. If you want to look at a really weird roster construction, look no further than the 2017 team. You could argue that we had 7 centers on that team lol.

Centers (7):
Amile Jefferson (body of a 4, but mostly played the 5)
Harry Giles
Chase Jeter
Marques Bolden
Javin DeLaurier
Antonio Vrakovic
Sean Obi

I'm in agreement with if the HS Talent translates to College Talent. This is where roles and responsibilities must be identified. Many of us saw Mark Mitch as a bruiser. He didn't want that role. Many of saw Reeves as a 'Lively Type'. He did not get any playing time. It's about patience. As Duke fans, patience is not a strong characteristic of ours.

Reactions: DBM0828
I'm in agreement with if the HS Talent translates to College Talent. This is where roles and responsibilities must be identified. Many of us saw Mark Mitch as a bruiser. He didn't want that role. Many of saw Reeves as a 'Lively Type'. He did not get any playing time. It's about patience. As Duke fans, patience is not a strong characteristic of ours.
I agree 100%.

Reactions: DBM0828
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT